News in the Sunday People today that Manchester City’s England defender Joleon Lescott has been told he is surplus to requirements and can leave in the summer for around £4M.
Joleon Lescott – Newcastle interested?
And the People are reporting that Newcastle, Aston Villa and Everton are interested in the former Everton and Wolves defender.
But we’d be surprised if the news of Newcastle being interested is true, because Jolean turns 31 in August, and Newcastle will likely bring in a younger player to replace captain Fabricio Coloccini, who is likely to leave in the summer, to return to Argentina for family reasons.
Joleon played the whole game in England’s 8-0 win in San Marino on Friday evening in the World Cup qualifying game, and he has 25 England caps and is an experienced and good defender.
QPR were keen to recruit Lescott (and anybody else they could get) in the January window, but City refused to allow the 6’2″ defender to leave in mid-season.
Lescott left Everton in 2009 for £24M to join money bags Manchester City, , but seems prepared to return to Goodison Park, if the Toffees are really interested.
Of course David Moyes, the Everton manager will allow his own contract to run down at Everton, and it’s not clear he will remain at Everton past this season.
As we said earlier, we’d be surprised if Newcastle are really interested in Lescott, who played 185 times with 8 goals for Wolves before moving to Everton in 2006, where he played 143 times with 17 goals.
Joleon has played 121 times for Manchester City with 8 goals, but cannot get his place in the Manchester City starting eleven, and he’s played only 19 time so far this season.
We just cannot see Mike Ashley paying out £4M for a 31 year-old, as his value will only quickly diminish.
What do you think?
You can also reach Ed at firstname.lastname@example.org