The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Good News On Injury Front For Newcastle

3:24 pm, Tuesday, March 19th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 48 Comments

With our tough run-in to the Premier League and the Europa League, we need many of our top players fit, and there was some good news on Yohan Cabaye today,  although over the weekend Alan Pardew had said the French midfielder had half a chance to play against Wigan on Sunday, but unfortunately he didn’t make the squad.

yohan cabaye i can't hear you

Yohan Cabaye – trains tomorrow with French squad

The France manager Didier Deschamps says he expects Yohan to begin training tomorrow, although he did not train with the French squad today, for their upcoming European Qualifying games on Friday against Georgia and then next Tuesday they have a tough game against Spain.

The news yesterday from Alan Pardew was that the hamstring pull that Mathieu Debuchy suffered on Sunday was not too bad, as Alan had this to say:

“We’re sending him to France.” “He’s in the squad, and it’s their right to assess him.” “I don’t there’ll be much conclusion other than for him to come back. Hopefully, for Manchester City.” “We don’t think it’s a particularly bad one.”

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Moussa Sissoko are both in the French squad, and as expected Debuchy has now been released from the squad, and Marseille’s Rod Fanni is his replacement.

Mathieu showed some smarts when he felt the hamstring go against Wigan, and he he came straight off, and how many times have players kept on playing and made the injury worse – so Mathieu may now even  be able to make the Manchester City game – which is good news.

And because we slipped up at Wigan, under very unfortunate circumstances, we must now try to get something out of the game at the Etihad Stadium, and it’s not like City have been in great form lately.

And we need Yohan back, so let’s hope he comes through the Internationals okay, and that goes for Yanga-Mabiwa and Moussa Sissoko too.

We’ve lost Ben Arfa for the season, and probably also 20 year-old Massadio Haidara, although we are still to hear the official prognosis on the Frenchman – and we are hoping for best, and that the injury is not as bad as has been feared.

And we have to hear some updates on goalkeeper Tim Krul and captain Fabricio Coloccini, who is still back in Argentina.

It would be good to get an update from Alan Pardew on the status of Tim and Fabricio – we need them both fit and ready to go as soon as possible – and it looks like Yohan and Mathieu could make our next important league game.

A win at Manchester City would make up for the disappointment at Wigan.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Fabricio Coloccini · Injuries · Massadio Haidara · Mathieu Debuchy · Newcastle News · Tim Krul · Yohan Cabaye

48 responses so far ↓

• 1 outsidethebox // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM

repost.looking at fixtures pardieu has to go for a weakened team against benfica in away leg
    elliott
    simpson mbai taylor santon (rtaylor)
    obertan tiote bigi gutti
    shola campbell
    dont think we can afford anymore injuries on mmake or break 3 home games

• 2 hatemorloveit // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Guys is there any rivalry between newcastle and middlesbrough? I mean is it anywhere near the level of sunderland?

• 3 catchy in norway // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Transfer Sage

the only thing different with those players and HBA is there managers,, nearly all thos you mention + countless others all play for managers who play football higher up the pitch than we do,,

i also have to ask at what cost to HBA’s is it that he gets to practice his attacking side his game, when our main focus is deffence,,

when i watch say hazzard for chel, he has options left and right, HBA has to pick the perfect pass or score wonder goals,,

i think we all have to remember we got a great player, that just needed a slight attitude adjustment, not skill,, i doubt there is anything pardew can teach HBA that would make him a better player than he was, i think its the other way,, he should be given a free roll and given the ball as much as poss,

OC this is when he is fit,

• 4 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM

How’s that good news? We expected Cabaye to play against Wigan, now we’re just hoping he’ll be back for Citeh!

And no update on our other injured players…Krul, Colo, Ben Arfa, Debuchy, Haidara, Raylor…

• 5 catchy in norway // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Transfer Sage

HBA has been the star player at all the clubs he has been at , and they have won things with him in the team

• 6 Rainrix // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM

hatem… There is a rivalry but its no where near as fierce as the one we share with sunderland

• 7 catchy in norway // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Transfer Sage

i agree that i htink we have a very good squad,, like you said the other day, on par with spurs, bale is the best player in the prem right now,

i think we have a better squad then everton, liverpool, i think ours is as good as arsenal’s,

• 8 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I know this could be controversial, but I don’t get the Owen hate. I was very happy when he left because we spent £17m and £120,000pw on a thoroughbred striker, and ended up with one just about keeping out of the knackers yard, but I don’t blame that on Owen.

Yeah, he’s not the most passionate of men and that doesn’t sit well with some of the Toon Army, but we didn’t buy him for that, we bought him as a clinical striker. He was also a crap choice as captain, but that was KK’s bright idea to get more out of him and have him lead by example.

Owen was a great English striker, it’s just a shame we only got to see a shadow of his former self in the black and whites. Shearer and Owen in their primes would have been awesome.

• 9 kevymartins // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:35 PM

So the news should come out today about haidara and what the fa are going to do?

Apparently its not the guys 1st challenge like that he near killed some we guy for the man city reserves and we could possibly fine wigan up to 6 figures still money won’t replace haidara’s leg

• 10 Alberts_tash // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Hatem – Boro would love a fierce rivalry between us and them but in truth we don’t really care.

• 11 kevymartins // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM

And that we twat deleted his twitter due to abuse from toon fans

• 12 allyallalls // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Sky Sports News ?@SkySportsNews
    FA will not charge Callum McManaman over his tackle on Massadio Haidara #SSN
    Details

• 13 sanchez // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Apparently, the FA are taking no action against McManaman. What a farce.

• 14 Alberts_tash // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM

FA- no charge. No further action.

• 15 bzak12 // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM

So McManaman gets off lets hope this offical never refs again and Millwall dish out the punishment he deserves!

• 16 Transfer Sage // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM

catchy

Ben arfa has won things wherever he has been in france but he has never been prolific in the way other players in his position have in french football. He has never dominated goals or assists which for a player who has been used as a striker, winger and number 10 is a very important aspect of their game.

I’m not saying he is a bad player, he is a very good footballer technically but his decisions making really lets him down I think.

I do agree pardew keeps his leash tighter than I would like but he hasn’t been banging them in before he joined us in the way top players in the french league in his role did.

• 17 kevymartins // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM

That has just made me sick to my stomach its a complete utter joke

• 18 Rotonda heights // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I don’t hate Pardew. Hate is a very emotive word. I just wish that with the players he’s blessed with he’d take their straitjackets off and let them play.

We create so few chances per game which with so much time spent training on defense is hardly surprising.

I realise AP is not going anywhere and we are not going to get the equivalent of a purple manager, but I just wish he would change the emphasis to attack a bit more and maybe have 2/3 days a week attacking training, not just 1 with the other 4 always on defense and make other teams worry about some of our players more. Just a thought.

• 19 Transfer Sage // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:41 PM

gazza

No problem, football is full of different opinions, each to their own.

Out of interest who do you think is better than ben arfa in world football and who isnt out of those I said.

• 20 mindshaft // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Well, if Debuchys injury isn’t too bad we’ll prob get by in defence – Simpson is available for selection and we have Perch who can also fill in at RB (albeit not his best position)
    Can’t see us getting anything at Man City but now the title is gone for definitely you never know

When do the FA announce McManamans ban?

• 21 Rotonda heights // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:44 PM

When I hear stuff like that it hardly surprises me as the FA are such an ineffectual and ineffective bunch of wet amateurs with vested interests.

The FA never do the right thing with the money in the game now. Cue all the youngsters who think it’ll be ok to do what McManaman did. What a total f…..ing disgrace

• 22 mindshaft // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM

WTF!!!!! this is a f*****g disgrace

Breaking News!!
    Callum McManaman faces no further action for Haidara challenge

• 23 Foxworth // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Wigan’s Callum McManaman to face no FA charge over Massadio Haïdara tackle

D**kheads.

• 24 Rainrix // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Wow thats farcical

• 25 hatemorloveit // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM

The FA lack common sense: apparently we would have had a better chance if the assistant did not see anything at all as opposed to him seeing only part of the injury and i quote from skysports”In the case of McManaman, it has been confirmed that at least one of the match officials saw the coming together, though not the full extent of the challenge. In these circumstances retrospective action cannot be taken’ – this sort of action should go to parliament!

• 26 leeb1982 // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Well see that filthy scouse prick escapes punishment

• 27 mindshaft // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM

WTF!! – time to get rid of the FA

Breaking News…
    Callum McManaman faces no further action for Haidara challenge

• 28 Munster Mag // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Rotunda, if he still does 4 days defensive training as Carver said, then one wonders if our better players, or the more creative ones, will want to stay. Still, they seem to like him……
    Billson I agree re Tiote and have expressed same sentiments as you on a few occasions. You make a good point about running with the ball. I dont think thats in his armoury in the least. I guess with we sell him for 10 mill he will have been a good signing, but in some ways you can see now why NUFC have a somewhat exaggerated position in the tarnsfer market. ie I dont think Tiote was in hot demand when we paid 3mill for him, so maybe he wasnt such a steal. If we keep him, he needs more creative players to give the ball to. I do sense though that despite the influx of French talent, we are still a defensive team who wont hammer any team or create many chances consistently. Put it this way, when we went 1-0 down, I just knew that we wouldnt win that game….incidentally unlie some, I dont rate martinez highly at all, and he conducted hinself poorly after the match. As did his slug of a chairman.

• 29 Transfer Sage // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Well the little faith I had in the FA has now gone. I really thought they would throw the book at this lad.

What they want to do is throw the book at the linesman, if he says he saw it and it wasn’t bad enough for a foul then he clearly doesn’t know the rules and should be sacked with immediate effect.

• 30 ash1001 // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:48 PM

NUFC via Derek Llambias have just issued a statement on the club website regarding Wigan and MacManaman.

Surely we the supporters have to do something if the Club cannot, its a total disgrace, do not think I have been so annoyed for a long time.

MAYBE THE PLAYERS SHOULD GO ON STRIKE

Why should they risk themselves when the FA turn a blind Eye to something the refereee missed, total joke they are.

• 31 Munster Mag // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM

The annoyong thing is that it looked like the bastard got the ball – the ball ends up 10 yards away. I suppose Whelan will say “I told u so” in that stupid accent of his.

• 32 ash1001 // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Odds on Carver gets a 3 match ban just to rub salt into the wound.

• 33 hatemorloveit // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I study law at newcastle university, the criminal law says if you suffer injury within the laws of the game, the defendat wont be liable. However this is clearly outside the rules of the game. It was reckless at worse, and it has resulted in a bone fracture: GBH. This is similar to what Roy Keane did in the manchester derby. If you did that to someone in the street, you would get the section 18 thrown at you. I am livied that the FA is not coherent with the law of parliament

• 34 SuperShearer // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM

The FA have made a huge error in not punishing McManaman. Newcastle should take it to court and they’ll likely win compensation for it from Wigan. It doesn’t actually effect us at all whether he’s suspended or not but the principle of it is disgusting. I am yet to hear a professional player or ref say the challenge was anything other than reckless and stupid. I just hope MH is on the mend and that the injury is not as bad as first thought.

• 35 mindshaft // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM

That is incredible news – I cant believe they have just sat on the fence by saying a linesman saw a bit of it

• 36 catchy in norway // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Transfer Sage

wwe have to remember his age too though, not many teenagers control games

ronaldos decisions making was very very poor but with time he sorted that out

Rotonda heights

believe it or not,, i dont hate pardew , i think he is a very kiind man, nice man

BUT

its this niceness why i think he is wrong for the job,, he puts to much faith in players that are simply not good enough,

he will never get the best out of our squad

• 37 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Some one please correct me –

But was Tiote or Barton or could it of been someone else not cited and banned even when a the referee or linesman saw it.

If so double standards

• 38 ONLINE GUY // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Transfer Sage

I really don’t know what to make of it all ..all that was said yesterday..And you reporting me to Ed ..Well you know I was Upset like a lot over that tackle …just a football matter and that’s all It was ..you took it to serious when I said I felt like going down to Wigan And Sorting that Thug out ..think about it ..a passing thought that many would have uttered but never meant. I did make a call and spoke to 2 people, one being the secretary .. I simply told them that the Tackle was a disgrace and Should not be defended ..All passive and decent ..but I also let both know how I felt..That’s it, no abuse …just told them it was possible a young player could have played his last game because of a Wigan player’s disgraceful disgusting attack on a young player .

I see many Comments on this blog that are really rough advocating doing this and that ..Act’s of Wickedness and the like ..We know that the comments are not serious ..take them with a pinch of salt ..You need to lighten up..It felt like you were awaiting an oppo to jump on me and took the time to do it .

Still I wont hold a grudge …All s fair in this and that so no hard feelings . all the best Transfer. Really.

• 39 Rainrix // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM

At least llambias is talking sense for once in taking charge and going straight to the FA about this.

• 40 kevymartins // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM

@Ash agree the clubs poition the can’t really do anything and we can’t blame them for that so maby we have to take matters into are own hands for the love and passion of are club and the sport.

• 41 Rotonda heights // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM

The FA are simply not fit for purpose

What the hell example is this to youth.

Apparently McManaman had previous on at least 2 occasions so this ”no malicious bone in his body”’ is absolute b…….s!

• 42 beefman13 // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Ruddy, for me AP sets up not to get beat than to win, a bit loke oneill at the mackems, maybe the old sating of strikers score the goals but defenders win championships has a basis, nut it stifles the creativity we could have with the players we have, i have mentioned we havnt bossed one game in as long as i can remember, that shows that skids go on uf we are in the lead, shackles come of if we are behind, the mackems are fairly similar to us in the way we play and set up. It is still frustrating to watch, one wi one draw and 8 defeats in or last ten away shows this without doubt IMO

• 43 ash1001 // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Ben Thacther got an 8 game ban from the FA a few years ago and that was after the ref had given him a yellow card for the incident

• 44 Transfer Sage // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:55 PM

catchy

I accept ben arfa was quite young in france and was a ‘trouble’ child so to speak.

But he was in his twenties when there still so didn’t stand out as much as he should.

I don’t want to sound like I am slating him, just I think he isn’t as good as people say purely because he cannot transfer his talent to consistently produce a threat.

I’d love him to end his career with us as he is so entertaining, I just want him to play to what he is capable of which is a world class player.

• 45 catchy in norway // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM

talking about it now

• 46 Mister Tuff // Mar 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM

The FA are a total disgrace -because the linesman saw a bit of the incident. Surely with the video footage any reasonable observer would see the tackle/violent conduct and that there was more to the incident than a mere coming together of players.
    Using the laws of the game to do nothing/as an excuse to do nothing -is disgraceful. What a useless bunch of people.

• 47 hatemorloveit // Mar 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Balotellis stamp on Scott Parker- nobody sees it – means retrospective action

Mcmananmans’ GBH- someone sees only part of it- no retropsective action. Wtf?

• 48 ash1001 // Mar 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I have just sent the following E Mail to the FA, anyone is welcome to use it if they wish to follow suit and show our disgust.
    Dear Sir/Madam
    As a football fan of over 60 standing, I must express my utter disgust ts the way the FA have handled the tackle made my Callum MacManaman on Massadio Haidara during Sundays game between Wigan and Newcastle. The FA are there to govern and set and example as to what happens in the game of football in England, and on this occasion they seem to have forgot that they have a duty not only to the players involved but also to the fans you support there various teams.
    It does not matter whether an official saw or did not see the incident and in this case the referee has indicated that he did not, but it appears from press reports that the assistant referee did see contact, but on that point if it was contact, as it was with studs showing and the contact been on the knee (foot off the ground) then why did he not see fit to tell the referee as that constitutes a foul. If that was not what he saw then surely he cannot be used as a witness to the incident.
    I would also remind the FA that they took retrospective action against Ben Thatcher some years ago by giving him an 8 match ban even although the incident in which he was involved had been witnessed by the referee who issue an yellow card to the player.
    I am sorry to say both the players who turn out each week for there various teams and the supporters who follow then, have been very badly let down by the FA.
    In conclusion in this matter i have toned down my actual words used in this letter out of respect for any on the innocent parties that may read it, but am sure they will understand what I actually did want to say.
    Regards