The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Orders Rest Before 5 Games In 15 Days

8:58 am, Tuesday, March 19th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 28 Comments

With Newcastle’s 2-1 defeat to Wigan on Sunday, our safety in the Premier League has still not been secured, and it’s not the best of results to go into the two week International break with, and of course we also had Mathieu Debuchy and Massadio Haidara injured on Sunday.

alan pardew with beard

Alan Pardew – wants players to rest

So the upbeat mood going into the game had disappeared when the final whistle blew, and Wigan had only their third win at home all season and gained 3 points on Newcastle, and they are now only 6 points behind the Magpies with a game in hand.

Our next game could be a tough one at Manchester City a week on Saturday, and after that we start the two legged tie at Benfica on the following Thursday, followed by a home game on the following Sunday against Fulham.

The second leg against Benfica is the following Thursday, and our home game with Sunderland was finally put back yesterday to the following Sunday.

So at the moment it seems to be the calm before the storm and once Saturday, 30th March comes along we have to play 5 games in 15 days.

So at least we have two home games following the two ties against Benfica, but we must also concentrate on the Premier League,  and we need two wins in our next two home games, otherwise we could be in some trouble. Two wins will give us 39 points from 33 games and we should be OK.

Alan Pardew has today said his squad will be resting:

“We’ll be resting.” . “We’ll rest the players.” “Outside of two or three days work, we need some rest. We were full tilt after Thursday, and you could see we were a bit tired towards the end.” “We had two subs missing because of the injuries. That didn’t help, either.”

Certainly that last minute goal by Wigan changed everything, and if we had managed to hold on to a 1-1 draw,  we would have been sitting fairly pretty in the league and 9 points above 3rd bottom Wigan.

But it didn’t happen that way, and we still have a fight on our hands in both the Premier League and the Europa League.

It’s a good job our lads have the fight and passion that will be needed in those upcoming crucial games.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Injuries · Massadio Haidara · Mathieu Debuchy · Newcastle News · Premier League

28 responses so far ↓

• 1 jeff // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:00 AM

any news on debuchy?

• 2 Transfer Sage // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Nothing on the length of the injury, just that he will not join up with the france squad for their upcoming games.

• 3 Rainrix // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Brilliant, Dont know if this is an oldish comment but whelan has said:

“So, hopefully, the lad (Haidara) can start playing again next Saturday. Hopefully he will be okay and not be too seriously injured.”

Deluded much?

• 4 jeff // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM

okay thank u transfer sage

great to see gosling return to the team. can see him, bigi and abeid forming a potent midfield trio in the future

• 5 Transfer Sage // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I simply cannot get my head around his stance. By showing such disregard he surely cannot be helping his case with the FA.

I get defending your player like martinez did, but to come out and say it wasn’t a bad tackle as he got the ball is laughable.

I’ve never liked whelan, always feels the need to run his mouth about something. It was about liverpool in the summer being after his manager, which they say they didnt want but he says martinez rejected them (yeh, because he couldn’t bare to leave wigan for the 2nd biggest club in teh country).

• 6 Rainrix // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Sage… I agree this whole whelan situation is baffling. I wonder if its his hate for ashley coming through.

I wonder how he’d react if it was his player on the receiving end of that tackle?

On the bright side it seems general footballing opinion is on our side for once.

• 7 geordiemark // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM

just been reading that halsey is considering quiting being a ref aye I would as well after the mess hes caused and his linesmen and 4th offical all of them should quit also hes been getting death threats which is a very stupid thing to do, I wonder what the FA are going to do with the wigan player today now if they do nothing that will really upset everyone also I think they should charge both martinez and whelan with bringing the game into distribute

• 8 Transfer Sage // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM

The amount of coverage not just on sports or local news, but national news for this is unusual. All seems to be on our side as you say.

Hopefully the lad gets ban for it. If he does he will miss the FA cup semi final at Wembley which will be a good punishment and might make him think twice before doing it again.

• 9 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM

EDS mentioning 2 wins to be safe

A few stats from this season – doesn’t make pretty reading

Only won 1 away game
    Only won 2 in a row – once
    Only kept 4 clean sheets
    Only 2 wins without Cabaye
    Lost 4 in a row – once
    Lost 3 in a row – once
    Lost 2 in a row – once
    Only won by more than 1 goal – twice
    4 times lost by more than 1 goal
    Still joint top of the injury table with 8 players out

AND?some bogies we have to lay in the last 8 games
    Not picked up a point against Man City at the Etihad
    ONeill has never lost a Derby match
    Sam Allardyce since he was sacked has never lost a match agianst the Toon

In season relegated
    As now
    played 30 points 29
    got 5pts in last 8 games
    ended up on 34 relegated

this season
    played 30 points 33
    if we got 5pts
    end up on 38pts
    could be

• 10 geordiemark // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Ive read that newcastle are considering legal action and rightly so, the medical bills, wages the poor lad would make, ect ect ect make wigan pay for it

• 11 geordiemark // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:18 AM

sage he should be banned for as long as the lads injured for that would stop them tackles quick smart

• 12 Transfer Sage // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:20 AM

It certainly wont be easy but I think we will be fine.

Our record since january is much better than our general record for the whole season so I think we will have more than enough to stay up.

• 13 Toon-Prodigy // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I actually feel a bit sorry for the ref. He was in all honesty blind sighted for the actual challenge. He wasn’t helped by his team either,
    Between them all they failed epically.

Still though, if he feels that way then he should seriously consider it.

So we are waiting on injury updates then. Hopefully an update around dinner time today.

• 14 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Transfer Sage
    Yeah I think we will be safe – JUST

• 15 Transfer Sage // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM

geordie mark

I don’t like that idea. I think a long ban is a good idea, look around the 10 game mark for me.

I just think say it is only bruising and haidara has gotten lucky then I don’t want to see this lad out for only 2/3 weeks.

Also, say it was a lesser player in your team injured, you could feign his injury in terms of length of time out to prevent the other team having use of their player.

I just think a set ban of 10-15 games would be sufficient and make managers and players think twice about what they condone on a pitch.

• 16 geordiemark // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM

toon I think the ref saw enough really, he had his linesman who was about 10 yards from the players and he never said a word to halsey everyone on the field heard the lad scream so id give nothing to halsey and co I think they knew alright, after that halsey was booking players all over the place

• 17 Transfer Sage // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM

toon prodigy

The linesmen are at fault for me. The linesman running the top line (as seen from tv) could easily see from his position on the half way line and then the bottom linesman was in perfect place to see the handball.

Why call then assistants if they don’t actually offer assistance to the ref.

• 18 geordiemark // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM

sage 10 games would do me but there has to be new rules brought in about these tackles and other fines as well for the player involved this cant keep going on with just a games ban

• 19 Transfer Sage // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM

geordie mark

People were stating a recent case in france where th lad got a 9/10 game ban for this tackle. So the rules from FIFA allow it, we just need to get it in place in the FA’s mindset.

• 20 geordiemark // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I still think english refs should all be replaced with european refs for next season just for 1 season and see how it pans out, over this season how many refs have not allowed goals, let players off with serious tackles ect ect ect its the highest its ever been really

• 21 geordiemark // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM

hmmm the FA do come under FIFA so they should implement them rules so id like to know why they havent

• 22 Toon-Prodigy // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt, if he really didn’t see it then he can’t call it. Maybe his positioning could of been better though? Im sure he will be asking himself these questions and considering leaving the job role if he’s not at the standard anymore.

Seems a shame though, in these circumstances, having such a long time refereeing. The challenge will be sorted I would of thought. It was the handball at the end amd the timing which sunk me the worst after already having a disastrous afternoon.

• 23 Hatem's better than Messi // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I’m hoping that no news is good news and Haidara hasn’t damaged ligaments.

There are always a few hard tacklers in each team, some are idiots too.
    It’s a tough game.

Halsey’s view was blocked at the exact time of the tackle, so I don’t get the criticism of him.
    The assistant was to blame, he saw the tackle.

Both Halsey and his assistant should have seen the handball. So slag them off for that.

Shame if Halsey’s been threatened and is considering retirement. Pure chance that his line of sight was blocked.

• 24 Transfer Sage // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM

geordie mark

I think there is some level of discression. As FIFA don’t agree with retrospective action but the FA do.

I think we need to look at refereeing as profession and try to improve the standard. Fast track those who are good lower down and give far less chances to incompetent ones.

• 25 geordiemark // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM

hatem and toon ok I take your points ill lay off halsey, I think thats why carver done his nut you know when halsey done nothing not even a free kick or a booking

• 26 Toon-Prodigy // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Aye they had every right to be infuriated. At the time though they wern’t to know he was blind sighted.

Was it just me or did it seem to take for ever for the medical team to get on the pitch. The poor bloke was in agony!

• 27 geordiemark // Mar 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM

aye it took a while for the medical team to get on mind it took there security guards quicker to grab hold of carver, I really dont want wigan to get relegated this season I just want us to play them next season and see what happens

• 28 nufc 11 // Mar 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM