Magpies’ League Position Not Safe – Priorities Must Be Right

If Wigan win the game they have in hand on Newcastle, then we will be only 3 points above the drop zone, and we may be the only ones – but we’re not clear of relegation fears yet.

alan apdrew appealiong today

Alan Pardew yesterday – Newcastle are still not safe – yet

We were surprised we didn’t do better yesterday at Wigan, although there are a number of reasons for why we ended up losing, which we never really expected, after our good form over the last few weeks.

But after all the anger and confusion about what happened in yesterdays’ game subsides, the fact is we were beaten by the third bottom club, and we still have only one league win away from home this season, and we have lost out last three league games at Tottenham, Swansea and now Wigan.

And the very last thing teams want to do when they meet teams lower down in the league is to lose, and as the 90th minute approached yesterday, Newcastle looked to be in decent shape at 1-1 and on 34 points, and we’d still be a full 9 points above Wigan.

Drawing with the side who have an annual battle against relegation would have been a good enough result – given what happened in the game – but then when we conceded the late goal – and it should have been disallowed because of a hand-ball.

But that has kind of put the cat among the pigeons.

And maybe we are being too conservative and even negative – but it’s so important to keep in the Premier League – and not only that, but we need to climb the table as we can be more attractive to potential new signings in the summer.

When Pardew said eight days ago that our Premier League was safe and he would play his best side last thursday we did say if would not be good if we beat Anzhi, but then lost to third bottom Wigan – but that’s what’s happened.

It will be interesting to see how Pardew now approaches the first Benfica game on the Thursday (April 4th) following our match at Manchester City in a couple of weeks – especially if we are beaten by the reigning Premier League Champions.

After the Benfica game we are at home to Fulham on the following Sunday – and surely that is a game we must win.

We think the main thing is to ensure we are safe in the league – and as soon as possible – and with eight games to play – that’s not the case right now – fact.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Mister Tuff

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Further bad news today;
    mattoutremont has returned to the blog despite saying half an hour earlier he was going to exile himself from the blog. You need to make your mind up.
    You accuse me of being political (really don’t understand that) when I simply list what you have spouted previously. Eh – what – can’t work that one out either.
    You state you were engaged in a debate with fellow fans and now state you were just “baiting” with the threat stuff. Baiting is not having a debate -it’s trying to get a reaction from others.
    So I’ll try to make a new list of your drivellous spoutings:-
    Does not tell the truth about leaving the blog.
    Admits that his post to abuse McManaman on twitter is not true.
    Admits that his post to issue death threats to McManaman is not true.
    Well I’m pleased you explained your true intentions -it makes me feel a lot better.
    You really need to stop trying to justify your posts today you are just making yourself look daft. I really do not want to reply to you further.

• northernirishtoon

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Wynsleap

Playing santon anywhere apart from defence is probably a good option at the minute. Even guti put a better performance in at left back (defensively) than santon has all year

I think his half hearted attempt of a clearance yesterday clearly gifted them a goal, something which has gone unnoticed due to the controversy that was in the game

• Transfer Sage

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM

online guy

stop advocating abusing people

• ONLINE GUY

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Right Iv just rang the training ground/managers office again ..and the answer machine is kicking in this time ..I wanted to talk to McManaman after speaking with the Manager earlier today ..

I have left Mc Manaman a Nice F***ing message feel free to do the same …I also give him my name and address and number ,,hoping he makes something of it ..

I was almost in my car this morning going to Wigan To sort the Basta**d myself .. Absolute Scum from the Gutter Mc Manaman, scouse BAstar*d

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Dave Whelan says that the player “got the ball clean as a whistle”.

It’s absolutely sickening that while our player lies in hospital, they’re more interested in trying to avoid any punishment.

Classless bunch, I feel disgusted by the entire lot of them.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Seriously lads, I’m as angry as the next fan about what happened yesterday, but let’s not let ourselves down. Conduct ourselves with a bit of dignity.

If we are to be ringing anyone, how about we try ringing the offices of NUFC and inquire about Haidara’s welfare?

Abusing McManaman/Wigan/Whelan doesn’t help anyone, it merely satisfies your own selfish agenda, it doesn’t serve the club well, and it certainly doesn’t serve Haidara well. We need to get behind the lad and let him know we’re thinking of him and wish him a speedy recovery.

The FA have said they are going to ban him for at least 3 games, which is all we can hope for, everything else is pointless.

• ONLINE GUY

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Transfer sage I will act and do anything I want in my Life ..I feel strongly about this and Im not taking any Shit from you ..here’s some back ..YOU little worm. iv got to go work now so if you reply I will miss it ..but for now dont dictate to me .

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Wow…what a weekend!

Ruddy…Nice to see you back, great timing as always 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM

online

you are the biggest coward going. Turning up at the ground to fight somebody is cowardly and disgusting but not even having the plums to go through with that and leavign abusive messages is even more pathetic and cowardly.

This is being reported to Ed, it’s disgusting.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM

ibiza

You have missed a new level of rubbish on here. Not the usual manager/player bashing but instead this is not full on abuse and death/physical threats to other people now.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Ruddy…Have the FA said that? Read an article today that said they would wait to read the refs match report first?

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Online Guy

Calm the hell down, you sound like a common thug – which you may well be, but if not then shut up and stop abusing people.

Honestly, you sound like an absolute nut case.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM

ibiza

I think that’s right. It’s standard for the FA to read a report from the ref before taking any action, nothing out of the ordinary. It’s just ticking boxes so to speak.

• VTnufc

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Nothing we can do now to change what happened to Massadio. If anything, let’s focus on making the most of our remaining pl games and giving the europa league a proper go.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM

TS…I have been reading, in fact was going to resist posting, but what can I say? I’m a gluten for punishment 🙂

I get people are frustrated, really I do, but no action has been taken YET, why are people talking about taking matters in to their own hands…seems totally premature. Even once it has been dealt with by the proper channels, are these people really saying they’re going to go and deal with it? Please, surely we’re better than that.

This isn’t me saying we should just let it drop, but some common sense is needed, although I wont be expecting it…not on the blog anyway.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Ibiza

Dipping the toe back in the water, could still be a flying visit.

Eventful weekend, poor performance, but could be expected given how rattled the team probably was following the injuries to Debuchy and Haidara. Very disappointed by the defending for both goals and I am increasingly dismayed by Santon.

Just want to shake this weekend off and move on.

• Shot Bru

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM

wtf…who let online guy and mattoutremont out the asylum….

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM

According to BBC sport that is the what they are going to do.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Also, does no one else think that the more we act like clueless idiots (not saying people are that, but some of the comments make people seem that way) will just make the FA perhaps more lenient that they plan / planned to be?

Let’s do the right thing here and not make this situation even more detrimental towards us.

The actual incident should and will be dealt with.

Martinez / Whelans comments are only covering the club and players backsides and are expected. If anything they just show themselves up.

How we act now really sets the tone for this whole situation. Let’s not show ourselves up, that’s my view on it anyway.

• toonluvva

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Really if we belive that our squad is good enough to push for europe next season then we should have been comfortably ahead of Wigan by the last minute of the match.

We were extremely unlucky that Halsey was unsighted for the “tackle” by McManaman, but what really cheesed me off was how the assistant failed to spot the obvious handball from the corner that led up to the goal.

Some will argue that despite the handball we should have been able to deal with the situation a lot better and cleared it upfield or out of play to safety.

We must not concentrate on the “tackle” or the handball as we must address more pressing problems first.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM

ibiza

If people feel so strongly put that into something positive.

Contact the FA and various footballing bodies regarding wanting to see a change to rules and work on improving this sort of tackle/behaviour at grass roots level.

Thats a lot better than “sorting out” some guy from wigan.

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM

In other news, all this business with Haidara has distracted from the fact that we played poorly yesterday.

I understand that the players heads may have been shaken by the incident, and two subs in the opening 20 didn’t help at all, but most of our players looked plane lazy.

Tiote needs to give his head a shake as well. I’ve never seen a player consistently surrender possession on such ludicrous and dangerous situations – although Sissoko gave it a good go as well!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Ruddy…Whether regular or occasional, it’s good to have you back.

I think the BBC are assuming there, nothing directly from the FA that I can see. Here is the article I read which seems to tie in with normal procedures.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I’ve had a go at guessing the no of points each team will pick up in their remaining games.

Gonna be squeeky bum time

QPR

Man Utd H
    QPR A
    Norwich H
    Sunderland A
    Tottenham H
    Southampton A

I’ve added up the points I think each team will get and the final outcome reads:

Reading 25pts
    QPR 29 pts
    Wigan 34pts
    Aston Villa 36pts
    Sunderland 38pts
    West Ham United 39pts
    Southamption 39pts
    NEWCASTLE?UTD 39pts
    Stoke city 40pts
    Norwich 41pts

• joeinthecheapseats

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Whelans comments are pathetic he should be apologising to Haidara and accepting the ban that will be coming Mcmanamans way

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

TS…My thoughts exactly. All of these “efforts” being made by toon fans will play right in to Wigans hands. You can see it turning in to a case of that poor lad McManaman…

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Ibiza

You could be right, but procedure would usually dictate that he’ll get a ban.

I frequently read but haven’t been posting regularly but just thought I’d share my wisdom 😛

TDS

I agree, Tiote and Santon were very poor yesterday, Mbiwa seemed very slack as well. The defending for both goals was absolutely terrible and I am increasingly finding myself getting frustrated by the outlandish way Cisse takes seemingly simple shots.

A lot needs to be addressed.

• Dagwoodz

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Ok ok ok…subject change…

So I see that Ferdinand has dropped out of the England squad. And promptly pulled himself out of contention for the spot due to “a pre-planned physical regime” that cannot be altered. I was thinking, great, now Saylor will get his deserved call up.

Nope

Steven Caulker gets the call.

Now, all things being equal, I haven’t watched Caulker play. I’m sure he’s a very good player. I just fail to see how Saylor’s performances over the past few months can be overlooked. A joke…

• Transfer Sage

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Ibiza

Whilst I don’t think it will effect the FA’s decision at the very least it allows the media to tar us all with the same brush as being mindless thugs.

I hate tackles like that and played should be getting a lengthy ban of 10 games in my view but I certainly don’t wish any harm on the lad.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Ruddy…Indeed. I fully expect him to be getting at least a 3 match ban and assume the BBC are working on the same thinking.

You’ve done well to read and not share your wisdom sooner…I can picture a lot of sitting on your hands 🙂

So, on to more internal issues…the way we’re playing.

It seems most fans agree that there are some fundamental issues within the team, but people still expect Pardew to be more aggressive and attacking in his philosophy?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Dagwoodz

Could be a blessing in disguise given the injuries that have plagued our season. International games could put added pressure on Saylor and he’s only just returned from a long lay off.

I’d rather see him rewarded for his fine form of course but I think we just have to accept that England manager’s will never appreciate Newcastle players.

• Shot Bru

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM

charlie…..i reckon sunderland are bang in trouble withthose set of fixtures…

• Klatoon

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM

We need HBA and Cabs back, we are clueless going forward!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Dag…On the issue of whether he should have been called up, then I agree it’s bizarre he’s been overlooked again. Maybe it’s just a case of knowing his injury history and seeing how it goes. There are other games to try him in, so judge him nearer the time if he is still fit?

Personally though, I am pleased he hasn’t. The last thing we need now is him to be injured at an international friendly.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM

dagz

Steven taylor should be in, caulker hasn’t even been a regualr starter for a while now.

I see the England team different to a lot I think. Out of the 23 squad i’d have a settled 14/15 always in there who stay in the squad all the time, unless they drop right out of form for a long period.

Then the other 8/9 would be make up of form players from the previous month or two who you know can step in if your first team lads get hurt or are struggling.

On that basis I think taylor would be ideal for the bench ahead of a lad like caulker at this present time.

• Dagwoodz

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM

@Ruddy,

Don’t get me wrong, I’m appreciative of the fact that Saylor isn’t going to have extra games on his docket. But I think that for someone with as much passion and fire as him, a call up is a deserved reward for a job well done. He puts his all on the line…(and even his bollocks), and sees nowt from those in the FA who select the team because he plays for us. It’s disgusting.

I’m fully expecting McManaman to get off scott free today from the FA. My faith in that organization was totally lost when nothing was done to De Jong after he destroyed HBA. That’s all I’m going to say about that…don’t feel like getting started.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Ibiza

Sitting on my hands would be putting it ever so lightly haha

With regards the game yesterday, I was very impressed with the way Wigan kept the ball, especially in contrast to how badly we kept the ball, without Cabaye in the middle, our ball retention is awful. Tiote is an absolutely headless midfielder who needs to give his head a shake. Anita should probably get the nod purely for his ability to retain possession but Pards sees his players more clearly at training so I submit myself to his higher intellect haha

I was actually very impressed with Shola when he came on, purely because we kept the ball a bit better and were able to try and assert ourselves with Pards’ tactical changes but other than that there was not another single player I could praise as the general performance was under par. That could be down to the unsettling impact of 2 subs in the first 20mins but realistically we simply weren’t at the races.

• Dagwoodz

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM

All that being said, I wish Haidara a speedy recovery. I really hope that he’ll be able to regain those physcial abilities that made him such a bright prospect.

No, I don’t wish harm on McManaman either. I think he did suffer a rush of blood, was over enthusiastic…and knew what he was doing. He should have been shown red, given the ban, and possibly more on top. But I’m thinking he’s going to get off with nothing. Carver, and NUFC, is going to get hammered for the halftime fracus.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Shot Bru
    I agree but Sunderland have the have thevhardest run-in
    BUT One-nil is a lucky sod of a manager and
    they tend to win a game you least expect