Ameobi – I Didn’t Realize That – I Was Shocked.

If Shola Ameobi makes an appearance on Thursday night in the second leg against Anzhi, it will be his 50th appearance for the Magpies in Europe.

shola ameobi hand on head

Shola Ameobi – could make his 50th appearance in Europe on Thursday

Shola made his debut back in 2000 under Bobby Robson, and the Newcastle manager quickly built a top Newcastle side that played in the Champions League twice in his five years in charge of the club.

The 31-year-old seemed surprised when told he had already made 49 appearances in Europe:

“I didn’t realize I have now played 49 games in Europe. I was shocked.” “European nights are always special for Newcastle and it doesn’t matter who we are playing against they are a great occasions.”

“I’ve enjoyed some memorable games in Europe with the club and hope we have another one on Thursday.” “I’ll overtake Alan Shearer? I didn’t know that. I’m a lucky boy.”

“Every time I have put on the Newcastle shirt I have added myself to the history of the club and that means so much. Now I just want to get us into the last eight where anything is possible.”

“As we have seen in Europe in the last few seasons, especially with Chelsea last year, if you put yourself in the mix towards the end of a tournament anything can happen. I’m very excited.”

“We have to get back to where we were last year and make St James’ Park a fortress. And with a big crowd behind us I know we can get through.”

Shoal has scored 15 goals in Europe for Newcastle – so far.

It’s going to be a close game on Thursday and it could become difficult if Anzhi score – but if we win the game we are through to the quarter finals of the Europa League and that would be the first time since Bobby Robson took us to the semi-final stage in April/May of 20004.

And six months later he was sacked because we only finished 5th in the league that season – how times have changed.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• dannyboy

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:24 AM

god bless ya shola youre stil sh**te! 49games and still cr*p ! such a championship standard player its unreal, if he wasnt a geordie he would be cruicifed on this blog every day, below average player

• toonincheek

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:12 AM

So, Sir Bobby didn’t know what he was doing, huh?
    Fortunately there have been a series of managers
    that don’t agree with you, dannyboy.

I’m not saying he’s a top top player, but he has made a real contribution to NUFC and your vitriolic says far more about you that Shola.

• alreetlike

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Show some respect Dannyboy!

• SpaceGhost

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:32 AM

He may not be a Messi but he is Sir Mackem Slayer of the Ameobi Clan. He has lasted 13 years at this club and gave his all & is respected figure in the dressing room, club & his community. Dannyboy, are you Nile Ranger in disguise?

• Graeme

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM

If Bambi gets anywhere near the 1st team for this game, I will be way more than just “Shocked”!!

It either means we have had some serious injury crisis as there are at least half a dozen players who will be picked in front of him. Or, Pardew decided that playing his “Strongest” team was better kept for Wigan!!

• markmac

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM

@ 1, what dya mean ‘he would get slated on here’ he already does bless him… lol

• markmac

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM

although i should add, not by me

• winnynufc

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Danny boy way over the top that like, dont think Sir Bobby was a bad judge of player HWTL!

• nico

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Bet you could do better eh danny boy. What a tool you are.

• nico

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Just remember, who scored the goal that got us this far.