Newcastle In Driver’s Seat For Dutch Defender?


It seems that Newcastle are being linked with at least two center-backs this Sunday, and news in the Sunday Mirror today that Newcastle are interested in Dutch Under-21 ­international Virgil van Dijk, who plays at Groningen.

Virgil-van-Dijk

Virgil van Dijk – on Newcastle’s radar screen for the summer

We were first linked with the 21 year-old a year ago, and he fits the profile of players Newcastle will try to get into the club in the summer, and we may need a center-back if Fab Coloccini leaves in the summer.

Other English clubs said to be interested in the player include Everton, Swansea, Southampton, Reading and even Manchester United.

His club Groningen are allowing the 6’4″ defender to talk to English Premier League clubs, and if the player is on Newcastle’s radar list this summer, you can bet that Newcastle have already been in contract with the 21 year-old.

It’s also thought that Everton and Newcastle are in the lead for the player, and he has been regularly watched by Newcastle scouts over the last twelve months.

Groningen want around £5M for Van Dijk, which is well within Newcastle’s budget, and Virgil at only 21 has already made around 60 appearances for Groningen with 7 goals, after making his debut in April of 2011 against ADO Den Haag – Tim Krul’s former club.

We think this lad would be an excellent signing for Newcastle United – what do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:


You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

5 comments so far

  • Jail for Ashley

    Mar 24, 2013 at 12:50 AM

    Comment #1

    Being dressed up as a giant banana on the back of a pick up truck in Windsor safari park is too good for Ashley.

    0
  • weg

    Mar 24, 2013 at 12:55 AM

    Comment #2

    Much more likely to happen than Lescott. 10 years minimum in him and for a similar price. He’s got a bit of quality about him and it’ll take time to dislodge M’Biwa and Taylor anyway – time that this kid has!

    0
  • sphinxhunter

    Mar 24, 2013 at 2:46 AM

    Comment #3

    We need three quality CBs, to provide competition – no good having two ‘purples’ and only squad / back-ups, as that won’t provide the competitive edge / challenge these players need. If NUFC are to challenge for Champions League, they cannot afford to rely on juniors developing or second tier players to push their stars.

    0
  • geordiesteve520

    Mar 24, 2013 at 8:51 AM

    Comment #4

    I said in January that’d we’d be back I. For this lad. I think his supposed move to Brighton was just to engineer some interest and he rejected because he is ready for a higher level. If we can get him and Mirin I would be happy.

    0
  • Owldman

    Mar 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM

    Comment #5

    I’ve no doubt that we will be linked with what ever players the press pull out of the hat aready being linked with Lescot inspite of the fact that he does not match the criteria we use in our transfer policy.Too old, wages too high etc etc this one is another example of a sports journalist with not enough to write about trying to create a story from nothing.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.