Courageous Yohan Cabaye Reveals Personal Problems

It’s sometimes hard for personalities in the public spotlight to talk about having depression, which is often a difficult thing to overcome – and it seems to affect us all – at some point in our lives.

yohan cabaye france - pointing

Yohan Cabaye – in French colors last summer

So we think Yohan Cabaye has shown great courage and openness in coming today and saying how he felt depressed after playing for Newcastle in his first season.

Yohan then went straight to the Euros, where he played brilliantly for France, and then joined up with Newcastle’s pre-season,  and had to start another tough Premier League season again,  with very little rest.

This is what Yohan said in the French Daily L’Equipe today about the problems he had last summer:

“‘Depression? I am not afraid to say that. It was that.” “But I was reassured reading the books of Jonny Wilkinson and Rafael Nadal, who both talked about the same thing. They talked about post competition depression and the need to have a break.” “Euro 2012 was the first big international competition I had played.”

“It is completely different than what you could experience in daily life with your club.” “My season was long in a league where the pace is higher than in Le Championnat.” “I started with Newcastle early in July 2011 and finished late in June 2012 and, for the very first time, I didn’t have any winter break.”

“So then to resume in July 2012, it was very difficult.” “Maybe it is difficult to start again after a big competition such as the Euros, but my body didn’t allow me to do what I wanted to do.” “On a morning when I woke up, I could still feel tiredness. I wanted to think about something else rather than football.”

“I am lucky to earn a living with my passion, but it was the right moment for a break. So my groin injury at the end of the year was finally not such a bad thing. Maybe that is why I was back earlier than expected.” ‘I asked myself a lot of questions. As long as you didn’t experience depression you cannot understand.”

“But I was not worried.” ‘My injury allowed me to have some rest, meet my family and friends in Lille. When I was back in Newcastle in December I knew I felt better.”

We are really impressed with the Frenchman for revealing his personal troubles, when most stars would want to keep quiet about it – so Yohan’s gone up in our estimation as a person.

And Yohan will start for France tonight in their crucial World Cup qualifying game in Paris against World Champions Spain – and since he joined Newcastle United, he has become one of France’s top players.

Somehow we don’t think Yohan Cabaye will be too keen to leave Newcastle United anytime soon, in a place where he is loved both as a great player – and also a good man – who reveals his personal problems to the public.

Good for him.

And to think Yohan could become the Newcastle captain  this summer too – that cannot be bad either.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• G

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Wow, if he did suffer from depression, it really didn’t show on the pitch. Yes his form was blowing a bit hot and cold, but so was every other player for the toon. Brave man for admitting it so publicly. Respect.

• maximan23

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM

with his money and lifestyle i think i would be depressed too…nah seriously depression can be an awful thing and what courage cabs has shown by bringing in the open great man great player and great captain.HWTL

• Alain Pardeaux

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM

It takes a big man to admit to depression, not many people would, I have alot of respect for this guy. We now know why he had a dip of form at the start of the season not because he’d had his head turned like some people said.

• Sack Llambias

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Plus hernia trouble.

• AndrewP

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Depression is a horrible thing and the first stage in dealing with it is accepting it.

For someone with such a high profile to be so honest is a wonderful thing especially for those who will now be prepared to admit that they are suffering and can start to deal with it.

Yohan – you have more than earned my respect as a man not just a footballer.

• obatoyou

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM

One thing I’ve learned in this life, never ever give in to depression, you are NOT ordained, you are special, you are WORTH

• obatoyou

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM

If anyone says different send them to me

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Love this guy 🙂

Also love Cabaye…Man these guys are pulling my heart all over the place. HWTL!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM

oba…What’s your address? I know a few people I’d like to send your way. Completely agree.

• Joe Blog

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Drab, whinging Geordies will do that to ya’, Yohan.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Ha, I misread the title as “GorgeousYohan Cabaye” Equally true, obviously.

Top bloke. Depression is tough to deal with, can’t say I have ever suffered from it, so I can’t even begin to imagine how tough it is for people, but huge respect for talking about it. More people, especially high profile need to so others feel more comfortable talking about it.

• robin

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Pardew, has that affect on people, with his limited team tactics!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Leazes…Sign him up? 🙂

• 89Norcal

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Not sure if exhaustion from playing top class football year round would really constitute as depression…

I like Cabaye but just speaking as a man who has gone through it myself. But maybe it’s a physiological thing linked to extended periods of intense physical activity.

• sweendog

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM

89Morcal .. I reckon maybe hes trying to say the stress of working constantly and making sure you’re top of your game has caused it .. seems to be very common with footballers .. too many highs and lows plays with your head I reckon

• 89Norcal

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM

@sweendog

I suppose it could be all relative to one’s situation.

My own just happened to be on the opposite economic spectrum of Cabaye’s 🙂

• Tsunki

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:04 PM

He’s right about depression though. Its surprising how very few people understand it to the point of continuing to be supportive when it doesn’t just go away. Eventually most people succumb to the ‘pull yourself together’ mentality, even if they don’t mean to. I sympathise with the lad, lots of money is no cure for it either.

• sweendog

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM

89Norcal .. glad to hear you got through it .. thing is its surprising how common it is especially when you get older .. 25+

• NUFC 1892

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM

DONT SELL CABAYE !!!!!

• papscrunt

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Everything about this man oozes class. I’ve argued with family members about depression with sports stars. Even though they are highly paid. Lots of them leave family and friends when they are children. Top top man.