The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Papiss Cisse Spreading Some Sunshine In Newcastle

10:03 am, Wednesday, March 13th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

We’re always pleased to report the good work Newcastle players do off the field of play and for the local community, and Papiss Cisse has been spreading just a little bit of sunshine this week.

chloe grover and papiss

Chloe Grover with Papiss Cisse yesterday

14 year-old Chloe Grover is deaf and  has cerebral palsy, and she was invited to attend the Benton Training center yesterday – in her brand new wheel-chair.

Papiss Cisse met with the youngster after hearing that the Evening Chronicle’s Sunshine Fund had helped buy her first ever wheelchair, after she couldn’t get one through the NHS.

This is what Papiss said after his meeting with Chloe:

“I wish her all the best and it was great meeting her.” “My father and my uncle have all inspired me to do things for charity and for my community while I am here.”

“I’m really happy to help people in my city and I’ve always thought it’s important to help charities.”

“I’m happy to be associated with the Sunshine Fund and try to help anyone who is sick or needs support to try to make a difference to their lives.”

The Chronicle deserves great credit for the Sunshine Fund, and it’s fantastic  that Newcastle players like Papiss go out of their way to give their time to these worthy charitable endeavors.

Chloe attends the Northern Counties School in Jesmond, Newcastle, and she had this to say after meeting the star striker:

“It was fantastic to meet him and all my friends at school will be really jealous.”

The £3.6K chair was bought for her by the Newcastle Province of Northumberland Freemasons, after they donated money to the Sunshine Fund.

The Sunshine Fund raised over £10,000 last year through balls, and various sponsorship events like the Great North Run and rugby matches.

It’s just excellent  this work is going on in the community,  and that Newcastle’s players like Papiss Cisse are supporting these very worthwhile causes.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Charity · Newcastle News · Other News · Papiss Cisse

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 woolerbill // Mar 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM

It’s good that players give up some free time to charities, but why not some of the mind bogging money they make. That would be better.

• 2 Transfer Sage // Mar 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM

woolerbill
    I think you would be shocked to see how many pro’s give away money and lot more time than gets reported on.

not saying all do, but a large number do.

• 3 manxpie // Mar 13, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Great that the club and players do this kind of stuff and largely goes un-noticed unfortunately

Transfer I agree with it being boring you really only need to see the basic highlights of a barca game to see the best bits
    Don’t get me wrong its impressive but boring afta you’ve seen it once
    The shalke game was much more entertaining proper end to end stuff
    That draxler looks a player too

• 4 Transfer Sage // Mar 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM

manx

Yeh. I don’t want people to think i’m not impressed with them…its just not a contest a lot of the time.

like watching roger federer play against a club level player.

• 5 thepict // Mar 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Excellent Barca game last night. However, prior to kick off I did not expect them to score four goals. Ignoring the fact that Messi’s second goal he was offside . Milan hit the post with a cracker. Could have been such a different game.

• 6 SportBilly // Mar 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Had that shot last night that hit the post gone in it would have been a more entertaining game in my opinion :) Felt for the lad, after that they never seemed to recover with Barca scoring quickly afterwards. Could have been a different game…

• 7 SBergenwall // Mar 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Respect

• 8 AmericanMagpie // Mar 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Why has his father and uncle inspired him to do charity work? Are they inflicted with some kind of disability? Or have they done charity work in the past?

• 9 Magpie Blantyre MW // Mar 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Its nice to see Freemason playing into the community, instead described as devil worshippers

previous post: Club Statement To Fans – Keep Reputation Tomorrow Night