The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Note To Loic Remy – You’ve Had Your Chance To Join Newcastle

10:46 am, Tuesday, April 2nd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 28 Comments

With QPR being beaten 3-2 at Craven Cottage last night, it’s now looking a bit of a long shot that they can survive the drop, even though their owner Tony Fernandes has spent embarrassing amounts of money over the last 18 months or so – in an attempt to keep the London club in the Premier League.

loic remy france 99

Loic Remy - in French colors

Remy scored another good goal for QPR last night – that’s four goals in six league games for the French International, who also missed a penalty last night.

Loic Remy spurned Newcastle for extra money at QPR, and he did it at the last moment too, when Newcastle thought they had wrapped up the deal.

And Remy – like other top wage earners at the club – ensured they had get-out clauses in their contracts, in case the club was relegated, and they don’t want to play in the English second division next season.

But I’ve always wondered how that works in games when the going gets tough – it hardly breeds loyalty – when the players know if the club goes down they will be OK, and simply move to another club – hopefully for even more money. :(

If QPR do get relegated Loic Remy will be off – but Newcastle will not be back in for him – you can be assured of that.

The current regime at Newcastle – once miffed by a player – never give them a second chance to come to Tyneside.

The club keeps saying they only want players who want to play for Newcastle, and Loic Remy has already proven that for him that’s just not the case, and if a small, bottom of the league side in London offers him big money then he’ll go there.

Those are the players we had at Newcastle four years ago, when we were relegated and Mike Ashley has learned his lesson well,

Loic Remy would have been great at Newcastle – no doubt about that – but he’s now lost his chance to come to Tyneside.

Sad but true.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Contracts · Loic Remy · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

28 responses so far ↓

• 1 Transfer Sage // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I’d take him if they went down. Thought he was good, shown he can score in prem league, good pace, good finisher, smart footballer on the pitch…whats not to like?

The fact he chose one side near the bottom over another when he could get double money and a chance to move if it goes wrong? Also the fact that QPR guaranteed him the central striker role he wanted (he said himself).

I think he would be great for us and would surely make us a much stronger team and give cisse the competition he needs.

• 2 Grafton83 // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Relagation is going to be so expensive for such a financially irresponsible club. More fool them, they should have developed a proper scouting network of thier own instead of stealing our targets with silly wage offers. Good ridance, lucky for them thier owner is so rich otherwise they’d be out of business.

• 3 Ben3arfa // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Loic Remy and Chris Samba’s transfers will ruin QPR as a club when they go down .

• 4 Transfer Sage // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM

grafton

Fernandes isn’t rich….he needs to hope the other guy (I forget his name, who has abramovich style money) digs deep.

• 5 Grafton83 // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM

What is his relegation release fee, he’s a very good player but I think a number of clubs know that and he’d just go for highest wages again, prob not us.

• 6 mindshaft // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Remy and Samba have relegation clauses in their contracts so I don’t think it’ll ruin QPR if they go down, imagine they’ll be easily able to sell them on.
    What will ruin them are the likes of Wright-Phillips, Hoilett and the others they bought earlier as I doubt they have relegation clauses in contracts and I doubt many clubs would buy them on current form

• 7 Troy Stavers // Apr 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Apparently he couldn’t be bothered to get out of bed to discuss a deal to join us. !

I wouldn’t touch him with Kevlar gloves!!! The lazy, horrible greedy bastard!!!!

• 8 martoon // Apr 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I found it ironic that it was due to mistakes from Remy (missed penalty) and Samba (lost the ball and gave away a penalty) that they lost – it made me smile anyway.

• 9 Transfer Sage // Apr 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM

troy

If you went to france and found out that you could get 40k a week from nancy or 60k a week from bastille who would you talk to?

He has no loyalty to any club in england and nor should he, he is a professional and does whats best for himself.

Also people can make mistakes, why not give him a chance if he wants to join us? Will no doubt have saved us some money as his transfer fee will be lower.

• 10 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Out of principal i’d hope not. This lad didn’t even turn upto see us or see what we had to offer. We were well and truly “snubbed”.

I really wanted this lad in but he showed poor class and it spoke volumes of his personality to me.

Nevermind, he made his decision. He has to live with it now. I’v got no qualms in Gouffran, he has been good for us also.

• 11 Transfer Sage // Apr 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM

prodigy

I’d swap gouff for remy without having second thoughts.

But he obviously had some discussions to come to england in the first place, he had our offer, QPR topped it…why would you then go back to us? especially knowing our reputation for not topping offers.

• 12 Novocastrian66 // Apr 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I thought he looked red hot last night. Great movement and strength on the ball. It looked like he cared too. Nobody can blame the lad for going where he is going to earn the most money. Everyone would do the same. I would be happy to see him play for us next season.

• 13 wreker16 // Apr 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Ed, we need a poll on this: would you take loic remy if QPR went down?

I think I would to be honest, he would need to prove himself after snubbing us first time and I’m sure he could be made to take a pay cut :) that is assuming he wants to come

• 14 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    (From Previous)
    Pardew “I heard Rob Lee say recently on the telly we aren’t getting quality in the box – but some teams won’t let us get quality in.”

Now, forgive me if I’m wrong, but all teams will try to stop you getting quality in to the box. The whole point of having a manager is to figure out a way of managing it regardless. That is part of what he gets paid for, and we have the players that should be capable of doing it.

Okay, now, I have stuck up for Pardew regularly in the past, and will still give him to the end of the season to show me something more, but Saturday was inept. I’m hiked for an hour to get from a braai with freshly caught fish, steak and chicken to watch it at a nearby hotel. To then watch possibly one of the most inept displays I’ve seen was completely embarrassing.

Obertan was at fault for the first goal, let the lad who crossed it get too far away from him. And for Yaya, well, there was only ever going to be one outcome after we backed off and backed off as he powered towards the box.

I saw someone comment earlier that Goofy and Sissoko seem to have gone off the boil (Rotonda I think). I agree. Goofy has been poor the last 3/4 times I have seen him. Is he still carrying an injury?

I’m not sure who I would want in, which is why I have always said wait till the end of the season, but if displays don’t improve then it is time for a change.

• 15 Grafton83 // Apr 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I’d take him, anyone with bruised egos over his choice for more money isn’t living in the real world of modern football. Would prefer Andy Carol back though, he still looks like an awesome player to me

• 16 ichrisho // Apr 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Dont go near him – hes a mercinary and doesnt care for any club – only himself… let QPR have him… and when they go down – enjoy your tuesday nights in Barsley..

• 17 Krul to be Kind // Apr 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Grafton

Anady Caroll for me too, 2 great goals at the weekend which epitomises everything we don’t have, ie a big man throwing himself about, I think Cisse or Goofy playing off him would be immense!

• 18 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Transfer,

I wouldn’t want a player here who’s main motivation is money. While I know money plays a huge part in the modern game not everyone is like him. If he went to a top four club I could maybe understand the snub.

With him supposed to be travelling down here after prelimenary talks and him not even having the decency to show rather to lye in bed for an extra few hrs.

I think we owe it to the club to stay well clear of such players.

For me. it wasn’t just the actual snub, but the whole saga and the disrespect shown. He dosn’t stand out to be a very classy individual at all to me. And his past and personal life is not the best either.

Surely there are better options.

• 19 mumbaNi // Apr 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM

his goal was excellent and he will have 5 ish months EPL experience under his belt. I know he is a selfish, arrogant little boy but I would take him. We need goals and competition in the squad – he will provide them (tried and tested).
    Obviously an apology and 10grand less a week would sweeten the deal !

• 20 croftus5678 // Apr 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM

in all honesty i wanted remy here when we was trying to sign him saying he was a great player ! and tbh that has not changed he’s till a great player.

if we could get him for a steal of a tranfer fee (less than we first was going to pay for him) i would take him without doubt but i think there is the problem of his wages now tbh where there was not before so i can not realistically see it happening anyways.

• 21 Spotlight Kid // Apr 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM

As opposed to a bottom of the league side in the North East, Ed? You have checked the table recently, I presume? Maybe also reminded yourself of the clown still in charge?

If so, it’s nice to see delusion is still alive and well amongst us old folks, it’s supposedly the first step to senility, ye kna? Must be that USA climate….

• 22 Owldman // Apr 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Whats all this Remy talk? If they get relegated I’ve no doubt he’ll back on the continent, Italy or Germany, PSJ are probably the only team in France who could afford his wages & anyone who thinks he will drop his wages to come to us is dreaming,

• 23 Dennis Twice // Apr 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Qpr is not dropped yet…we re not safe…season is not over.

• 24 sir_norman // Apr 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Being Malaysian, i felt for Tony Fernandes. His mistake i think is sticking with Mark Hughes for too long after a terrible start this season. He’s a great owner, it would be a pity if QPR going down this season and all mercenaries in that team left them.

• 25 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 2, 2013 at 1:46 PM

TS…he might be a great player, but there are other fish in the pond don’t you think?

…we have had players here beffore that only come for the money; it didn’t really work out that great for us. I support the idea of signing players that really want to be here.

Money is a funny thing; even at these crazy sums one cannot get enough. You wonder why they are in it for the first place and if money just have corropted them?

• 26 Owldman // Apr 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM

@24 yes no what you mean about the rats jumping ship happened.to us but none of those who left seemed to do anything when they left Newcastle.

• 27 Sav // Apr 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM

That’s sentimental twaddle. If he’s good and available at the right money he should be bought. ‘Snub’ stuff is nonsense. They all go to the highest bidder and if you want to reject a player on those grounds you will lose out. Getting a winning team together is the best way to attract better players and if Remy helpds us do that, that is all that counts. The ones I can’t stand are the ones who come here and don’t put the effort in – like Obertan. Remy has scored 4 in 6. That is all you need to know.

• 28 TheEPLnNBAfan // Apr 3, 2013 at 2:48 AM

I believe having another striker/creative midfield playing along side Cisse will free him with more chances. Now every team can see where the ball will end up and its easy for them to just put 1-2 man on him and our offense will be non existence.

previous post: Striker Still Scoring Goals – Even With Poor Service