Next Season Could See This Youngster Come Through Big Time

We’ve had a few emails from friends of Adam Campbell, and they are telling us  this lad is completely and utterly dedicated to Newcastle United, and if he doesn’t make it at the club, it will not be because of lack of effort.

adam campbell england

Adam Campbell in England colors

Adam Campbell is one of the most exciting young prospects currently at the club, and he made his England U19 debut on Thursday night, and big things are expected of the 18 year-old.

Adam has so far made two appearances for the first team, and he is likely to add to that number before the end of the season.

Campbell has always reminded us of a young Michael Owen – who of course announced his retirement earlier this week.

Adam has the speed, movement and goal-scoring prowess that Michael had when he was a teenager and into his early twenties, before injuries (and interest in horses) started to take their toll.

Adam Campbell has talked today with the Shields Gazette about his ambitions:

“I just want to be involved as much as I can, but we’ve got some quality players in the team,” “I’ve got to bide my time, and hopefully I’ll get in there.” “Last year, I was worrying if I was going to be in the Youth Cup squad.”

“Now I’m playing in front of 50,000 at St James’s Park – it’s a dream come true.” “It’s brilliant to know the fans are there with you cheering everything you do.”

“I used to love it when Geordies came on, whether it was Andy Carroll or Sammy. It makes you feel that bit closer to the player when he’s homegrown. It’s nice to have them cheering us on.”

“It gives the crowd a lift, and that lifts the whole team.” “It gives everyone that extra yard.” “It’s good to know the gaffer trusts you, and that the fans want to see you. They help you. The crowd like to see youngsters on the pitch.”

“I’ve always been confident in my own ability.” “When you come on in front of that crowd, it’s hard to keep yourself calm. But you get a few touches, and everyone supports you.”

North Shields-born Campbell is the latest local youngster who could make it big time at Newcastle, and we’ll get some idea of just how big this lad can become  next season, when we expect him to get a lot more games in the first team.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Black and White with an army lol

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM

if Campbell starts getting first team starts and have many many years at our club he could be better than messi and neymar put together

• reccerobbo

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Hopefully he will burst on to the scene next season, can’t see him been as good as Owen in his younger days but hopefully be proved wrong!

• NUFCarter

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Our youth squad is definitely improving from before. Many of them never really got into the first team other than andy Carroll players like Ryan Donaldson and Ben riser got released and went into the the conference and league 1. Now we have got championship quality youth players coming in but because our first team squad is of such quality I can’t see any player breaking through. Although Campbell has the biggest chance of breaking through because we areoffering nothing up front at the moment. I love how we are sending alot of our players out on loan because I follow their teams and see how they’re getting on.

• NUFCarter

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I meant Ben tozer I think he went to Northampton who are in league 2 but he could be at Yeovil now

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:13 AM

@nufccarter

Same here mate, I hadn’t watched the football league show since we were in the championship until, sammy and fergy were loaned out :p
    It’s good seeing them get regular football and actually doing well

• Rotonda heights

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Great getting in these better players and youngsters and I’m all for it but we desperately need better coaches.

• arctoa

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM

The two lads at St.Johnstone just got themselves a cup winners medal each, too. That can only do positive things for them as players, and even if they don’t make the grade it’ll add to their transfer value quite substantially.

I’d like to see more integration with local league clubs, and even those in the non-league. The stronger the local teams are, the better youth players they’ll all bring through – which in turn gives us a larger pool of talent to pull from ourselves.

• toonincheek

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM

It’s great when one of our youth academy come through to the firts team, even better when they are geordies.

But the Club also do so much good in bringing players through to make a career in football, even if they are not quite good enough to make it to the top.
    Let’s face it – not too many do.
    If we got one new player a year from our academy that made it as a first team regular, that would be a great average.

• arctoa

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Rotonda’s right, though. It’s all well and good bringing these players in but without the right coaching they’ll just end up being the same sort of cloggers we’ve been bringing through for years. We’ve really got to look at the Spanish model for coaching; maybe send our coaches out there, or send the youth teams out there as much as possible for tournaments and whatnot.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I’ve got a good feeling about Campbell for some reason. Can feel it in my bones 🙂

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM

All of a sudden things are beginning to look up! Three “purples” could be anyone depending on the level of cash and how Ashley rates a certain player. If I had a realistic choice, I’d definitely go for PEA, Wijnaldum and a new DM as I’m becoming more and more uncertain with Tiote!

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Check out this little lad! Memphis Depay!!!

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM

• bills-son

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Strange, when the media reports that ‘every player has his price’ at NUFC the blog has been full of Ashley ‘the fat greedy bstad’ will sell the instant he can make a decent profit – but when the media reports that Ashley won’t sell any top player for any price the blog hardly comments on it.

I wonder why?

I’ve said it for three years, Ashley is the best owner of our club in my 50 years as a fan and he is also the most ambitious. Unlike the Halls and Shepherd he has a structured plan to make this club successful both on and off the pitch. We are now moving into another phase of this plan where the financial stability attained now allows us to keep our best players and add further quality to an improving squad.

We have a club that will increasingly become the envy of the owners and fans of other teams. I see Sunderland have just announced a £27M loss – and I doubt their squad is worth much more than that debt.

Next season could be mega for the Toon.

• Dennis Twice

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Colo injury is fake…if you fall on grass you dont break your bones.

Benny already sold.

Cabaye goes Manu

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Don’t talk wet man

• bills-son

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Dennis Twice?

Dennis Troll more likely – a whinging envious 5under1and troll.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM

bills-son,
    I hope your right.

• toonincheek

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM

MA’s ambitions of making the club self sufficient, breaking even
    is far FAR better than
    previous owners who have seen the club as a way
    of making money on the side.
    Like dodgy transfer deals with suspect agents.

• kneel before zod

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM

@ bills son 14

totally agree

• Toon Tang

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM

heres hoping bills… heres hoping

• aidantoon

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Bills son, yes I agree with your post.

Dennis, where is your evidence?

• lucasnufc

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Owen trying to re-write his NUFC past on twitter

• aidantoon

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM

In the summer we need 3 purples, a left winger, forward, central defender and no reason why we can’t be top 6, even top 4.
    Need a good clean out as well though.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Bills

I think it’s more timing for comments. During the transfer window a lot more people are on and there are a lot more comments on any article which is usually when stories of players leaving are written.

It’s generally quiet now on any topic in comparison. But I do know what you mean, it’s easier to be negative than positive for some people.

——

On the colo injury…we simply don’t know he extent. What we do know is he wasn’t allowed to leave in January for free so I really can’t see why we would allow him to leave to sit in Argentina if he genuinely didnt have an injury.

And as for not breaking bones on grass…what rubbish. On a very firm pitch it can be as hard as falling on concrete near enough. Been a few games I’ve played where people have fallen and broken collar bones or wrists so easily done.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:26 PM

On mike Ashley as an owner

Is he perfect? No. But so far he seems to do things right, as in to benefit the club. Name change annoyed fans but was to generate more cash, whether it was worth it not sure but there was a reason behind it.

He messed up last summer, corrected that in January. He needs to show he has learned by buying in the summer, seems like he will from all the press so wouldn’t jump to any conclusions until the summer window shuts.

With our previous owners we gambled our future for trophies. It wasnt a good gamble as they signed a lot of poor players to go with the good ones they got but there was no long term plan. Everything was short term with no care for the security of the club.

I think Ashley has a plan, not a 5 year plan as some say, just a plan to grow the club year on year. Bring in good youngsters and cheap players who have talent.

Like any club, if a very good offer comes in it will be considered. Arsenal, spurs…even man utd with ronaldo sold players. It’s better to sell if you get a big fee and the player wants to go.

I don’t think with Ashley we have made many bad decisions when selling. Carroll was good business, e toque wouldn’t sign a new deal, Barton caused a fuss, Nolan was a mistake I think but not a bad one.

Overall Ashley is doing pretty well and we are making progress. As long as be continues to learn from any mistakes made that’s all you can ask.

• bills-son

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:35 PM

One of the things I really like about Ashley is that he has never risen to the bait of the hatred he has had to criticise the fans in any way. Similarly, when we finished 5th last season he has never taken the opportunity to go to the press and try to big himself up or say ‘I told you so’. He has just gone about his business in – I am sure – the belief that he is doing the right thing to take our club forward.

He also learns from his mistakes and I am sure he has learnt a massive lesson from last summer’s transfer window. He put that right in January and I’m sure he’ll do everything possible to get the extra 3/4 quality first team squad members that we need through the door this summer. Most fans, and Ashley, know that we are genuinely near to having a potential top 4 team.

Having said that, the first thing we’ve got to do is get 40pts this season. Until that happens and we are clear of relegation worries everything else is on the backburner.

• Jackel001

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Dennis, I broke 3 vertebrates in my back when I was on holiday and that happened on an inflatable water sport, Its how you land.

As for your other stupid comments…well that’s it really. Stupid.

• santonthenewmaldini

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I actually think we might already have some of these “Purples” over the line on an agreement with their clubs depending on our premier league status as they will have learnt from last summers mistakes of having to haggle for players like the De Jong saga and then losing out to higher bids

It might be like the summer before where we signed lots of players early doors before other teams even knew who the players we were going for

I think PEA would be amazing for us but if someone like Spurs or Chelsea come in we are pretty screwed out of that deal as the wages they can offer and Champions League football

I would love us to sign some British players as well such as a Tom Ince and Mcguire from Sheffield United ones that have played a fair bit for their clubs although they might end up being costly…

I also think that players such as Ferguson, Abeid and Ameobi could do with 1 more half season out on loan to the championship/SPL and then bring them back in January to see how they have progressed for me none of them have played enough games

You only have to look at what Man Utd done with Cleverly and Wellbeck they spent a couple of seasons away getting games and they are now able to step in when needed cant say the same about our players who are roughly the same age but have not played anywhere near the same amount of games

Would also like to see us snap up a bargain from the possible relegated sides such as QPR, Wigan and Villa
    Benteke, Weimann, Di Santo, Kone, Hoilett or Remy could possibly be picked up at a bargain price we all know Ashley likes a reduction !!!

• 17irmy23

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:05 PM

HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD THE RUMOUR THAT IT WAS HBA THAT WAS HAVING IT AWAY WITH COLO’S MISSUS? AND THAT’S WHY THEY’RE BOTH GOING TO EXIT THE CLUB?

• Owldman

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM

@1 What ever medication you on isn’t working lad go to your doctor and get it changed, your not seriously suggesting that Campbell is going to be better than Messi or Neymar , too light weight mate will get murdered by the big boys.there was on instance against Anzi when the defender just brushed him aside like a fly, being pacy doesn’t make a Messi in the making.

• Charlietoon

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Loved seeing him come on the pitch and one thing is certain. It’s great for him to be play with players like Cabaye, Sissoko, Santon etc in training and on the pitch and this will raise his skill level a lot more than the old squad he was up against day in and day out.

• jayphoto

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

for me, Ashley has made mistakes but he definately seems to learn by them! we all kicked off when carroll left but in hindsight, what an amazing deal that has been! For me, ashleys mistakes have come when he’s tried to please the fans i.e.: appointing Keegan and Shearer! We’ve been crying out for structure and he seems to be providing it! Pardew might not be everyones cup of tea but last season he proved to do an excellent job, this year he’s been really unlucky with injuries! Financially we’re in better shape than ever also! Time to give MA some credit i think, we were a laughing stock under shepherd, Ashley has restored our reputation and given us a better european profile! Signing of Yanga-Mbiwa proves that for me, sissoko, gouffran and debuchy are great players but MYM could of had his pic of top top clubs in europe and wanted to sign for us!

• toonLYF

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM

jayphoto

excellent post mate, and i completely agree regarding Yanga-Mbiwa. Him signing shows we’ve really progressed in stature.

I mean how many centre-backs can just walk into a new club and start performing flawlessly from the get go? I’ll answer that; top class ones, which have a world class future written all over them. MYM is as classy a player as you will see, and to sign him up for 6-7m is a stunning piece of business.

Saying that, my favourite January signing is Debuchy.

• pizzicatochan

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Hey no stirring Mackems. We just wanna talk about football.

• toonLYF

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM

17irmy23…

go back to to twitter or facebook man.

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM

LYF
    Agree mate on debs and MYM
    Don’t there there’s a harder part of a team to walk into and look comfortable and settled than the back line, so to have 2 new players come in at the back and settle seamlessly speaks volumes of there class and ability
    Debs has looked fantastic at RB and gets forward well, actually think he’d formed a good partnership with jonas who looked better on the right for me
    MYM and tayls also seem to have formed a cracking partnership and read each others game brilliantly!
    Infact I don’t think there’s been a single jan signing which hasn’t settled well!
    Socks has been good acting as our midfield dynamo which until his arrival did sometimes look sapped of energy
    Goofy has played well bags of energy and running good range if passing and once again think he’s paired we’ll with santoon
    Then there’s poor haidara who had looked a cracking little player, hopefully he’ll be back sooner than expected pushing for the first team

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I will give Mashley all the credit he deserves if he makes our club successful but Im not going to sing his praises from the roof tops while he keeps making ridiculous,stubborn decisions,people only seem to mention the stadium name change and the selling of AC,what about the total lack of respect shown to KK and AS,two legends of our club,not to forget a relegation and a complete lack of communication with the fans that suppoert our club through thick and thin,the stubborn self centred decision not to strengthen last summer was unforgivable and to say he put that right in January because of ambition is a little premature considering we were staring relegation in the face and a potential loss of serious money,no I am reserving my judgement on the owners intentions until next summer.

• toonLYF

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM

tads…

good assessment, and when you see it all in B&W like that (no pun intended), it makes you realise what a stunning window we had. Best i’ve witnessed in my 20 years as a fan.

…but we do of course have to remember, that this team, as a whole is brand spanking new, and whilst players are shining, we ain’t gonna see the best of them as a complete unit, until next season. So until then i’d love more fans to just take the bad with the good, give Pardew a chance to see what he can do with these lads in full flight.

Things are looking pretty great when you take a step back.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Man its slow on here when there is no match at the weekend 🙂