We Are Looking At Players All Over Europe – LLambias


Newcastle’s Managing Director Derek LLambias has been interviewed in the press, after announcing Newcastle’s very good results yesterday, for the financial year through the end of last June, when Newcastle again made the top 20 of football clubs in the world, based on revenue.

derek llambias in black suit

Derek Llambias – we are looking all over Europe

And Derek has been opening up a bit about Newcastle targets in the summer transfer window, and he says Newcastle have been looking closely at players since last October, and it’s not only in France.

This is what Derek said in the Daily Mirror:

“There is still money available. There are several positions we are looking at.” “Next year, we will have the TV money (from the league’s huge new television deal). There is a budget to spend.”

“But our transfer policy remains the same – no trophy buys. Basically, we will continue our model as it is. It works, so we won’t break it.”“We are actively looking at players, and have been since October.”

“All over Europe – it’s not just France. That’s been a good market for us but there are only so many you can get from there.” “I think Graham Carr has more company when he is out there.”

“He’s not wearing a disguise just yet! If he started wearing glasses, he would start looking like his son (comedian Alan Carr).”

What did happen in the last financial year was  the wage bill at Newcastle rose to £64.1M for the year ending June 30, but that was still less than the £74M it was in our relegation season and it was 68.7% of revenue – an increase of 8.1% on the previous financial year.

Newcastle have already terminated the contracts of Xisco (£50K/week) and Nile Ranger, and the club will not be renewing Steve Harper’s contract (got to be close to £50K/week) when it runs out at the end of June, after Steve has been at the club for the last 20 years.

And we think one or two first team players could also leave in the summer, with Gabby Obertan a likely possibility.

The financials look good and seem to be well under control – and now we need to ensure that next season we have our best squad in many a year – and the club seems to be well on the way to doing just that.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:


You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

13 comments so far

  • jammylambo

    Mar 28, 2013 at 1:09 AM

    Comment #1

    first..

    does xisco and rangers contract terminations count towards the 68.7% ?

    0
  • JP...from The Rock

    Mar 28, 2013 at 1:13 AM

    Comment #2

    It seems like a month since we last played! Newcastle next year will become a team to fear come Christmas. If we manage to bring in some quality like what has been said in the papers ie Aubameyang, Bony, etc.

    0
  • Toon-Prodigy

    Mar 28, 2013 at 1:13 AM

    Comment #3

    Aye, Graham needs a disguise now, too many people onto him. I was just saying this the other day.

    Good to know we have been actively scouting players since October, and not just from France either. He’s right, we need to move around, we have hammmered the french market. Time to find a new market and repeat.

    We are certaintly going about things the correct way, It fills you with confidence. I just hope the deals go through smoothly in the summer for the players in question. Get them in early and get a good pre-season under the belts.

    Derek has narf came out a bit hasn’t he? Much more informative these days. It’s good to hear.

    0
  • JP...from The Rock

    Mar 28, 2013 at 1:15 AM

    Comment #4

    Good question Jammylambo and probably as they would have had to pay out the contract or some sort of compensation.

    0
  • JP...from The Rock

    Mar 28, 2013 at 1:17 AM

    Comment #5

    Yeah Llambias is surprisingly talking more and he’s actually making sense. Good to see and bodes well for the future.

    0
  • NUFC_LEAZES END

    Mar 28, 2013 at 1:18 AM

    Comment #6

    @toonprodigy

    Yeah your right, a full international wont play back up, that’s why I want us to sign van dijk from fc Groningen, he’s young and got loads of potential. And he would probably cost us no more than 4 mil

    0
  • jammylambo

    Mar 28, 2013 at 1:23 AM

    Comment #7

    @jp

    yeah i thought that too, after id posted .
    “one of those its 1am stop asking questions”

    0
  • RonVanDam

    Mar 28, 2013 at 1:38 AM

    Comment #8

    Oberton needs to go. Came from ManU in hopes of landing first team spot. Had a easier path looking at the types of players he was surrounded by and a top coach. Now struggles to make the bench.
    In order to see what he can actually accomplish in the field, if we keep him for another season is to loan him to a championship club for a year. He gets regular games and watch his development and figure out if he would be worth keeping.

    The downside for Oberton is that he was never sent out on loan while at Man U while playing 3rd fiddle and the same here to show what he can really do.

    You’ve got Santon (21) and Haidara (18) breaking into first team when Oba (24) cant get any game time. Weighing in the age factor, emerging young talents and hows he’s done so far i think he will be sold

    0
  • brian kilclines pony tail

    Mar 28, 2013 at 1:56 AM

    Comment #9

    @Jammylambo – i think they will be included as they were paid during this financial year, however they wont be once they left, so end of jan to apr wont include it. i think?

    football finances in general are very strange things, why not include the wonga deal? it started before the financial deal ended. why dont teams put player transfers in that were clearly made during that financial year.

    more transparency is required

    0
  • one Tony Green

    Mar 28, 2013 at 7:09 AM

    Comment #10

    @tPony Tail. Transparency for who. If you want a full set of accounts buy them from companies house..
    Not trying to be funny but never ceases to amaze me what fans expect.

    0
  • Far East Magpie

    Mar 28, 2013 at 7:21 AM

    Comment #11

    brian kilclines pony tail,
    the accounts reported is for the year ending june 2012. the wonga deal was announced in Oct 2012 and the deal will only start in 2013/2014 season.

    jammylambo,
    ranger and xisco only left the club earlier this year, so their wages will still be reflected in the 2011/2012 accounts.

    anyway i find the recently announced accounts a little confusing. in the previous year, it was announced we made an operating loss of 3.9m which the 35m carroll deal made sure we made an overall profit. however derek llambias said yesterday that we made an operating profit of 13.3m last season.

    0
  • JToon21

    Mar 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM

    Comment #12

    I am usually the most sceptical of fans when it comes to Newcastle spending in the transfer market under Ashley. However, I feel this year will be different not because Ashley wants to spend alot but he will have to. Not many of the other teams have such a prudient finanicial model as Newcastle and will see this cash injection from the new TV deal as an opportunity to bolster their ranks. Newcastle therefore have to spend merely to maintain their position. Similar to last year when Newcastle didn’t do this last summer and the effects of suhc were seen in January. Certainly I can see the teams of the league such as West Ham, Villa, and others spending close to £30million this summer and Newcastle will need to do the same if they want to compete

    0
  • Owldman

    Mar 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM

    Comment #13

    @2 forget about Bony we wont pay the asking price, West Ham have already bid £12mill now Chelsea are moving in for him so he wont be coming to Toon

    0

You must log in to post a comment.