Newcastle Can Reach Final Four – A Great Draw For Us

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew was pleased to see the Magpies get a favorable draw in the quarter finals of the Europa League earlier today, when we were drawn against Portuguese side Benfica, who finished second to Porto in the Primeira Liga last season.

alan pardew thumbs up in white

Alan Pardew – on hearing the draw this morning
Just kidding

This is what Alan had to say on the Newcastle web-site after the draw:

“It’s a great draw for us.””The Estádio da Luz is a great venue. I’ve been there and it’s a fantastic stadium.” “Importantly, we are at home in the second-leg and that will give us an advantage.”

“I’m sure we will have a full house for that. After what the stadium was like last night, I know it will be another brilliant atmosphere, and let’s hope we can bring a result back from Benfica in the first-leg.”

It’s a good draw for a number of reasons – there are stronger sides left in the competition, it’s not a long way to travel – like we had to travel to the Ukraine and Russia in the last two legs –  and we play the second game at home.

We have to have a great chance of making it through to the last four.

But we suppose in  in the next day – we’ll need to turn our attention to Wigan Athletic – because we need a win at the DW Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Repost:

I like that draw!

…so IF we get to the Semi final the winner of which game will we face?

• santonthenewmaldini

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM

After watching the game last night I honestly think that Anita could be converted to a winger he has everything a winger needs pace, movement and can cross a ball

He just gets out muscled in centre midfield that never happened to him at Ajax but this is because the football they play means no player has it for longer than 2 or 3 touches but in our team he would be a great flying winger plus he tracks back as well

• Rainrix

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Whats pards doing getting us drawn against benfica? Bloody idiot, Pardew Out!

• Carryingcoals

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM

repost

ibiza

Well yeah I fully understand that he’s a new young geordie striker. But still, young lads from newcastle with better reserve records have came and went. I mean it goes without saying that I hope he is prolific. He’s a more exciting type of player than Carroll for example.

sage

I too would have put him on ahead of obertan who shows distinct lack of effort. I felt campbell struggled a little on the left and would have liked a more authorative substitution being made.

I just thought he looked out of his depth, regardless of what job he was asked to do.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Troy

Not just me, Munster bit too!!!

Have you thought of extending your talent professionally or has that ambition already been realised?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Ibizatoon – Back by popular demand // Mar 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM

.Jesper…I think there is another draw for the semis on the 12th April.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Ibizatoon – Back by popular demand // Mar 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Carrying…I get what you’re saying. Let’s get excited when we see him do it on the big stage. But still, anything to give the Geordies a boost after this season so far is good by me.

It was hard to find anything to smile about a couple of months ago.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Ibiza…how did you come up with that answer to quickly? 😉 lol

…they you catch the game last night?

• Transfer Sage

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM

ibiza

yeh it happens after these games are finished

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM

*to = so

• Carryingcoals

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM

ibiza

Yeah exactly, onwards and upwards!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM

It’s a good draw for us…probably the best we could have hoped for!

…there are no easy games anymore (I believe we can go all the way)

• zico martin

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

This is a really exciting match , it’s a proper euro draw and what we’ve all been waiting for —— can’t wait !

• martoon

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Ibiza & Carryingcoals – I heard an interview this morning in which AP said he was saving Shola for extra time which of course we didn’t need.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Jesper…I just know my stuff 🙂

TS…Good to know you’re on the ball unlike wor Jesper.

Carrying…I do see him going out on loan next year as I expect new STs to arrive in the summer. He needs to be playing regularly.

• Joe1987

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Does anyone know th best places to get deals for flights and hotels for th away leg? Cheers

• Toon_Jock

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM

what dates are these legs played on?

• Toon_Jock

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Joe…

http://www.skyscanner.net is usually good for flights.

Not so sure on hotels.

• Toon_Jock

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

and i’ve anwered my own question!

4th & 11th of April 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

joe1987

Best thing I have found are comparison sites like:

travelsupermarket . com

expedia .com

etc etc…usually the cheapest ones.

also check budget airlines like easy jet and expedia and book flights there seperately….can get good deals sometimes.

• Troy Stavers

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

@Rotonda

I posted on the previous thread. I noted MM was likely squirming somewhere hoping we hadn’t noticed. 🙂

Well we did. 😀

• BK

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Little bit of data –
    Benfica have conceded in 7 of their 9 home Europa ties this season, winning 5 of them 2-1.
    They’ve won 4 and drawn 3 of their 9 away games(unbeaten in 3 games in France interestingly). Only teams to beat them are countrymen Braga and Liverpool who beat them 4-1.

Their league form is amazing but the Portuguese league is poor, all bar 3 or 4 teams in the top tier in Portugal would probably be Championship teams here.

So to summarise the key as I see it is to notch in the first leg in Lisbon. Then once we get them here play as we did last night – tight but with ambition. They did not react well to the Anfield atmosphere which will be at least equalled at SJP. The 12th man will be as important as ever.

I think we can go through!!!

• DokToon

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

april 4 away
    april 11 home

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Jock…Given the link you posted, do you now know the dates? 🙂

• jayphoto

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Celtic did well against benfica using strong arm tactics and being physical! Very lightweight side, they may struggle with tiote, mym, sissoko, taylor and haidara! If im honest on recent form we are a team that benfica would hate to play, physical, compact with pace at the back! They tend to succeed more against teams that try to play more open

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Jock….And you have already answered mine 😉

• WWYCD

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Brilliant, over the moon with that draw. Are we home first or second? I want another decider at St James!

• Joe1987

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Cheers lads

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Yo…Second. You can’t always get what you want, but this time you have.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM

BK

when did they get beat off liverpool?

• Troy Stavers

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM

This blog moves as fast as Campbell. You half expect to post and find out that another thread has been up and running for 5 mins!:-)

I liked Campbell’s confidence last neet like. I was near pitchside and he was taunting Eto.
    “Run run as fast you can, you can’t catch me I’m the Gingerhead lad!”

That took some balls like for a young lad running onto the pitch with superstars.

• DokToon

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:00 PM

i hvent been this excited since the fa semi v manure… and i feel very good about this draw…

HWTL

• Williamsonsuks

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

flights to Lisbon on the 4th apr return on the 5th £70 per adult flying from liverpool with ryanair, not badbad.

• jayphoto

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Was impressed that campbell was screaming for the ball since he came on! Not often an 18 year old is so vocal and eager to get on the ball

• Williamsonsuks

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Stubid firefox app. Nightmare typing with android. Stock browser wont let me log in.

• pawl250

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM

LEE RYDER HAS JUST ANNOUNCED HATEM IS OUT FOR REMAINDER OF THIS YEAR!! LIKE 2013!! NEEDS OPERATION.

• iggystinger

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Ben arfa needing an operation out for the season sickener like

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Williamson…go Opera 😉

• martoon

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I went to a wedding in Lisbon last year and flew with the portuguese airline TAP – they have some pretty good prices but unfortunately don’t fly direct from Newcastle.

1 2 3 6