The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Defense Still Leaking Too Many Goals

11:48 pm, Saturday, March 30th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 37 Comments

Carlos Tevez, David Silva, Vincent Kompany and Yaya Toure scored the goals that demolished Newcastle today – and in truth it could have been even  worse if City had taken more of the chances they had in the first half.

david silva scored second goal

Davide Silva smashes in second goal just seconds before half time

As it was, it looked like Newcastle could survive until half time keeping City at bay, but then Tevez and Silva scored  goals in the last five minutes of the first half.

While Newcastle did better after the break, City got their third goal after only 55 minutes – and our defense is again our Achilles heel this season – and we are conceding far too many goals.

We’ve conceded 56 goals in 31 games already, and last season we conceded 51 goals in the 38 league games played.

This is what Jonas Gutierrez said on the Newcastle web-site after the game:

“We have to take a few more wins. We are not going to be safe with the points that we have so we need more points.” “We have two home games which are going to be difficult for us so the next 15 days are the most important of the year.”

“No excuses – we have to do better,” “They have good players but we have to play better than we did today. We know that it’s a hard place to come – they’re the champions, they have fantastic players.”

“But we have to start the game with a higher ambition, a higher intensity, because if not you have a defeat like today.” “I think after half time, we started playing like we should have started the first half but then I think the third goal killed us.”

“But we had to attack them from the beginning, not wait until half time because normally in the Premier League it can be too late.” “We were missing important players who had injuries but we have players who can come in to do the job the same way.”

“But if all the players want to play, when they have the opportunity, they have to play great to not miss their chance.”

That last line is code for saying that the lads who came in today to deputize for the inured players didn’t take their chance.

But all teams have injuries,  although we did have Colo, Krul, Santon, Debuchy, Haidara, Tiote and Ben Arfa missing today through injury.

But  if we keep playing like we did against Manchester today – we’ll be in serious trouble in the league especially with lower teams starting to pick up wins as Wigan, Southampton and West Ham did today.

But we also shouldn’t over-react, since it’s just one game and we didn’t expect to get any points today in any case.

We suppose that’s the good news.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Jonas Gutierrez · Newcastle News · Premier League

37 responses so far ↓

• 1 nick_9 // Mar 30, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Speaks sense. Actions over words

• 2 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I can’t believe some people on here back to wanting pardew out!

What do u expect when we are
    playing away to the champions
    We have injured player
    Krul
    Coloccini
    Debuchy
    Santon
    Haidara
    Tiote
    Ben arfa
    Marveaux
    Raylor.

I’ve probably missed someone out. But yes we did get hammered and our tactics seemed negative, but we weren’t gonna risk the fitness and injures of some of the players that are practically back from injury, to wear themselves out trying to get a point but end up getting nothing anyways!
    More important game on Thursday guys!!

• 3 Fridge // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Pardew has to go! He is out Of his deapth. We have lost 1 in 2 This season so far. It dont matter how many good players he has to his disposal because he dosent know how to use them. He is too defensive minded. You cannot win a game by just defending. Its not just about having quality players. You need a quality manager aswell.

• 4 JackButler // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM

It’s all well and good calling for Pardew’s head as to sack him is easy, but to find someone who will work with Ashley, Llambias and co under the way the club is run and who is a better than Pardew is another thing.

Some of the names that are thrown around on here are laughable at best, especially when you look at the managerial appointments of Ashley to date

• 5 nick_9 // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM

“More important game on Thursday guys!!”

Cannot agree with that, do you not see the league as a priority or did you write today off before a ball was kicked?

• 6 ONLINE GUY // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Just heard a whisper that Shearer has been approached by Sun-der-la**d..comes from Soccer Usa from what I can gather..

• 7 JackButler // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I couldn’t give a rats arse about Thursday game as if we lose against Fulham it could be to late

• 8 nick_9 // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Jb @ 4 – spot on. Cannot see many wanting to work for Ashley even if the last transfer window went fairly smoothly, he is always a certainty to make a controversial decision.

I’d just like to see some improvements in aspects of our play.

• 9 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Yes I did class today as a write off before a ball was kicked, maybes I wouldn’t of if we had a fit squad.
    What can u expect from having a LW playing LB, a RW that’s championship quality on his day and a cm that clearly isn’t used of the physicality of the premiership, yet was matched up against yaya toure and Gareth Barry.

• 10 JackButler // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

nick_9

I’m not a massive fan of Pardew but I understand how the club is being run now.

I’d love to see Laudrup or Moyes come in but I know it’s simply not going to happen

• 11 nick_9 // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I expect a hearty display that’s what I expect!!! Did you write off that home game against Chelsea before a ball was locked as well? Every fan knows how unpredictable football is, look at Southampton today. Like I said if we go down fighting fair enough

• 12 nick_9 // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:20 AM

kicked*

• 13 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Why would I class chelsea as a write off may I ask?

We were playing at home
    And we had a full squad apart from Ben arfa and raylor obviously.

I’m just saying

Away to a team that we couldn’t beat when they were shite, never mind now that theyre world class, and with a very weakened side.aswell.

Wasn’t expecting much

• 14 jimmysmith // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Playing away to the likes of City, United, Chelski, etal is so often such an unwelcome reality check.

I mean we are two points above the filth who have just sacked their manager and are totally pants. Crikey!!!!

• 15 nick_9 // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Nor was I mate but we always live in hope. I mentioned Chelsea because they’re a consistent top five club that many would instantly think was a very hard game to get 3 points from. All I’m trying to say is football isn’t always predictable, I wish it was because I would be a rich man

• 16 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:37 AM

@jimmysmith

U missed out away games in London aswell. For some reason we don’t get results even at the piss poor teams like qpr or Fulham :(

• 17 ToonDownSouth // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Makes me laugh constantly reading the line “Pardew can’t blame injuries today”.

Really? Can’t he? Two of our top three players (imo) in Krul & Ben Arfa are missing, and our full back choices consist of Simpson, Jonas, Anita and Perch. Woof.

Then – despite many ignorant comments to the contrary – we’re forced to play Obertan since we simply do not have another winger/wide forward in the squad. Marveaux was a doubt, Ferguson and Sammy are on loan, and Ben Arfa is injured long term.

Yes, Pardew is partly to blame – but some of the crap that get’s posted on here is insane.

• 18 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 31, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Yeah I know what you mean, I just hope we have a bit more luck from now on, especially with injuries

• 19 santonthenewmaldini // Mar 31, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Just saw the Birmingham highlights WOW ! Ferguson sets up 2 goals and scores a Cabaye style free kick why did we send him out on loan and keep Obertan?!?

Also if it was not City e were playing I would have been tempted to play Curtis good at left back with Jonas protecting him would probably have worked out better

If we actually survive this season something has to give its either Pardew to blame or the underachieving players thats to blame either way someone has to go I hope at the end of the season the club does another one of those meet the fans question and answer at the stadium and they take into account what the problems are

• 20 Newcastle for alltid // Mar 31, 2013 at 2:33 AM

I don’t often call for Pardews head, but today was a f***ing joke. Like it or not, we will never play champagne football with Pardew, as his tactics are far too “primitive”. The team should be drilled in a possession/passing game, where most of our play goes along the ground. As of now, the tactics are just too much up to chance. Bring in a continential manager, and you’ll see players like Sissoko, Goufrann, Cabaye and Anita thrive.

• 21 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 31, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I’m not wanting pardew to get sacked but don’t get me wrong, if we could swap him for Roberts do matteo or David moyles right now I would

• 22 terencelim // Mar 31, 2013 at 2:47 AM

So the club actually never stop fighting for relegation under Ashley’s ownership except last season and also the year in Championship.

• 23 MacToon // Mar 31, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Online, howay man, Shearer wouldn’t even wear a mackem shirt for charity!

Today’s result was expected but our performance wasn’t. A lacklustre display by Pardew’s boys yet again.

• 24 Sav // Mar 31, 2013 at 4:16 AM

I hope that is the last time I have to see Obertan in magpies shirt.

• 25 thai-mag // Mar 31, 2013 at 4:20 AM

when I saw the team sheet before the game, Obertan playing, Jonas at left back, we may as well have just started with 9 men, to be fair to Pardew I think we would have got beat with whatever team we put out, I think he must have been thinking about the game on thursday

• 26 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 31, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Not too sure what result ppl were expecting yesterday away to the champions with our 2nd choice keeper and 2nd choice FB’s against on of the best attacking teams in the league
    And Christ stuck with obertan to create chances, the bloke has no right to be in any prem team!
    So we lost to city so now all the little catchy’s come crawling back out the woodwork b1tching and whining bleating out the same lines over and over
    Since when did losing to citeh away mean we’re bound to get beat by Fulham, the scum, QPR etc?
    Get a grip ffs

• 27 Whistler // Mar 31, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Yesterdays result was no real surprise but the minimum I’d expect from my team is energy and application…that performance yesterday was a disgrace….the players should rightly be held to account but also the manager who in my opinion has a staggeringly negative and outdated approach to setting up a team…I dont base this opinion on just one game and nor do I advocate a gung-ho all guns blazing mentality but Pardew frustrates the life out of me. Just look at the technical ability and quality of the players he has at his disposal yet time again we suffer the same naivety of AP…it’s either hoofball to a lone striker that we isolate and fail to provide with support or we play ultra slow predictable pass-it-across-the-line football which would allow a team of 12 year olds to re-shape into 2 banks of 4 to hold us out….we move the ball too slowly, the movement and interchange of players is poor, we ask a penalty box predator to forage across the front with hardly any support, we hoof too many long balls and then blame injuries on everything….do me a favour! We are tactically retarded! We need a new forward thinking, progressive manager for next season and hope AP can keep us up in the remaining games we have…

• 28 cyprus // Mar 31, 2013 at 8:12 AM

First, on the game. We now know that we are a poor team, will need one more drastic injection of new players to be able to compete in this league. If Cabaye is injured, then it showed! I almost hope he was, because he was totally outclassed! Obertan should logically never get play time again, surely he will be released. In fact, about ten of our squad members should be released or sold, this team just hasn’t worked out.
    On our future. We will draw against Fulham, and hopefully gain a lucky point or two from the other games, which brings us to 36 points. So, we need to WIN the Sunderland games, which would take us to 39, while relegating Sunderland. That’s the REAL game of the season. Europa? Forget it, very very sorry to say…

• 29 Bambams // Mar 31, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I am watching motd now and I want you all to just watch ten mins of the match and tell me if I am wrong!

Our playerd are jogging around the pitch shadowing Citeh players and not closing them down. In other words they are going through the motions and no more.

This to me is it was already agreed/believed we would get nothing from this game, dont get injured and we will have most back for Thursday and then the two home games.

This is just my opinion but have a watch, Sissoko has put in one meaty challenge and nobody else is quickly closing down.

• 30 Bambams // Mar 31, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Whistler…….

Spot on I for one totally agree

• 31 Visten // Mar 31, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I am sick of hearing ‘oh well we never expected any points’ bloody defeatist attitude. Yes we have injuries but the performance was a roll over like a dog and scratch my belly performance. Yes we expected to get beat but the manner of the defeat is an utter disgrace. We are in a dog fight and the manager and bloody players need to start fighting or it will be too late.

• 32 Fridge // Mar 31, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Who is out injured? Ffs. Who out Of our best attacking six players Are we missing? Only ben arfa. And they still coulnt make any attacking threat att all. Now why is that? Naming injured players that wont Get in the first eleven is just stupid. Pardew will never have his players play good football. Because he does not know how to do it no matter how many internationals who is in the first eleven.

• 33 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 31, 2013 at 8:35 AM

TOTALLY outclassed yesterday – yet pleasure to watch City play – their passing, movement and the want of the ball

A few frightning Premiership statistics for this season
    Only won 1 away game
    Only kept 4 clean sheets
    Only won 2 times when Cabaye has not played
    Won by more than 1 goal 2 times
    Not scored a goal from a corner all season
    5 times lost by more than 1 goal
    Only won 2 games in a row 1 time
    Lost 4 in a row 1 time
    Lost 3 in a row 1 time
    Lost 2 in a row 2 times
    Scored a last minute winner in at least 3 of the games
    Only Reading have lost more games than us
    Used 31 players so far this season
    AND I have not seen us outclass a team this season and deserve a win.
    Lost a few unluckily but been lucky on more than one occasion
    Can’t see us getting another win maybe scrape a couple of draws
    Hope I’m wrong

• 34 Bambams // Mar 31, 2013 at 8:40 AM

@Tads….
    Morning fella.

I did not expect anything from the game, more so when I saw the team.

What annoyed me was the lacklustre performance from so many. I now have ‘ football first ‘ on and its men agsinst boys. I agree the Citeh team are excellent players but I would still expect players to try and score – we tend to try and stop the other team from scoring primarily then nick one if we can.

Pards wanted a more attacking threat, we got some yet we still take ages to attack.

Hopefully with our fb’s back and Marv fit again we can get the six points we need.

• 35 toonbrother // Mar 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM

the biggest flop yesterday was not obertan it was the central midfield duo of anita and cabaye,. As usual “fans” on this site look for their favourite scapegoat to pin all the blame on. Gouffran , Sissoko and Cisse were equally anonymous. The problem was we couldnt win or keep possession to save our lives and did not create opportunities for our strikers

• 36 texasgaijin // Mar 31, 2013 at 10:21 AM

pathetic performance. agree with @whistler 100 percent. i didn’t expect a result, but i did expect some effort. when a team lacks in technical skill, they have to make up for it in effort, heart, and aggressiveness. none of those were on display yesterday. obertan, simpson, and anita, in particular, were shameful. never been convinced by anita, who strikes me as too small for the EPL. if he had the technical skill of silva, being so short wouldn’t matter (but, then again, if he had those skills he wouldn’t be playing for us). goofy was a non-factor, cisse got no supply from the midfield, and jonas was outclassed. nasri had both goofy and jonas for lunch along the touchline in what has to be one of the most embarrassing moments of the season. all of the other teams at the bottom are playing like they fear relegation; why not NUFC, too? do they think they’re too good to go down? if so, someone should let the rest of the league know because wigan, southampton, QPR and others are playing to survive. wish i could say the same for NUFC.

• 37 nufc 11 // Apr 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Anita has been below par wen he has come in needs a big improvement for benfica game.

previous post: Sunderland Lose 1-0 To Red Devils – Sack Martin O’Neill

next post: Two Full Backs Back For Benfica?