Geordie Pride Returning To Newcastle – Fast!

Steven Taylor had a stalwart and brilliant game for Newcastle last night, in our 1-0 win against Anzhi, and we won with that last second goal from Papiss Cisse, and since the five Frenchmen arrived on Tyneside, the Geordie pride is returning to Newcastle and fast too.

papiss cisse steven taylor

Great shot of Papiss and Steven at the final whistle
It’s that Geordie pride fueled by our fantastic fans

We have now played 10 games since the French Foreign Legion arrived, and we have six wins – four in our six league games – two draws and two defeats at Tottenham and Swansea.

And nobody epitomizes the Geordie spirit as much as Steven Taylor, who is in the best form of his life since he returned from injury in January, and that coincided with the five new players arriving to significantly strengthen the Newcastle squad.

This is what a delighted Steven Taylor said in the Evening Chronicle today:

“Everybody was talking about Samuel Eto’o before the game and you know you are playing against one of the best strikers of all time really.” “His record speaks for itself.”

“There was a lot of pressure on me before the game.” “I’m just glad we put in a great performance as a team. We defended so well.” “In the first half we got the runaround a little bit.”

“The second half, we put them under so much pressure they could not handle it.” “I thought I was going to lose my teeth at one point.” “I was in the right place at the right time.”

“I got the blocks in early doors but the main thing is they did not score – so it was worth it.” “The lads are absolutely buzzing and we do not fear anybody.”

“The gaffer said we had knocked out the best team in the competition.” “They have outstanding players.”

Taylor put in a magnificent shift last night,  and in the first half he blocked almost everything Anzhi threw at Newcastle, and his display has to go down as one of the best he has ever given in the famous black and white shirt.

And make no mistake – the Geordie pride is fast returning to Tyneside –  and there was over 45,000 fans there last night at St. James’ Park – a phenomenal turnout on a cold Thursday night.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Rainrix

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Nice to see Cisse doing his best Ketsbaia tribute last night as well 🙂

• jockonthetoon

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Taylor was immense last night – think on Roy Hodgson!

• martoon

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Morning Markaccus. Yes I went with Mrs martoon – I think she must be a good luck charm – we never seem to lose when we both go.
    Some people on here don’t seem to realise that the other team will try to intercept your passes and break up your play. It’s not always as simple as he should have passed to so and so or we should have done this.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM

rainrix

I noticed that too…..he has gone insane recently, just seems to kick everything and start fights all the time.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

martoon

Exactly.

The people who see these things are often the same who complain if teams score against us as we didn’t stop them playing but then go onto say the other team shouldn’t stop us.

Can’t win when people are like that….best to just leave them to be miserable whilst we enjoy a quarter final tie.

• Rainrix

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Sage… I know, frustrations the only thing i can but it down to, although his record hasn’t been horrifically bad since ba left. Maybe he just knows he should be playing better. If he calmed down a bit i imagine he’d play better. He could’ve easily been sent off against chelsea and southampton.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM

rainrix

Yeh I know….he needs to keep his hands off other players, it’s just asking for trouble, especially the way a lot of players feign injury for slight contact.

The way he finished against stoke, he looked like the thought he was offside and played it casual, so much better when he is relaxed like that. Suppose it is difficult though to keep calm when under pressure.

• rfcready

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Why is Steven Taylor not the captain. He is what Newcastle United is all about.Cant understand why Tiote has the armband .

• Transfer Sage

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM

rfcready

I think taylor should be vice captain to cabaye…both passionate but taylor bleeds black and white.

• winnynufc

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM

How Ferdinand got in front of Stevie i do not know, Rio is finished he hasnt been in the squad for 2 years?? Hodgson what are you thinking??????? Anyway not really bothered as long as he is fit to play for NUFC & plays like that. Great performance by the Boys & ST gave his all as usual big gerodie heart in this lad!! HWTL roll on the Quarters.

P.S Someone send Hodgson a map of the A1 up to Newcastle!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Maybe Tiote was given it to try and calm him with a sense of extra responsibility?

Or maybe he just took it and no one dare ask for it? 🙂

I thought Jonas usually played vice captain though?

• Bettersford

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:17 AM

well done the toon. Saylor should be in england squad for sure.

• Rainrix

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Sage…. he’ll improve no doubt, his confidence must be going up now as well.

Also more talys love great shot of him….

• Troy Stavers

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM

@Tage

Per previous thread. You’re right. We are learning, developing and progressing as a team and club and also the manager. This will be a great learning curve for Pardew and give him the platform to drill confidence in his team for the rest of the season.

Some people need to take a step back and have a reality check. Enjoy the win and look at the positives instead of dwelling on the negatives.

I am convinced that if that had been the final and we had win the Europa cup, the same moaners would be on here stating we looked poor, criticising individuals and questioning Pardews tactics.

I’m putting my Toon onesy on today and gannin to the Toon for a walkabout!!

• Rainrix

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Troy…. “Well we won the europa league but we played horribly and pardew set us up all wrong, man has no idea we’ll be relegated next season Pardew Out!”

Sound like something they’d say? 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM

See this comment left on a SS article:

“Liverpool fan here, I actually think Newcastle will be a force next year, not winning the title but the top 4 for sure, if you look at teams on paper Newcastle have a much better team than the likes of Everton I think it even compares to ours and spurs’ once they gel even more as a team, they will be a force. Krul debuchy Taylor collocini santon mbiwa tiote Ben arfa cabaye sissoko cisse goufrann, not many teams have players like that across the whole pitch, it really irritates me cause they are so underated, great team with a great fan base + stadium. Honestly need a trophy. Don’t think they will win uefa cup though, be a massive achievement if they did. Still think we will beat newc at st James;) LFC “

• Agent Stardust

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Ive got a mate who says he would rather have O’Shea than Taylor. He never goes to a match, ever. But his knowledge of football is incredible.

• Diggedydaws

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM

This mate of yours…Mackem obs…I’d tell him to loosen his tie as it’s cutting off the blood supply to his ( tiny) brain! 😛

Hodgson wants his head reading if he thinks Cahill is a better CH than Tayls, Smalling as well, none of the 3 are what you’d call ball playing but Stevie T is better with the ball at his feet than the pair of em!

• Ketsbaia9

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Haha think Cisse reads the NUFCBlog site.

• Diggedydaws

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Going back to earlier post, the pitch seemed rock hard from where I was sittin last night too.

Good team we played last night, anyone else reckon Fenerbache are the ones we want to be drawing next round?

• Transfer Sage

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM

ibiza

I saw the post..signed by a J. Enrique I think it was haha.

But in all seriousness not sure why people are so quick to judge….if man utd had been the same they wouldn’t have had 25 years under Alex Fergusen…..people aren’t given a chance to learn and with looking up stats on the internet everyone thinks they are an expert and know best.

I know fine well Pardew knows more than me about football, thats why he is the one on a very good salary to manage a top flight club and i’m sat talking about us here.

I do think that Pardew isn’t safe for 8 years…if over the next season or two we don’t show the progress we should then maybe consider other options as he needs to show he can learn and adapt but for now he is more than safe I think.

I’m always against sacking people who are genuinely trying, I think it’s important to give people who want to learn every chance to succeed (extra training, assistance to help them improve, do as much as possible if the effort is there)…the same with pardew in my eyes.

As long as he is receptive to help and shows progress then I have no issue with him being manager even if I do want us to be a bit more cavalier at times.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM

diggedy

I think cahill is decent with the ball at his feet but not a great CB, get why he is in the squad though, decent enough player.

Smalling though shouldn’t be, he never plays for man utd either through injury or not selected…don’t see how he can be ahead.

Rio is on the downhill…ok as a last resort but we have better in taylor now.

• Diggedydaws

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I don’t know why there must a feeling of general gloom over everything after a match on here, it’s like we’re frightened to enjoy the moment.

Why even be mentioning sackings and so on, we’re through to quarters of UEFA cup for cryin oot loud!

• Transfer Sage

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM

diggedy

Just responding to a few yesterday and today who seem to be more concerned we didn’t win 3-0 instead of celebrating the fact we have made a quarter final of a major cup.

• Diggedydaws

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:22 AM

TS fair enough, I can’t put my finger on what it is but I do know from working all over the UK and a lot of other places world wide, we are either perceived as being really unlucky and deserving of a trophy or deluded by our vision of us being a big club and believing it is our right to of won something.
    When we were relegated it was an opportunity to realise what and where we were, to get our feet on the ground and under the financial stewardship of MA we are on a much better footing than most of world football never mind just the PL, fair enough we owe him a whack but we are not ticked up to the eyeballs outside of that and the clubs long term future looks pretty rosy to me.

Hopefully the days of soap opera, roller coaster fortunes are and steady progression and sanity prevail and we can be taken as a serious and ( in the not too distant future ) successful football club.

Rant over! :))

• Sav

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Not great to watch but 2 clean sheets against Eto’o and friends is no mean feat.

• lesh

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Strange that I was thinking about all the butters we’ve had entertain us over the years and in particular herr von stardust. Lo and behold, a miracle, who should pop up but another incarnation of his wit, his genius. Hail Agent Stardust…… It’s a miracle or, is he no less than Pope Francis by another name!

• rotherschild

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Hatem out for the rest of the season. He needs an operation on his hamstring.