The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Capable Of Beating Any Side – Moussa Sissoko

10:27 am, Wednesday, April 3rd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 22 Comments

You wouldn’t have believed it if you had watched Newcastle perform in that first half on Saturday – but Moussa Sissoko has come out today and said that Newcastle are capable of beating any side – and we assume if we play at our very best on the day then that could even be true.

moussa sissoko what

Moussa Sissoko – we’re capable of besting any side

Moussa has been an ever-present since he joined Newcastle in late January from Toulouse, and has been one of the big successes of those players signed in January, and in 12 appearances he has 3 goals for the side and four assists.

Newcastle arrived in Lisbon yesterday afternoon, and the lads seem to be in a confident mood, and in reality we need a couple of top performances in our next two games – in Lisbon tomorrow night against top side Benfica, and against Fulham at home on Sunday afternoon, if we are going to keep our season alive.

It turns out Moussa has already played against Benfica in his career:

“I’m very happy to still be involved in the Europa League at the quarter-final stage.” “I was fortunate enough to play in it with my former club.”

“As a player you want to be involved at European level – especially in the later stages – but we are taking each match as it comes.” “The competition gets really interesting when it’s down to its closing stages. It’s exciting for all of us.”

“Of course we want to do as well as we can but there are great teams left – and I include Benfica among them.” “There are also Chelsea and Tottenham, but we are capable of beating any of them.”

“Benfica are a great team. Year in, year out, they finish first or second in the Portuguese league and are regulars in the Champions League.” “They have quality players and it will be a very difficult match for us.”

“I played against Benfica for Toulouse in a friendly – I know what great players they have.” I am well aware of the history of the club.” “However, in football anything is possible.”

When we failed to get Loic Remy or Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang in during the January transfer window, that left us without a top striker, after Demba Ba left for Chelsea in early January.

And Ba has done well for Chelsea, and scored the only goal on Monday night to take Chelsea into the semi-finals of the FA Cup, with a 1-0 home win against Manchester United.

Alan Pardew has played Moussa up front in a free role, in an effort to get him scoring goals, and he started off well with two goals in his second appearance at home to Chelsea in our 3-2 win, and then he scored in the 4-2 win against Southampton at the end of February, but hasn’t scored since.

So maybe Moussa can fire home a few goals soon, and certainly if we are to do well in the two Europa League games and the two home league games in the next 11 days, we’ll need some goals from the Newcastle side.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News

22 responses so far ↓

• 1 Assam Toon // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM

sadly and frustatingly, we are also capable of being beaten by any side.

• 2 bollance // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Tiote is in the team because he is on £50k a week.

For that wage he is not giving us enough value. He must head the list to be on his way out this summer. It is a shame qpr won’t be in the prem. they would have paid top dollar for him.

• 3 Tommyy // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Not sure if we are, and as comment one says, we are for more susceptible to being beaten by any side, and convincingly at that. Brighton anyone?

• 4 wreker16 // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Moussa should go to cdm and cabaye move forward, in my opinion

• 5 Tommyy // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Also not really understanding so many nonchalant posters on here? I agree there is no need to get into a frenzy about Pardew and suchlike, but surely you’re all watching the same games and it’s utter dross for the majority.

• 6 Tommyy // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I must admit I’d sell Tiote for the right price, that being 8mill plus. I think he’s been figured out. Every team knows he is not great technically, and that he is rash in the challenge, so they target and pressure him.

• 7 Assam Toon // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM

wreker16, completely agree. mousa shud be told to use his built to dictate the midfield, win possessions etc while cabaye shud play behind cisse. he can score many goals if played in that positions.

• 8 pawl250 // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Tiote needs to go back to HIS game, HIS play style.

Looking 2 seasons ago, he hardly went beyond the half way line…. he sat back received the ball and played it on. No trying to take players on, I believe he had one of the best pass ratios in the PL on his first season.

Just get him to pressure the ball at the halfway line and tell him to stay anchor.

Making him move up the pitch when he not creative, has no shot only invites pressure form the opposing team to track him down. By playing an Alonso-esque role for the team like he used to do, he provides the get out clause.

He has passing ability, but lately he thinks he is Messi, dribbling around and hes arguably had more shots than Cisse this season!

Looking forward to the game tomorrow:

———————– Krul ———————
    Simpson — STaylor — Mbiwa — Santon
    ————— Cabaye — Perch ————–
    Jonas ———— Sissoko —– Marveaux
    ———————– Cisse ——————–

PLEASE NO OBERTAN!!!

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Tiote is becoming the new scapegoat now Simmo and Willo are out of team. Yes, he has been poor this season, but so have most of our players. We have hardly had a settled midfield all season which doesn’t help. If anything Tiote has been trying to over compensate for this issue and has stopped playing his natural game and winning the ball and playing it simple. I still wouldn’t sell him, he has been excellent for 2 seasons for us. Yes he picks up cards, but all CDM’s do. It is part of the game.

Once we get a settled team together all the players will up their level of play, and Tiote would then step into a crucial role for us again.

Having said that there are certain games where he is not as needed as we should be taking games to the opposition, in these I would rather see Anita in the centre with Cabaye and Sissoko.

• 10 Rotonda heights // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Ian / Carl / Pushy

Ooh get you !! I do have a name you know, although unlike you I tend to stick to just the one. True I can’t invent other people to back me up but equally it saves on the confusion.

I’m sure yo yo is a big boy and can take care of himself without your alter egos babysitting him.

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Pawl

Exactly how I feel. He is trying to do too much this season and not playing to his strengths. I think this is cause the team is under performing and he is trying to change the game and force the issue too much. Maybe Pards has told him to play more like this, but I doubt it. If he has then it is an awful tactical mistake from him.

• 12 woolerbill // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Sissoko must listen to Par dew, we can beat anyone on our day. Well he has done himself no favour there. Par dew is not the only idiot in the team. Must have been brainwashed because he was soaring goals.

• 13 Rotonda heights // Apr 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM

low fell mag

Is that really the best you can do as way of an insult call someone a mackem. Pathetic lad.

Try reading through the whole bit before running your mouth. Pardew’s record doesn’t stand comparison to di Matteo whichever way you try and dress it up.

Anyone can win a tournament over a few games. It may have escaped you we are 3 points above the drop zone with a team that completely surrendered at the weekend without any heart or shots in anger.

Yes I would take any ”footballing”, attacking manager over the dross we see every match. Pardew’s already reduced Sissoko and goofy from looking like potential world beaters to looking like shattered, worn out shadows of what they were when they first appeared.

I love NUFC and have done for 51 years but it breaks my heart when I see what we could be with the players we now have under a good tactical manager.

• 14 hatem786 // Apr 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM

TIOTE IS TIOTE..he will NOT be sold..u guys changes ur mind like TIOTE changes hi pants…u guys should support the TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 15 true toon // Apr 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I am happy that we reached the QF stage. I will take a 2 Nil defeat by Benfica any day.

• 16 Black and White Blood // Apr 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM

@woolerbill

Yes, he was probably inspired to say that having been a key player in our win over Chelsea. Probably best to drop the insults until you can learn to spell though mate.

• 17 tooninspain // Apr 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM

There are too many children on here. Stop the bloody nit-picking. Just because people make a spelling mistake doesn’t make them idiots.

• 18 gazzaforever // Apr 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Beating any side? Yeah we saw that last week. Pls stop putting sissoko CAM, it s not his position and will never be.

• 19 Black and White Blood // Apr 3, 2013 at 2:19 PM

@Tooninspain

Feel you’ve missed my point. I was trying to suggest a little more moderation rather than calling people idiots which, incidentally, I didn’t. But thanks for calling me a child. The hypocrisy is greatly
    appreciated.

• 20 tooninspain // Apr 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM

No problem laddie.

• 21 Black and White Blood // Apr 3, 2013 at 4:47 PM

• 22 low fell mag // Apr 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Dear mr rotanda heights ,or whatever you call yourself,,today was the first time i have left a comment on this blog .I have just discovered this nufc blog site about 6 months ago and have thoroughly enjoyed reading every ones opinions @comments.Iam not great with computers and e,mails as iam also a 51 yearold but you have made me put pen to paper because i think you are a sunderland fan with the crap you come out with

previous post: Benfica One Of The Best Sides In Europe – Pardew