Disappointing News On Ben Arfa

Some disappointing news this afternoon on Newcastle’s French winger Ben Arfa, as he is  ruled out of tomorrow night’s important game with Anzhi.

ben arfa anzhi 98

Ben Arfa in action last Thursday night

The Frenchman suffered a reaction after playing for Newcastle last Thursday night in Moscow, and he was not risked on Sunday against Stoke, but we were hoping he would be fit enough to play against Anzhi again in the second leg, but we guess not.

Ben Arfa suffered a hamstring strain in November, when playing at home to Maritimo,  and that’s now almost four months ago, yet he has only played two games since – one in early December at Fulham, when he had a bad reaction, and his next game was last Thursday.

But it seems he’s again suffered  a bad reaction again to playing, and this is getting a little worrying,  but it’s better than Newcastle be on the safe side, and let Ben Arfa fully recover before he plays again.

This is what Alan Pardew said today about his mercurial winger:

“The team news is pretty good apart from Hatem.”  “He’s not going to make this game.”  “We are trying to finalize his hamstring injury before we put him back in.

“He’s had a little setback and a specialist will look at it.”  “I will know more at my next press conference.”

So it seems the hamstring is still not right, so we’ll have to see what conclusion the specialist comes to – hopefully we’ll know very soon.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Is his hamstring ever gonna be right?
    I’ve had a hamstring injury before, but never did it keep me from playing as long as what hatem has been out for.
    I know we don’t want to throw him in the mix too early because that will aggravate his hamstring.
    But, I think they are being too cautious

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM

68toonarmydownsouth // Mar 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM

59toonarmydownsouth // Mar 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Sorry Jesper i think your flogging a dead horse to be honest mate and things like this are just another excuse to stick the knife in on pardew

In any profession you are surrounded by people who advise on the best possible action, management is no different, if pardew could diagnose injuries to a full extent then why is there a medical team? Think your pinning far too much blame on him

WWYCD
    Shhhh don’t give Jesper more ammo, I told him they were sex dolls!!!
    I also heard that just after benny had got off crutches pardew hit him with a baseball bat

Tommyy
    No need to justify it mate, I still think benny can be key to our success but I completely agree about the point you make about potential, there comes a time for everyone!
    The 2 words that seem to follow benny through his career are potential and maturity, pardew has certainly matured him as a player but quickly needs to find the key to use his full potential

• 89Norcal

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Wonder if Hatem has some muscular imbalances?

Maybe a little too much quad work and exercises for the shot power. That was the issue that plagued Alexandre Pato.

Just hope he plays on the weekend, I miss seeing Hatem glide past defenders.

• Dagwoodz

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:10 PM

The medical staff needs to be replaced at Newcastle. Granted, he came back in possibly the worst conditions he could have. Astro turf, sub freezing weather, away. But the physio’s would have known that. If they still gave their stamp of approval, then the bulk of the blame lies with them. The rest lies with the coaching staff and Pardew.

Again, Pardew is not completely faultless here, but the bulk of the blame lies not with him, but the medical staff.

Wasn’t really expecting him to play after he missed the Stoke game, as the writing was pretty plain on the wall.

If anything, at this point he should be treated just like he was coming back from his leg break. When he’s ready, slowly introduce him into the squad as an impact sub and make him earn his starting place back. Doing anything less would cheapen the efforts of all the other players who are busting their butts for the starting position. I know it would piss me off if I worked my tail end off to earn a starting spot.

• Dagwoodz

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Another thing to think about. It could be the scans were inconclusive as to how completely healed the hamstring was, and when they asked HBA if he was good to go, he’s never going to say no. He wants to get back on the pitch. His eagerness to play could have / probably did cost him a set back in injury.

• Rainrix

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Yo… From previous, i think they left when the fat man went, dont hold me to that though i dont really remember, still either way like you said we didn’t really benefit much if at all 🙂

• WWYCD

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Jesper
    This isn’t Pardews fault either before u start being mean haha

• WWYCD

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Rainrix
    Could be right but I’d say if we had kept them our injuries would be less frequent now but that’s all guess work. We’ve never seemed to have a solid quality medical staff for as long as I can remember, not saying the one we currently have are poor but maybe we don’t have enough or they haven’t kept up with the changing landscape of sports medicine…or maybe we are just shagged in regards to injuries through no fault of theirs, Ashley should be looking into why we have suffered more than most though

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Guys I responded to you on the old thread 🙂 I am a bit slow sometimes!

Yo…playing Benny on astroturf in cold weather was his choice was it not 😉 lol (I know those French idiot said it was alright and maybe even the medics)

• Transfer Sage

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Sick of these injuries to HBA…just want to see the lad back to his best in this new look team.

I think the medical team need looking at, we get so many injuries at the club it’s uncanny.

Can’t blame the manager though, he has experts there to offer advice and if he takes takes that advice and it goes wrong it’s not his fault. Thats what the expert is there for.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM

jesp

He must havetaken advice of the medics….why hire experts if you don’ take their advice.

If they underperform it’s up to pardew to complain to his superiors and then for them to act on it.

• WWYCD

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Jesper from previous
    Aye he had a hand in it but I don’t think he’s the one at fault. And tbf I don’t recall him pointing fingers or taking responsibility, he’s just gotten on with it and not made a huge fuss

I don’t blame him for it, I don’t blame anyone for it. Am more annoyed HBA came back carrying a load of timber tbh

• nufc_eire

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Looks like Guidetti is being sold in the summer. Would be a great signing for a few million

• Rainrix

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Yo… Aye its a bit weird how we’re consistently beset by injuries. It was brought into focus a bit by big sam but its been brushed under the carpet a bit in recent times due to relegation and such.

Not sure what kind of professionals he brought in but i remember him giving interviews about it and he is a big advocate of sport science.

Still everything’s just speculation on our end it could be anything, even freak luck.

• one Tony Green

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM

For as long as I can remember NUFC always have problems with hamstrings. The medical staff or trainers do seem poor.

If the stories about Hatem looking to leave are to be believed I for one in my humble opinion would be pretty pissed off. He has missed more games than he has played and trying to compare him to Messi or Ronaldo is a joke. Messi has played more games in three years than Hatem has in his whole career. ( Messi is younger). Messi has also scored more goals in 12 months than NUFC in total in 24 months.

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Jesp
    No mate not because you disagree with me!
    But because you seem to be absolving the medical staff of by blame whatsoever which to me is just wrong!

The medics are there to advise the club on the best course of action in regards to our players health and conditioning for me there failing in that duty

Dagwoodz
    Agree mate, don’t think any are trying to absolve pardew of any blame at all, but to blame him 100% seems a bit narrow minded

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM

TS…actually I am consultant (architect) and I am only liable for what I sign on to with a john handcock 🙂

…what I give is advice (then they make up their own mind)

Are we saying here that managers are clueless? Did anyone read that bit I posted from the football association?

• Mister Tuff

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Tommyy @62 -previous post – you “suggest” Hazard is French – he’s not -he’s Belgian.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM

tads…whether someone is feeding Pardew bad info or not for me is beside the point. Pardew is El Capitano (they can sort that out internally)

• manxpie

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:39 PM

On ober people r wantin him in defence?
    That’s gotta b a joke he’s got abilty but for me It’s his concentration that’s his main problem he never seems switched on for more than a couple of mins at a time or game somtimes
    On arts I thought it was a dead leg he had where’s the info on it bein his hamstring again ?
    And jesper do u not take any advice from your doctor then?

• Mr Funk

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:39 PM

@Jesper and TS and TDS

I treat musculoskeletal injuires and any injury is never straight forward. Scans do not give definitive proof because there can be false positives. It is very difficult to predict how a person will react to treatment in this field of medicine.
    If you blame one person then you will have to blame them all.

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:39 PM

@13
    Would be a cracking young signing, thought that he might play a bit more for city since selling ballotelli but did he have some kind of virus? Think he’s been pretty ill this season!

WWYCD
    Once again for me comes down to either the medical staff or dietician, both him and stevie came back looking like they were preparing to hibernate for the winter!!!

One Tony Green
    Agree he’s nowhere near messi or ronaldo think that comes back to the earlier discussion of some of our lads being overhyped tbh, great player yes but world class? Not for me I’m afraid (plus he’s 2 years older than messi so saying he has the potential to be the same is well out!)

• Joe Blog

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Derek Wright – doesn’t fill you with confidence when you look at him and realise he’s head of our medical staff.

Ooo – appearance discrimination!

• manxpie

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Arts = arfa

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Am starting to hope that we can sell him in the summer for 20+ million.
    Lets face it,
    We’ll get 15 million + profit for an injury prone player,
    We could buy 2-3 excellent players using the money off Ben arfa,
    Lets face it we can’t rely on him anymore, even though he is one of the most gifted players in the world.

• santonthenewmaldini

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I remember a couple of months ago someone was at a charity thing with Pardew and he said that Pardew gets calls every day on Arfa’s availability and also that Arfa always wants to come back too soon from injuries

Could it be that Arfa was so desperate to play that he said he felt better than he actually was?

I think we have got to be careful with Arfa as a hamstring injury can effectively ruin a player’s career cause if he loses that ability to have that change of pace with the ball then he will need to change his game

Might have to just accept that he might not really play properly this season which is a shame as he could be the difference in the Europa if we can get past Anzhi

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Mr Funk
    If test our inconclusive, which we don’t know if they are or not, what do you do with the lad? When do you say he’s fit? Do we keep him in storage and wheel him out on special occasions?
    This isn’t a pop by the way really am curious on just what you do with him

• Mr Funk

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM

@ Jesper

“whether someone is feeding Pardew bad info or not for me is beside the point. Pardew is El Capitano (they can sort that out internally)”

So as an architect, you always challenge any advice you are given by an expert of their field before going ahead and doing something?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:46 PM

manxpie….I listen to advise from my doctor of course!

…And I might see a specialist if I need a better assessment than the doctor can give me who is a generalist!

…but there is a big difference between listing and just do as he say ( a second opinion is often needed) I cannot remember the last time my doctor game me a MRI scan or anything else that could actually detect any disease 🙂

…last time I had a serious football injury I was send to a specialist and he said my knees was chronically injured (the doctor hadn’t found anything, but then again he never really ‘checked me did he ;))

• WWYCD

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Rainrix
    I agree as, imo, the issues been swept under the rug and ignored again. I could be back luck but its pretty consistent bad luck if it is.

Toonarmydownsouth
    I disagree on that one, I think the player should take the blame, both Benny and Saylor were embarrassing coming back with so much weight put on. They should of done everything in their power to remain as physically fit as possible without requiring a babysitter they are grown men after all

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Jesper
    Yeah they can sort that out internally ie Ashley, but what is pardew supposed to do until then? Completely disregard any and all reports passed on to him by the medical team?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Mr Funk…I am usually hired as the consultant and I give my advise!

…it’s advise (they have to use it as such)

• Mr Funk

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Jesper @ 29

So did you carry on playing football then?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Mr Funk…non of our medics are hamstring expects. You need an MRI scan to see the damage and to see older injuries (they can be the ones who are the problem)

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:52 PM

WWYCD
    Sorry thought you said you disagree, oh you did hmmm well fcuk you!;)
    Of course you are right, there grown men and should be able to the mars bars down for 30 odd k a week, but also feel the club should keep tighter tabs on them

• Mister Tuff

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM

We had the “Benny hamstring” debate few days ago -with Jesper and Tads being the main contributors. I sided with Jesper. I could find no evidence of Benny having a scan before his return to the Fulham game -when he relapsed. After the Fulham game he did have a scan which showed his hamstring was held together by scar tissue. With the scar tissue being evidence of a previous injury (Maritimo game). He was then sent to Clairefontaine. The calendar days from the Maritimo game to the Fulham game was 18 days but in reality nearer 16 “actual” days. Benny had said he felt ok. This series of events does suggest that he was brought back too quick/his injury was mismanaged. Returning from Clairefontaine we assume he was giving the go ahead to play by medics -as a result of scans. However bringing him back on a freezing night in Moscow on a plastic pitch is at best questionable.
    One poster suggested earlier -this latest event might be the club being over cautious – lets hope so.
    Those posters saying Benny is injury prone – are you including his leg fracture in your assessments?

• Mr Funk

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM

@ Jesper

So if your advice is wrong – who is at fault

Also MRI’s can show false positives ie something can look like an injury when it isn’t.

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Jesper
    Everytime a player goes of injured one of the first things that happens is they are sent to a specialist for scans, Newcastle united use several hospitals for this including a couple in london

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Mr Funk…after I went to the specialist who did the proper teat (which showed the extend of the problem)

…Of course not. The evidence was right in front of me!

You are not really listening to anything I am saying are you or are you just drawing up your own conclusions?

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Here’s some interesting stats on Ben arfa.

Lyon (2004-2008) apps (87) goals (11) assists (11)

Marseille (2008-2010) apps (91) goals (15) assists (8)

Newcastle (2010-present) apps (49) goals (10) assists (10)

I guess those stats suggest that he has significantly improved as a player whilst being with us. That’s when he’s fit anyways

1 2 3 9