The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Striker Still Scoring Goals – Even With Poor Service

10:22 am, Tuesday, April 2nd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Papiss Cisse was the hero in the last leg of the Europa League tie against Russian side Anzhi, when he scored the only goal of the tie, three minutes into stoppage time, at St. James’ Park – and the Newcastle crowd went wild.

papiss cisse sreven taylor anzhi

Cisse and Steven TaylorPapiss had just scored late winner against Anzhi

But Cisse didn’t score in the two games following that triumph, two Premier League defeats at Wigan and Manchester City, that has placed the team just 3 points above the drop zone.

Manager Alan Pardew thinks the Senegal striker is simply not getting good enough service, and he had this to say in the Shields Gazette today:

We know that if we can get the delivery right, he’ll score.” “Sometimes we’ve had to give credit to the opposition because they won’t let us get the quality service in there.”

Cisse has not has as good a season as he did last year, when he scored 13 goals in his first 14 appearances for Newcastle, after he joined us from SC Freiburg at the beginning of last year.

But the striker has still hit double figures this season with 10 goals in 38 appearances, and seven of those goals have been in the Premier League.

So Cisse has scored 23 goals in the fifteen months he’s been on Tyneside – all in 52 appearances, which is not too bad at all.

Let’s hope Papiss can get some decent service and add to that total on Thursday night in Lisbon.

And why did we let Shane Ferguson go out on loan, when the Irishman seemed to be able to find Cisse with those great left-wing crosses of his?

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse · Premier League

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 alex84 // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM

That’s because we have Guti who provides zero creativity, Cabaye playing deep and Marv out wide…maybe thats one of the problem, ans I think as manager you are supposed to find ways around the solution.

• 2 woolerbill // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Cisse.

If I am not mistaken we were playing 4_4_2 when he and BA were soaring at will. Cisse is a poacher, football is limited as we have seen when he was out wide

• 3 Munster Mag // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Havent been able to log in for a while, but growing increasingly more frustrated witrh Pardew. It looks like last season was attributable to 2 hot strikers and his characteristic stubborn defending. But thats gone now. I really feel we can do better and I cant be the only one ….a fair fan who tries to see things in a fair way….in terms of the EL, we came second in a softish group , won against a Ukrainian team, and could easily have lost last time out with no major complaints – as again we created little if anything. We can expect Sunderland to motor now and ne hyper motivated so I’m not sure we’ll finish above them….:( Suddenly 11th looks like dreamland.

• 4 Transfer Sage // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Well we get no good crosses in as we haven’t got good wingers.

the best two are gouff and ben arfa and they aren’t proper wingers, both like to be more central.

Obertan and jonas offer nothing to the attack.

Marv has a good pass/cross but rarely turns up when out wide.

Only decent crosser in the side is debuchy.

• 5 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Still waiting to see gouffran up on the left, with Ben arfa on the right. Cisse in the middle.

This team is capable of so much if we can get everybody right and injury free.

• 6 Fridge // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Another great excuse from our great manager. Next excuse will probably be something like. The other teams wont let us win so as a result we end up losing. Pathetic.

• 7 Transfer Sage // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM

munster

Yeh, last season we had the 2nd lowest amount of shots on goal just we were very clinical with Ba then cisse getting goals for us.

Fair enough, it was a lot of players first season so anyway to win is fine.

We should have progressed with our style of play, which we did near the end of last season.

For whatever reason we have rarely looked that fluid this season, only time we have is when we have gone behind and had to attack.

• 8 Transfer Sage // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM

prodigy

yeh it will be good but how often do teams have their best 11 available for a long period? it’s rare.

So we do need to be doing better with what we have available, the players currently playing are no mugs and should be playing better.

Not bothered about losing to city, expected but the way we lost was terrible. that team should have done better, even if it was just a closer contest in defeat.

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Pardew “I heard Rob Lee say recently on the telly we aren’t getting quality in the box – but some teams won’t let us get quality in.”

Now, forgive me if I’m wrong, but all teams will try to stop you getting quality in to the box. The whole point of having a manager is to figure out a way of managing it regardless. That is part of what he gets paid for, and we have the players that should be capable of doing it.

Okay, now, I have stuck up for Pardew regularly in the past, and will still give him to the end of the season to show me something more, but Saturday was inept. I’m hiked for an hour to get from a braai with freshly caught fish, steak and chicken to watch it at a nearby hotel. To then watch possibly one of the most inept displays I’ve seen was completely embarrassing.

Obertan was at fault for the first goal, let the lad who crossed it get too far away from him. And for Yaya, well, there was only ever going to be one outcome after we backed off and backed off as he powered towards the box.

I saw someone comment earlier that Goofy and Sissoko seem to have gone off the boil (Rotonda I think). I agree. Goofy has been poor the last 3/4 times I have seen him. Is he still carrying an injury?

I’m not sure who I would want in, which is why I have always said wait till the end of the season, but if displays don’t improve then it is time for a change.

• 10 ichrisho // Apr 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM

He’d be offside… i think his vision needs a check-up… he seems to be at least 3 yrds offside everytime..

• 11 mumbaNi // Apr 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

“I heard Rob Lee say recently on the telly we aren’t getting quality in the box – but some teams won’t let us get quality in.” – Is he serious ? We have been creatively poor all season regardless of who has played – players ruined by his negative tactics ! If it isn’t his tactics then he is saying all other teams are wise to our movement and yet he still hasn’t changed it – either way they are his tactics and choices. His cr*p needs to stop !

• 12 camas // Apr 2, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Is it just me but I reckon we have very few options upfront, Cisse doesn’t understand the ofside rule, great finisher but thats it. Gouffron cant hold the ball, good runner but there is more to being a footballer than running all over the place like a headless chicken. We need two strickers minimum. Loic Remy is the standard we should be aiming for times two. I agree Remy has probably done his dash but he is the standard of player we need X 2 or 3.

• 13 camas // Apr 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Sorry about my previous post I meant Strikers, late here in OZ!

• 14 nufc 11 // Apr 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM

He has been on a slippery slope downwards for awhile you wouldnt know he is playing sometimes, I really think their was a move in place for him in the summer to a top team an it fell tru his head was all over the place at the start of the season and he has been catching up since, Ba came bk a new man after the summer break maybe the summer wont be a bad thing for papis.

previous post: Newcastle Owe Traveling Fans – After Manchester Shocker