This Magpie Has Improved Dramatically Since Summer, 2011

Yohan Cabaye was on the fringes of the French National team when he joined Newcastle in June of 2011 for €5M, which at the time was around £4M, and Newcastle paid the release clause fee in his Lille contract to get him on Tyneside.

yohan cabaye action shot

Yohan Cabaye – fantastic acquisition by Newcastle

In August of 2010, while still at Lille, Cabaye was called up to the senior French squad team for the very first time by new manager Laurent Blanc, for the team’s friendly match against Norway, after the French had been abysmal at the World Cup in South Africa the previous summer.

And the midfielder made his senior international debut in that match, appearing as a substitute for Yann M’Vila, and then in February 2011, Cabaye earned his second French cap in the team’s 1–0 victory over Brazil.

So when he arrived on Tyneside, he was not a regular in the French team, but fast forward about 22 months and Yohan Cabaye is now one of France’s best players, and also one of the best central midfielders in the English Premier League, and we know some big clubs will be bidding over £20M for him this summer.

Yohan’s not been a bad buy for the Magpies at around £4M, and he is also likely to become the Newcastle captain this summer, if and when Fabricio Coloccini returns to Argentina to be with his family.

Yohan has played 63 times for Newcastle with 11 goals and 10 assists, and he was instrumental in persuading Mathieu Debuchy, Moussa Sissoko and Yoan Gouffran to join the club in January.

Yohan’s huge success on Tyneside will only encourage other French players to want to join Newcastle, to improve their game and become a regular in the French National side.

Yohan was one of France’s best players in last summer’s European Championships and he has played another 18 times for France since arriving on Tyneside.

So Yohan has been a huge success story at Newcastle, and if we were to pick a player who could emulate Yohan over the next two years, it has to be 23 year-old Moussa Sissoko who looks a world-class player in the making.

We wanted to point out what a tremendous acquisition Yohan has been for Newcastle, and we may already have others on board at the club who can emulate the 27 year-old Frenchman in the next year or so.

And it wouldn’t be fair if we didn’t mention the person who has been instrumental in finding these class players – Chief Scout Graham Carr – who is gaining rock star status on Tyneside, because he’s so good at his job.

Things are looking up at Newcastle these days – fact.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Toon-Prodigy

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Ibiza,

Well this is it, if I can preserve the bones that little bit longer.. Don’t fancy a hip replacement just yet either.

Dear me im struggling for topics today regarding the Toon. Dry spell mate. Im going to think Debuchy is starting then. Thats cheered me up a bit.

Cheers Spoof. How are we going to do that then? Extend where? Sorry, I’v just logged in, missed all the articles today. Off to bed for work in 10 mins.

• Toon-Prodigy

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM

This lad Cabaye is pivotal for us. 4 million was daylight robbery.

Haha, you can feel the envious eyes watching over us!

• Spoof

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM

He could arguably be a good candidate to be the French skipper as well, however over the next few years he could face competition from Mapou Yanga Mbiwa for the French armband, this young lad has strengthened the defence greatly whilst replacing the injured Colo, and has already proved his ability in captaining a side by leading Montpellier to the French title, its a nice choice to have.

• Spoof

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM

T-P, pass m8, the Gallowgate and the corner of the East stand and Leazers end have been mentioned, but I honestly don’t know, we could all go on diets so they could put slimmer seats in I suppose

• tooninspain

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I watch Barcelona regularly over here, and believe me, Cabaye would be a great addition to their squad. Iniesta and Xavi , we know, are sensational together, but Xavi is knocking on a bit now. Cabaye is the nearest I’ve seen to him, and would be an ideal replacement. I hope to Christ Barca don’t come calling, although if we were to lose him, I’d rather he didn’t go to another English club.

• ArtyH

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM

The toon will get in the region of £70m this summer for T.V rights etc, so I would not be surprised if M.A chose now to get at least half of that back to cover his outlay for the club, and who can blame him? We need a few more ” purple’s ” squad and youth players. The way our buys have gone over the time M.A has been in charge have proved you do not have to spend over the odds to get great players. While I would ” love it ” if we did spend big and get another four or five top priced players it does not mean we will be buying a higher place finish, at lease that’s MHO. We need another top striker, winger and midfielder and central defender about £30m worth give or take.

• Toon-Prodigy

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Spoof,

I agree, Yohan or MBiwa for captain of the french national team. Both influential and have good leadership qualities. Cracking players for a good while yet.

I’d love it to be a 60,000 seater. Would put us right up there.

I’v always held a notion that we would fill a 70-80,000 seater stadium, but I think it’s just a pipe dream for myself. And I doubt it would ever be built. Still nice to think though!

• Toon-Prodigy

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Arty,

If we get 70 mil. Mike Ashley would probably make that last the next 3-4 years judging by his bargain buys and the way he spends.

It’s good to be in the hands of someone who knows how to handle money. It’s been frustrating in the past but we are starting to reap the benefits of it now.

We are in great shape.

• Spoof

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM

ArtyH, I don’t want to dampen anyone’s enthusiasm but can you really see Mike Ashley spending £30m in the summer, if he does then he is a different Mike Ashley to the one which we have seen so far, the club keep on telling us that they will continue as they have over recent seasons, and that doesn’t include a £30m spending spree.
    We will get loads of cash from the new t.v deal, but we got loads from Liverpool for Andy Carroll, and as with the AC money, I can’t see the t.v money being used for a spending spree in the transfer market

• Toon-Prodigy

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Im off lads, catch ya’s later. Bedtime

• Tsunki

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM

SJP box office. Pah.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM

On about how much we will get
    Interesting article in todays Independent.
    ‘Blowing the whistle on football’s debt shame’
    Britain’s two state banks (our banks) are bailing out premiership teams Liverpool, Fulham and West Ham yet small businesses can’t get loans. mmmm

• martoon

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM

robin from previous blog – if you are going to throw insults at least get my name right but I think that may have been a Freudian slip as Martoon writes in the same style as robin! However I am impressed that you managed to use the word remedial in a sentence 😉

• Tsunki

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Robin learned the word ‘remedial’ through those nice people at the prison service I think.

• MAG04

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Would love to have a big screen at SJP. They seem to have them at most other grounds.

Always good to have the scoreline up when you’re thrashing a team or likewise a kick up the arse in you are losing!

• robin

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Tsunki, are you writing from personal experiance of the penal system? Is that where you learned to read and write? You come across as a toadying individual with no personality. Martoon I’m glad you found my description of your school English curriculum impressive.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Robin…What is the aim of your posting or is it as simple as just being a WUM? Besides criticising Pardew and posters you don’t seem to comment on anything else…at all.

Just intrigued really, as it doesn’t seem to gain any significant response (as in actually getting to people) so was just wondering what the point was?

• carl

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Ibizatoon
    Robin is spawned out of Harry Enfield. He is the stroppy teenage Kevin. Our version is about 15-16 and hates poetry.

• Bambams

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Mackem Alert……

Both Fletcher and Clattermole out for rest of the season !

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM

bambams…What’s the odds on them getting relegated then? 🙂

Carl…It would seem to be something along them lines. We do get some, shall we say, interesting characters on here, but at least actually chat with people and share opinions. I just don’t get why he’s here if he wont even engage. Oh well, life does go on.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM

those lines* Tut tut, them lines doesn’t quite fit 🙂

• ichrisho

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Directly@Robin – are you a mackem? Wouldnt blame you if you didnt admit to it… but…

• ichrisho

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Profit of 1.4m… woooohooooooo…. We can defo get a French international for that…

• carl

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:06 PM

He did make me laugh which can’t be bad.

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Finally got through to the box office after trying for 5 hours!!! Got a ticket don’t even know where am sitting but I couldn’t care less :p

Anyone else had any luck yet

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:07 PM

ichrisho…Aye, we’re going place with that £1.4m 🙂

Carl…Similar to when someone walks into a glass door?

• ArtyH

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:07 PM

@ toon/spoof, yes agreed just giving my thoughts of how it may play out and I for one would not be too critical of M.A if he took £30-40m back out of the club as long as it was not to the detrement of the squad, ie there was investment to help us climb up the league and make the team better.

• Bambams

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:08 PM

@Ibiza…
    Best price 7/2 worst price 33/10……lol

To be fair mate Fletcher has scored a third of all their goals and they have only won twice when he has not played…..Source Sky Sports

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Bambams…It doesn’t look good for them. Be a shame not to have the derby next season, but I’ll take some joy out of their misery.

• carl

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Ibiza
    Or walks into a lamp post whilst on a mobile phone. Ok he didn’t know it was the Beatles but he was close for many with a sonnet. He is I would suggest reasonably intelligent and aside from thinking the joke is on everyone else clued up. You seem to get on well with him but when don’t you.

• ichrisho

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Have been trying since 9.15am to get through to the box-office – you’d swear it was 95-96 season again… I didnt get any tickets for Benfica or Sunderland… Arse… Holy cow – there must have been some rush today to get tickets sold…

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Carl…Do I? 🙂 I can’t seem to get a response from him since the first day I saw him on here and he told me my efforts weren’t up to my normal standard…make of that what you will. It isn’t another account of yours is it? 😉 Hope it’s not too early for that joke.

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Ichrischo

Has benfica sold out ? 😮

• Spoof

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Now why would we won’t that lot to go down, even on a bad season we always get a minimum of 4 points off them, and the gloating that comes with that is irreplaceable !

• ichrisho

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I said at start of season (as I’m awesome) 🙂 that Newcastle chances on getting into the Europa League Final would mean us beating Inter, Spurs, Anzhi and Benfica… as in last32, last 16, semi and final… so Inter are out… but still reckon we will get to the final and Spurs will be waiting for us… is that possible? Is there another draw after the quarters or do we know who which winner will face us in Semi?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Spoof…It’s not about want, just looks like they very well might.

• tooninspain

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I have a sneaky feeling that the mackems will nick a point this weekend. I think they’ll just stay up, but if Sausagenon or Graham get injured, they’ll be in deep doo doo.
    Most of them seem to get more pleasure in seeing us lose than them winning.

• ichrisho

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Leazes – There is two areas where you can get tickets… seems a good few spots left. I just couldnt get my normal seats and thought Arse-to-it… apologies if it seemed like it was sold out and for the Mackems… I could only see 6 seats left… and that was at 1.15 today… I need 2 beside each other…

• ichrisho

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I dont wish for Sunderland to go down… all I want is that all their strikers get injured. John O’Nea has to go up front and they JUST survive on the last day.. SO… O’neill quits as he always does and most of the team either leave or get sold on and again they start another cycle of “trying” – another 10 years of misery for them as we, as a profitable football club with internationals, laugh all the way to a top6 finish most seasons…