Moussa Sissoko – I Miss Too Many Opportunities – I Rush It

One way you can tell if a player really wants to improve his game is whether he’s honest and straight forward with himself about his game, and certainly Moussa Sissoko seems to know both his strengths and weaknesses, and he certainly wants to improve as a footballer – and we expect he will – big time – at Newcastle United over the next couple of years.

moussa sissoko scores chelsea

Moussa Sissoko – one powerful player

Moussa Sissoko has been little short of a revelation since he arrived on Tyneside from Toulouse for a measly £1.8M in January, and he is already a huge favorite with the Newcastle fans , and in 11 appearances so far for Newcastle, he has three goals and four assists – and that’s not too bad at all.

Moussa has already won the Premier League Player of the Month award, and while he ‘s definitely not the finished article yet, he still looks an excellent player who is tailor-made for the Premier League.

There’s no better sight than to see Moussa get the ball, say on the left wing, and then power away from the opposing players, who find it hard to keep up with the Frenchman, such is his speed and power.

Sissoko has been given a fairly free role in the Newcastle team under Alan Pardew, and while he played defensive midfield a lot at Toulouse, the Newcastle manager has used him as an attacking midfielder during his time at Newcastle.

This is what Moussa said as he weighed up what he sees as his strengths and his weaknesses at the moment:

“The main thing I lack is that I miss too many opportunities, I spoil it, I rush it.” “I was criticized for that at Toulouse, and there are also the critics at Newcastle. I score quite rarely considering the opportunities I get.”

“I just have to take my time and be more accurate, be less powerful.” “The day before playing the friendly against Germany in early February, French team coach Didier Deschamps teased me about the number 10 position I have in Newcastle, telling me I should not expect to play just behind Karim Benzema.”

“I don’t consider myself as a play-maker, but at Newcastle, I bring my speed in the gaps.” “Will I play on Tuesday against Spain? I like to play in the center as at Newcastle or a bit more in defense – but I won’t ask for anything. If I have to play on the right, that would be great.”

We expect Sissoko to start the game tonight for France against Spain in Paris in World Cup qualifying, and we also think that Newcastle central midfielder Yohan Cabaye will also be in the starting eleven for France, and a win will see them move 5 points ahead of the reigning World Champions in their Group I.

It’s going to be some game – that’s for sure.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• 89Norcal

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Deschamps actually had the nerve to joke about Sissoko’s central attacking role at Newcastle. That square headed t*** really is a piece of work. Only he could hate the prospect of a powerful attacking imdfielder for the sake of ripping NUFC a bit.

• Tsunki

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Barney Rubble is a right prat mind, still I suppose its in the managerial job spec.

‘There are crtics at Newcastle’? – he must get on this blog then. Mind, if he thinks he gets stick he should try being Obertan for a week ha ha.

• Ben_BKK

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM

When did he get Player of the Month?? I don’t remember hearing anything about that! Probably cause it’s one of our lot. When it was Le Fondre there was loads about it, but I haven’t seen anything about Moussa getting the award!

• Tsunki

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM

We’ve only seen glimpses of his running so far, I feel some epic matches coming when we see him striding diagonally across the pitch and ripping the best midfields in the league in two. He will get better, and as mentioned before, we haven’t had too much of Debuchy with Benny just in front to add to that.

• Sack Llambias

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Ben
    Hello anyone their! Moussa won the NUFC February player of the month award. Voted by NUFC fans.

• Ben_BKK

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Ah right, that explains it. Even Skysports got it wrong lol:

“The Frenchman arrived at St James’ Park from Toulouse in January, and has already collected a Premier League Player of the Month trophy after making a huge impact, which has seen him score three league goals in seven games.” (http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/8599189/Newcastle-midfielder-Moussa-Sissoko-says-he-still-has-a-lot-of-improvement-left)

I looked it up and Gareth Bale was the Prem player of the month for February. Don’t know how they got that wrong.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I know I’m a bit late on this (been busy), but I’m bloody disgusted at the views of some of the so called football fans on this forum regarding the Wigan Cosmos debacle. There were several shockingly arrogant posts by some people who seem to believe that the rights of fans and players to play a Sunday League match in peace are somehow nothing compared to the rights of Newcastle United fans to get pissed up and cause havoc on the way to watch their own club play.

It’s embarrassing to be a Newcastle fan and a football fan when complete dicks like these people post their idiotic views like that in a public forum. I’d like to think that some of them are just mackem WUMs, but some of the names are regular posters.

If I didn’t support the same club as these idiots, I’d be hoping that a large group of Real Madrid fans come along to trash our stadium and disrupt one of our matches, using the excuse that ‘it’s only a mid-table Premier League team, we were on the way to play Man Utd in the Champions League…much more important.’

Ed – please introduce a rating and post blocking system so these idiots can be easily ignored by those of us who want to see constructive discussion related to our club.

• Super Magpie

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Sissoko won NUFC player of the month.
    Bale won the PL award.

Sissoko’s went abit off the boil in recent weeks which is expected. He wasn’t going to continue that run of form forever. It’s good to see that he’s admitted that himself though and he realises the things that he does wrong and wants to improve on them. He will only improve for us.

• veto

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM

what defines a number 10 these days ?

it’s not what deschamps and co would have considered it tobe , dont need tobe the most creative of players to sit infrot of the midfield these days , the pace and power , ablity to break quick and hold it can be just as lethal weapons there .
    plus he doesnt have to bad an eye for a cute pass or two .
    also think we should move santon forward onto the wing , cracking defender i just think the kid has abit more in his locker that will start to shine with experience and age

• Alan Pas-de-clue

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM

the prospect of an attcking starting XI at home when all fit such as

krul
    debuchy taylor mbiwa santon
    cabaye sissoko
    HBA marv Gouffran
    Cisse

WAAAH

• Alan_Pard_Who

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:50 PM

As long as Pardew is in charge we will continue to see our best players played in odd positions and structurally weak formations.

Surely there can’t be only me that thinks we might go down this season still?

Injuries, out of form players and a clueless manager.

I just hope the other teams don’t pick up more than 5 points as I think that’s all we’ll get.

• Tsunki

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Spreading little rays of sunshine alan_pard_who? Everyone warms to thje eternal optimist. Really though, and its no recommendation of our team or manager, don’t you think in all honesty there are at least 4 teams who are destined to fare even more badly than us? QPR, Reading and any from Villa and Wigan, not to mention.the mackems who have a chronic run-in and no form at all ha ha. I can’t see us bottoming out under that lot.

• Tsunki

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Oj and to answer your question – No. Not just you. Robin too.

• Tsunki

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM

*oh

• Super Magpie

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM

It would be ludicrous to say we are safe because we are not.
    But, it’s unlikely we’ll go down. We’re winning games, and the ones we’re losing we’ve been unlucky. ( We deserved 5 points out of Spurs, Swansea and Wigan IMO)

I can’t see us getting anything this weekend but Fulham and Sunderland are must wins. They will see us to safety.
    Speaking of those lot down the road, they are in trouble. Fletchers out for 6 weeks and nobody else scores for them.
    Their gloating in January has came back to bite them in the arse. 😆

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Actually, while I’m at it…it would be great if a new blog template were used so we could:
    1 – rate posts up and down
    2 – have a post or poster blocked for extreme negative posts
    3 – allow people to reply to some posts to create a thread from interesting topics people started and make it easier to find the replies

• Tsunki

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Super mag – if as I suspect the mackems are going down that virtually saves us imo. Decent consolation for a crap season all in all.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Lilongwe Geordie (from a previous thread)

I think you would probably need psychological testing if you think Spain and Barca are dull to watch. Barcelona is football form another planet. Quick, skilful, clever, intelligent passing and moving football at pace, it’s an absolutely fantastic spectacle.

I guess some people strangely want to see the ball hoofed forward early at every opportunity but 99% of aerial balls are just headed away by CH’s facing away from their own goal.

If we played like Barca and with some of the players we have we now could, it’d be a hell of a better watch than the usual one shot on goal in 90 mins.

• Sack Llambias

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:22 PM

TDS
    The most dangerous moments in our democracy come when all parties
    agree. Consensus means no proper scrutiny and glaring flaws go unnoticed. Worse , it would solve none of the issues that have so dogged this blog in recent times. By invoking the most egregious examples of intrusion you could well be limiting the more zany, interesting and those with a different point of view.
    Ibizatoon- Back By Popular Demand. Is right there’s a place for everyone . Your idea of an idiot is someone else’s idea of someone with a lively personality. As you say your late in raising this which suggests you’ve thought it through!. Many a toon army follower has saught to help the feral youths who follow the club and change comes best from within and not by ostracising the largely young fans who let the club down. I don’t want a sanitised blog and were already full up with boring posters.

• IITianToon

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:25 PM

@Toon Darn Sarf I don’t think 1 is a good idea. The blog is a place where us NUFC fans give their opinion. What is to be achieved by having a ‘like’ system. The blog might turn into posts which are aimed at getting more likes rather than a true reflection of your opinion.
    I am not too fussed about appearance of trolls really. Give them a sarcastic reply or plain ignore them. Why do you even need to give them a reply?

• santonthenewmaldini

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM

He has been a revelation down there as Birmingham are just giving him the ball and let him swing it in something that we never really done when he was in the team but I think he the boy has quality and he can come back here eventually and make an impact send him out on loan next year as well

• IITianToon

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:30 PM

And guys I am a bit surprised to see this has not been discussed in more detail. How GOOD was Santon when pushed onto the wing in the last quarter of the game! His ability to dribble both inside and outside gives defenders headache as to whcih side they show him; result of which was he feinted on the inside, took a slight step right; and bam a cute finish drilled into the bottom corner. I was REALLY excited and surprised to see the effectiveness which this push up the field brought in him.
    Hope Pards does not forget this cameo in the future! Just because he has played LB for so long doesn’t mean he can’t be played up the field!

• Tsunki

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:30 PM

ToonDS – yep the loons were in the ascendency the other day all right. I like your ideas but on point 2 that could actually be done to a couple who post unqualified negativity. That would cut out the trolls and mackems. On point 1 though, I better get me coat. 🙂

• Tsunki

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Sorry Sack Llambias but your post sounds worthy but is heavy with the musk of political correctness. Sure, breadth of opinion is sacred but not the constant berating of an unworthy and thankfully tiny minority who would not be missed if expunged, simply because they are in fact the boring posters you speak of. There may be a fine line between censorship and freedom of speech but there is a line, and the sentient majority have every right to protect themselves from the inflammatory dross who drag this place down.

An alternative view.

• Super Magpie

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Tsunki
    As funny as it would be to see them go down again, I’d like them to stay up as it means we get to get to play them. It’s good to have the derby and to have a rivalry between each other.

I think they’ll stay up by the skin of their teeth and we’ll beat them 4-2 in the derby. 🙂

• hatemorloveit

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Guys, i have not been supporting newcastle that long. But can someone please explain to me why newcastle fans dislike micheal owen as i dont understand.

• Super Magpie

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM

TDS
    So you mean a forum like layout?
    I don’t agree with 1 for the same reason same reason @20 said.

One feature I would like added is post counts.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Sack Lambias – I enjoy the variety of life, but I don’t understand how anyone can seek to justify 200-250 men descending on a Sunday league team, damaging the facilities, stealing the match ball, no doubt intimidating some of the players and fans, and causing the match to be stopped for 40 minutes. There’s just no way to condone that sort of behaviour. Sure, it isn’t exactly murder or rape, but it doesn’t stop it from being wrong. They weren’t choosing a forum to protest against a perceived evil, they were drunken fools disrupting a game of football purely for their own enjoyment.

I can understand your point about helping some of these young people who are a bit “feral”, but it doesn’t stop me from being disgusted by their behaviour. Good to see most people on the blog taking a decent standpoint though.

I’d just like to see a way of highlighting the negative posts, that’s just another way of letting the posters know that the majority of fans don’t side with their opinion.

• Marty-Toon

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Sissoko must be one of the signings of the season,and for that price tag we’re laughing all the way.
    Absolutely brilliant power house of a player
    But I think we’ll need to give our top players a better wage especially if we’ve got them in cheaply.
    This will possibly keep them on tyneside a few extra years so we can build a proper challenging team.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM

IITianToon – the idea of voting posts just makes it easier to see the most/least popular posts on the forum. There must be 5 or 6 forums a day and many people can’t keep up with all of them, so a snapshot would make it easier.

When I scroll down the forum to see some interesting opinions, I do waste a lot of time reading rubbish.

I get your point about people posting things just to get lots of likes, but at least that would give people an idea of what was popular. Is that so bad? Nothing forcing other people to just read those posts if they don’t want to.

• Super Magpie

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM

@26
    He didn’t try his hardest when he played. He leeched £110,000 a week from us and was a shambolic captain. He never had the desire to do well and cared about his horses more than his career. He had to get a helicopter up here from Cheshire every day for training and refused to actually move up here which showed his intentions from day 1.

He was nowhere to be seen during the relegation season and basically didn’t give a f*ck as long as he got paid his money.

• nick_9

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Oh no some Newcastle fans misbehaved so now the whole world will tarnish us all with the same brush, in so embarrassed to be a Newcastle fan right now.

Bore off. If anyone is stupid enough to tar all us fans together the they aren’t worth talking to. We have over 50,000 fans so the action of a few hundred doesn’t leave me embarrassed to be a Newcastle fan. Drama queens

• Super Magpie

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM

@26

He was nowhere to be seen during the relegation season and basically didn’t give a f**k as long as he got paid his wedge.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Tsunki – I reckon that sometimes it’s just as interesting looking at the overly negative posts as the overly positive ones! When I look at a BBC forum, if there are hundreds of posts, I tend to check the positive and negative lists as well as the most recent ones. I don’t have time to read them all!

But yeah, I think I have a right to block out certain people that I think are idiots, just as I think someone else has a right to block me if they think I’m dull and only read posts from the idiots…

• nick_9

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Hatem – I dislike Michael own because he only gave a damn about England when he was here. He has since admitted that he rushed back from injury too soon to play for England, he then got injured again. Also his comments leave a sour taste, “I would rather play less often at a big club then every game at a small club” something along those lines, which obviously isn’t nice to hear even if Manchester United are bigger than us.

• Sack Llambias

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Tsunki
    It’s the opposite of political correctness. The problem for me is who decides who is worthy and who isn’t ! Your posts are entertaining to many I am sure but surely not everyone. I personally don’t curse others but I am not offended or seek retribution from those who do. I tend to read those I personally find worthy but I don’t seek to impose my opinions on others. We don’t want a state regulated blog with Ed Balls being the only poster literally posting balls. I favour Tian’s suggestion of largely ignoring my idea of the less worthy. Reading the blog you get a good idea of those to ignore and I feel attuned to give some a wide berth.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Super Magpie – post counts? You mean to see how many posts each user has made? I’m not sure I see the point of that beyond making people compete to see who can post the most. There would be a lot of small and frivolous posts to get ranked higher then wouldn’t there?

But yeah, slightly different layout. So everyone addressing my original post could put it underneath. Anyone who couldn’t give a damn can ignore that entire thread.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Rotonda

I never understand the love for Barca. They dominate possession so heavily that most teams stay say in their own half trying not to lose. They build up with slow, short passes and only come alive (and get interesting) in the final few passes of the attack.

I don’t find good ball that stoke play any better mind you, but at least there is a contest.

Barca are technically excellent and the skill to implement what they do is phenomenal but it is a bit tedious at times. Each to their own though. I preferred arsenal or us under keegan as every time we got the ball we used the best route to get it forward, long or short passin was irrelevant, we went for most effective at that specific moment which I feel is where Barcelona faulter sometimes.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I think the blog works pretty well as it is. Most people are respectful and any arguments are usually small and not overly offensive.

If anyone states anything too offensive (racism, etc) then there is the opportunity to report it to Ed and he will deal with it.

In general the blog is well policed by ourselves and people are pretty quick to apologise if they got out of hand.

• Sack Llambias

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM

TDS
    Give it a rest mate. They behaved in a disgraceful way and let down the club. I have been embarrassed by our. Fans pretty much since I started watching the toon and particularly on away trips. I no longer travel with any nufc organised trip because I am particular who I mix with. I was disgusted more by that half wit Gordon Brown who failed to balance the national budget after 2001 ( difference between taxation and expenditure ) – source ONS. That has had more of an impact on the life’s of toon fans and the rest of the population. I disgusted by
    many other things, everything is relative. We have moved on and no right minded blogger has condoned the actions of the yob fans.
    RIP.