Next Five Games Crucial For Newcastle’s Season

After being beaten by third bottom Wigan Athletic last time out,  the next three league games are very important for Newcastle United, and in between those league games, we also have the two Europa League games against Benfica.

Jonas Gutierrez +Chelsea+

Jonas Gutierrez – happy if we can get in top 10

We play at Manchester City on Saturday afternoon, and then we go into two games a week, as we start the two Benfica games on the following Thursday, and Newcastle have two home games against Fulham and Sunderland in successive Sundays, following the games in Europe.

And we need to get 6 points from those three games to ensure we’ll be safe in the Premier League.

It will be difficult if do well and progress in the Europa League, if we keep losing our league games, and we cannot allow that to happen.

Of course if we can also start putting a string of wins together, we could advance in the Europa League and also start moving up the Premier League table – which has to be the goal.

Newcastle are now 13th in the league table, and it would be good to get a point at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday, and a win would be fantastic and make up for the disappointment at Wigan.

This is what Jonas Gutierrez said today in the local papers:

“It’s been a good thing.” “In the last few games we’ve had a lot of injuries. We want some of the squad back now.”“We’ve had a two-week break, which is good because we have a lot of important games coming up.”

“What has been good is that we have been able to breathe easier because we have put some distance between us and the bottom places.” “It’s good to focus and be able to look up the table the other way.”

“We hope that we can do the right thing and get the four or five wins we’d like and do well in the Europa League too.” “If we can go through in that – and finish in the top 10 – we’d be happy.”

“All of the teams in the Premier League are difficult.” “We saw in the last game against Wigan. They were bottom three, but they played a great game.” “We deserved something out of it but we got beat.”

“Maybe in the next game we’ll deserve to lose and take three points, that’s football.” “If we concentrate for 90 minutes, we should get something.”

The best we could do in the next three league games is to win our two games at home, and pick up a point at the Etihad Stadium – and somehow get through the two-legged tie against Benfica.

But maybe I’m underestimating our side – and maybe can get three wins in the league and also somehow qualify for the last four of the Europa League, – and if we can do that we’ll be flying high – very high.

But there’s no doubt that our next five games will make or break our season.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Rainrix

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM

1st?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Party time?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Re-post…

Spoof…I can see you’re thinking, but anyone rested against City would be more likely to play against Benefica on the 4th, don’t you think?

All of our remaining games are huge, but the next 5 (3 PL and 2 EL) are going to be hugely important.

I’d really like us to have the PL secured before our last few games, hopefully we can then concentrate on getting us into the final of the EL….scary that we’re that close, never would have thought it with the way this season has gone. Would be typical Newcastle to have a season everyone wants to forget and then to actually win something. Actually, that sentence doesn’t hold up – Typical Newcastle / Winning something…hmmm…still, there’s always an opportunity to break the trend.

• Bambams

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Six points are needed imo I just hope the Europa league does not affect the clubs focus

• Rainrix

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Already ordered the brass band and bikini girls. Admittedly they’d freeze to death here but its a small price to pay 🙂

• Spoof

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

From previous post
    Lilongwe Geordie, its some thing which was mentioned yesterday

you just never know

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Rainrix…I’m sure we’ll find a way to warm them up for doing such a good job.

Bambams…6 points in the next 3 PL games or in our remaining fixtures?

• Bambams

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Could you imagine how we would party if we won the Europa !

Actually does anyone know the date of the final ? Might as well book a days leave in advance in the hope.

• Rainrix

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Ibiza… A nice glass of coco and an episode of chris barries age of steam?

Also as an arsenal fan all of your football comments are automatically invalid but thanks for trying!

But seriously though if we can get anything out of city i think that’ll boost confidence and set us up nicely for the next 4 games. Fulhams a doable game as is sunderland provided they dont raise their game to much (unlikely 🙂 ).

• Bambams

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM

15.05.13 according to web.

Is this correct fellas?

• Spoof

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Ibiza, your probably right, but some of them like Santon and Cabaye may have to play in every game, and with both recovering from slight knocks it could be an idea, not so much Debuchy as he can’t play against Benfica anyway
    Your right, that sentence doesn’t hold up, but strangely enough if does make perfect sense, now that doesn’t hold up either does it, must be contagious

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Spoof,
    Surely it can’t be done for next season? All the workings on which positions get into Europe are done at the start of the season, it would be incredibly unfair to change the rules at the halfway stage. Having said the unfair bit though, it is highly unlikely that Platini, and Uefa would change it if they thought it would benefit an English club this year.

In principal, and for next year, I would say 100% that it is the way forward, just like I don’t think teams in 4th should be in the “Champions” League. At the end of the day, UEFA will do what is financially best for them!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Bambams…I can see a festive atmosphere with lots of tea and cupcakes if we win 🙂 15th May sounds about right, but not 100% sure.

Rainrix…Coco would be a good start. I’m going to regret being honest about my misspent youth aren’t I?

• Rainrix

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Bambas… I remember its suppose to be mid may so thats probably right.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Spoof….Pardew certainly has to earn his money these coming weeks.

Must be contagious, but I suppose nothing with regards to Newcastle makes much sense…so we may be on to something?!?

Lilongwe….I can’t see it happening this season either, as you say, they never change the course of action mid-season, but I do think it is a sensible thing to do. CL clubs drop in to the EL, so why shouldn’t the winners get promoted?

• Rainrix

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM

ibiza… The rabble might forgive you i won’t, the north remembers 🙂

Seriously though how did you see the light? Was it something along the lines of a clockwork orange? Your eyes got held open as you were blasted with images of arsene wenger in a corset? 😉

• Bambams

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Boys that would be a Wednesday night according to my pattern. ….. sore heads for those at work the next day !

• Rainrix

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Also sorry if you already mentioned it, i just saw you saying you were an arsenal fan and i went red with anger and couldn’t see anything after that 🙂

• Rainrix

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Bambams…. Yup in amsterdam as well, might as well just write off the rest of the week! 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Rainrix… 🙂 Nothing like that. It was after the charity shield game against Man U when we lost 4-0 in 1996 (I guess watching that was a bit clock work orange esque….) I was absolutely gutted for Newcastle and I realised if I was that bothered I must be a mag – It’s in my blood and I haven’t looked back since

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Yeah yeah, you’re just making me pay 🙂

• JackButler

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Outside chance of champions league football through the europa cup and and a chance of relegation………..only at NUFC

• Rainrix

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Ibiza… So you started supporting newcastle out of pity? Sounds about right, welcome back to the fold! 🙂

• Bambams

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:38 AM

@Rainrix…..

Been thinking about one of those ferry breaks to Amsterdam. … Even if I cant get a ticket for the match the atmosphere would be top….Bloody hell getting a bit ahead of myself here 😉

• Rainrix

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Ibiza… Well if i ever disagree with you, which never happens anyway but if i do no doubt i’ll be playing the arsenal card, just as a heads up there 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM

What a way to sign off a pretty drab season winning the Europa League would be. Can’t help but feel that we are getting carried away!!

It would be more like Newcastle to need to win/draw with Arsenal to stay up and get to the Europa final and put in our worst performance of the season! I miss FA cup finals….

Ah, sod it, let’s get carried away!! Europa League winners!! Champions league here we come!

• Rainrix

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Bambams… Reign yourself in lad, its people like you that give us a bad name 🙂 . But that would be amazing i imagine amsterdam would start to look like the bigg market if we did get through 🙂

• Bambams

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM

@Rainrix
    Its in the bag fella….Positive thinking !

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Rainrix…Nothing like a bit of blog black mail 🙂 Guess I’ll have to agree with you from this point on…*sigh*

• Spoof

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM

LG, the idea is for it to happen this season, as daft as that sounds, but thats the plan, I don’t agree with it to be honest, it would be great for us this season if we benefitted, but that doesn’t make it right, we could be playing CL football, but we could also be in the Championship, to me thats just wrong, but that’s EUFA for you.

• Rainrix

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Bambams…. Ah sorry forgot i was a newcastle fan, i’ll just get a flight booked up now 🙂

Ibiza…. You do anyway, just if i ever feel your getting a bit big in your boots i’ll be there 😉

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Rainirx…I appreciate that. Always got my back.

• Bambams

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Am I missing something here, if a club wins the Europa they play in the CL next season. I remember a few blogs ago there were a few suggestions this would be a good idea but has this been confirmed ?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Spoof,

I agree incredible if WE benefitted, wouldn’t be so keen if Spuds or Chelsea did though! And which poor team is going to miss out on the windfall of a qualifying round to accommodate the winners!

I can’t see it happening for this season. It is definitely the way forward, and adds a bit more spice and reward to what has essentially been a pointless competition for most English teams since its inception.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Bambams,
    No confirmation yet.

On a different point, does anyone think Adkins can save Reading, or can we all agree they are for the drop? I think he is a definite upgrade on McDermott, and quite probably on a lot of other lower prem managers, but I think they are too far in and don’t possess enough quality.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM

It is a horrible situation when you are so close to a major trophy but equally close to the Championship. I kind of feel for Pardew as he has to find the correct balance between the teams he fields and will no doubt get hate for some of his decisions.

I know he will want Premier League survival over the Europa league every day of the week and I would to especially with the potential of the squad we have put together and the so called “3 purple’s” to come in the summer.

It would break my heart to see this side go down,
    (even more so than the side in 08)
    and see the likes of Cabaye, HBA & Sissoko be picked at by other teams like vultures. However I think we will be safe and next season could be one of the best in a long time. HWTL 🙂

• Spoof

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM

LG, I can see the positives, and I do think the Europa league needs spiced up, but I’m not sure if this is the way to do it, don’t ask me what is mind as I have no idea, but not this, it could become a mockery

• Jamiemac

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Jonas = Top professional

Someone kids should look up to.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Spoof,
    Not sure what else they can do really. The only other option is to substantially increase the prize money on offer so it is closer to the Champions league. I think the fact teams who come third in their group, or get knocked out prior to group stages in the Champions League get a spot in the Europa is more of a mockery of the competition.

• Owldman

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Seems as though we’ve been in this position most of the season, each game is a must win or we must get a result, of course our league survival is vital even at the expense of the Euro League.The worrying thing now is the players we away on internationl duty hope none of them dont come back injured.