The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Cabaye – The Wall Was So Tall – I Hope I’m Doing Well

9:23 am, Monday, March 11th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

Yohan Cabaye was interviewed after the game and he talked about that free kick of his, and also on the Premier League debut of local lad Adam Campbell, and Yohan’s English was a bit choppy, and he admitted his English is not very good.

Yohan Cabaye  Newcastle United

Yohan Cabaye – scoring from free kick yesterday

The goal yesterday was Yohan’s 11th goal for Newcastle in 62 appearances, and it came only a few minutes after Cheick Tiote had given away a rather stupid penalty,by lunging in on Jonathan Walters – just what the Stoke striker was hoping for.

This is what Yohan Cabaye said on nufcTV after the game:

“Fantasic – It was a very tough game, Stoke came here with a nice shape, a nice unit, 4-4-2.” “It was very difficult for us to play but we won the game at the end – it was fantastic.”

“I love this kind of free-kick and I practice it loads at the training ground, that goal meant we stayed in the game. I’m happy for myself and the team.”

“No I couldn’t put much pace on the ball, that is why I wanted to move the ball but the referee didn’t want to.”  “The wall was so tall I couldn’t put much pace on the ball, I just had to try to hit the target.”

“The manager trusts me.” “My English isn’t very good to speak in the dressing room, I just want to lead the team on the pitch and I hope I am doing well.”

And finally Rob Scanlon asked the French International about 18 year-old Adam Campbell, who made his Premier League debut coming on after 87 minutes for Yoan Gouffran, and this is what Cabaye had to say:.

“He’s a young lad and he has a very good mentality and he wants to play for the club because he’s from Newcastle, and he has a big relationship with the crowd, and he will be working hard to keep in the team – and he can score goals for the team – so I very happy to see him on the pitch.”

Yohan needs to improve his English, especially if he is to be our new captain next season, should Colo leave in the summer, but come to think of it the Argentine’s English isn’t that good either.

But Yohan does his talking on the pitch , and he will keep doing that –  his goals are just so beautiful to watch.

Note – today, we are helping out one of our long time avid readers David Whelan, who’s recently written a science fiction novel and had it self-published – so here’s the site, and the novel’s called the Silent Saga – we are not getting anything out of this – we are just trying to help David out a little.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League · Yohan Cabaye

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 Rainrix // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Complimenting stoke yohan? Tsk tsk bad form, mans clueless sell him in the summer.

• 2 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Rainrix…He’s clearly letting Stoke know they should come in and make an offer for him. We’re clearly just a stepping stone club. By next year he’ll be lining up in those famous red and white stripes and doom will fall upon us.

• 3 WWYCD // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Fair play to the ref for not allowing Cabs to move the ball back a bit, think he had a good game over all specially dealing with Cisse’s new found temper (which he needs to sort out) it did pi$$ me off how MOTD2 dealt with it considering they laughed at Suarez’s antics which were far worse and more frequent

• 4 toonaids // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM

motd2 pundits are pathetic, that specky presenter is an absolute waste of time! even the additional pundits are the pits, surely they can do better than that.

• 5 WWYCD // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I was close to emailing the Beeb and complaining about how pathetic MOTD has become (MOTD2 especially)

• 6 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Jesper…(from last thread)…Do you not think now is kind of the time to consolidate and just try to get something out of this season? I don’t think shaking too many things up now, with 9 games to go is really the answer tbh.

• 7 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Seen the image of Cisse scoring the winner.
    Does anyone else think he looks the double of the great Andy Cole.

On the Ref

I thought he had a good game – didn’t flash the card for every tackle and kept the lid on the explosive situations.

The ‘Chav in the tracksuit’ Pulis was as entertaining as the game at times

• 8 Rainrix // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Ibiza… Of course who wouldnt want to play their peak football in the bright lights of stoke city!

• 9 Rainrix // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Might as well join in with the bile. Yes MOTD2 sucks horrendously murray has to be the most irritating presenters on TV, honestly i’d rather watch chiles

• 10 Carryingcoals // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM

rainrix

chiles?! let’s not be too hasty here…

• 11 Transfer Sage // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Rainix

Rather watch chiles? Your a mad man haha.

The combo of him, keane, southgate and stracken works perfect for England games though. Your so bored listening to their comments that the drivel England serve up I actually entertaining in comparison.

• 12 Rainrix // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Carrying… I haven’t seen him present anything for a while, so I’ve probably forgotten how bad he is :). Seriously how that man gets work is beyond me.

• 13 Fostino // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM

whats encouraging is that we now have a good squad as we have a good replacement for every position (perhaps st the exception)

krul
    debuchy, taylor, mapou, santon
    sissoko, cabaye, tiote
    hba, cisse, gourfran

elliott
    simpson, williamson, colo, hairidra
    perch, marv, anita
    jonas, shola, obertan

subs: r.taylor, gosling, bigi, adam, fergusion, sammy, vuckic, abeid

granted we’ll lose simpson & colo in the summer so a goalscoring cb who can dominate the air and a quality striker is needed. a winger who can cross would be sweet as well.

• 14 Harley // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I hope I’m wrong but I just can’t see Campbell making it at the top level.
    I’ve heard so many “next big thing” stories over the years and none of them have come through. Braysen, Holland, Robinson, Chopra spring to mind but I’m sure there’s more.

He looks so tiny on the pitch and I can’t think of 1 English player his size who’s gone on to be successful.

He may prove me wrong and I hope he does but ill be amazed if he can do it.

• 15 Rainrix // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Sage…. Brilliantly put. Didn’t realise i was opening the gates of hell here lol. :)

• 16 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Rainrix
    Whoa whoa whoa Colin Murray is a tw@ but let’s not be to hasty I’m mean chiles! The man is painful!

As for cabs comments
    When he says his English isn’t too good i’m going to assume what he really meant to say is “stoke are an absolute embarresment of a team who seem to have confused football with rugby, except when you tackle them they turn into ballerina’s, especially that sissy boy jerome”
    Gave to say that free kick was top draw, the technique to beat the wall and keeper from the edge of box is unreal

• 17 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Ibiza…I don’t AP to make a 180 degress makeshift – I want to see improvement on how we set up the game and what changes he will be making to turn the game around.

…my biggest problem with him is the infamous ‘kill your darling’ quote 😉 Subs was right yesterday for once (don’ take the word once directly), but he need to learn to use subs more proactive.

At SJP against a team like Stoke I expect us to chase a win; if what you are doing is not working you need to change it (tactics and subs). We made our first sub at 73 min. Stoke had scored when Marv was warming up. Marv and Haidara came on just as we equalized.

So we are either chasing a draw and making it more difficult to get the three point than it should have been.

This has actually been one of the major criticism from the commentators lately (at least on the channels I have been watching the games) We can still finish 10th and go all the way in the EL, but it won’t happen if AP doesn’t lean fast.

As I said I am a very demanding person (try working with me ;)) lol

• 18 geordiemark // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

harley

paul brayson is my cousin, he never had any chance at st james at all, keegan was signing top players constantly and he scrapped the reserves at the time so our paul really had no chance he moved to other clubs didnt do to bad

we have to have our younger players coming through the ranks at st james and be given time to mix in, we should look to other countries like holland,france and even germany who bring the kids from an early age like 6-7 years old

• 19 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Jesper…Not sure I get where you’re coming from in respect of the Stoke game, maybe the rest of the games this season though :)

Marv was warming up, so the change was already in mind, no? It just so happened they got a penalty from a silly challenge from Tiote, apart from that we were mainly in control.

I think we’re well set to get top 10 now tbh, even with Pardews normal tactics.

For me, I’d like to see improvements made to set plays for the remainder of this season, the other aspects can wait until the summer.

• 20 geordiemark // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM

am used to the way sky sports,bbc,espn,itv they all put the toon down one way or another and the more they get away with it the more they will do it but they never do it when its live at st james park I wonder why …………. gutless springs to mind

• 21 Goodfella // Mar 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I’m sure motd2 has got a new line up for next season, but it isn’t going to get any better with mark chapman from espn

• 22 blew // Mar 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Harley @ 14
    Michael Owen is the same height 5’7 and he was good in his day. He did look tiny against a very tall Stoke side.
    We rarely bring top players through the youth regime, Gazza being the exception.
    Yesterday was frustrating watching repeated high balls which were easy meat for Stoke, when we lack a competent header of the ball.
    Great free kick from the skipper

• 23 geordiemark // Mar 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM

who needs the comentators anyways I always turn the volume doon as soon as they open there gobs haha

• 24 Black and White Blood // Mar 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Harley @14

Defoe, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Owen…

He’s got a chance. I’m actually beginning to think Pardew knows what he’s doing with Campbell. Keeping him as cover for Cissé and Shameobi has proved to be a wise move and the lad was obviously stoked to be involved with a goal even if it was the last few minutes of the match.
    I’d say the message to him from Pardew is ‘keep pushing, you’ll get some run-outs over the close of the season and get you prepped for next year.’ Which is absolutely right, IMO. The squad needs him and I think he’ll take his chance and nick one or two before the summer.

• 25 custurd // Mar 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Harley (14) “I hope I’m wrong but I just can’t see Campbell making it at the top level (….) he looks so tiny on the pitch and I can’t think of 1 English player his size who’s gone on to be successful”.

Peter Beardsley is a whole inch taller…

• 26 Black and White Blood // Mar 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Custard @25

… Beardsley isn’t one to mention mate… we brought him through and then let him go… before buying him back. Like Liverpool want to do with Ince.

• 27 Harley // Mar 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Not Campbell bashing here he seems like a great pro and I pray he comes good.
    More a reflection of me not getting my hopes up as we never seem to be able bring through top youngsters like alot of other clubs.

Even our biggest academy success in recent years (andy Carroll) was a surprise hit. He was going to be sold in the championship but no one fancied him.

I’d love Campbell to come through but imo we need some real good technical coaching at the academy as what we’re doing at the minute doesn’t seem to be working.

• 28 Harley // Mar 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Oh and Wikipedia has him at 5ft 7. There is no way he is that tall.

• 29 Black and White Blood // Mar 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I’d love to know who’s doing the ball control at Spurs. Their passing is slick and their touches are well conditioned. AVB has them looking so different to last year.

• 30 fergies left foot // Mar 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM

What players Verthongen and Dembele are, brilliant to watch! Cant wait to see Belgium in brazil next year!

——————-Courtois————————-
    Aldereiweld-Kompany-Verthongen-Vermaelen
    ———–Witsel—————Dembele———
    ——————-Fellaini———————
    Hazard—————————–De Bruyne—
    ——————Benteke—————————

Bench- Mignolet.De Buyten, Mertens, Lukaku, Mirallas..

just ridiculous… wouldnt swap that for the holland-side

• 31 tenpointnine // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Harley, I appreciate that like the rest of us you want Adam Campbell to succeed, but to answer your question, Jermain Defoe is also 1.7m / 5′ 7″.

I am not even goint to mention non-English players, such as about Messi, Xavi and Iniesta, all listed as 1.7m. I refuse to mention them!

Seriously, if he emulated Jermain Defoe’s goalscoring record, most people on here would be quite happy.

• 32 Dubaigeordie // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I think Cabaye is quality, he does lose his head sometimes and makes silly tackles but he reminds me of a xabi alonso at liverpool, i think screw keeping colo at captain he is going to leave in the summer anyway.

so why not make Cabaye captain for the rest of the seaon get him and the team used to it get rid of bloody jonas gutierrez hes a hard worker but everytime he has the ball he just gives it away!

would like to see one more quality winger in, one CB and one stiker with pace who can finish as well !

previous post: Let’s Give This Newcastle Sub The Credit He Deserves