Newcastle Could Be Flying High This Season

Steven Taylor has revealed how manager Alan Pardew told the team before the game against Stoke City, that if the lads could win the game, then he could make an all-out assault on the Europa League competition.

Steven Taylor 2

Steven Taylor – had great game on Sunday

But after the Reading defeat in January, things didn’t look too good and in four days in the following week Mike Ashley brought in four new players and with Mathieu Debuchy having already been acquired in early January, that was five top french players for around £18M.

And on Sunday when Massadio Haidara came on for Davide Santon in the second half for his Premier League debut, all five new Frenchmen were on the pitch at once for the very first time (and seven Frenchmen were on the pitch in total – including Cabaye and Marveaux), so it tells you just how good these new players are.

This is what Steven Taylor said:

“The manager wanted a positive result against Stoke so we can move on to Thursday and really go for it.” “We can do that now and give it our all.”

“All the lads have done well but they had to. With the position we were in a few weeks ago, we couldn’t afford those lads to take their time settling in.”

Alan Pardew has already said he will name his strongest side for Thursday’s return game against Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala, although Mathieu Debuchy and Yoan Gouffran are not eligible.

A win will take Newcastle through to the quarter finals, and then the immediate challenge is to play a decent team at Wigan on Sunday, but Newcastle have shown they now have strength in depth in the squad.

There’s even reason to think we can win these two upcoming games, and then Newcastle United will really be flying high.

And that’s where we want to be, after what we’ve already been through this season. 🙁

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Jamiemac

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I keep seeing over the last few days people saying we’ll be playing Lazio if we win? Can someone explain this to me when the draw is taking place on Friday?

• Blaydon-Toon

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM

What is our strongest side ? Will be Interesting to find out on Thursday night !

• matclarke4000

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:13 AM

jamiemac – the uefa website appears to be confusing a few posters. our tie with anzhi is placed next to lazio’s, making it seem like the winners would play one another, when in fact the draw is on friday. could be any team left in the competition

• Jamiemac

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Ah thanks matclark, that would indeed explain why people are getting confused

• Diggedydaws

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:32 AM

We have got to get straight at them, right down their throats from the off.

I get back in country at 11.00 on Thurs and I shall be straight on it untill kick off, cannit wait for this game to start!

I know the league is a disapointment this season but europe feels like when Bobby was here, it’s where we should be every season if we’re all honest.

I just really hope Pards plays 4-3-3 is all.

HWTL!!

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:50 AM

With debuchy and goofy cup tied I’m hoping formamteam like this.

Elliot
    Santon/simmo saylor m’biwa haidara
    Tiote/marveaux cabaye sissoko
    HBA cisse Jonas

• Novocastrian66

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Last Eight of the Europa League;
    Rubin Kazan, FC BAsel, Spurs, Bordeaux, Chelsea, Fenerbache, Lazio, Toon.
    Who would you fancy out of that lot?

• jimmysmith

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:11 AM

I hope we play Campbell, because real players often can cut it at 18. If he struggles then he likely won’t make it, but still will have plenty of time to fulfil whatever potential he has.

I thought he looked confident and capable for the very short time he was on, so I hope we have the opportunity in games to give him more minutes.

He’s a geordie and I think we really want to have as many geordies in the squad as we can, provided they are good enough of course. That’s why I want Carroll back and support Shola, they are geordies and good enough to contribute.

• pedro

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Not sure if it was picked up in England but Coloccini was at the San Lorenzo game on Sunday. It was in the paper here this morning, saying Colo had met the players and was seen hugging Marcelo Tinelli, the Vice-President.
    Surely he will be on his way in the summer

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:33 AM

@novocastrian
    As long as we don’t get spurs, chelski or lazio I’ll be confident

• dembademba

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:12 AM

I have got terrible ear ache / infection. Can’t sleep a wink. Anyone up wana talk toon?

• cisse_the_legend

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Yessir! What sort of team do u see us putting up vs Anji at home?

• dembademba

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:09 AM

I hope / expect we go…

Elliot
    Simpson- Saylor – yanga – haidara
    Anita – cabaye
    Benny – sissoko – marv
    cisse

I am a Simpson fan, obv he’s no debuchy but think he deserves to play. Think Anita is much better suited to el than prem and considering rioted form and anitas limited opportunities, he deserves to Start. Toss up between marv n obertan, but its a no brainer really, spesh after the decisive pass on Sunday.

The rest picks itself. I think we will win !

• dembademba

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:10 AM

What do u think
    ?

• dembademba

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:11 AM

Rioted = tiote lol.

• dembademba

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:12 AM

He is a 1 man riot if theres ever been one though !

• LeToonARMY

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Eliote
    Simpson Yanga Taylor Santon
    Perch Cabaye
    Ben Arfa Sissoko Guti
    Cisse

• dembademba

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Marv better suited to Europe aswell, like Anita. There is issues with them in the prem, I wouldn’t play them in the same team in the league but have no such issues with starting them in europe.

holy f$*?(ing hell my ear hurts, as bad as when I had wisdom tooth issues. Please please give me lots of sympathy, whoever may read this, it would be much appreciated.

• dembademba

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Interesting. I think haidara deserves to play as he’s looked good when he’s played and started the past 2 Europe games. Santon hasn’t quite been cutting it recently. I like perch a lot, think dm is his best position, id take him or Anita there. I want marv instead of Jonas tho. Jonas gives security n I know marv is better infield than on wing but in europe with possession he can drift more and maybe just maybe score or assist, something Jonas fails to do

• toonicle

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:55 AM

I would like to see santon given a run at LW in the preseason next year, see how it turns out. He obviously prefers to be attacking up the field than worrying about defending and who knows, maybe he will be a natural and Haidara can take the fullback spot. It would also save us having to buy a left wing in the summer lol.

• cisse_the_legend

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:02 AM

Sorry for the late reply ba.. Was watching Sherlock.
    I doubt we will see either Anita or Simpson. Perch will start if not Tiote. I see Santon and Debuchy. Gotta go with the best defence.

• Assam Toon

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:07 AM

@LeToonarmy, pretty much agree with ur line up. Jonas is a necessary evil for the defensive cover he provides to santon. But how about putting haidara and marv in their place? Of all the present players we have, Jonas might be someone who can become a part of the St james park furniture, like shola and Harps. We might be the only team in england to have a defensive winger. With all the free kicks he win, imagine how important he would have been, had we been a good set piece’s team.

• firasroxnufc

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:29 AM

Agree with your opinions lads. But I really believe santon should be given some time. Defensively he’s improving and although he’s somewhat error prone I think his potential is immense. Without a doubt he should have his place on thursday. I’ve known haidara for 2-3 years now; my brother actually played with him at ACBB, which was his childhood team. he’s an extremely solid player don’t get me wrong, but very much defensive minded- although he did appear to be offensively convincing on sunday. Point is- Santon’s got it all in his locker. He must be on the pitch on Thursday. Otherwise- get Hatem, papiss and marveaux up top. behind them put cab aye, cheick and moussa. Now thats a team. AGREED?

• Mister Tuff

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:33 AM

cisse_the_legend @21 -you’ll have a hard job seeing Debuchy playing as he is not eligible — we are only allowed one ex CL player and that is Mbiwa.

• dembademba

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Rozzy

yaya sanogo would be an interesting one. Occasionally becomes world class on football manager (moussa always becomes world class) or drifts into mediocrity. Worth a punt for sure if free

• jimmysmith

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Why is Pards all of a sudden seemingly modelling his appearance on Catweasle?

Pull yourself together man, for god’s sake!

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Team for Anzhi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Elliot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Simmo~~~Perch~~~~~~Mbiwa~~~Haidara
    ~~~~~Sissoko~~Cabaye~~Anita~~~~~~~~
    ~Arfa~~~~~~~~~Jonas

Or
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Elliot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Simmo~~~Perch~~~~~~Mbiwa~~~Haidara
    ~~~~~Sissoko~~~~~~~~~~Cabaye~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Marv~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Arfa~~~~~Ameobi/Cisse~~~~~~~Jonas~

I’d be absolutely livid if Tiote started.

• dmac

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM

We have to play Cisse. Non of this Shola to start malarky. We need to go at Anzhi straight away. I would field as many of the big guns as poss.

• jimmysmith

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Yes and not overly keen on starting Simmo and Perch under the circumstances either.

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Our back four did well in Russia. Why change it?.

I’d rather it be santon at RB, But I don’t see pardew doing that any time soon. So I left him out.

• Dubaigeordie

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:39 AM

my team for thursday night would be
    ————————–ELLIOT————————
    –SANTON—–SAYLOR——-MBIWA———HAIDARA
    ———–SISSOKO——CABAYE——–TIOTE—-
    ———–BEN10———CISSE————MARV

I know Tiote was reckless against stoke and nearly cost us the game but his strength would be vital and im sure pardrew will be having a word with him telling him to calm down and watch the challenges
    also would much prefer marv over guiterrez for me guit has lost it.

• jimmysmith

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Yeah, they did well in Russia, and are generally solid and in Perch’s case often very good but I haven’t forgotten some disastrous defensive displays that the pair of them have been a party to in the past and still shudder a little at the thought of the pair of them in a back four. I seem to recall they formed a central defensive partnership in one match with predictably underwhelming result.

• dmac

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Yea but in Perch’s defence he was paired with a Rb that is like 5″3 haha. And against Grant Holt that was never going to end kindly.

• cyprus

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Saw game again… Tiote really played well, was all over the park, cutting them out and pestering, good going forward, shame THAT moment stays in our minds…
    Sissoko is a bundle of energy, is those legs and that link between lines we were missing.
    Tactically, crossing the ball against Stoke is crazy.

• jimmysmith

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:52 AM

————————–ELLIOT————————
    –SANTON—–SAYLOR——-MBIWA——HAIDARA
    ———–SISSOKO——CABAYE——–ANITA—-
    ———–BEN10———CISSE————GUTI

Although Santon without Guti to drop back in cover would be quite a concern. Can Haidara play right back or HBA on the left. Perhaps not?

• cyprus

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Is HBA ready? Is he really a bit overweight?

• Levi

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:17 AM

@JIMMYSMITH

i agree with that apart from the midfield. if you have anita on the right then he can help santon out as he is a top class right back anyway.

• Troy Stavers

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Michael Owen on twitter;

“Just signed autographs for about 40 Newcastle fans outside our hotel. Not one single bad word spoken towards me. I reckon them exact same people will be booing the life out of me should I appear on the pitch today!!!”

What a twat he is! The people getting the autographs are no doubt kids in the majority or autograph hunting geeks who have no intention of booing him.

I can’t wait til the next time he turns up at the Toon. I will ensure I turn up just to slate him in front of his face and give him a Troy Stavers autograph. 😀

• TorqToon

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Morning gents.

All heating up over here! It’s only early march and NUFC and our ‘targets’ are the talk of the toon in France! 🙂