This Is Why Newcastle Could Finish On 51 Points

Steven Taylor’s form since he came back from his hamstring strain he picked up at Reading has been awesome, and it’s hardly surprising that there is talk of him getting his first call-up for the full England squad.

steven Taylor 99 new strip

Steven Taylor – will he make England squad?

Center-back is a bit of a problem position now with John Terry having retired from International football, but there are rumors that Roy Hodgson may call up Rio Ferdinand – but Rio is hardly the future of England, and he’s way past his best.

Asked in the local papers today what it would be like if he was named in the England squad for the World Cup qualifying games in San Marino on 22nd March and then in Montenegro four days later, this is what Steven Taylor said:

“It would be dream come true. I’ve always said it would be the greatest honor for a professional footballer and for me it would be the icing on the cake; but Mr Hodgson has the final say.”

And Steven talked about the vital game on Sunday when that last minute Papiss Cisse goal was one of the most important of the season for Newcastle, as the win took us to 33 points from our 29 league games – and since the French boys arrived in January – in the six league games we’ve played – we’re averaging 2 points a game with four wins, and if we can keep that average up we’d finish on 51 points – which would not be bad at all.

This is what Steven said:

“We had a chat at the end of the game as a team and we’re now looking upwards. With the players we have, and the performance we showed against Stoke, there is no reason why we can’t do that.”

“You could see the relief all around when the winning goal went in.” “The lads were saying it was difficult to break them down, and that they came here and defended very well.”

“But it was one of those games where we didn’t find the cutting edge until the hour mark, and then we started to open them up.”

It’s been some turnaround for Newcastle since the defeat by Reading – and now things are really looking up – and there’s an effort on this week  to get as many fans to the Anzhi game on Thursday night ass possible –  so if you can get to the game  that would be terrific – and cheer the lads on to victory.

Just think what it will feel like if we do qualify for the quarter finals of the Europa League at 10:00 pm on Thursday night, when a few weeks ago we were struggling against relegation after being beaten for the first time ever by Reading at St. James’ Park, after we had won all previous seven games in the fixture.

It could be some turnaround.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• DokToon

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM

51 points.. here’s hoping…

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

repost:

@Ibiza 74

“Why do my jokes always come across as if i’m some chauvinistic pig…best not answer that one actually.”

Going to answer anyways…sorry.

Maybe it’s because, subconciously, there’s a little caveman waiting to come out and play? You know, knock her over the head and drag by the hair?

I usually get relegated to the couch when I do that…or a shoe thrown at me. It’s part and parcel of the gig, and I’m not complaining, as we usually see eye to eye on most things.

@DokToon

unfortunately, I’m going to be at work…unless I find some miracle to take me out. (unlikely) But I should be able to follow live updates.

• tooninspain

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

What position would we need to finish to qualify for the Europa league again?

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM

With Swansea winning the C1C, I think the breakdown in spots is going to go as follows if they finish outside of this group:

1-4 Champions League
    5th Europa League

This will change if anyone outside of the top 5 win the FA cup. If someone in the top 5 win the FA cup, then 6th place will also get an invitation to the EL.

At least that’s how I understand it.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Dag…Little caveman? Isn’t that a standard night out on the town?

Tooninspain…It all depends on which teams win the cups and the positions they finish in. I think it’s normally 5th and 6th place in the league and then the winners of the domestic cups, but if one of the teams that finished 5th or 6th won a domestic cup, then the 7th / 8th placed team gets the spot – but i’m not 100% sure.

Basically, our best bet is to just win the EL this season 🙂

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Edit: “this is how it is if anyone outside of the tip 5 win the FA Cup.”

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Maybe just 5th spot then 🙂

I’m going to go back to channeling my inner caveman.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Ibiza, from what I can tell, there’s one spot plus the two cup winners from England who are invited to the EL.

If both of the cup winners are in the CL, or already have an EL spot, that invitation goes to the next down on the list. Feasibly, you could have the top 7 teams in European competition if the domestic cups go to teams in the top 5.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM

• SuperShearer

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Am I the only one who would rather we weren’t in EL next season? Look what it did to us this season and then compare it to how Everton have rocketed up the league not having to worry about those extra fixtures. Would like to see if without EL we can march up the table and cause a few teams worry about a top 4 finish next season. You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.

• tooninspain

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Oh well Ibiza…looks like we’ve got to win the Europa then. I’m thinking more of ensuring our big players are happy to stay next season. If we’re not in Europe, we may get one or two defecting to Sunderland.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM

@DokToon from previous thread:

I wish so much I could do that…Big Army tends to look at that with an unfavorable eye.

I hate being a responsible person sometimes…I miss when if I didn’t want to go into work, i just didn’t go. Ahhh, the joys of being young again.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Interesting…Reading that, let’s say we did win the EL, we’d get put through to the group stages on next years tournament. In the CL they will only give 4 English clubs a place in the tournament, but if we won and didn’t qualify via league position or cups they would award an extra place for an English team in the EL.

Not sure why I felt the need to change the wording there, cut and paste Ibizatoon, cut and paste.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM

@tooninspain

I don’t think they will. The majority of them are Franophiles…and I’m sure they can smell what’s coming from over there and want nothing to do with it.

Besides, who would want to go from a Premiership side on the up, to a Championship team?

• tooninspain

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Another scenario. What IF we were, for instance, to lose to a team in the final (eg Spurs) who qualify for next year’s Champions League? Do we get a spot in the Europa as losing finalist’s?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Super..”I hope someday you’ll join us”. I get what you’re saying, but I think we’d cope a bit better the next time around and I imagine having European football would be a big pull for incoming players. Mind, we got most of our current team without qualification. I do enjoy the excitement of it though as a fan. Still, I would say it’s fairly likely you’ll get your wish as far as next season is concerned.

Tooninspain…Piece of cake 😉

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM

@Ibiza

Yeah forgot to throw that one in there. But I’d rather not start spouting off about that until we’re in the final. Don’t want to chance jinxing the team. Lord knows they’re going to need all the luck they can get.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Tooninspain…I can’t see anything about runners up mate.

• damondavies

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Maybe a season without 2 games a week would be a good thing…

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Dag….Okay, we’ll bench this topic to when we get there then 🙂

Just read something about fair play qualification…forget it, fair play with Tiote in the team 🙂

• Hencha Boii

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Any news on the Anzhi team for Thursday? Has William travelled?

• VanToonMan

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:54 PM

What is the highest position in the league we can actually get to? Let’s say we get 18-20 points from the remaining 27….taking our tally up to 51-53….around what position would we finish on?

• DokToon

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:57 PM

dags, i agree 110%… great thing though, my wife is in san antonio for two days, starting tomorrow, so i will get home, open a beer, and watch toon completely uninteruppted!!!

sad though, being old, thats the highlight of my week, when i’s a younger man… id have been, well, nevermind… i didnt get caught then, and dont need to now…. 🙂

• Jonny

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM

2 points a game from the start of the season would have put us on 76 points which is what? Top 4?

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM

VanToonMan,

We can take a max 27 points from our remaining games. That puts us at 60. Right now, there are 3 teams with 60 points, so feasibly we could place 2nd.

Realistically, I think any team that is 10+ points ahead of us is out of reach. West Brom is sitting on 43 points right now in 8th. Very remote chance, but we could possibly catch them to knick 8th. I think we’re going to need to be at around 54-55 points to do so however and hope they kind of fall on their face the last 9 games of the season.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM

@Jonny,

I think 76 points would pretty safely assure a team top 4. 5th would be a disappointment.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM

@Dok

When I was a younger man…

yeah, probably better not to go there. Too many memories of schnapps and…and…oh, no…I’ll stay my age, thank you very much.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM

If we can somehow overtake Swansea for 9th, I’ll count that as a major coup considering how the first 5 months of the season went. 8th would be very very unexpected.

• Spoof

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM

After his dancing in front of Begovic for Cabaye’s equaliser, I was thinking that he should participate in Strickly later in the year

• Transfer Sage

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM

If a champions league placed (1-4th) wins the FA cup then the runner up gets that spot (and with Wigan and a championship team in a semi final then looks like they will get it as a good chance both other semi finalise, man utd and Chelsea will get top 4.

It’s how stoke got in. By bein runner up to man ott in FA cup

• Jonny

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Last year 76 would have had us 3rd. Maybe 2 points a game for the whole of a season is wishful thinking!

• VanToonMan

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I can’t believe West Brom are 10 points ahead of us. It will never truly sink in. Nevertheless let’s hope we can get about 20-22 points…making the tally up to 53-55 and hopefully that will get us top 8.

Top 8 and winning the UEFA cup would be amazing…but am I dreaming?…Am just worried we will lose some big players this summer if we don’t finish top 8 and/or win the UEFA cup.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Transfer,
    If both FA cup finalists make the final who gets the spot, and when we got beat of Chelsea in the semi final under SBR, how did we qualify for Europe that year ?

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM

@VanToon

I don’t think the majority of our players are too concerned at this point about the league placement. We might lose Tiote, and deffinitely Simmo and Colo (pretty sure at least). Wouldn’t be surprised to see Obertan and Willo to be moved as well.

Where it might hurt us is getting new players in to the team. But, with that being said, we were able to get Mbwia, Gouffy, Socks, and Haidara in with us being 4th or 5th bottom in the league. I’ll remain optimistic, as always, until they let me down.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Unfortunately I wont be able to make the game on Thursday night, but I’m glad the hierarchy have seen sense and lowered the prices realising a big crowd is more advantageous than bigger prices, take note toonisapain.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:26 PM

SuperShearer @10 – once the show gets on the road properly -after the summer -deadwood out, sriker(s) in etc -we may demand some type of European football -may be not next season unless we win the Europa this season. But all in all I can imagine just one season out of Europe.

PS. The others were all asleep – to get your musical connection.

• Phatoon

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM

We either have to finish 5th (not gonna happen), or win the Europa League (who knows…)

The 3 spots are as follows:

1) 5th place in the League
    2) FA Cup Winners
    3) League Cup Winners

If the FA Cup Winner qualifies for the Champions League then the other finalist gets the FA Cup Winners spot. If the runner has qualified for the Champions League then the FA Cup Winners spot is handed over to Premier League positioning.

In terms of this league. As Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea should all qualify for the Champions League then one of Wigan, Blackburn or Millwall will be guarenteed the Europa League spot.

The League Cup spot went to Swansea. Unless they get Champions League qualification………. that is there way in.

If you win the Europa League but fail to qualify for the Champions League or Europa through cups or league. Then you are granted an extra slot in the Europa League (not sure who gets rejected or whatever but it doesn’t effect the above 3).

• Phatoon

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM

*guaranteed

*their

• Mister Tuff

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Jail -whilst I’m not too bothered did you see the post yesterday accusing you/me/others of being responsible for the degrading the blog?

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM

@Tuff

I don’t think you or JfA degrade the blog at all. It’s the posters such as Catchy, Cheik, and robin (no capital for the mackem) that do so. Y’all are pretty tame and reasonable imho here.

1 2 3 6