The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Good News – Massadio Haidara Back For Lisbon Game

12:16 am, Tuesday, April 2nd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 40 Comments

It’s very possible that our 20 year-old French defender Massaido Haidara will be in the squad that travels to Lisbon on Tuesday, to prepare for their Europa League quarter-final first leg tie against Benfica.

massadio Haidara clutching his knee

Massadio Haidara – in pain just two weeks ago at Wigan

The French full-back was injured by Wigan midfielder Callum McManaman’s terrible tackle, and it was thought initially that Massadio could be out as long as nine months, if he had badly damaged his knee ligaments.

But the 20 year-old could even be starting at left back in Lisbon, with the returning 21 year-old Davide Santon likely to move over to right back.

Massadio’s return will give a lift to both the Newcastle squad and the Newcastle fans, after we were hammered 4-0 at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

Captain Fabricio Coloccini is still on the mend and it’s thought the Argentine will be out another two weeks, and Ben Arfa will be returning to Newcastle later this week, as his hamstring seems to have improved a lot over the last couple of weeks.

And if Newcastle are to do well in our remaining games, it will need players like Fabricio and Hatem back in the side.

Newcastle will play Benfica on Thursday night, and then Fulham at home on Sunday, and the Cottagers will be without Steve Sidwell, who was sent off in the second half last night in their 3-2 win over second bottom side QPR,

But that puts Fulham 6 points ahead of Newcastle, with a game in hand.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Davide Santon · Europa League · European Competition · Massadio Haidara · Newcastle News

40 responses so far ↓

• 1 RonVanDam // Apr 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I dont care if we dont finish in the top 10. I want us to survive this season, MA DL should review the clubs performance, along with the coaching staff, Medical team, Dietician, players.

I serious think we should expand our coaching team.

• 2 Toon-Army // Apr 2, 2013 at 12:27 AM

great for the lad!! we need all the players fit as i desperately hope we get to the final!

• 3 LeToonARMY // Apr 2, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Any news on Ryan taylor

• 4 p // Apr 2, 2013 at 12:33 AM

@1; quality, not quantity

• 5 arctoa // Apr 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM

@ 1

We had a huge coaching team when Allardyce was in charge. Can’t say that worked out particularly well for us!

• 6 wreker16 // Apr 2, 2013 at 12:49 AM

If we’re looking at te infrastructure, some one needs to take a look at the medical team.

From the outside, it seems as if they’ve miss diagnosed and underestimated multiple injuries this season, whilst I’m not a doctor, there have been a number of miscalculations particularly with Ben arfa

• 7 manxpie // Apr 2, 2013 at 1:09 AM

do people think they just send players to there local doctor?
    these players are worth millions n milions of pounds!
    i’m pretty sure they see the top specialists available when needed and at the end of they day every1′s different and bodies have different recovery time and make-up (and life-style) its not an exact science they aren’t robots

• 8 RonVanDam // Apr 2, 2013 at 1:19 AM

If its not the Medical team then it could be the equipments they are using which i highly doubt is outdated. Whatever it is, it needs to be fixed unless Pardews training is very rigorous which i highly doubt :)

• 9 RonVanDam // Apr 2, 2013 at 1:20 AM

@ 7

I think we have a robot on this blog. His name is Kets lol (sorry had to throw it in there)

• 10 RonVanDam // Apr 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Just a thought, if QPR go down will MA still go after Remy after he snubbed us? Will there be too much Pride and angry for MA to go back there again. More importantly will Remy be open to move up north..

• 11 RonVanDam // Apr 2, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Angry = Anger

• 12 davis_toons // Apr 2, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Roberto Martinez have already urge his player to apologized but we are still waiting. They say they wanted some cooling period..before they apologized.

—————————————————
    “I had the chance to go to Newcastle but I didn’t want to live in a place like that. I prefer Paris – everything is trendy and alive.”- SKY – Van der Wiel

• 13 davis_toons // Apr 2, 2013 at 2:38 AM

He is like a goal scorer but Can he Defends?

• 14 davis_toons // Apr 2, 2013 at 2:45 AM

AP says “we didint really keep the ball”…does these means that he wanted us to keep the ball but the players cant?

• 15 bills-son // Apr 2, 2013 at 7:51 AM

RonVanDam – you say we’ve never won a game 3.0 under Pardew?

Wrong.

We beat ManU 3.0 at home last season for starters.

How a Toon fan can forget that game is beyond me.

• 16 Transfer Sage // Apr 2, 2013 at 7:52 AM

davis

I think we do try to keep the ball. But because we seen to be in such a rigid shape to keep our defense together we don’t move well enough to give options for those on the ball.

• 17 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 2, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Everyone have a good Easter?

I found having my pitchfork at the ready really helped with the Easter egg hunt….the kids never stood a chance.

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Apr 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Sinde the new arrivals, if you take away the injustice of Wigan and the rotten luck of the Swansea game and replace them two with draws then we’d be looking at top six form, throw into the mix we have three FBs out injured and a distracted captain crocked, I think the manager deserves another chance with a fully fit team and the striking options he (or any other manager as a matter of fact) would have liked to have had all season.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Apr 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM

We beat Soton scoring four goals in the process and people complained they passed it better than us at times, we beat Villa in a crucial game we got slaughtered because they were the better team in the second half,we beat Chelsea in a pulsating never say die game and they stayed away.

• 20 Transfer Sage // Apr 2, 2013 at 8:25 AM

jfa

It’s still the lack on intent, until we go behind, that gets me.

If Pardew (and i’m sure he will be) is kept on next year I won’t mind, it gives him a chance to learn and show what he can do. He is relatively inexperienced with a technical squad of players so it will take time.

Likewise if he was replaced with a better manager, more modern style, I equally wouldn’t complain.

He has done well for us last year, regardless of how he did it (grit, luck, fight, call it what you like). And he has given us a boost in europe too which i’m grateful for.

• 21 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Morning lads,

Rotten luck this season with injuries and results, and the timing of it all.

This season in the premier league has been disastrous for us.

I can quickly calm myself down though with the thought of “do I think we would be sitting where we are in the league with a fully fit squad and the new additions being brought in last summer?”

Even with your bread and butter injuries a club may sustain over the course of a season, I believe we would be sitting in the top 8. Maybe top 6.

Rotten luck all season. When we start to get a continous starting 11 out there and we get a couple of decent results then bang injuries strike.

Main problem this season for me is just a disastrous run of luck. Hell, to lose 3 full backs in the space of days, two in the space of 20 mins is just unbelievable really.

Im already looking forward to next season with a fully fit squad and a good pre-season under their belts. With a few sales, upgrades and young hungry additions the future is bright.

This season is a total right off and has been a one off since day one.

It would never happen again, just like Graham Carr stated. Better things ahead.

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Apr 2, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Transfer,
    If he is replaced with a better manager I certainly won’t complain, but I still think he deserves another chance.

• 23 Transfer Sage // Apr 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM

jfa

Well we will never know for sure how suited he is to the club and what he can do if he isn’t given another chance.

And in reality, what damage could really happen in one year with Pardew? He won’t get us relegated with this team, especially if we add a few more players in the summer.

Since the new signings (villa away onwards) we have picked 50% of points from games. Over a season thats 57 points….which isn’t too bad.

And in the games we have lost only city was a spanking…we were in the swansea, wigan and spurs games. Injuries to gouff…then debuchy and haidara limited us in two of those as well.

So whilst I find us a bit dull to watch we are effective too, although think we could do better attacking more.

• 24 bills-son // Apr 2, 2013 at 8:49 AM

If Pardew is such a defensive manager why does he sign and play attacking full backs like Santon and Debuchy?

If you are all about defense they defo aren’t the type of players for the job.

I believe Pardew wants to play an attacking game, thats why he added Sissoko to HBA, Cabaye, Santon and Debuchy. Injuries have meant he has hardly had a chance to play them together.

Give the guy a break.

• 25 Williamsonsuks // Apr 2, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I can understand the frustration from the fans as to the the lack lustre performances, but in Pards defence we have been riddled with bad luck. He deserves another season with a full squad and hopefully a few new additions. On another note, floppy chops reckons QPR are not going down :D He only needs 6 wins from 7 Lol.

• 26 Williamsonsuks // Apr 2, 2013 at 8:57 AM

It’s obvious where we lack in strength. Cisse is firing blanks, we haven’t replaced Ba and Ameobi… Well he’s Ameobi. The midfield could win everything, power forward, but have no one to pass to.

• 27 Transfer Sage // Apr 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM

bills

Then why did carver say we spend 4 out of 5 days preparing purely on defence?

Thats the strange thing, we have attacking players but we play a defensive game. We sit very deep and don’t counter very well, which is why we don’t score a lot of goals.

Last season with a settled team we still never attacked a great deal and we had the 2nd lowest amount of shots on goal, just we converted a lot of chances. This season we haven’t been as clinical and it has cost us.

• 28 Troy Stavers // Apr 2, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I don’t think we are playing much different to last season its just we don’t put our chances away nearly as much.

• 29 Transfer Sage // Apr 2, 2013 at 9:03 AM

troy

That’s my point in essence. We are a solid team, create little but had good forward to finish the chances, along with the off bit of brilliance from cabaye, ben arfa, cisse or ba.

We need to make sure we create a lot more though.

• 30 Troy Stavers // Apr 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Interesting figures for injuries;

• 31 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Transfer,

I don’t think it would of mattered if we spent everyday training as an attacking unit.

We have been seriously hindered as a squad from day one. Training would of always had to be switched up and changed to accomadate who was filling in for whatever player was out injured. Whatever tactical approach we would be going with.

My point is a lack of continouity and fluidity. Always having to re-think our game and approach to suit what we have available rather than how we would like to set-up. Everytime we get close another problem strikes.

For me, this season is wrote off down to bad luck. I’v never known anything like it to be honest.

Onwards and upwards for next season. At least we have a bit of excitement left in the Europa.

• 32 Transfer Sage // Apr 2, 2013 at 9:11 AM

prodigy

I think we could do a lot better even given our current situation over the season.

I think when we go behind and begin to attack we are really dangerous, we swarm forward and create a good few chances, leading to us beating chelsea and southampton and getting level with spurs.

It shows we can do it so if we were a little braver from the start I genuine think we could be doing better.

With all our injuries i dont think we’d have been near top 6…but could be in a top 10 place I think, we are only 3/4 points off that now.

• 33 Williamsonsuks // Apr 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Check out dicanio’s face :D http://www.nufc.com

• 34 Troy Stavers // Apr 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM

@TS

Totally agree. I was never impressed with the football played last season but was occasionally mesmerised by the occasional brilliance from Ba, Cisse, Barfa and Krul.

Looking at our injury stats this season then I think its a fair excuse to use them for the results this season.

• 35 Diggedydaws // Apr 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Get a read of this chaps! hohoho!
    And we think we’re daft!

• 36 Transfer Sage // Apr 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM

troy

I was impressed with the football last year. Not the quality of it but the organisation and effectiveness was brilliant. Not great watching it but we won, was tense, so exciting all the same.

I thought it was a decent season to build on and if the january players had been brought in during the summer the style might have evolved.

I appreciate it’s impossible to change style of play over night so I dont expect too much between now and seasons end, but next year I want us to be more aggressive in games and take it to the opposition with the quality we have

I’m happy enough to give pardew next year too, I am losing interest in him but we could be worse off so no worries.

• 37 ichrisho // Apr 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Morning All… Hope you all had a good Easter… All was good mind Saturday.. we were totally outplayed as if we went into knowing we would lose… I do be worried with how the team prepares – we seem to have an issue in the first 20-25 mins… pardew seems to have us set to attack the 2nd half more – and agree on the medical staff or equipment – we seem to always have a long term injury a season…

• 38 Troy Stavers // Apr 2, 2013 at 9:27 AM

@TS

I agree about Pardew and I don’t believe he’s in the top echelons of premier league managers but I still don’t see him being replaced by one either if he was sacked.

Look at Ashley’s history of appointing managers. Its not impressive so nothing makes me feel that will change. I believe if Pardew keeps us up, which I think he will comfortably, then he deserves next season.

I would hate to swap like for like, such as Jol, MoN, Martinez and whichever other mediocre manager has been mentioned.

We must remember Ashley bases his contracts on low basic and high bonuses, plus The books must be balanced every season. No top manager will be attracted by that.

Stability is better than chopping and changing unless you are replacing average for good or great.

• 39 Transfer Sage // Apr 2, 2013 at 9:33 AM

troy

Well we have more money than teams like swansea and they managed to bring in a very good manager.

We would have to go down that line, potential but no experience at the very top level.

• 40 Troy Stavers // Apr 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM

@TS

Lets see where Swansea are next season. Pardew was the LMA winner last season.

The jury is still out on Laudrup for me. Long way to go before he can be considered good/great.

previous post: Newcastle Will Not Be Relegated – We’ll Do Well