Pardew Receives Some Warnings From Liverpool Manager

At Alan Pardew’s press conference on Wednesday afternoon, the Newcastle manager pointed out that Anzhi have some top players, who could cause Newcastle some problems tomorrow night.

alan pardew press confernce anzhi

Alan Pardew at his press conference
Yes – that beard is growing

But it seems that the Tyneside club have had some success in selling tickets for the game, and over 42,000 fans are now expected to attend the game against Anzhi Makhachkala, and that could be a great advantage to the Magpies.

Here’s what the Newcastle manager had to say about the game, which is one of the biggest in Europe for many years for Newcastle:

“You don’t want to win on away goals, you’ve got to win the game. The agenda’s in front of us, the emphasis is on us and we’ll have 42,000 Geordies in here going mad.” “They have had experience of playing against Premier League opposition this year, at Liverpool – they lost 1-0 – and I think this game will be tougher for them.”

“I spoke to Brendan Rodgers about the two fixtures that they had. Of course I’m not going to disclose the ins and outs of what we both felt tactically might be the answer but he was very complimentary of their ability and their players.” “He gave me a couple of little warnings and a couple of pieces he thought we could benefit from – no more than that.

“We’ve also done an analytical study of their games. We watched and analysed their game on Sunday so we know all we need to know about the opposition. “That doesn’t mean to say we can stop them – they’ve got some outstanding players and one of the best managers in the last two or three decades in charge, so it’s a tough agenda for us, make no mistake.

“But I still have a strong feeling that we can win, and our fans will on the back of three home wins. We’re going into it with good confidence.” “I think it’s two really, really good sides – there’s no doubt about that.”

“They have good quality. Jucilei, who our fans won’t know, sits in front of their back four and is an outstanding player. They obviously have Samuel Eto’o and if Willian plays, they have offensive players that are going to cause us trouble.”

“But we’re really in good form and we have a great spirit at the training ground at the moment. It’s a great opportunity for us and we’re going to try to take that.”

We’d be surprised if Willian is fit to play, after damaging his hamstring in the game last Thursday night in Moscow, and he missed the Russian Premier League game on Sunday, and we expect Lacina Traore to start in his place.

Of course 22 year-old Ivorian Traore, is also an excellent up and coming player.

Here’s hoping we can get through tomorrow night.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:52 PM

traore was in m’biwa and perchs back pocket last time out, he was even outjumped by them on a couple of occasions :O somehow.

I have a good feeling

• Toon-Prodigy

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Hmm, Alan, don’t give these too much respect man, they were average away from home and we more than held our own!

If we attack tomorrow night and we our quick out of the blocks, I have no doubt we will turn these over infront of an electric St James Park.

We are more than capable and are the better team.

Roll on tomorrow night! HTL

• Mark the Mag

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:12 AM

We all know Hiddink is a great coach and he knows the importance of an away goal, they didn’t try to put us under much pressure in the first leg, so is it his tactic all along to hit us where it hurts with the away goal counting double ? They have had some good away results earlier in competition, shame we couldn’t have got a goal ourselves over there, as this will be tense when they get a chance. I am still recovering from the stress of the Stoke game but we came through that, so now we can enjoy this game, hopefully ! here’s to a good game and a place in the last 8, savour it and enjoy everybody.

• TheToonKing

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:12 AM

i’d give my half hand to have Debuchy, Gouffran and Benny for this game….

• Joe Blog

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:16 AM

BLITZKRIEG!

• Spreadthetoon

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:25 AM

It’ll be a good match. Such a shame for HBA, I bet he’s as frustrated and concerned about this injury as we are. I’ve got my fingers crossed that Hatem comes back soon.

He will definitely be missed tomorrow night. Lets hope our home advantage will translate into the right result for us. Gonna be a tough game but reckon we’ll get through this challenge. HWTL

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM

As long as Tiote isn’t on the field to gift them a penalty. I think we have a chance.

• lesh

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Wonder if Pards’ pocket was picked during his conversation with the bin-dipper’s manager?

• Novocastrian66

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:59 AM

We need two goals as I think they will score. We will go two up Pardew will put up the shutters. They will nick one with 5 mins top go and we will be holding on until the final whistle.

• p

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Hard to call this game, depends on how well we play on the night.

Both have some impact players.

As i say impossible to predict but i fear heartache i am afraid, hiddink will likely outsmart pardew

• obatoyou

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Holy mackeral!
    Newcastle 2-1 odds to beat Wigan!!!

Bet 400 get 1200 back~

• RonVanDam

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:28 AM

lesh @ 8

I couldnt help laughing lol. Made my day

• hkcabaye

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:06 AM

hope to see traore starting

• jimmysmith

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:16 AM

I’m experiencing that horrible nonsense again of believing we can actually win it, provided we carry a little luck.

Teams usually need to carry some luck to win a cup and lets be honest we carried a fair slice of it the last time we won it. And this incarnation is a far superior side, in me ‘umble opininion a course guvs.

(More doffing of cap, tugging of forelock, berating of whippet and so on)

• Santon03

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:42 AM

We can win this game if we can limit our mistakes, especially unnecessary ones.
    ————————-Elliot————————
    Simo———-Saylor———–MYM—–Santon
    ———-Anita——Cabaye———Perch——-
    ————Sissoko—————Jonas————
    ———————Cisse/Shola——————–

Full backs must help attack, Perch and Anita must cover their runs forward.

• one Tony Green

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Cannot sleep. Really looking forward to tonight.. Late breakfast at the Cottage Kitchen in Whitley Bay then off to the Companions Club.

TOON TOON.

• Owldman

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Injury wise ! Anyone think we may have another Dyer on our hands seems to me that HBA is going the same way

• santonthenewmaldini

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:12 AM

@Owldman

Too early to say if we have another Dyer Arfa was completely fit when we signed him until that thug De Jong broke his legs

Up until the hamstring injury which again was the result of a tackle on him he had played pretty much all of the league games so its difficult to say if he is a total sick note yet

With Dyer he seemed to get injured at everything u know if it was raining he would have flu etc ha ha where as I have seen Arfa take a fair kicking when playing for us and dust himself off and get back on it

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM

It’s that day people! Excited much?

Quarter finals here we come.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I’m going all out tonigh…4-1 toon……why be sensible, might as well really hype it up.

• geordiesteve520

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM

It feels like an eternity since our last game, really up for tonight.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM

TS….That a boy. I just don’t understand the idea about being sensible, we support Newcastle – where is the sense in that? 🙂

• Toon-Prodigy

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Morning folks,

A workmate of mine works security at the ground and reckons it’s a sell out? He said there were only 36 tickets left yesterday.

What a night in store at St James if this is true.

Can anyone vouch for this? I never expected a full house like.

• cyprus

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I hope the Arfa-Dyer analogy doesn’t come true, although it crossed my mind too. But then again, I wrote off Saylor and he seems fine these days…
    Nice of Rogers to give us some tips…
    Marveaux on the right? He seems more effective in the middle…
    On Obertan, shame about the lad (if he’s leaving), but he just hasn’t cut it. I honestly haven’t seen him actually dribble past a player and I never miss a game… maybe I blinked at the wrong moment.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Steve…It does feel like a lifetime, god only knows how we managed with no EL midweek matches before.

Prodigy…That would be great, what’s been the biggest EL attendance this season? Not that big as I recall.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:39 AM

cyprus

No you haven’t missed it…he just never seems to go past anyone. With his pace he could easily knock it 20 yards into space behind the full back and out run him like ronaldo, bale, walcott etc but he just doesn’t. And his crossing is poor (but to be fair so is the crossing of all of our wingers).

Ibiza

Exactly….why be sensible….football is just a bit of fun…enjoy it while you can and don’t get deflated over the bad stuff…..at the end of the day no matter how well or badly we do we can still watch our club every week.

• jimmysmith

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Ibiza, I’ve noted you’ve never been to St James’.

May I suggest you dig deep into those quite obviously beer bottle pockets of yours and get your f@cken arse to the next home tie if we go through tonight to rectify that truly appalling oversight.

I can assure you, you won’t regret it.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Jimmy…. 🙂 Ha, beautifully put good sir. If, I mean when, we go through tonight I shall be online looking into it, certainly fancy a bit of EL semi final action at SJP…what a way to pop my cherry.

Transfer…Not sure I agree about it being a bit of fun, when does that start? 😉

• cyprus

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:52 AM

So, Ibiza,
    do you have beer bottle pockets?

On trips, dare we dream of Amsterdam? I think tonight’s hurdle is the big one, after that anyone is possible. Hope the fans make some noise, it’s true that it goes quiet for long periods.

Transfer, I hear you, regarding all wingers. Still, I wonder if crossing is the way ahead for us. It appears that the modern game on the continent is limiting crosses, which, admittedly, contain an element of luck in them. Therefore, lots of wasted attacks. Crosses are good to change a position fast, but the randomness (or, at least, approximation) is a given. Fortuity is always a factor in crosses… having said that, I’m not completely against that kind of play, last year we scored some of our best goals with long balls… It’s just that we are currently not set up that way. e.g. see Stoke game.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Cyprus…Apparently so.

Dare we dream of Amsterdam? I don’t see why not, but let’s concentrate on this game first, then see who we get in the semis. However, we are only 3 games away from the final, so not completely ridiculous to think we may be there.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM

cyrpus

I think it’s all go to be taken in the context of the situation at hand.

If the cross is the most likely thing to get a goal at that time then do it, if not keep it and work it another way.

That’s where the best players excel…it’s all about instantly assessing a situation and knowing what the right thing to do is.

Sometimes crossing works, sometimes your better drilling it across the floor, other times it’s better to work it back and try to pull defenders out of position.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM

ibiza

today is round of 16…quarter finals up next not semi’s…..now who’s getting ahead of themselves haha.

• Toon-Prodigy

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Good morning Ibiza,

Nice and sunny where you are I bet..

Baltic here.

Erm, I have no idea about the information you require, I wish I was going though! Been on nights since friday, gutting I’ll only catch half the match on TV tonight before I jet off to work. The worst part is it’s my last one tonight and then im off for a week. Nevermind!

What a night in store though, quarters here we come, 3-1 to the Toon.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Oh yeah, in that case, no, no chance, we’re doomed, pardew out, Ibiza get a clue, blah blah.

🙂

• Rainrix

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Just some more clarity on that argument we had going on yesterday.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Morning Prodigy,

Nice blue skies, but a little chilly still (well for me at least – I’m sure you’d probably be out sun bathing).

Shame you wont catch all of the game, maybe the lads can have a better first half for a change? Maybe I really am expecting too much though.

• Markaccus

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Ibiza out!

• Black and White with an army lol

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM

last time we got help of livefool we got beat 2-0 with drogba scoring both for that game in the euro’s

• Markaccus

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Morning all. Thought I’d have a quick look in, before the people who make my bile rise turn up 😀

• Black and White with an army lol

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:07 AM

i’m taking my lass there tonight and it’s her first time at the great SJP so i just hope we win tonight