The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Magpies’ League Position Not Safe – Priorities Must Be Right

1:38 pm, Monday, March 18th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 88 Comments

If Wigan win the game they have in hand on Newcastle, then we will be only 3 points above the drop zone, and we may be the only ones – but we’re not clear of relegation fears yet.

alan apdrew appealiong today

Alan Pardew yesterday – Newcastle are still not safe – yet

We were surprised we didn’t do better yesterday at Wigan, although there are a number of reasons for why we ended up losing, which we never really expected, after our good form over the last few weeks.

But after all the anger and confusion about what happened in yesterdays’ game subsides, the fact is we were beaten by the third bottom club, and we still have only one league win away from home this season, and we have lost out last three league games at Tottenham, Swansea and now Wigan.

And the very last thing teams want to do when they meet teams lower down in the league is to lose, and as the 90th minute approached yesterday, Newcastle looked to be in decent shape at 1-1 and on 34 points, and we’d still be a full 9 points above Wigan.

Drawing with the side who have an annual battle against relegation would have been a good enough result – given what happened in the game – but then when we conceded the late goal – and it should have been disallowed because of a hand-ball.

But that has kind of put the cat among the pigeons.

And maybe we are being too conservative and even negative – but it’s so important to keep in the Premier League – and not only that, but we need to climb the table as we can be more attractive to potential new signings in the summer.

When Pardew said eight days ago that our Premier League was safe and he would play his best side last thursday we did say if would not be good if we beat Anzhi, but then lost to third bottom Wigan – but that’s what’s happened.

It will be interesting to see how Pardew now approaches the first Benfica game on the Thursday (April 4th) following our match at Manchester City in a couple of weeks – especially if we are beaten by the reigning Premier League Champions.

After the Benfica game we are at home to Fulham on the following Sunday – and surely that is a game we must win.

We think the main thing is to ensure we are safe in the league – and as soon as possible – and with eight games to play – that’s not the case right now – fact.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Premier League

88 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mister Tuff // Mar 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Further bad news today;
    mattoutremont has returned to the blog despite saying half an hour earlier he was going to exile himself from the blog. You need to make your mind up.
    You accuse me of being political (really don’t understand that) when I simply list what you have spouted previously. Eh – what – can’t work that one out either.
    You state you were engaged in a debate with fellow fans and now state you were just “baiting” with the threat stuff. Baiting is not having a debate -it’s trying to get a reaction from others.
    So I’ll try to make a new list of your drivellous spoutings:-
    Does not tell the truth about leaving the blog.
    Admits that his post to abuse McManaman on twitter is not true.
    Admits that his post to issue death threats to McManaman is not true.
    Well I’m pleased you explained your true intentions -it makes me feel a lot better.
    You really need to stop trying to justify your posts today you are just making yourself look daft. I really do not want to reply to you further.

• 2 northernirishtoon // Mar 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Wynsleap

Playing santon anywhere apart from defence is probably a good option at the minute. Even guti put a better performance in at left back (defensively) than santon has all year

I think his half hearted attempt of a clearance yesterday clearly gifted them a goal, something which has gone unnoticed due to the controversy that was in the game

• 3 Rainrix // Mar 18, 2013 at 1:53 PM

• 4 Transfer Sage // Mar 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM

online guy

stop advocating abusing people

• 5 ONLINE GUY // Mar 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Right Iv just rang the training ground/managers office again ..and the answer machine is kicking in this time ..I wanted to talk to McManaman after speaking with the Manager earlier today ..

I have left Mc Manaman a Nice F***ing message feel free to do the same …I also give him my name and address and number ,,hoping he makes something of it ..

I was almost in my car this morning going to Wigan To sort the Basta**d myself .. Absolute Scum from the Gutter Mc Manaman, scouse BAstar*d

• 6 ToonDownSouth // Mar 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Dave Whelan says that the player “got the ball clean as a whistle”.

It’s absolutely sickening that while our player lies in hospital, they’re more interested in trying to avoid any punishment.

Classless bunch, I feel disgusted by the entire lot of them.

• 7 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Mar 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Seriously lads, I’m as angry as the next fan about what happened yesterday, but let’s not let ourselves down. Conduct ourselves with a bit of dignity.

If we are to be ringing anyone, how about we try ringing the offices of NUFC and inquire about Haidara’s welfare?

Abusing McManaman/Wigan/Whelan doesn’t help anyone, it merely satisfies your own selfish agenda, it doesn’t serve the club well, and it certainly doesn’t serve Haidara well. We need to get behind the lad and let him know we’re thinking of him and wish him a speedy recovery.

The FA have said they are going to ban him for at least 3 games, which is all we can hope for, everything else is pointless.

• 8 ONLINE GUY // Mar 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Transfer sage I will act and do anything I want in my Life ..I feel strongly about this and Im not taking any Shit from you ..here’s some back ..YOU little worm. iv got to go work now so if you reply I will miss it ..but for now dont dictate to me .

• 9 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Wow…what a weekend!

Ruddy…Nice to see you back, great timing as always :)

• 10 Transfer Sage // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM

online

you are the biggest coward going. Turning up at the ground to fight somebody is cowardly and disgusting but not even having the plums to go through with that and leavign abusive messages is even more pathetic and cowardly.

This is being reported to Ed, it’s disgusting.

• 11 Transfer Sage // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM

ibiza

You have missed a new level of rubbish on here. Not the usual manager/player bashing but instead this is not full on abuse and death/physical threats to other people now.

• 12 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Ruddy…Have the FA said that? Read an article today that said they would wait to read the refs match report first?

• 13 ToonDownSouth // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Online Guy

Calm the hell down, you sound like a common thug – which you may well be, but if not then shut up and stop abusing people.

Honestly, you sound like an absolute nut case.

• 14 Transfer Sage // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM

ibiza

I think that’s right. It’s standard for the FA to read a report from the ref before taking any action, nothing out of the ordinary. It’s just ticking boxes so to speak.

• 15 VTnufc // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Nothing we can do now to change what happened to Massadio. If anything, let’s focus on making the most of our remaining pl games and giving the europa league a proper go.

• 16 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM

TS…I have been reading, in fact was going to resist posting, but what can I say? I’m a gluten for punishment :)

I get people are frustrated, really I do, but no action has been taken YET, why are people talking about taking matters in to their own hands…seems totally premature. Even once it has been dealt with by the proper channels, are these people really saying they’re going to go and deal with it? Please, surely we’re better than that.

This isn’t me saying we should just let it drop, but some common sense is needed, although I wont be expecting it…not on the blog anyway.

• 17 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Ibiza

Dipping the toe back in the water, could still be a flying visit.

Eventful weekend, poor performance, but could be expected given how rattled the team probably was following the injuries to Debuchy and Haidara. Very disappointed by the defending for both goals and I am increasingly dismayed by Santon.

Just want to shake this weekend off and move on.

• 18 Shot Bru // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM

wtf…who let online guy and mattoutremont out the asylum….

• 19 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM

According to BBC sport that is the what they are going to do.

• 20 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Also, does no one else think that the more we act like clueless idiots (not saying people are that, but some of the comments make people seem that way) will just make the FA perhaps more lenient that they plan / planned to be?

Let’s do the right thing here and not make this situation even more detrimental towards us.

The actual incident should and will be dealt with.

Martinez / Whelans comments are only covering the club and players backsides and are expected. If anything they just show themselves up.

How we act now really sets the tone for this whole situation. Let’s not show ourselves up, that’s my view on it anyway.

• 21 toonluvva // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Really if we belive that our squad is good enough to push for europe next season then we should have been comfortably ahead of Wigan by the last minute of the match.

We were extremely unlucky that Halsey was unsighted for the “tackle” by McManaman, but what really cheesed me off was how the assistant failed to spot the obvious handball from the corner that led up to the goal.

Some will argue that despite the handball we should have been able to deal with the situation a lot better and cleared it upfield or out of play to safety.

We must not concentrate on the “tackle” or the handball as we must address more pressing problems first.

• 22 Transfer Sage // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM

ibiza

If people feel so strongly put that into something positive.

Contact the FA and various footballing bodies regarding wanting to see a change to rules and work on improving this sort of tackle/behaviour at grass roots level.

Thats a lot better than “sorting out” some guy from wigan.

• 23 ToonDownSouth // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM

In other news, all this business with Haidara has distracted from the fact that we played poorly yesterday.

I understand that the players heads may have been shaken by the incident, and two subs in the opening 20 didn’t help at all, but most of our players looked plane lazy.

Tiote needs to give his head a shake as well. I’ve never seen a player consistently surrender possession on such ludicrous and dangerous situations – although Sissoko gave it a good go as well!

• 24 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Ruddy…Whether regular or occasional, it’s good to have you back.

I think the BBC are assuming there, nothing directly from the FA that I can see. Here is the article I read which seems to tie in with normal procedures.

• 25 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I’ve had a go at guessing the no of points each team will pick up in their remaining games.

Gonna be squeeky bum time

QPR

Man Utd H
    QPR A
    Norwich H
    Sunderland A
    Tottenham H
    Southampton A

I’ve added up the points I think each team will get and the final outcome reads:

Reading 25pts
    QPR 29 pts
    Wigan 34pts
    Aston Villa 36pts
    Sunderland 38pts
    West Ham United 39pts
    Southamption 39pts
    NEWCASTLE?UTD 39pts
    Stoke city 40pts
    Norwich 41pts

• 26 joeinthecheapseats // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Whelans comments are pathetic he should be apologising to Haidara and accepting the ban that will be coming Mcmanamans way

• 27 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

TS…My thoughts exactly. All of these “efforts” being made by toon fans will play right in to Wigans hands. You can see it turning in to a case of that poor lad McManaman…

• 28 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Ibiza

You could be right, but procedure would usually dictate that he’ll get a ban.

I frequently read but haven’t been posting regularly but just thought I’d share my wisdom 😛

TDS

I agree, Tiote and Santon were very poor yesterday, Mbiwa seemed very slack as well. The defending for both goals was absolutely terrible and I am increasingly finding myself getting frustrated by the outlandish way Cisse takes seemingly simple shots.

A lot needs to be addressed.

• 29 Dagwoodz // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Ok ok ok…subject change…

So I see that Ferdinand has dropped out of the England squad. And promptly pulled himself out of contention for the spot due to “a pre-planned physical regime” that cannot be altered. I was thinking, great, now Saylor will get his deserved call up.

Nope

Steven Caulker gets the call.

Now, all things being equal, I haven’t watched Caulker play. I’m sure he’s a very good player. I just fail to see how Saylor’s performances over the past few months can be overlooked. A joke…

• 30 Transfer Sage // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Ibiza

Whilst I don’t think it will effect the FA’s decision at the very least it allows the media to tar us all with the same brush as being mindless thugs.

I hate tackles like that and played should be getting a lengthy ban of 10 games in my view but I certainly don’t wish any harm on the lad.

• 31 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Ruddy…Indeed. I fully expect him to be getting at least a 3 match ban and assume the BBC are working on the same thinking.

You’ve done well to read and not share your wisdom sooner…I can picture a lot of sitting on your hands :)

So, on to more internal issues…the way we’re playing.

It seems most fans agree that there are some fundamental issues within the team, but people still expect Pardew to be more aggressive and attacking in his philosophy?

• 32 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Dagwoodz

Could be a blessing in disguise given the injuries that have plagued our season. International games could put added pressure on Saylor and he’s only just returned from a long lay off.

I’d rather see him rewarded for his fine form of course but I think we just have to accept that England manager’s will never appreciate Newcastle players.

• 33 Shot Bru // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM

charlie…..i reckon sunderland are bang in trouble withthose set of fixtures…

• 34 Klatoon // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM

We need HBA and Cabs back, we are clueless going forward!

• 35 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Dag…On the issue of whether he should have been called up, then I agree it’s bizarre he’s been overlooked again. Maybe it’s just a case of knowing his injury history and seeing how it goes. There are other games to try him in, so judge him nearer the time if he is still fit?

Personally though, I am pleased he hasn’t. The last thing we need now is him to be injured at an international friendly.

• 36 Transfer Sage // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM

dagz

Steven taylor should be in, caulker hasn’t even been a regualr starter for a while now.

I see the England team different to a lot I think. Out of the 23 squad i’d have a settled 14/15 always in there who stay in the squad all the time, unless they drop right out of form for a long period.

Then the other 8/9 would be make up of form players from the previous month or two who you know can step in if your first team lads get hurt or are struggling.

On that basis I think taylor would be ideal for the bench ahead of a lad like caulker at this present time.

• 37 Dagwoodz // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM

@Ruddy,

Don’t get me wrong, I’m appreciative of the fact that Saylor isn’t going to have extra games on his docket. But I think that for someone with as much passion and fire as him, a call up is a deserved reward for a job well done. He puts his all on the line…(and even his bollocks), and sees nowt from those in the FA who select the team because he plays for us. It’s disgusting.

I’m fully expecting McManaman to get off scott free today from the FA. My faith in that organization was totally lost when nothing was done to De Jong after he destroyed HBA. That’s all I’m going to say about that…don’t feel like getting started.

• 38 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Ibiza

Sitting on my hands would be putting it ever so lightly haha

With regards the game yesterday, I was very impressed with the way Wigan kept the ball, especially in contrast to how badly we kept the ball, without Cabaye in the middle, our ball retention is awful. Tiote is an absolutely headless midfielder who needs to give his head a shake. Anita should probably get the nod purely for his ability to retain possession but Pards sees his players more clearly at training so I submit myself to his higher intellect haha

I was actually very impressed with Shola when he came on, purely because we kept the ball a bit better and were able to try and assert ourselves with Pards’ tactical changes but other than that there was not another single player I could praise as the general performance was under par. That could be down to the unsettling impact of 2 subs in the first 20mins but realistically we simply weren’t at the races.

• 39 Dagwoodz // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM

All that being said, I wish Haidara a speedy recovery. I really hope that he’ll be able to regain those physcial abilities that made him such a bright prospect.

No, I don’t wish harm on McManaman either. I think he did suffer a rush of blood, was over enthusiastic…and knew what he was doing. He should have been shown red, given the ban, and possibly more on top. But I’m thinking he’s going to get off with nothing. Carver, and NUFC, is going to get hammered for the halftime fracus.

• 40 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Shot Bru
    I agree but Sunderland have the have thevhardest run-in
    BUT One-nil is a lucky sod of a manager and
    they tend to win a game you least expect

• 41 numba9 // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM

whelen u plonker

• 42 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Ruddy….I only managed the first 45 minutes and had to go and meet clients at the airport, so can’t comment on Sholas impact. Not imposing ourselves has been a common problem throughout the season though and I do understand the frustration of watching that.

It seemed in the first half that Tiote was there to be our playmaker…which was baffling. He is and has always been a player to breakup play. Tiote and Jonas as holding midfielders is a bit of a waste imo, one of them should have partnered Anita to give us better definition and a chance of actually creating something.

• 43 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM

@ruddy

Or we could just ring them and give them a mouthful, tell them how it is??!!

Because why sow dignity when there’s a young lads career on the line, when we’ve lost to the game to Honduras version of maradona??

• 44 Dagwoodz // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Anyone else think we should employ Jonas as the LB while Debuchy is out, and Santon at RB and keep Simmo on the bench for a sub if one of them, lord forbid, gets injured?

• 45 Dagwoodz // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

@LEAZES

I really don’t think that’s going to do any good at this point. The best thing that we, as fans, can do is offer our support to Massadio. Right now, he’s going to need all of the Toon Army behind him as he starts the long road to recovery. (assuming it’s as bad as we believe it is)

Going after Wigan, the FA or McManaman does nothing but make a very passionate fanbase that the Toon Army is look overzealous and hooligan-like. Very counter-productive.

• 46 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Catchy…Was just reading comments from earlier. Are you seriously criticising Gouffran for not tracking back after all of the criticism towards Pardew for making them too defensively minded?

You also say that Jonas puts in a hell of a shift but who wouldn’t (well what you said was to that effect anyway)…are you on the wind?

• 47 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM

@dagzwood

Defintly not

Santon is worse than simmo at RB
    I would much rather have santon at LB and simmo at RB anyday

• 48 Transfer Sage // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM

leazers

It’s just about having a bit of class and respect. You will ring and hammer some poor receptionist when they did nothing wrong.

Much better off trusting the FA to deal with it and if you don’t like it complain to them and other footballing bodies. Give up some time to teach kids football and how dangerous a bad tackle can be.

Don’t sink to the level of those.

• 49 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Leazes

Because believe it or not, as a fan of NUFC you are a representing the club and how you conduct yourself reflects either positively or negatively.

All of those options are better than venting your anger to an answering machine. That is only my opinion of course.

• 50 Dagwoodz // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Ibiza,

You’re trying to apply actual logic to one of Catchy’s posts. I know you enjoy a good (well natured and sarcastic) row on here every now and again, but even you should know better. You’re poking the honey badger here…

• 51 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

@dagzwood

Maybe we are hooligan like,
    I know if I played on a football pitch right now with mcmanaman I would put all my energy in attempting to break his little skinny legs.

Yes we do need to support haidara aswell, feel sorry for the lad, he’s a potential future LB for France imo

• 52 Transfer Sage // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM

dagz

I wouldn’t mind that, santon defends the same either side but on the right can cross without cutting back.

I’d probable have simmo in at right back though, natural position and jonas will be used in midfield.

• 53 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Dag…Catchy usually humours me and as I said I’m a glutton for punishment 😉

• 54 DokToon // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM

gmorning all…

not happy with the result of things yesterday, at all… the result, and the injury… both were terrible… thought we had a point with santon, but…

one thing, if i may spout my opinion… while we are passionate about our team, and its a great thing, in no way should we as people, be willing to hurt, injure or wish ill upon another human… life is way too precious for that… it is a game after all, and we’re better than all that… i find it very disappointing… as always, a few bad apples in every bunch i suppose…

• 55 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM

NUFC LEAZES

If that is really the point of view you are coming from then there is little or nothing that you and I have to talk about. I won’t associate myself with someone who advocates violence or physically abusing another player.

2 wrongs don’t make a right, and if you really love club you will not ring Wigan and show this thug like nature of yours as it will only reflect badly on our great club.

• 56 FrankfurtMag // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM

The animal did it previously 2 years ago to Gai Assulin :-

Just below the title.

• 57 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM

On Santon…I only saw the first half and the highlights for the second, but he still seemed to cut in from the right in the majority, can anyone confirm this? Is it he just doesn’t like crossing rather than he’s being played on his “weaker” foot?

• 58 northernirishtoon // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Playing santon at right back is stupid when we have (as kets would say) 9 right backs

The love for santon on this blog really does have me scratching my head. Simpson IMO is far better defensively yet he gets absolutely slated. Even jonas done a better job at left back than what santon has been doing

He is such a liability at the minute. Doesn’t matter how well we play, when you have santon and tiote playing the way they are, you will always be vulnerable

• 59 Transfer Sage // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM

ibiza

yeh he did keep cutting in which is odd. He looked better when played higher though. He is better when he doesn’t have to run 60/70 yards before crossing/shooting

• 60 chris_g // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM said:

“…If you really care about Haidara’s career, how will ringing Wigan and shouting help him? How will it satisfy your empathy for him? If you are worried about him, ring NUFC and ask about him, send a message to the club to be passed on to him or send a message to the hospital.”

Spot on.

Let’s not forget how much the fans’ support meant to Benny when he was in a similar situation:

“I would like to thank all the Newcastle fans from the bottom of my heart for their fantastic messages of support and encouragement.”

“The club are sending lots of messages through to me. I’m told they are arriving in their hundreds and that’s really overwhelming.”

“It’s cheered me up no end and makes me feel really humble and honored that the fans are showing such support for me.”

“All I can say is a huge thank you to each and every one of them and I will relish the day that I’m able to pull on a black and white shirt again.”

• 61 Dagwoodz // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM

@LEAZES

I’m not going to advocate purposefully going out to injure another player. But during a game, if a player who made a challenge like that gets injured later on, I have a tendancey to turn a blind eye. I know I’ve told my defense, back in the day when I played keeper, to ensure that the tackles on certain individuals were a little more violent when they decided to rough me up. (of course, this caused a few brawls, but that’s another story)

That being said, the game is over. The matter is in the hands of the FA. Threatening McManaman at this point is criminal, and unwarranted. Threatening the officials is criminal and unwarranted. Threatening the answering machine at the Wigan front desk is comical and totally ineffective….and unwarranted. (I mean, what did that answering machine ever do to you, eh?)

I plan on writing Massadio and showing support to him in a positive way, not a negative way by threatening people.

I know it sounds all San Francisco circa 1960’s; peace, love, Ibiza…etc…but I just think it helps to be more positive in situations like this.

• 62 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I think some of the people on here are just complete and utter Nutcases?

Can understand all the fuss because we were basically screwed by the Ref and Linesman but some of the comments on here beggar belief!

I,d hate to meet up with you in any back-alley in the dark? Let alone stand beside you on the terraces?

• 63 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM

TS….That’s what I thought. He obviously prefers to cut in, it’s part of his style.

Have no qualms with trying him as a winger as his defensive attributes aren’t the best, two FB’s down now though so unlikely to happen anytime soon.

• 64 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM

The thing with Santon is that he isn’t defensive enough to be a full back, yet his crossing and shooting isn’t good enough to warrant playing him further up the field.

Personally, having watched Beausajour a lot for Wigan I think at times he is a fantastic player, and is much more accomplished than Santon in the wing back role and if Santon tried to emulate the way he plays for Wigan then we could see a different player.

The only downside with that is that you would really need to play 3 CBs with 2 wing backs for this to work and that is a tactic I really don’t like seeing played.

So, if Santon cannot mould himself into a proper wing back we should be looking for alternatives, and Haidara probably was that alternative and unfortunately he could be out for a significant period of time.

Thankfully Pardew has to deal with these dilemmas, and not me.

• 65 Transfer Sage // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM

ibiza

I think it could be very much a case of Gareth Bale with santon….not up to scratch defensively for a full back but with pace, athleticism, ability to beat men and decent shot he sould be a good winger.

Needs to work on his crossing but who at the club doesn’t.

• 66 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Loving the fact I’ve become a descriptive word or should I say I’m Ibizaing the fact….

• 67 Dagwoodz // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I couldn’t resist…the temptation to use it as a verb was too overwhelming.

• 68 Transfer Sage // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM

—-taylor—-mbiwa—-perch—-
    debuchy———anita———santon
    —-gouff———-sissoko—–marv
    ——————cisse———————

3 CB’s, wing backs with a holding player, 3 attacking mids and a striker

• 69 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM

TS…Being able to cross is overrated 😉

Dag… :)

• 70 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Ruddy
    On yesterday
    I actually don’t think santon played as badly as is being made out after the match, terrible defending for the 1st goal, but it was minutes after he was shifted to RB? Not saying he had a blinder but played pretty much to the standard of the rest and full credit for his goal he took it fantastically

Tayls n mbiwa i thought did okay but feel its maybe harsh to give to much criticism as our midfield, mainly tiote hung them out to dry imo especially when jonas dropped out of CM and to LB

Tiote is an absolute liability for me, can’t pass can’t tackle can’t look up can’t make runs and seems to forget what colour shirt he has on! Wouldn’t give it a second thought if they flogged him tomorrow tbh

Sissoko i thought had a very poor game yesterday lots of running himself into trouble and losing possession for me he doesn’t seem to trust playing the ball to cisse, ignored him a lot, can’t blame him like

Jonas I thought actually had a good game and was summed up by that fantastic tracking back and inch perfect slide tackle in our box!

As for cisse, what do you say? He’s shocking no other word for it, swings wildly at the ball ignores team mates shoots from ridiculous angles and fluffs sitters, and that shot he blazed over when we had four players in the middle, well if that was ba the abuse would of been unreal, personally I think the heavy links and apparent scouting of PEA may spell the end of him as a starter I just don’t think he suits the style of play where the CF does have to drop deep sometimes and he can’t play with his back to goal to save his life! Therefore we resort to crossing which just isn’t a good part of our game

As for the challenge I hope they ban the little runt for the season, intent or not, malice or not or even if he got the ball or not that’s was one of the most reckless dangerous and outright disgusting challenges I’ve ever seen in football, even neutrals and Wigan fans were calling into talks port this morning calling for the FA to take serious action against him

• 71 Dagwoodz // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Where would you try and fit Cabeye in there, TS?

Nice looking formation though…the only complaint I would have about it would be that it might leave us a little exposed at the back out wide.

• 72 DokToon // Mar 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM

ive fallen down and ibiza’d myself… what did i do then?

is that comparable to “pulling a homer”? the definition of pulling a homer, mean, ‘to succeed despite all idiocy… :)

• 73 Dagwoodz // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Dok,

You know they make adult diapers for situations like that, so you don’t ibiza all over yourself.

• 74 lesh // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Welcome, welcome Ibiza. Do you realise that your reappearance on the blog has raised the average poster IQ by 5 points?

Oh schitt, my appearance has reduced it by 6!

• 75 Dagwoodz // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Depends work wonders…had a bloke in the office who, on a dare, wore them for 2 straight days.

We gave him his money and kicked him out when he came in on day 2.

• 76 Transfer Sage // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:03 PM

dagz

Drop him in for marv and shift sissoko slightly out wider….but those 3 behind cisse would have a bit of license to drift around.

could even have him drop deeper next to anita to help with cover and pass from deep….then have just two behing cisse.

TADS

for me cisse isn’t helping sissoko…he was offside 6 times yesterday, thats way too many really, he needs to stay onside to give our players the chance to pass to him.

• 77 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Lesh…Is that to say I’m so stupid i make people look smarter? :)

• 78 northernirishtoon // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Transfer

I think the formation we play 4-2-3-1 is the bet to suit us

We are just let down by silly silly errors with the likes of tiote and santon

And you could put cisse into that category at the minute. If he isn’t beaming with confidence now after his rocket against Southampton, and his two 90min winners, then he never will be

• 79 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM

tads

Very through analysis, cannot disagree with a single aspect, other than McManaman will realistically only get 3 maybe 4 match ban.

The midfield culprits Tiote and Sissoko gifted possession to Wigan time and time again which put us under immense pressure all game long.

I thought Santon was dreadful, LB or RB he simply isn’t good enough defensively to play there. Shame Haidara is injured as I thought he would eventually displace him at LB. He played better when he was moved slightly further forward but still defensively is disappointing.

It is obvious that we need a striker and at least 2 natural wingers as Jonas, Marv and HBA aren’t wingers and Obertan isn’t good enough to play as a winger so these should be our priorities in the summer as Cisse is frying my head.

• 80 Dagwoodz // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I like the 3 wide free-roaming attacking mid-field set up. The problem comes when they get bunched up. Unfortunately, our players have a bad case of “Ball Watching”. They rarely move to the open space, rarely make runs, and when they do, they get ignored because it happens so infrequently that the player with the ball isn’t used to looking for them. It’s been my major critique of the way our team has played for the entire season. It’s part of the reason that Tiote gets caught out with the ball so often, because people are just watching him instead of moving and showing for a pass. That being said, i’m still going to slate Tiote for holding onto the ball too long. Would prefer he give a crisp pass back to the defense if he’s going to try and hold onto it.

• 81 lesh // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Ibiza, that’s a response I’ve not heard before. Your wit sir is commendable

• 82 Transfer Sage // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:09 PM

northern irish toon

I think with a fully fit squad 4-2-3-1 works quite well.

With not enough creativity missing cabaye and ben arfa I think we need to try and get more support around and beyond cisse, we just seem to far away from him and we are struggling still to create many chances.

• 83 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Lesh….Likewise. You have me second guessing myself.

Right guys, I am off. Been a pleasure.

• 84 DokToon // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM

dagz, i thought if i ibiza’d myself, it meant i had delusions of granduer, and was ITK on everything in life… :)

• 85 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Sage
    Completely agree mate intact one stand out offside yesterday was cisse standing 5 yards from the linesman easily 2 yards offside and sissoko actually signalling to cisse he’s offside so cisse dropped to just half a yard offside still called for the ball and got flagged straight away his positional awareness is terrible and i just don’t know how long you give him tbh and for he’s running our of excuses, no ba anymore he’s in position and still looks as poor as the start of the season

• 86 Dagwoodz // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Exactly…I think we’re going in the same direction with this one Dok…

• 87 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Dok…Before I go….Delusions of grandeur? Nothing delusional about my status mate :)

• 88 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 18, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Ruddy
    It’s a shame because at the start of the season santon was arguably are most consistent player, hopefully just a dip in form but its terrible for us and poor haidara that he won’t get a run and santon can’t be utilised in a more attacking position

previous post: Forgotten Man Could Now Play Role For Magpies