The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

England Draw in Montenegro – France Lose 1-0 To Spain

10:13 pm, Tuesday, March 26th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 31 Comments

After England had completely dominated the first half tonight in Montenegro, and Wayne Rooney hit the post and then scored in the sixth minute, an excellent comeback by Montenegro in the second half, when the roles were almost reversed, had the home side equalizing after 75 minutes through substitute Damjanovic, and the game ended up all square, and England are still 2 points behind Montenegro in Group H.

yne ronney heads first goal montenegro

Wayne Rooney – heads England ahead after just six minutes

We thought England manager Roy Hodgson would make some changes in the second half before Montenegro equalized, as the pressure was mounting and the home side hit the bar before getting their equalizer.

England faded badly in the second half, and a belated substitution of Young for Cleverley was made immediately after the Montenegro goal, and although captain Steven Gerrard twice went close near the end, it was not to be and a draw was probably a fair result in a game of two halves.

montenegro goal

Damjanovic scrambles home the equalizer on 75 minutes

Montenegro continue to lead Group H with 14 points from 6 games with England second on 12 points, and we still have to play Montenegro at Wembley.

And Yohan Cabaye played for 70 minutes before being replaced by Jeremy Menez, in France’s 1-0 loss to World Champions Spain in Paris, with Moussa Sissoko coming on after 82 minutes, and Pedro got the winner on 58 minutes.

Paul Pogba, the former Manchester United player, was sent off after 78 minutes when he picked up his second yellow card of the game.

Spain now top Group I after five games with 11 points, which is one point more than France in second place.

In other games tonight Scotland lost 2-0 in Serbia, Wales lost 2-1 to Croatia at home after going ahead through a Gareth Bale penalty on 21 minutes, but Croatia came back with two late goals to win the game.

Northern Ireland lost 2-0 at home to Israel, and Shane Ferguson played for 73 minutes before being substituted, and Ireland drew 2-2 with Austria in Dublin.

As far as we can tell there were no injuries of any Newcastle players.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: International News · Newcastle News · World Cup 2014

31 responses so far ↓

• 1 toonLYF // Mar 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Very entertaining match between France and Spain tonight. France are looking better and better every time i watch them; although they need to address some defensive issues/selections, particular in the full-back area’s as Evra clearly isn’t good enough, and Jallet is also pretty suspect, albeit he is only backup to Debuchy. They have some amazing young defenders who they should start giving some playing time, such as Corchia and Digne. Also there is no way Koscielny is better or even as good as Mbiwa or Sakho.

…but they’re looking slicker everytime i see them, and they are a terrifically well balanced side, with extremely good wide men in Valbuena and Ribery.

Through the middle they look to have very good options, and young Pogba impressed me until his sending off tonight, playing in that holding role. Matuidi has really stepped his game up this last year or so, and is making that ball winning midfielder role his, keeping out stiff competition from Sissoko, M’vila, Mavuba (when fit) and Capoue, and deservedly so. Cabaye is still the most vital man in the middle for them i think, and it was good to see him playing a bit further forward for France tonight, as he’s usually in the deep lying playmaker role and whilst he has had some superb games there for them, he was getting into great positions tonight, and made some quality passes. The game completely changed when he went off, in a negative way.

Spain also stepped up to it tonight and looked better than they have the last few times i’ve watched them. Particularly impressed with Monreal and as always, Iniesta.

Good game, France unlucky not to get something. I think 1-1 would’ve told the story a bit more accurately.

• 2 Tinman // Mar 26, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Woy Hodgson is an appalling manager. Can not beleive he is Englands manager! What a tool.

Negative starting XI.
    2nd half the whole of England would have made a sub, except Woy!

P.S
    Thank god Roy Keane is a pundit for ITV. I usually dont like the bloke, but at least he speaks his mind! Those 3 other morons on there were about to try and make the fans beleive that was an OK result. Pathetic.

Woy Hodgson, I thought we hang on well… hung on against Montenegro?!!? Har fcking har

• 3 Toon Tang // Mar 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM

very true tinman, shouldnt be hanging on against dregs like montenegro. cant see us winning nowt with a display like that.

• 4 Tinman // Mar 26, 2013 at 10:27 PM

toonLYF, wish I watched that game instead. Would have been much more interesting than the trash that was Montnegro v England.

France have an abundance of talent, it is very difficult for any of their players to get in that team. The managers main decision is choosing which players have the greatest Chemistry. Thats why I wouldnt be surprised to see, Debuchy, Mbiwa, Cabaye all playing in the future as they all play for us week in week out. Its also very possible Ben Arfa and Sissoko could also fit in, although as you said, France are very strong in their positions.

• 5 toonLYF // Mar 26, 2013 at 10:37 PM

tinman, i stopped watching England years ago mate.

Cabaye and Debuchy are already consistent first team players for them, Mbiwa should be given more a chance imo, they have some excellent young centre-backs in Varane, Mapou and Sahko, so it would be good to see them beginning to form some partnerships. However it is understandable that a team does need some experience at the back, which is why i think Deschamps plays Koscielny or Mexes over one of the youngsters mentioned.

…as you say mate, it says alot when two of our most talented players in Sissoko and Ben Arfa will struggle to get into the starting XI.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Mar 26, 2013 at 10:44 PM

It’s strange how all those former Yogoslavian teams seem do to ok, you would have thought putting them all together and you would have a set of world beaters, evidently not !

• 7 martoon // Mar 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Tinman – a little harsh – Montenegro are no mugs and a lot of their players play in European leagues to a pretty good standard. It was an away match in a hostile atmosphere so not the worst result in the world – you can’t expect to slaughter every team. I would agree about the substitutions – he should have made some earlier.

• 8 Toon-Prodigy // Mar 26, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Bring back the premiership.. Quickly!

What an awful and long winded week and a half being a Toon fan.

• 9 Black and White Blood // Mar 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Agree with all comments about the French national team but why has nobody mentioned Benzema? He was god awful tonight and has been for some time. Not in good form and… who else do they play? Giroud? France’s problem is up top. Evra also needs to be replaced.

• 10 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 27, 2013 at 12:28 AM

@ Black & White

I would probably say Remy is their best bet

• 11 lesh // Mar 27, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Hodgson out! Well, it makes a change from seeing Pards’ name so often.

• 12 toonLYF // Mar 27, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Gameiro should be given a little run of games in the France team. His attributes go well with their style of play in my opinion. Benzema is still a fantastic forward though, overall.

• 13 beefman13 // Mar 27, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Watching England reminded me of watching the toon, we went one up and sat back and got behind the ball and made them look better then they are even though they are not that bad, it was like watching a toon game plus after they equalised England then came back in to it and finished quite strongly.

I have to admit though I find it punishing watching England nowadays even more than before and that is saying something, I think I will wait until we QUALIFY FOR THE WORLD CUP IF WE DO THAT IS TO WATCH ANYMORE.

WITH WOY ITS THE SAME OLD ENGLAND AND THE BETTER TEAMS ALWAYS KNOW HOW WE ARE GOING TO PLAY SIMPLE AS, AND UNTIL; WE CHANGE IT WE WONT WIN OWT.

• 14 Thump // Mar 27, 2013 at 1:37 AM

People are actually surprised by England not winning?

Hahahahaha oh wow

• 15 lesh // Mar 27, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Ah ah! I wonder if hattem’s put on weight as a result of too many lunches with his lawyers, too many Greggs bakes perhaps?

• 16 lesh // Mar 27, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Don’t say that the club doesn’t think about the fans.

Oh what joy, pre-match cocktails.

• 17 Lilongwe Geordie // Mar 27, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Rotonda, From Previous.

Hopefully you will see this, but I appreciate that it is early over in the UK.

Sage summed up my views pretty well. Technically, as I said, you can’t argue with the ability of the players. but that doesn’t make it great to watch with Barca/Spain.

I don’t want to see hoofball, but watching teams that like to pass the ball about, and attack with pace rather than pass the ball about until the opposition leave a gap is much better entertainment. Madrid are much more exciting to watch, both of them. Fortunately for Barca they have Messi, who once in the final third can make magic with the ball. The national team are less fortunate.

The Spanish national team, with their false number 9 are anything but exciting to watch. Again, the players are technically excellent, can’t take that away from them. But it isn’t exciting to watch. The match in the group stages against Croatia was probably one of the worst games at the tournament.

I’m not knocking the fact they are excellent players, they are some of the best in the world, and one or two who could be classed with the greatest ever players. But that doesn’t make it exciting in my opinion. Each to their own though.

• 18 Lilongwe Geordie // Mar 27, 2013 at 6:41 AM

On England, couldn’t give a monkeys how they do. Saylor ups my interest slightly but as I haven’t seen his name mentioned I assume that is because he didn’t feature. Sad for him, but I’m more happy that he didn’t pick up a knock.

Also, why was Rio getting dog’s abuse? England failed to back him last summer, and if it isn’t in the interests of his health, and his employers then why should he go? NUFC fans know best of all about a player putting their fitness for country ahead of fitness for club…..

• 19 carl // Mar 27, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Tsunki
    Good series of engaging posts yesterday, on the invasion of the blog by the deemed less worthy. A theme worth a full read through in my daily up date. Aside from the ranters, tedious repeaters etc I find the dishonest use of apparent mild put downs worthy of being bracketed in a like mode. Calling a poster a tool is referring to them as a cretin to the educated amongst us. The dilemma is whether it was intentional or just ignorance on the part of the poster. And does it really matter?
    Personally I would go for recommending leaving well alone. Particularly when the level of debate can be raised.

• 20 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 27, 2013 at 8:05 AM

What do people think about Mauro Zarate? He is trying to get his contract cancelled at Lazio.

…would he be worth the while? he might be a bit of a troublemaker but one cannot argue with his abillity!

• 21 bills-son // Mar 27, 2013 at 8:10 AM

England have to be one of the most boring teams to watch. Take Rooney’s flashes of brilliance out and we are a side full of extremely average international players who consistently underperform.

Roy Hodgson – decent bloke that he is – is the perfect match for this squad of bores.

• 22 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 27, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Morning all, on a scale of 1-10 how happy are we that the international break is over? Me? I’d say about 15.

Bring on City!

• 23 Rotonda heights // Mar 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Sage

Only thing to do is become a Barca fan and adopt them as your second team as I don’t think we’ll be dominating teams for you to get bored of any time soon!!

Barca were great way before Messi came on the scene. Just look at their history. It’s always been Fantasy football.

I like clever intelligent passing and moving ” total football ” and unlike Pardew who has nothing to base it on to say it, no one can say that Barca and Spain aren’t winners.

I love all our great new players but I just wish Pardew would let them off the leash or at least get someone in to work on attacking and let the opposition worry more about us rather than just offering containment and sitting on 1-0 leads if we get them.

Even with all our new players we are still hovering dangerously close to the bottom. Pointless hoping for another available manager I know but I just wish Pardew would lose the fear. Sissoko, Cabaye, Debuchy, M’Biwa, Benny etc. Not many managers get to have half a major national team to select.

• 24 Rotonda heights // Mar 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Jesper

Yes good player and maybe Argentinian connection could work

• 25 Rotonda heights // Mar 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Sorry been out of the loop a bit lately, but is Ian toon / Carl / Pushy Pardew all one and the same? Not having a pop just genuinely wondering.

• 26 Transfer Sage // Mar 27, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Rotonda

I think Barca were better to watch before guardiola as they played a bit more like Madrid, the passing was more forward (not as ruthlessly effective) but made a better spectacle.

I’m not too bothered on the style, I think play to your strengths. If you have a lot of big tall lads use them, stoke do this well. It’s the best style for their players.

Our problem is we don’t use our type of players properly, some nice passing moves but still too many long balls straight up the middle. If we want to go long it has to be into channels to give cisse a chance to run through or one of the wide men…no good just standing it up in the air as we don’t have those players.

I think things are improving though, just is like to see it at a faster rate and currently not sure how far things will improve long term.

For me it’s same as I said a few months ago, give pardew next year, after a full ore season and hopefully a couple new faces see what he can get out of this team and if after that time he isn’t doing it, look elsewhere. I think it’s fair enugh

• 27 TorqToon // Mar 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Morning gents.

Was a solid game last night for France. Cabaye simply oozes class. Standout player for me last night was (and has been for their last few outings) Valbuena. He is truly world class that lad.

As nice as being there last night was, I’m so glad the international break is over! Get our lads back, trained and pumped ready for citeh!!

• 28 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 27, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Rotonda…That has been a theory thrown around here for quite some time. It did reach new heights of late and I think, although not convinced, it has been decided just to let it be…we shall see.

• 29 saxonfenken // Mar 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Same old Story, play for man U and get in the England Team.
    Cleverley, Wellbeck,, Youngs, Smalling, Carrick, none of them good enough to play international football. Even Rooney after a good start was rubbish.

• 30 arctoa // Mar 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM

My indifference towards the English national side knows no bounds. When the international breaks kick in I tend to take an interest in what’s going on with local teams further down the league system. It’s not looking too good for anyone!

The only time I take an interest in international football is for the major tournaments; it’s nice having such a feast of games when you’re a neutral.

As for Barça, they’ve been my second team ever since we beat them 3-2 in the 1990s. I’ve still got that match recorded on VHS somewhere… on a pink videotape, if I remember rightly!

• 31 Owldman // Mar 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Apart from the corner what else did Gerrard contribute to the team & as for Clevelley he should watch his team mate Carrick & get a lesson in how to get the ball under control quickly.& how the hell is Smalling even in the England squad puzzles me.

previous post: Moussa Sissoko – I Miss Too Many Opportunities – I Rush It