Can Newcastle Get To The Europa League Quarter Finals?

Newcastle are doing their very best to try to get a big crowd at the game against Anzhi on Thursday night to roar on the lads, and tickets for the game have been cut to £15 for adults and £5 for concessions.

Yohan Cabaye  Newcastle United

Yohan Cabaye scoring from free kick on Sunday

And certainly Yohan Cabaye is hoping for a big crowd against Anzhi, because the more fans we get at the game the better it will be for Newcastle, and it will enhance our chances of going through to the quarter finals.

This is what current captain Yohan Cabaye said today in the Evening Chronicle:

“We wanted to score a goal, but unfortunately Hatem missed the big chance.” “For the second leg, we know we must score goals.”  “I think we will score goals – we have players who can score in this game.”

“We will be positive and we have confidence too. We will have the backing of our fans; that is important to us.”  “We know there will be a big crowd at St James’s Park. We want to do well for them, and reach the quarter-finals.”

“That is our aim, and we will do everything to achieve this – we want to stay in this competition.”  “We were happy with the result, but it’s the same scenario as last week. We need to win – it’s simple for us.”

“We can change our game-plan and type of play.”  “They have a lot of quality on the pitch – we know that – and we have to play well as they have very good players.”

This is a big European game for the Magpies and the biggest for many years, and with Anzhi losing 2-0 to bottom club Mordovia Saransk on Sunday, we must have a decent chance of making it through.

Let us know if you think Newcastle will go through on Thursday.

Will Newcastle Get Past Anzhi On Thursday Night?

Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• G

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Depends if we come out as the ‘Jeckyll’ toon, or the ‘Hyde’ toon. I have a feeling that at this stage we might just go for it, seeing as prem status is all but assured next season now.

• Graeme

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Ed, we are going to the final mate, just no doubt about it. I was there in 1969 and I’ll be there in 2013, tickets already sorted lol.

Bring it on!!!

• Troy Stavers

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Why not?

We were the better side away from home.

Quarter finals of the Europa cup sounds canny to the ears like.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Anzhi are like a sleeping giant awakening from hibernation.

Let’s hope that they are still a little drowsy.
    It’ll be a close game.

Great value at £15 a ticket.

• Troy Stavers

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Will the Pardew slayers be hiding if we get thru or out in numbers if we lose?

No doubt, many will be out if we lose or win. I would listen to them if they came up with a realistic replacement who would sign a bonus based contract. But they never come up with a name.

• Troy Stavers

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:07 AM

According to nufc.com they are laying the temporary artificial surface on SJP now.

Shit rules! Why should we have to do that to accommodate them?!!!

• TorqToon

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Troy – Wouldn’t belie everything you read on that site mate! Newcastle aren’t stupid enough to do that.

Also without Willian, we stand an even better chance!

• Hatem's better than Messi

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Stop trying to stir things Troy.
    Not the first time. Go back to .co.uk lad. Why did you come here again?

• Owldman

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM

@6 SJP surface has been looking dodgy for a few games now, what with all the snow & and rain we’ve had especially at the Gallowgate end looking a bit bare in places

• giimps

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Im hoping for a good attacking team but with cover defensively.
    Im going against the grain a bit here but I would play Tiote and Anita with Cabaye as our midfield, with Haidara and Santoon as wingbacks and Cisse Marveax/Benny and Socks as a front 3.
    As long as were disciplined and fill the gaps left by the wingbacks when going forward, we should get around the back of them and cause problems.
    Im going ,all thermalled up with my trusty flask of bovril.
    I couldnt believe how cold it was even with thermals on and my bovril on Sunday, I couldnt feel my chin till I got home, after being in the car for an hour with the heaters on full blast.
    Im predicting a 3-1 win to us to take us through to the quarters.
    HWTL

• Troy Stavers

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM

@Hatem

I left .co.uk cos my bro goes on there and he’s a hissy fitter. 😀

Are you a Pardew slayer then?

• Troy Stavers

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM

@Torq

Apparently they are concerned the cold weather has not let the adhesive set underneath the artificial surface so there will be a pitch inspection first thing Thursday and they are suggesting it could be postponed for 24 hrs.!

• Owldman

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Would have to open up level 7 to get a much bigger crowd than we’ve had in the previous Euro home games, cant see them doing that unless there is a massive demand for tickets.

• Jamiemac

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Elliott
    Simpson Taylor Mbiwa Haidara
    Perch Anita
    HBA Cabaye Sissoko
    Cisse

• Owldman

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Postponing would cause huge problems for fans who use Go North East buses south of the Tyne as the buses are on strike Friday.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Not keen on him.
    However as I have no control over his hiring or firing I don’t let it annoy me too much.

He’s a narcissistic egomaniac. Not qualities I admire.
    A great manager would have had our team playing well despite the injuries.

As to your requirement about the contract. How do we know who’d sign what?
    I guess most up coming young managers would jump at the chance. A lot from the lower Prem teams too.
    Beyond that who knows? We’re a big club.

I’m out of here. I enjoy the blog but can’t be bothered to live on it. Later guys.

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM

“He’s good when there’s enough quality on the pitch and bench that his decisions don’t matter too much.”

Erm…

There’s about 117382610 examples which show that good players don’t always make good teams. Benitez is doing a pretty good job of demonstrating it at the moment.

• Owldman

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM

@6 Just logged on to nufc.com nothing on there about laying an artificial surface for the euro game where did you get the info from? or about posting the game for 24 hours

• TorqToon

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Troy – Where do you get your info from? I have a colleague at NUFC so am trying to reach him now.

• TorqToon

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM

IT’S CONFIRMED!!!

Nobody knows a thing about any problems with the SJP pitch, match will go ahead as normal. I was LITERALLY laughed at when I said I was told it might be postponed 24hrd and therefore played on a Friday night!

• WWYCD

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Match postponed for a bit of snow? Where do u lot think we are Sunderland? Howay man

And Ashley paying for a quick pitch relay? Some how I doubt it

• rfcready

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Should be a good night.Common the Toon.

• beefman13

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM

AP is the Tony Blair of football managment, he always goes around the houses to explain what he means, AP would make a cracking MP or Brief!

Trying to tell us all this morning that cisse is playing better but not scoring as many???

What games is he watching, cisse although being played out of position some times this season is neither better than last seaso or scoring the same amount of goals, in fact on sunday he was sure he was offside and was waiting for the whistle, delayed reaction when he scored, that said i would love the ad to score every game, not the player in ant way compared to last season, AP was right when he said Cisse was awful on sunday until the goal came, yet again the manager trying to correct the situation today, same old Tony Pardew!!!

• Owldman

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM

@19 He claims he got the info off nufc.com I’ve just been on there & there nothing mentioned about artificial sutface being laid.Can anyone actually see F.I.F.A or EUAFA making teams lay an artificial surface to accommodate one team for one game just because they use it on their home ground!Crap what a load of shit Troys talking

• WWYCD

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Torq
    I see u were talking about Menez and PEA earlier this morning, what do u reckon the chances are? (I know u didnt say their names but hey just call me Sherlock ;))

• chris_g

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM

“Not sure if troy is trying to stir some sh1t or is simply being told rubbish info.”

It’s the former!

This is what Troy enjoys doing. He was a pain in the arse on .co.uk and he’s now started to be one on here as well. In future, just tell him to put his rod away 😉

• santonthenewmaldini

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Right If Beni is fit supposedly lets go for this team:

Elliot
    Santon RB
    Mbiwa
    Taylor
    Haidara LB
    Anita
    Cabaye
    Marveux AM
    Sissoko RW
    Arfa LW
    Cisse

Obviously these players can rotate but Sissoko has looked great on the right and Arfa is great on the left Marveux in the middle is best option as his through balls are awesome

going for a 2 nil victory

• robin

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Pardew, is a typical southern windbag, these southerners can talk underwater! We need more action and less talking from the worst manager in the Premier league. And lose the weird beard he looks like a old dosser who sells the Big issue.

• TorqToon

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Yo – You are quite the sleuth sir! 🙂

Menez – is a higher chance than perhaps people might think, he is very good friends with several of the squad, and PSG are already looking at new signings for the summer – but they need to shift some players first. We will have to pay a decent sum for Menez, but nothing compared to what some night hear.

PEA – that’s a tough one. His reps are trying to flog him left right and centre, however I’ve heard whisperings that the groundwork has already been done on this one. Not saying its a pre contract or anything like that, but he HAS been taking a big interest in our games and his reps have been present on numerous occasions.

So really it’s a case of watch this space!

And robin – so nice to see you are still knocking around and entertaining the masses with your anti pardew rants. Just a shame nobody really values your opinion that greatly, huh?

• Rotonda heights

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Troy

I think pre the french invasion loads of people were coming up with other names. It’s great what the French players that Carr has recruited are doing for us now, but when we lost at home to Reading Pardew had just equalled our worst losing streak in history just as he had done at West ham.

Personally I know we aren’t going to get a Laudrup or a ”total football” manager so I’m just hoping for the best from Pardew and enjoying the moment. Long may our Europa involvement last, no matter how much Pardew trashed it earlier.

I don’t have any huge expectations from Pardew as apart from last season, his CV is very mediocre over 13 years. However, with the players we now have we should be a match for anyone under just about any manager.

• TOONALE

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:33 PM

The game will be played on Thursday, but it will be played at Sunderland’s ground as they don’t have any problem with the pitch, lots of grass cover, its got something to do with all the Shit that’s on it every other week.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Yeah Troy did the longest wind up in history I seem to remember that no one but no one was buying and then he claimed he had got everyone. Sad and delusional kindest description. ,

• Troy Stavers

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Woo hoo hoo hoo
    Hook, line, Torq and owldman! 😀

Howay lads!! Laying an artificial pitch and the glue mighten have set in the cold weather. 😀

Class!! 😀

• WWYCD

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Torq
    Haha I do try 😉
    Id happily take both though I dont have high hopes for either though Menez friendships with some of our players would could be a good draw…bit of a loose cannon though I believe

I reckon PEA will go to a big wage though thats just my opinion on him and I have nothing to back it up just a feeling (seems to have agents like Ba did and that worked out well for us haha)

I am hoping for players coming in from somewhere other than France though

• Diggedydaws

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:48 PM

2-0 to the geordie boys!!

A lot of guys so pessimistic about AP, MA et al but we’re doing OK man, half empty glass owning doom mongers…lighten up lads, could be worse, you could be following the Mackems…the way some of you’s come across I reckons some of you are!!

• Tsunki

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Troy behave lad this highbrow stuff is far too classy here 🙂

• toonbrother

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Sissoko and Cabaye dont seem compatible in centre midfield. Sissoko likes to drop deep which forces cabaye deeper. Cabaye is pure class but if you are going to play him that deep in midfield we might as well play bigirimana, or perch instead and give him a rest. If we want to accomodate both sissoko and Cabaye, sissoko has to play on the right wing.

My starting line up for Thursday
    ..Simmo…MYM..Taylor…Haidara
    …Obertan…Cabs…Perch…Marveaux
    …………………Ameobi…Cisse

• Troy Stavers

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:16 PM

@ rotunda

I remember that one. I had to cut you free from my trawler net! 😀

Regarding Pardew. I don’t believe he is a top manager but I don’t believe Ashley will attract anyone better with his bonus based contracts.

If you want to compare Pardew to other managers, then 90% have crap records as the owners panic at the slightest pressure from supporters.

If Ashley sticks with him, you might find he gets a decent record similar to Moyes.

Even the Everton fans were screaming for Moyes to go after Wigan defeated them in the cup.

Some fans are never happy. They aren’t realistic.

Pardew has never had a big budget at any club. He got us to 5th last season, was the LMA winner and we are a game away from the Europa quarter finals. He deserves time IMO.

Lets be honest, whoever is in charge, fans will criticise the manager. Even KK and SBR were told how to manage by the armchair experts. I’ve done it with Souness, Fat Sam and Kinnear.

I do think Pardew is the best we can hope for with our owners policies.

• Troy Stavers

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM

@Tsunki

I can feel a backlash brewing cos I cast my fishing rod. 😀

• FloridaToon

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Robin

Your a stupid f#$%ing tw@t.