Newcastle vs Anzhi Makhachkala – Match Preview

anzhi fc

Tonight is the biggest European game at Newcastle for a number of years, and the lads have a great opportunity to go through to the quarter finals of the Europa League,  and be in the hat for tomorrow’s draw in Nyon.

The score stands at 0-0 from the first leg in Moscow last week, and the tie is now very delicately balanced, but a win tonight for Newcastle will send us through to the next round, but a score draw will see Newcastle  eliminated.

And if the games ends in a 0-0 draw, then 30 minutes of extra time will be played,  and then if it’s still 0-0 after extra time it goes to penalties.

Alan Pardew has said he will play his strongest side tonight, and prioritize this game over our upcoming league game at Wigan on Sunday, but it’s really hard to know what Newcastle’s best team is – and in any case both Yoan Gouffran and Mathieu Debuchy are not eligible to play tonight.

Pardew has played 20 year-old Massadio Haidara in the last two European games,  and we think he’ll keep his place at left back,  with Davide Santon possibly moving over to right back, although Alan may want the added experience of Danny Simpson at right back.

There’s also a question as to who will play defensive midfield tonight, and that’s between Cheick Tiote, Vurnon Anita and James Perch – who had a great game at center-back in Moscow, alongside the very impressive Yanga-Mabiwa.

But we think Vurnon has a good chance to start this game, given his experience in European competition with Ajax, and he’s a more controlled and tidy player than Tiote has been of late.

Ben Arfa is not fit for this game, and surely that gives a chance to Sylvain Marveaux, who is in top form at the moment,  and set up the winning goal for Papiss Cisse in brilliant style on Sunday afternoon against Stoke.

So this could be the side that Pardew starts tonight,  for what is a huge game for Newcastle United:

Elliot
Santon Yanga-Mbiwa Taylor (S) Haidara
Marveaux Anita Cabaye (c) Sissoko Gutierrez
Cisse
Subs: Harper Perch Simpson Bigirimana Tiote Obertan Ameobi (Sh)

That’s a very good starting line-up and a very strong bench – which will be needed if we are going to get the win  tonight.

Alan Pardew had this to say about the Europa League today:

“If I’m honest representing England did get a mention last time we played in this competition.” “Yes, we have a responsibility for not just Newcastle fans but for the English Premier League as well.”

“Why not carry that through? Whether we have French players, Italian players or whatever it doesn’t matter, we represent the Premier League and they are proud to do so.” “We’ll try to do that if we can to the best of our ability.”

“They’re pacy so are a threat on the counter-attack. They can take the sting out of the game and we made hardly any offensive impact in the first game, so hopefully we will come up with our own answers rather than them coming up with defensive answers.”

“0-0 is not precarious, it’s a great position, we need to win the game.” “We squeezed through last time but we want to win this and we’ll have 40,000 Geordies in here going mad.” “ Anzhi lost 1-0 to Liverpool earlier this season and this match will be tough for them.”

“We’ve approached this competition as a significance of our achievement in the league last season. We’re in it to win it, getting to the last eight wouldn’t mean much unless we won it.”

And as we mentioned earlier today,  Newcastle fans seem very confident that we can go through tonight, with a huge 92% thinking we can go through tonight.

Will Newcastle Get Past Anzhi On Thursday Night?

Loading ... Loading ...

It’s going to be some game tonight, and we just have to hope that Newcastle get the breaks,  and if we can get through and be in the hat for the draw tomorrow at 11:00 am Newcastle time – things will be looking up for Newcastle United.

A bit like old times.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Ewokshatemackems

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM

First?

• northernirishtoon

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Nervous and excited for the game 2nite after reading that

Think it will be a convincing 2-0 win

We have 2 click sometime and I think 2nite is gonna be the nite

HWTL

• Mister Tuff

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I arrive on the blog a bit late today to be confronted by the news that both farmyard and zoo animals will be attending the match tonight, namely a cow and a giraffe. I know Percy wants a full house but this is taking it a bit too far. I would have thought the cow might have been interested in udder things but perhaps not the giraffe -they’ve got neck for anything.

Alright, alright, perhaps not the best jokes in the world but not bad for my first post of the day. I had a late night “refereeing” the debate between Tads and Jesper who were going hammer and tongs at each other and would probably still be had it not been for my intervention.
    Ibiza -it was clearly your fault for slurping off early -oops forgot to add:-
    Bob Marley and Bob Dylan -easy peasey.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Mister…I must say you showed some fantastic mediation skills last night 🙂

Northern…The game is not to be taken lightly, but I feel a win coming our way.

Carrying…Hope you enjoyed your festivities yesterday. As for Ranger, just thankful it’s now “Ex-Newcastle player”.

• Carryingcoals

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:37 PM

ibiza

I did indeed. Still feeling worried for tonight though. I’m not much of a betting man but I’ve just checked the odds for:

Inter 2 – 1 Spurs
    Chelsea 2 – 0 Steau
    Newcastle 1 – 1 Anzhi

300/1. Unlikely I know but that’s my instinct.

More concerned about progression of course, I just feel we lack enough up top to do enough. Hopefully I’m wrong but they are a dangerous side.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Carrying…You have us for a 1-1? Are you still drunk from yesterday? 🙂

They are dangerous, but I fancy us to get through.

Hopefully we can discuss whether to be optimistic about the quarters later this evening.

• Carryingcoals

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM

ibiza

There’s quite a strong possibility that I might be Who are we supporting again?!

• Transfer Sage

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Will Anzhi play their strongest team or gamble and rest a few?

They are close to the top of the league an after losing last weekend can’t afford to drop mroe points this weekend.

• Carryingcoals

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM

sage

I think they’ll go for it…

• Dagwoodz

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Anzhi are going to go for it, so I think we have to be very careful going forward…

It’s kind of a catch 22. I think the best strategy is to press them into their half of the pitch and attack. But that leaves us exposed at the back, and with them being a counter-attacking side it could be our undoing.

I do know if we try and park the bus, (which we don’t do well because we sit way too deep in our end) and catch them on a counter, we’ll get smoked quicker than a cheap joint in the ghetto.

Tough to call. Don’t think it’s going to be a high scoring contest. Optimistically see us advancing with a 1-0 win, but can see us getting nicked by away goals in a 1-1 contest as well. I just see it coming down to the defense needing to play a great, almost perfect game, to get to the next round.

• DokToon

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM

i got decent odds for toon to win, in regular time… so i took them, and will not being sharing my wealth with naysayers and doubters… rest of you, beers on me 🙂

• pawl250

Simpson – STaylor – Mbiwa – Haidara
    ————— Anita – Cabaye ————-
    —— Jonas — Sissoko — Marveaux –
    ——————– Shola ——————–

• Dagwoodz

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Having said all that, it’ll probably be a 3-0 TOON victory and I’ll happily eat humble pie.

• Pardews Parsnip Bonce

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Hey you crazy kids. Been away a while. Have i.missed much?

• Carryingcoals

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

dagwoodz

As would I, amen to that

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Dok…I’ll take my beer in a glass, not questioning your body of course 🙂

Carrying…It’s on the tip of my tongue, new something or other?!?

Right guys….meetings time.

Catch you before KO. HWTL!

• Transfer Sage

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

dagz

I think we are too very evenly matched sides both with a couple of game changers.

It purely depends who is at their best and which of the big players stands up.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

PPB….Nice of you to show your face. See you in another month or so 😉

• davybtoon

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

If ppl took the time to research they would realise anzhi are not very good away from home
    And tiote will play tonight am going 3-1

• Dagwoodz

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM

davybtoon,

With the ref that is in charge of the match tonight, Tiote, if played, needs to be on his BEST behavior. Won’t take much to get him on a yellow or sent off. I think it would be best to have Anita on from the start and bring Tiote on at ’60 or ’70.

• Dagwoodz

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Sage,

Their defensive set up impressed me in the Moscow game. Granted, we played with no recognized striker. But they stayed very, very organized and kept us to one good chance on goal all game. I’m hoping that our recent glut of goals at home continues.

It wouldn’t hurt having Tayls doing the harlem shake at their keeper every so often either…seemed an effective tactic. I think Pardew got it wrong on the dance though, should have been the macarena instead. Would have thrown Begovic and the rest of Stoke into sucha tizzy we would have bagged another 2 goals…

PARDEW OUT!!! USELESS!!!

• Transfer Sage

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM

davy

Yeh I heard anzhi don’t travel well.

The commentators said last week “anzhi are weaker away from home but they will play better next week”

I think they were talking about the fact we have a grass pitch which suits them but made me laugh the way they said it.

• davybtoon

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Team in the mirror this morning
    Elliott
    Santon Taylor mbiwa hiadara
    Cabaye tiote
    Obertan sissoko Jonas
    Cisse

I know ppl don’t like obertan but I don’t mind him n I would have him playing but I’d have marveux in over Jonas

• Transfer Sage

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM

dagz

Yeh they seemed to contain us well…but cisse is a different challenge than ben arfa with no match sharpness. They need to keep alert the amount of runs he makes behind (offside often but a back line which isn’t straight could let him in).

I think we limited them too…a couple of shot from distance but nothing more.

It was a tight game which both sides looked like they didn’t want to concede in more than they wanted to score.

• Pardews Parsnip Bonce

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Right im off guys. Catch up in Easter

• davybtoon

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Transfer – that commentator was pissing me off just kept goin on about how much better anzhi will b next week, they poor away from should b a cracking game
    We know we have to win so need a couple of goals IMO no need to panick if they score bcoz we need at least 2/3 goals to go through I reckon

• Transfer Sage

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:12 PM

davy

Obertan annoys me as he seems to not back himself. If he just kicked it past a player and ran he would be so much more effective than doing a daft flick or step over….he has pace so I just want him to use it. He can’t cross either but there’s plenty at our club like that so he isn’t the only one.

I like marv but I have never seen him play well wide, so would prefer jonas. Give marv a central role or off the bench I think.

We need players wide to combat their fullbacks and try to push them back into their half…..if we play marv and he keeps drifting inside we might struggle as their full backs will fly into that space knowing they have nobody to track.

Obertan and jonas wide tonight is the bets option in my mind. But we have options so fairly sure whoever we put out can win us the tie.

• catchy in norway

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM

davybtoon

if that is the team,, then god help us

the midfield will be to week, with no real support for cisse 🙁

• Dagwoodz

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM

No need for us to score 2/3 goals if we keep a clean sheet davybtoon…which could very well happen with the way that our defense has been playing in Europe this year.

😀

• Transfer Sage

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM

davy

europa league commentators annoy me so much….especially espn which is what we are on tonight.

They don’t know the basics like what foot a player prefers, recent form, anything of note….it’s poor from what is in essence a professional…not just a guy chatting with his mates like a lot seem to be.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I think it’s going to be a completely different game tonight compared to last week.Last weeks game was very poor to watch -but apart from a couple of early errors we were very very well disciplined, I think probably the best this season -everybody seemed to know exactly their responsibilities.
    Playing on grass tonight will I think lead to a better game and we should not lose sight of the fact their players will like grass better than a plastic pitch and will have played most of their lives on grass. I think last week Percy had an inkling for an away goal -hence he played Benny (foolishly).
    If everyone plays to their true abilities I think we should edge it 3-1 -but lets not forget at this stage there are no real mugs left in the competition.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM

catchy

I just asked about you today….glad your back. What have you made of our recent turn in fortunes? enough to back the manager (or at least give you hope) or still not convinced?

And what side do you want to see tonight? I think missing gouff and debuchy hurts us alot.

• catchy in norway

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Transfer Sage

in 2 seasons, both obertan and jonas have gave us very little from the wings

why play with wingers?

sissoko and cabaye behind cisse, with kind of free rolls

• davybtoon

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Transfer – IMO of obertan is similar seem to lack confidence in himself he’s better on the left wing and your right he gets called for his crossing but there are many poor crossers at the club

As for Jonas I like his work rate but at the end of the day he’s there to create n he creates nothing

We need a couple of tricky wingers in the summer I think

• Transfer Sage

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Catchy

I think you need width in a team to win.

Even Barcelona struggle without width, get crowded out too much in the middle as teams can then compress the game. Only recently against Milan did they retun to form as the width gave more space in the middle.

I know we don’t have great wide men but without them we would be too narrow and tere wouldn’t be as much space for sissoko to make his driving runs.

Whilst the wingers themselves wouldn’t have a direct influence I think indirectly they help by allowing room for cabaye and sissoko in the middle.

• Blaydon-Toon

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Transfer agreed mate ESPN commentators are terrible and that includes our GEORDIE Chris BIG MULLET Waddle ! TBF most channels seem to give us little credit when covering our games which really winds me up …. No one likes us we don’t care 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Davy

Obertan might lack confidence but I think the time has come for him to go. If he hasn’t go it now can’t see him every havin confidence.

Even if he could learn to run past people and be brave his crossing wood still be horrid so if we can cut our losses I think we should.

• Dagwoodz

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM

epiphany!

—————–Elliot——————-
    Simmo–Saylor–Mbwia–Haidara
    ———–Anita—–Perch————
    Sissoko—–Cabeye———-Jonas
    ——————Cisse——————

Bench: Alnwick, Santon, Tiote, Obertan, Marveaux, Gosling, Shola, Campbell

Simmo is competent defending for the most part, but does not get forward nearly enough like Debs, Santon, or Haidara. Putting Sissoko on the wing gives that side a more attacking threat, but keeps it secure as well. Same on the other side, having Haidara pushing forward, but Jonas is there to provide cover when he does. Cabs pulling the strings in the middle. Perch the primary CDM, with Anita the link between deep midfield and the front lines.

Again, it’s nice having options in the team. If you play Santon on the right, Jonas has to be moved over there for cover…can’t afford to give them space to move into for their counter-attacking style.

• catchy in norway

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Transfer Sage

i dont really see a change in how we play, we have better players, but all we do is give the ball to sissoko,,

its too soon to judge the players, as imo they have tallent, but goofy needs to be rested, i think he gets into good positions, but wastes alot,, i think that is more the speed of the game we play,,,

but on pardew,, same ol same ol, crap subs, jonas still starting,

and just to make this clear,, i think we have a fantastic squad, kids aswell, our MF could be one of the best in the prem,