The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Campbell – I Want To Be Like Andy Carroll – But Not Leave

1:17 pm, Monday, March 11th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 44 Comments

Newcastle United Academy graduate Adam Campbell made his premier league debut yesterday in front of over 50,000 Newcastle fans, and the lad got a warm welcome from the Geordie crowd, and Adam had a hand in the dramatic winner that Papiss Cisse slotted home after 92 minutes.

adam campbell congratulates cisse stoke late goal

Adam Campbell congratulates Cisse at St. James’ Park yesterday

It seems like a still dazed Adam Campbell had this to say when interviewed on nufcTV after the game:

“To be honest with you, it hasn’t really sunk in yet.” “I was just sitting there in the dressing room before and one of the kit men was like ‘just think, you’ve just played in the Prem.’ It’s just hard to believe that I’ve actually made my debut in the Premiership.”

“I’d been told to get ready and keep warm and everything by Steve Harper, who’s been there and done that. He was keeping me right and telling me to go out and warm up and keep sharp and stuff like that. Then the gaffer turned round and told me that I was going on with five minutes left – and that’s what happened.”

“I felt like I was invisible for the first couple of minutes I was on – I was getting a bit worried I wasn’t going to get a touch.” “But it fell nicely and I looked up and Sylvain had found himself a lovely bit of space and did the rest. It was a great ball and Papiss just did what he does best to round off a memorable day.”

“You couldn’t have written it. It’s magic. It’s hard to explain it – I’m just lost for words, really.” “The manager did tell me to go and get warmed up and said that I was going to get on but obviously he had to bring Yohan (Cabaye) off because he was getting a bit tired and you’ve got to keep the vice-captain happy.”

“So I understood his decision and I respected it and today’s more than made up for it. Not only have I made my debut in the Prem but I made it at St. James’ in front of 50-odd thousand people and as you heard, they were flipping electric weren’t they?

“I’ve been coming here nearly 15 years now to watch all the games and everything, hearing them shouting for other people. The last time I heard them shout like that was when Andy Carroll used to come on as a sub, when he was first breaking through and they went absolutely nuts for him as well.

“Hopefully I’ll follow in his footsteps – but not leave.” “I think it’s always nice to see local lads come through, whether it’s me or Remie Streete or Sammy Ameobi or whoever it is. I think it just adds that bit more when it’s a youngster and a young local lad who’s been here and had the same joy and pain as they all have.”

“So I think it was nice for them as well as it was for me.” “I think she was quite happy with the present I got her this morning but I think that one’s just totally blown that out of the water.”

That was Adam’s second appearance for the Newcastle first team, his debut came against Atromitos last August, but he’s likely to get a few run-outs in the first team  before the end of the season,  with Newcastle having only three recognized out-and-out strikers in Papiss Cisse, Shola Ameobi and Yoan Gouffran, after Demba Ba was sold in January to Chelsea.

We expect Newcastle to bring in a striker and a center-half this summer to further bolster the Newcastle squad.

It was good to see Adam make his home debut for Newcastle yesterday – he seems a great lad.

Note – today, we are helping out one of our long time avid readers David Whelan, who’s recently written a science fiction novel and had it self-published – so here’s the site – the novel’s called the Silent Saga – and we are not getting anything out of this – we are trying to help David out a little.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Adam Campbell · Newcastle Academy · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth · Premier League

44 responses so far ↓

Wijnaldum
    CISSE

Champions league??

• 2 Carryingcoals // Mar 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Get in son!

• 3 toonincheek // Mar 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Bit much to say he ‘had a hand in’ the goal.
    But let’s not take away his contribution.
    Love the picture of Cisse having to bend down to congratulate him!

• 4 toonincheek // Mar 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Toonandy –
    Doesn’t count as a ‘first’ when you just copy an unrelated comment from another thread.

• 5 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 11, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Just don’t grow a pony tail lad :)

• 6 Constanstine // Mar 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I hope he gets a 20-30 min game before the end of the season to show what everyone been talking about him.

• 7 Nufc-83 // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:03 PM

looks good to me both times i have seen him in the first team. You can tell a good player by his touch and movement when in possession of the ball and he looks like he could be a top top player to me.

Gouffran on the other hand works so hard and is an excellent addition to the team but just doesnt have that quality on the ball to be a top player imo.

• 8 ToonAndy // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Toonincheek…. I’m not 5 years old mate… I wasn’t trying to get a “first” but thanks for the advice

• 9 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM

• 10 tequilamag // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Ibiza, almost everyone. Pretty sure Catchy has mixed feelings.

• 11 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Tequila…Good point. Should we notify Marveaux and request he stop telling lies?

• 12 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Jesper…Just read your response on the last thread about Pardew and expectations etc.

I feel we may start going round in circles soon, but…

Yes we got 5th last season with the same squad, but did have some new curve balls for this season.

1) EL
    2) Excessive injuries.

Anyway, you know my thoughts, I know yours, at the end of the day we all agree that more work needs to be put in to certain areas of our game and that we’re all pleased to be picking up results again and that we may be able to salvage something from this season, which looked very bleak a short little while ago.

• 13 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Ibiza…didn’t realize we had moved on 😀

• 14 Rainrix // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Ibiza… Dont forget number 3) Pardew being an incompetent fired chicken salesman. He’s the main reasons as we all know, surprised you forgot him.

• 15 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Jesper….You have to be alert if you wanna keep up :)

• 16 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM

And you can stop with your excuses too….

Sorry, couldn’t resist!

• 17 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Rainrix…Glad you’re here to bring some much needed balance and thought to the debate :)

• 18 Rainrix // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Ibiza… It offends me when someone misses a perfectly good opportunity to slag of pardew. :)

• 19 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Was outside playing football with junior…or as he calls it ‘Newcastle football’ 😉

…what a good lad!

Ohh and put a sock in it lol

• 20 tequilamag // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Jesper, you really have to stop taking it personally when someone disagrees with your argument. How was my point a cheap shot?.
    To respond to your 2+2 = s point. The difference between last season and the start of this one when results were poor can be summed up by we had very little injuries last season compared to the horrendous run of injuries we had in the first half of the season.

• 21 Rainrix // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Jesper… Newcastle football? Was he constantly lumping it over your head by chance? 😉

• 22 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 11, 2013 at 2:59 PM

No he was threatning to fire me 😉 lol

…and i was defending myself with age and bad weather!

• 23 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Okay, I have my sock ready, just awaiting instruction…

Jesper…Newcastle football? Top lad indeed, but I guess he’s not very good and is a slow learner? :)

• 24 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Jesper…Threatening to fire you? That’s not Newcastle football anymore…any clueless idiot can keep their job these days.

On the age issue, that’s not an excuse but a viable explanation…I mean, man you’re old 😉

• 25 mindshaft // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I know Pards isnt perfect but he does give the young uns a chance, obviously its then down to them to take it.
    part of the problem before Jan is that they didnt have the ability to step up to the plate, if you’re good enough then you’re old enough – sadly fergie, sammy and tavernier arent at prem level yet, hopefully cambell will change that
    Also think Pards pretty much got the tactics spot on yesterday – well apart from corners / free kicks
    Stoke are a difficult team to beat and lumping balls into the box is pretty much pointless ( well, especially when you just lob a slow cross near the goalkeeper so he can just catch it

• 26 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM

tequila…it is just a cheap shot and you know it does it anyway!

…if I only could see the fun in it I would laugh but I don’t.

If you want to have a debate you need to bring someting else to the table thsn these comparisons that holds no water.

I know your stand point so when you comment on mine show some courtesy! I am not going down this road with you one more time!

• 27 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Ibiza…no no he is top draw (it is his father whom is slow) 😉

…you know what to do with that sock! lol

• 28 Rainrix // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Ooooo are we bashing old men again?

Jespers so old that he’s got hieroglyphics on his driver’s license. 😉

• 29 Rainrix // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Jesper… Dont take it out on me, ibiza started it again I’m just a sucker for going along with what the cool kids are doing :)

• 30 tequilamag // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Jesper, having reread the post there is nothing that can be described as being uncourteous. I made exactly the same point as Ibiza.
    For a grown man you seem very immature and react very badly to anyone who counters your argument(unless it`s Ibiza)

• 31 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Jesper…I know what to do with a sock, but I feel we may be thinking along different lines 😉

For what it’s worth, I don’t think Tequila was making a cheap shot, but it is his (and my) belief that our turn around in results, which coincided with our new purchasers shows that lack of activity in the summer and injuries played a big part in our bad results earlier in the year. I’m not sure why that is any less valid or more of a cheap shot that what you’re saying tbh. Some might claim you calling them “excuses” is a bit of a cheap shot, when it is really what people think.

Mindshaft…I think some of those youngsters would have done better if introduced within a team that was doing well, unlike the scenario they found themselves in. I mean there were occasions when 2 or 3 of them were starting together, whereas Campbell was the only youth player on Sunday and played 5 minutes…completely different type of pressure.

Still, I think those lads going out on loan was the right call and shouldn’t be seen as punishment for not taking their chances earlier as sadly a bit too much was being asked of them at the time.

• 32 Tsunki // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Steady on – What have I told you lot about this sort of thing?

No really – what have I told you lot? I can’t remember…..

• 33 Transfer Sage // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:17 PM

This debate again…oh my goodness.

Basically of pardew performed the same as last year we would be worse off as have had a lot more injuries than last season.

But I still think he made a few more mistakes than last year and that has cost is 5-8 points in games we could and should have got more from this year. A forgivable sin though.

Biggest issue with pards is we haven’t kicked on wih set plays. It’s a basic of the game and man utd have over 10 goals from corners this year to our 0. And that includes two from evra so it’s not just our lack of height.

But we are gradually getting better so might as well stick by him. Seems everyone gets on and wants to better themselves which is a hard thing to instill into people in any profession.

Vive le revolution

• 34 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Am I a cool kid now? Awesome!

Let me lead you astray young rainrix muhahhaa.

• 35 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Tequila…about injuries. Last season wr lost Saylor early in the season and had to play with no backup for Willo and Colo all season.

Benny didn’t figure before January and w sogned Cisse that month ad well. Both Ba, Cisse and Tiote was at the ACON and Tiote missed half the games lasy season. Cabs had aloy of injuries as well meaning the midfield was stretched beyond anything we have seen before (Guthrie missed a lot of games as well)

If I remember correctly Shola missed the las par of the season as well and Best the beginning.

This season has really not been that much worse!

We can go on like this all night if you would like?

You know it is funny how I don’t take oter people disagreeing with me personally! Maybe you jusy rub me the wrong way (and I think you know that)

What do you suggest we do about it? I have an idea!

• 36 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Rainrix
    Pardews so stupid that when i pointed out a dead pigeon to him he looked up!
    And jespers so old his national insurance number is 1!!!

Gotta say Adam Campbell makes all the right noise’s, like the little Carroll dig! Hope he keeps his head down and keeps grafting away, hopefully a loan spell will do him good

Speaking of catchy I’m guessing he hasn’t been on since the Swansea game? Funny that! Almost as funny as beefman claiming he was a positive poster followed by 2 days of pardew bashing, including slagging him off for hypothetical situations!!!
    Bout time findus recalled beefman think the lads been contaminated!

• 37 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Tequila…your comparison is still thin. I don’t mind you have a different opinion. On this matter I couldn’t care less.

The difference on the matter at how is how you deliver it. Ibiza can joke about it and he is not pompous about!

Are we naming charecter treats now? You tell me when it is my turn (ohh wait I done do that thing)

• 38 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:26 PM

*don’t

• 39 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Jesper
    Hmmm not sure about the injury argument at all mate, tiote didn’t miss many games apart from ACON and cabs really didn’t miss that many games either 5-6 maybe? Taylor was out yes but Willo played well last season and was part of a solid defence
    This season we didn’t field a consitant starting 11 til January, last season was a completely different scenario

• 40 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM

tads…you can only make old people’s jokes if you are younger than me! 😉 lol

• 41 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Okay something is wrong with the keyboard on this pad (not all the letters are showing)

• 42 tequilamag // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Jesper, good lad, get it off your chest. I am sure you will feel much better.

• 43 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM

excuses excuses :)

• 44 Jinky Jim // Mar 11, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Just think how good we would be if we could take corners!!

previous post: Pardew Ecstatic For Newcastle Fans