The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle And Arsenal Pursue Marseilles Top Defender

12:32 am, Wednesday, April 3rd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 36 Comments

News in talkSPORT that Newcastle are interested in 23 year-old Marseilles defender Nicolas N’Koulou.

Nicolas N'Koulou

Nicolas N’Koulou – Newcastle linked with Marseilles defender

But with Newcastle getting some bargains in France over the last few years, it’s hardly surprising that other clubs are also interested in Nicholas, and Arsenal are credited with being keen on the 36 times capped Cameroon International, and even Manchester City are linked with the player.

The 6′ defender signed on at Monaco in early 2008, and he stayed at the French club for three and a half years, and then signed in June of 2011, on a four year contract at Marseilles.

His top form this season has helped Marseilles reach second place in the French League table with 54 points, and they are seven points behind leaders Paris Saint Germaine.

The player has attracted a number of Premier League clubs, and it seems like Newcastle Chief Scout Graham Carr has been watching the player this season.

We should expect Newcastle to be linked with a number of defenders this summer, as we are likely to lose both Fabricio Coloccini and Mike Williamson in the summer.

The fee that Marseilles are said to want for their 23 year-old defender is only £6M, so that would seem a good deal if Newcastle can get the payer to Tyneside for that amount.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

36 responses so far ↓

• 1 Santiago Munez // Apr 3, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Class player in football manager haha. No chance we could get him and Sahko. Could you imagine Sahko, Nkoulou, Mapou, and STaylor? with debuchy and santon out wide with solid backup could be the best defense in the league (if santon learns to defend). id be happy with just getting sahko or nkoulou though. Both plus another real striker and possibly a winger who can replace the garbage that is gabby and id be on cloud 9

• 2 RonVanDam // Apr 3, 2013 at 1:05 AM

@Santiago Munez
    Couldnt agree with you more. Looks quality. Arsenal and Cuty have also been linked to this player

• 3 Ben_BKK // Apr 3, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I doubt we’d be able to get him for £6m, especially if he’s been on top form for Marseille.

@ Santiago Munez – I signed him on a free from Monaco on my FM11 game for Newcastle and he was great, replaced Tiote as my ball-winning midfielder and was a key player until a DM from my academy came through and pushed him into being a rotation player. I still sold him for £15m to Man Utd when he was 31 which wasn’t bad, especially after his years of service!

In real life when Marseille signed him he’s been pretty much converted into a CB as far as I’m aware. I haven’t seen much of him in real life but if FM rate him (and he’s not just some wonderkid that no one’s ever even heard of lol) then he must be at least decent.

• 4 jimmysmith // Apr 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Krul

Guttierez Taylor M’biwa Santon

Cabaye Anita

Sissoko

Marv
    Cisse

Best 11 available, play them and take the game to Benfica.

Are you listening for once Pards, goddammitall to hell in a handbasket!!!!!!

• 5 Ben_BKK // Apr 3, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Oh and we also definitely need a winger or wide forward who can play on both wings. Someone with pace and trickery who can beat a man, play a good pass and come up with a few goals. Someone like Ben Arfa really, but hopefully someone who can keep fit. Currently our only wide options are Ben Arfa, Marveaux (who’s better in the centre), Jonas (who’s better defending than going forward), Obertan (who’s better on the bench) and Gouffran (who’s decent and hardworking but not the sort of player I want on the wings really).

• 6 Ginger // Apr 3, 2013 at 1:43 AM

@Jimmy Smith

So confident that you’re only taking ten men!!!

• 7 OhSholaAmeobi // Apr 3, 2013 at 2:05 AM

jimmy i’d play exactly that but with perch in DM, can’t afford to have obertan in and be playing with ten anyways!

• 8 t00ntime // Apr 3, 2013 at 2:43 AM

My team:

——————Krul——————-
    Simpson–Staylor-mbiwa-santon
    —————perch-cabaye———
    Jonas————sissoko—marveux
    ——————–cisse—————–

Same vs fulham but gouf+deb over simmo+marv.

Lets get 4 wins and boost morale around here!

• 9 jimmysmith // Apr 3, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Ok, ok. I’ll chuck Perch in there just to satisfy the traditionalists. Although I’m not sure that improves the side any. I quite like the look of that ten man outfit.

• 10 gazzaforever // Apr 3, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I watch him play everyweek with marseille, he s a freaking beast, believe me.

• 11 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // Apr 3, 2013 at 4:58 AM

I know it may be Sunderland but I think the “Kick it Out” are seriously unacceptable in asking Di Canio to “confirm or deny” and fascist leanings.

In the past I’ve always criticised Di Canio for these stupid and pretty ignorant statements but this shows the ‘Kick it Out’ campaign in a really poor light.
    Apart from the blurring of fascism (Italian, which had very little to do with overt racism till they became full ally’s with Germany) –
    What could be described as a more fascistic situation than thought crime?

• 12 jimmysmith // Apr 3, 2013 at 6:40 AM

I do think “kick it out” and their ilk are a bit of an officious mob at times.

Then again, publicly declaring yourself a fascist and delighting Lazio’s notoriously millitant fans with Nazi salutes might also be considered somewhat hammering your colors to the mast.

Couldn’t happen to a nicer club!

• 13 bills-son // Apr 3, 2013 at 7:33 AM

On Di Canio…

Either Ellis Short was unaware of Di Canio’s fascist views or he was aware and decided to ride the storm or misjudged how bad the reaction would be – Milliband resigning only made the media reaction worse.

Either way, Ellis Short doesn’t come out of this smelling of roses.

Can you just imagine the reaction from Toon fans if Ashley had appointed Di Canio?

Anything Ashley has previously done pales into insignificance beside the Di Canio appointment.

• 14 bills-son // Apr 3, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Last one on Di Canio…

I asked my Mackem mate what he thought of Di Canio’s appointment.

He said ‘ he is a very charismatic and motivational type of guy’.

So were Mussolini and Hitler.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Apr 3, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Bills ,
    I’ve just been talking to a member of the unwashed at breakfast and I think the majority seem happy with him,shame about his politics as he does seem a bit of a character.

• 16 Tsunki // Apr 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Actually I am not too ready to condemn him on political grounds as I think that if his far right leanings do not involve racism (which it can as fascism was not rooted in such stuff anyway) then his ethos is his own business. If he was a raging communist he wouldn’t be hounded like this, and the world has laboured equally under some of those as well. We’ve had a flakepot who employed diviners and psychics in charge of the national side so Di Canio is small beer imo. Anyway that was not a political argument, I hate politics anyway just saying I am more concerned that he doesn’t rally the unwashed against us.

• 17 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 3, 2013 at 8:57 AM

The so called Nazi salute Di Canio did to the Lazio fans could also be called a fascist salute, which was a standard fascist salute before Hitler used it as a Nazi salute. The fact that Kick it Out can’t distinguish between racism, which Di Canio has never been accused of by anyone, and a political position, fascism, is a bit disappointing. Being a fascist does not necessarily make you a racist.

All this nonsense has got completely out of hand because the media love to stir and cause mischief. Maybe we should make sure from now on all football managers are from a central political persuasion, and are neither left nor right wing in the slightest.

• 18 cyprus // Apr 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Ed,
    Although I admired Di Canio as a footballer, his consistent declaration that he’s a fascist turned me completely off. I regret to note that you dismissed this in an offhand way (controversial statement you said?) as have most of the media. Look up fascism, dude.

• 19 Tsunki // Apr 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Its because the media love to show who is boss when they get a character who gives them little change. Di Canio’s style is of a type the hacks don’t like because basically he sees them as the cheap dirt hounds they generally are and treats them accordingly. Serious sports journos to me are the ones who distinguish between cheap revenge sensationalism and real issues of concerm affecting the state of sport. At the moment the former appear to be in the ascendency.

I am defending the position of a mackem caretaker. The world is still spinning, isn’t it? :D

• 20 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Out of interest, what are Pards political persuasions? Anyone know? Anyone care? Didn’t think so.

Personally, I’m looking forward to him being a Premier League manager, albeit for only 7 games, the game needs characters.

• 21 Transfer Sage // Apr 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Do canio declared he held fascist believes a while ago and that fascist, not nazi, salute came during his playing days.

Why do the media not kick up such a fuss at Swindon, same as kick it out. Just shows all these people are only involved to get their names out there. If they were really opposed to him managing in this country why only the premier league?

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Sage,

Agreed, Kick it Out are meant to operate at ALL levels of football, so why is this now an issue when it wasn’t before. If they have a problem with it, they should have voiced it 2 years ago when he was appointed at Swindon.

As far as the media are concerned they would always be more likely to jump on this now rather than Swindon as it is higher profile for them, and sells more papers. They are just mischief making in my book, rather than trying to get their names in the public domain.

• 23 Transfer Sage // Apr 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM

It just annoys me…kick up a huge fuss over this then when a problem actually occurs, eg fans racially abusing players throughout a game…FIFA hit them with a €50,000 euro fine, will only be a small percentage of the gate receipt anyway…it’s pathetic.

• 24 Transfer Sage // Apr 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM

And with di canio he says he is fascist but not racist. If he doesn’t hold a racist view he might not hold other fascist views either, just some.

He has never been charged or even accused of racism before so why should he have to clarify that? He has already said he isn’t racist, what more do kick it out want?

They should focus on the actual racist abuse going on in the game on not worry about something which hasn’t happened or doesn’t even look like happening.

• 25 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Sage,

Yeah, if they wanted to achieve anything they would be constantly lobbying FIFA and UEFA for harsher punishments. Instead, they seem to want to get involved in issues that aren’t really there, but are blown hugely out of proportion.

I am not criticising the aims of the Kick it Out campaign. But their methods have achieved very little, and the organisation could do with a complete strategy rethink.

• 26 Transfer Sage // Apr 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Lilongwe

Agree. Great aims just poor implementation.

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Apr 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Tbh,
    I wish he’d gone elsewhere other than the mackems the game needs oddballs and colourful characters.

• 28 martoon // Apr 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Re Di Canio – like others on here I believe he is entitled to his political beliefs whether I find them distasteful or not. It actually seems to be the BBC who are stirring things up which is pretty rich as they were employing him as a columnist!

• 29 Transfer Sage // Apr 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM

With him at Sunderland, talk mourinho could return to Chelsea and Ian holloway possibly getting promoted there could be some very interesting interviews next season.

• 30 Transfer Sage // Apr 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Martoon

The very BBC who gave nick griffin a spot on question time just to boost interest and ratings.

They have become as sensationalist as half the news papers these days. Annoys me we have to pay so much for their shoddy journalism and programmes

• 31 Rotonda heights // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM

yo yo

If you’re going to use big words to abuse people at least spell it right. It’s all one word delusional, not di-lusional !!!

Try putting it in perspective. I said I am so sick of watching Pardew’s negative tactics I would almost take Di Canio over him now. That was just to emphasize how peed off I am with Pardew, not that I would actually take Di Canio. I am appalled by fascism and racism in equal measure

If you want to compare Di Matteo’s record over Pardew, please be my guest. As far as I know Di Matteo hasn’t had any relegations or record losing streaks in 2 different clubs history.

DM has also had promoted 2 different clubs, united Chelsea in a very short time after they had imploded somewhat and won 2 more trophies. DM is still only 39 I think.

Has Pardew even got one trophy in the cabinet in 14 years coaching ?

• 32 Ian Toon // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Transfer Sage@24- Good Morning. An interesting though diversionary topic. Di Canio has previously praised Britain for its multi-culturalism whilst singling out Muslims for making little effort to integrate in Italy. Claiming that he doesn’t want the Italian culture to
    disappear. I see that really as a request to the Italian government for more inclusion. I do think that the mackems and Di canio have been naive in their handling of the introduction to the press. It’s always better to front up and manage the story rather than the fire fighting which carries on unabated. I think it’s only a matter of time before a fit and proper test is introduced for prospective premiership managers

• 33 yo-yo // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

The Italians had an African war going in Abyssinia (now Ethiopia) in 1935 where they took control of the country so the idea that Mussolini’s views didn’t involve racism is pure stupidity.
    Fascism includes the fundamental idea of racial superiority – so PDC is very well aware of what his belief system involves. He just doesn’t have the choice but to try to manage the Black Cats black players – Jonathan Tehoue claimed he was racially abused by the Italian.

As said above – couldn’t have happened to a nicer club – made me realise Ellis Short is a major downgrade on Mashley – despite all the past nistakes.

• 34 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Hello all. Just popped in to see the chaos as I’ve been missing it with my current work load :)

Rotonda…I think the misspelling was meant. Di Canio – Di lusional (I know it’s de, but I guess some poetic license can be granted?).

• 35 Rotonda heights // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM

ibiza

that had occurred to me. i was just being obnoxious. Don’t know why really!!

• 36 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Rotonda… :) Fair enough.

Right, I am off again. Season has started early!

Take it easy