Michael Owen’s Attempt At Newcastle Rivisionist History Fails

We saw Michael Owen’s attempts at rewriting his Newcastle history yesterday, when he said that Newcastle had never offered him a new contract, and had even lied about it, and our advice to him at the time was to keep a diplomatic silence.

michael owen hbnhg

Michael Owen – while at Newcastle

This is what Michael had tweeted about what really happened at Newcastle yesterday:

“Newcastle fans, following my Football Focus interview, plenty of you tweeting me saying you don’t blame me for getting injured but for leaving when we got relegated.”

“Despite the club saying they did, they didn’t ever offer me a new contract despite them putting it in the press that they did. How could they when they had just been relegated? It would have been financial suicide.”

“I’ve seen it a million times, a club will blatantly lie to their fans to take the moral high ground leaving the player with no leg to stand on. I’ve taken the stick for years which is fine but you really don’t know half of it. All will be revealed one day.”

And it seems that day was today.

When we were relegated there was no way we could afford Michael, and the real reason Newcastle fans were and are upset at him was as captain he said nothing for those last five months of the season, and that for £110/week in wages, he couldn’t even make the side in the final crucial games of the season – when he was fit.

After we were relegated and without even uttering a word, his helicopter was seen leaving Newcastle for his home in Chesire – and he was gone – and to a lot of Newcastle fans it’s been good riddance.

Michael has been forced to restate what he rally meant yesterday, as obviously a certain Mr. LLambias has been in touch with him about what really happened.

This is what Michael tweeted today to clarify things – like the truth:

“Just to clarify. My tweet yesterday referred to no contract offer after Newcastle relegation. Which I said was understandable.” “Newcastle did make me an offer to extend in 2008 when Joe Kinnear was manager.”

“Apologies to the club if there has been any confusion.” “I just didn’t want the fans to think I had deserted the club after relegation. I didn’t.”

Michael doesn’t want Newcastle fans think he deserted, but it’s the way he conducted himself when things were down to the wire, and after all he was the captain, that was why Newcastle fans criticized him.

Remember the way then manager Alan Shearer was completely and utterly devastated after the Aston Villa defeat as he seemed in a daze walking aeound the puitch, we never saw that kind of emotion from Michael Owen at Newcastle – ever,

As we said yestreday, sometimes it’s best to keep a diplomatic silence, especially when the real facts are not on your side.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• tooninspain

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Little turd

• Toon-Prodigy

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM

In regards to Owen, I don’t really have a problem with him. The injuries he sustained were not his fault, he was in good shape when he signed. Thats football, and so was the money we were paying him in wages. Not his fault.

Towards the end when we were relegated, everyone was poor that I can remember. That last day at Villa I will never forget. Lacklustre to say the least by everyone involved.

My only beef with Owen was how he applied himself in the latter stages of his career with NUFC. He seemed disinterested, lacklustre, a lack of desire. But the way we were as a club back then I wouldn’t knock anyone for wanting away from us. We were diabolical upstairs and down and god knows how many managers he seen during that time. This was the height of our “soap opera”. It was embarrasing for all involved.

• reccerobbo

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Twat

• carl

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Toon-prodigy
    “It was just an article I came across” You presumably had not come across his material before which I had. If you look at his past material you’ll note that when it comes to Wigan related issues he is not in touch with reality. He is not renowned for telling it as it is. In short he lacks credibility even with Wigan supporters.

• OhSholaAmeobi

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM

he’s an idiot, people were bothered about his lack of effort and shocking performances, and his lack of leadership as an experienced member of the team when we were on the slide. he missed a few sitters in important games (portsmouth springs to mind) as well. not that it turned out badly like, being relegated was the best thing that’s happened to us.

• Brutooon

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM

He is an idiot, i remember during summer he said he dont want to play for championship team and below.

• dcdick

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Michael Owen ………………………………………..Charlatan. !!!!!

• lesh

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:51 AM

dcdick…..

Wee’ s this Charlie Tan? Ha’ wi signed some new gadgy?

• Sav

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I’d like to clarify, Michael drove back to Cheshire in his luxury car. The chopper was just to pick up his bags of loot. And the latest hot-off-the-press delivery of his brochures. What a sad joke. Michael Owen, the precocious striker who gave us the hand-rubbing goal celebration.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:54 AM

I don,t think it really matters whether or not he was offered a contract or not?

The way in which he left after we went down, pissed a lot of people off, he should of made a statement at the time in stead of just walking away!

His mentality and attitude sucked at the time!

• one Tony Green

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM

From the tone of his apology and retraction he must have received a stern letter from NUFC.
    Some players just dont know when to shut their clacker.

• Mark the Mag

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM

For me it was when he prioritised England over NUFC, he was desperate to get back for 2006 world cup, appeared just before end of season, and instead of resting up over the summer to get back fit for the club thats pays his wages, he comes back half fit and gains a further injury that keeps him out for a year. Not liked by a single club he has been at says something about him.