Ben Arfa Injury Not Long Term – Could Play At Wigan

Ben Arfa will not play tonight, and that was not only disappointing news for Newcastle fans, but it’s a worry that he had a reaction after playing last Thursday night in Moscow, especially when he’s been out over three months with the hamstring injury.

ben arfa cisse tiiote

Ben Arfa – seeing specialist today

Ben Arfa will be seeing a specialist today, and we suppose he could be cleared to keep playing, as the Newcastle medics seem to be taking no chances after he was played too early at Fulham in December, and that put him back a few months.

But there was some good news today from manager Alan Pardew, who says the injury is not long-term.

This is what Alan Pardew said about the French winger, who’s essentially been out since the home game against Maritimo in November, when he first injured the hamstring:

“Only he could answer how he’s had to cope with that, but I think he’s in a good place at the moment.” “The injury is one we have to be very careful with because more important is his welfare going forward so we don’t take any risks.”

“He’s had a strain so he could be involved as early as Wigan so the alarm bells aren’t ringing.” “There’s nothing untoward and if I’m honest him missing isn’t going to impact greatly on the game; the side is in a good place, we can beat them without him.”

We’ll have to wait for the report today from the specialist,  but we hope it’s a positive  one, and we may need Ben Arfa at Wigan to unlock their defense, since we have to do a lot better than we did at the  DW Stadium last season, when we lost 4-0 – and that ended a six game winning streak in the league.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Markaccus

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Hatem Ben Dyer

Hatemarcelinho

Hatem Ben Owen

Mark Vidarfa

• Rainrix

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Ben arfa is so frail he broke his thumb during a coin toss.

• Novocastrian66

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Bit harsh that mate.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I think those quotes cover the debate yesterday.

• Rainrix

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Sage… Its not in the quotes up there but he also said he’s seen a specialist as well, so yeah debate over.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Lies, lies, lies. We know what you did Alan, we know.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Just hope Benny’s miss won’t haunt us. Away goals are so crucial and so cruel if you’re on the wrong end of them.

It will be strange for Pardew tonight knowing he has to go for a win. Just hope we don’t shut up shop if we go a goal ahead and try hanging on. I don’t think my nerves could take it.

Have to take hope from Barca who were 2-0 down and where a positive approach reaped great rewards.

• Markaccus

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Just kidding. :p Just hope he’s fully fit before he plays again.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Rotonda…It will be painful if we go out on away goals. I do expect it to be a tense game to watch, so be prepared for that pain in your chest from about the 60th minute.

60th? I meant 6th.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:44 AM

rotonda

I think it will be a game we will look to keep tight but we will still attack.

I think the key is to attack but not over commit and leave ourselves vulnerable./

• Rotonda heights

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Ibiza

It would be interesting to gauge how supporting NUFC affects your health and general disposition, compared to other killers like smoking, drinking, eating fatty foods and stress related health issues etc!!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM

TS….I think the defense will be set up to do just that, defend. So no start for Santon, in defense at least. I also expect Tiote (unless he is in Pardews bad books for giving away a penalty) and Jonas in there for their defensive work. Apart from that, I think it will be on the other players to push on.

He wont want to leave us vulnerable at the back.

• Markaccus

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Rotonda. I agree we should attack tonight.

Barca, who were on a poor run by their standards TOTALLY DISMANTLED AC Milan…. AC Milan! Were not talking about a mid table la leaga club, here. As much as I’d like to think we’ll copy their style, I can’t see us with 85 percent posesion tonight 😀

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Rotonda…Interesting indeed. Another thing to add to the list of items I “should” give up, but likely wont 🙂

I suppose I could throw in a deal with God (or whatever it is you’d like to call him/her/it) that if we win the EL I’ll give up smoking.

• saxonfenken

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Talking of away goals, lets all say AGH!!!!!!!!!! for Arsenal, I hate Arsenal as much as Liverpool

• darrenfletcher88

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM

My team for tonight!!! Elliott,Simpson mbiwa Taylor santon tiote cabaye Anita Marv sissoko cissie! That’s a team that could put us through, what u lot think???

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Rotonda
    Would be absolutely gutted if we went out on away goals would probably be more heart breaking than being on the end of a rout to be honest!
    There’s no benefit to set up not to concede tonight, we need to go out and just get at them, think we could all forgive pardew if we went out whilst genuinely go for it!

As for this topic ummmmmm can we have a new one please Ed!

• Markaccus

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I’d hope that a few of our bigger, stronger players start tonight. Anzhi are not used to those players, as they can’t use players like that themselves at home (the pitch) and probably don’t play against it much in their domestic league. Jonas and ameobi might be effective tonight, as they are both big units.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:53 AM

markaccus

I’m worried about the lack of invention and creativity without Benny, Goofy and Debuchy.

Our only other creative player in that same genre as Benny , not saying Sissoko and Cabs aren’t, is Marveaux who only seems to work in cameos when played in the middle, not out wide. That pass for Ba at Arsenal and the one to set up Cisse v Stoke were sensational.

• spitfire_

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Why his first game after 3 months was on Moscow’s plastic grass?

• saxonfenken

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM

its given me Pulmonary Fibrosis, not to serious at the moment though.

• neneuk

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN!!!

KNEW IT…

Last week I was surprised, shocked, flabbergasted when I saw HBA in the starting line up, for three reasons;

1. It was his first game back after months out. Most managers faced with this situation would only give 15/20mins at the end.

2. The match was on a plastic pitch. Not conducive for players with injuries, i.e. Pardew’s reason for not playing Shola

3. The TEMPERATURE was -8 DEGREES!!! Completely wrong conditions for someone with a muscle injury as the cold temperature tightens up the muscle.

Seriously, this was a reckless decision from Pardew, anyone could see this was going to happen!!

• Rotonda heights

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM

neneuk

it’s when pardew does things like that makes me despair.
    Benny is a top commodity that you treat like a thoroughbred

• Sav

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Is this the furture….?
    Amazing to see Oba Martins has laid down 2.6 mil of his own money to Levante so he can leave to join Seattle.

Now why couldn’t we get Xisco to do that?
    or Marcelino?
    or Owen?
    or that Spanish winger/waiter Souness bought?
    or another dozen players we’ve been saddled with over the years?
    Come on Obertan, put a few hundred grand on Derek’s desk an you can be outta here…