The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

No Worries About Newcastle Being Relegated – It’s Official

10:56 am, Wednesday, April 3rd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

Alan Shearer has been interviewed in the Journal today, and he thinks Newcastle are just too good to be relegated – but isn’t that what people were telling us four years ago – before we were relegated?

alan shearer close up 2012

Alan Shearer -feels better after 5 Frenchmen brought in

The answer is yes, and until we have the points in the bag that will see us stay in the Premier League we’ll still be uneasy because anything can happen in the Premier League, especially in the last crucial games at the business end of the season.

This is what Alan said today:

“The additions made in January have made all the difference and these days I expect them to win most games they play.” “They have impressed, while I’m a huge fan of Cabaye. I think he is an excellent player”

“If they can steer clear of any more injuries, then they definitely have a chance.” “I have no worries about Newcastle being relegated. I did before they signed those players in January.”

“Up until then, it was going to be a long, hard season but now the squad’s been strengthened – and not just strengthened but extra quality has been brought in – I think they will be fine now and even have a chance of being successful.”

Let’s not get into any false sense of security – we are only 3 points above the drop zone and need to start winning games – we think we’ll need 40 points or more this season to be safe, so winning our two home games against Fulham and Sunderland will see us almost there – two wins there would be a huge relief.

We remember four years ago when we would lose, and then two or three players would be interviewed the next week, and tell the fans not to worry, and that we’ll win our next game, and then we’d lose again – and so it went on – and on – until we lost the last game at Aston Villa and we were doomed – and we don’t want to go through that experience – ever again.

But until we have 40 points or more, let’s not tell ourselves everything is fine – it isn’t – and we still have to produce the goods - which we didn’t do four years ago.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Alan Shearer · Newcastle News · Premier League

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 hatem786 // Apr 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM

TOON TOON TOON TOON:)

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM

We are 3 points above the drop. Of course we aren’t safe Alan. Pardew said we were a few weeks ago, and we were in a better position, and look how that has backfired. Wigan are hitting form, potential for a Di Canio honeymoon period, means we are right in the mix. It is up to us to get ourselves out, and while I think we will, to say we are currently safe is just drivel.

• 3 martoon // Apr 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Hard to take from the man who took us down. Don’t get me wrong I loved Al as a player but don’t rate him as a manager or pundit.

• 4 mindshaft // Apr 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Definitely not safe, a loss at hom to Fulham and a draw against a Canio rejuvenated mackem side would see us right in the mire

Difficult to see us getting anything tomorrow night as we are badly struggling to score goals, hopefully Sissoko, Cabaye or Cisse can rise to the occasion and nick an away goal ( as long as they don’t score a hatful )

• 5 mindshaft // Apr 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM

@martoon – totally agree, Shearer offers little insight as a pundit and barely knows anything about players other than the old England guard – the less said about his management style the better but it did remind me of Grahame Souness !

• 6 pawl250 // Apr 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM

We wont be relegated, call me arrogant but we have too much quality.

I expected to lose against City, 2 players cost the entire of our squad, and probably have the wages to cover our entire starting 11!

We have alot more promising fixtures, and at home. Away has been our Achilles heal this season, even picking up 3-4 more wins away from home would have seen us in the top half!

I think we will be fine, a win against Fulham should put more teams between us and the bottom 3. Only 1 place is up for grabs, and Wigan, Sunderland and Villa all have more potential of falling into that, we also have a better goals difference than Wigan/Villa. And Wigan have been lucky, and I mean lucky!

No red cards, handballs, its just going their way. We will be fine, we really should focus on EL unless it gets really serious perhaps no wins after Mackems would be worrying, but I think 6 points will see us safe. I suspect we will get atleast 3-4 in our next 2 leaving 1 win in 5, surely manageable!

• 7 ichrisho // Apr 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM

What the hell would Shearer know… even though he is my footballing god of the Toon – He shouldnt way in here with that… The lads at the toon think all is dandy… I would gladly give up the EURO league and its 4p win bonus and concentrate on getting three wins fromm the last games… no matter how you dress it up… from last season its been 2 steps forward and 3 steps back…

• 8 JAMSHA // Apr 3, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I Dnt Care Bout Europa… We lose Or Win Doesnt Matter… All I Want Us To Be In EPL Nxt Season..

• 9 ichrisho // Apr 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Also if Obertan plays tomorrow night – I am gonna be funkin’ mental with rage… I have never and i mean NEVER seen such a poor player play top flight football and we all go on about Xisco – he didnt get a chance – Obertan is wheeled out every big game… he scored 2 euro goals – so what anyone would have scored them… he was free – one on one… I cannot believe that he will still be here next season… Pardew is only being stubborn with him as it was his 3m spend…

• 10 ronjohno // Apr 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM

ICHRISHO

you are spot on there – I bet Carr had nothing to do with that signing.

• 11 terencelim // Apr 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM

@martoon oh that’s too bad as AP’s record of winning rate isn’t any better and he has more experience than bringing a team down than winning a cup.

• 12 afrogeordie2000 // Apr 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM

@pawl1250

I’m afraid I am going to have to call you arrogant. Unfortunately with the position we are in we need to win games and right now we’re losing them.

We have lost the joint second most amount of games in the league this season, 16 defeats. We’re struggling to score goals and we’re only 3 points away from the relegation places.

Fulham at home is the biggest game of the season. If we don’t win there the pressure to have to potentially go and beat Benfica at home a few days before a potentially rejuvenated Sunderland maybe too much for us.

Add the fact that we have a manager with a poor management record in these situations….

Fulham is the big game. The key game. No good picking up a result against Benfica only to get beat on Sunday.

I am unfortunately of the disposition that Pardew should be relieved of his role this summer unless he delivers safety in the Premier League and a Europa League win.

We have not moved forward this season. Of course there’s been injuries and lack of signings, but, the football has been dire. That is something he can control and we’ve been poor all season. We are not safe.

• 13 MosesNUFC // Apr 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I mainly agree with shearer, if you look at our home form since the 5 new signings, we’ve won every single game, but we seem to be doing a man united first half of our season. Although our away form has been disgusting, even with the new signings. Ok, we should of got a point at wigan and maybe at spurs if it wasn’t for bale. Man city, we let them come at us, and that’s what you shouldn’t do at the etihad. As soon as i knew we weren’t putting any pressure on them, i knew we were gonna get torn apart. Sissoko and tiote needs to be the ones sitting deep, with tiote anchoring the midfield and sissoko driving forward, this way will give cabaye a lot more freedom. All though tiote has been poor, he has incredible strength, and pardew just needs to tell him just sit back in front of the back four. Maybe sometimes give support, but he’s done that too much and we’ve been caught coz he thinks he’s messi.
    This should be the line-up for benfica:
    ————————Elliot———————–
    Simpson—Taylor————-Perch—M’biwa
    ————-Sissoko———-Anita—————
    Jonas—————-Cabaye———-Marveaux
    ———————–Cisse————————-
    Line up for fulham:
    ————————Krul———————–
    Anita——–Taylor———M’biwa—-Santon
    —————-Sissoko—–Tiote—————-
    Jonas—————-Cabaye————Gouffran
    ————————-Cisse———————

When we lost 2-1 at home to reading, cisse got the best support all season from cabaye. But as long as we step up our defensive efforts and be a bit more imaginative in attacking, we should beat fulham and sunderland, and that should regenerate our confidence and hopefully go through to the semi’s of europa league, and it sounds strange to say this, but get away wins against QPR and west ham but they will both be tough games. Its easier said than done though to beat fulham, they don’t seem as stubborn in defence away from home but they tend to score goals. And sunderland will be underdogs for the derby and will get 10 men behind the ball and counter.

If pardew does what i’ve just explained then i can see our results going like this, bearing in mind our home form is solid but our away form is still a bit dodgy.

NEW 2-1 FUL
    NEW 2-0 SUN
    WBA 2-1 NEW
    NEW 1-0 LIV
    WHU 1-3 NEW
    QPR 2-2 NEW
    NEW 1-1 ARL
    But, if we do lose the derby, and don’t pick up our away form and finish 14th or lower, then i can see pardew being sacked. But if the list of results above do happen, then we’ve got a high chance of getting 10th. I do not fear relegation, i am confident that under pardew we will avoid it, and hopefully don’t get as many injuries in our last 7 games, and get as high up the table as we can.
    P.S I’m a new blogger :/

• 14 chuck // Apr 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Yes of course we are safe, did’nt our manager already tell us that.
    There was also no way we were going to be relegated last time either.
    We were obviously too good.
    And an additional guarantee from the guy who got us relegated is not much comfort.
    It all depends on two things, the type of football we play and confidence.
    If we resign ourselves to play a defensive game as we did against Citeh, forget about it !
    We are most successful playing an attacking game with pace and technique, not sitting back and inviting the opposition to attack us.
    Thats Pardews game, defense and look where it got us against Citeh, we even allowed them to walk into the box, dreadfull !
    We have to employ a high line, making it difficult for the opposition to bring the ball up and possibly intercept the ball in their end or force them into hoofing a 50/50 ball.
    And i certainly would’nt start counting on survival untill it happens, or not..

• 15 ginola_tonic // Apr 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM

We are going to the last day again. Can’t see us beating fulham. Draw against Sunderland. Honestly just can’t see us being safe. Hope I’m proven wrong. Always negative tactics from AP. and I wish obertan would just die or get ACL injury. Biggest waste of space I’ve ever seen. Makes my blood boil. Who have we got who’s honestly world class? Maybe cabaye on a good day. Last season was just a fluke. Get Pardew out. Excuses excuses. Press interviews load of bs. Now he saying benfica are a good side , like he knows we are going to lose so get my excuses in early. . Of course they are a good side Motivate your players to do something. Also this rubbish it’s hard playing two games in a week. Run around for 90 mins. Oh no I’m really tired. Wtf. You’re on thousands a week. Do some work. Should bring in pay as you play. Soon have players off the injury table. My toe nail hurts I can’t play. No money for you this week then. At the end of the day it’s all AP fault. Simple. Cockroach of a manager.

• 16 Dingo†® // Apr 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I have a horrible feeling that we are going to see

‘MASSIVE CLEARANCE SALE – 70% off all Sports Direct Players’ on a pitch hoarding come the summer.

2 wins doesn’t seem like a lot, but its not just us that are at the business end of the season…. Alan and others on this blog talk about ‘that on paper we are too good to go down’ but couldn’t the same could be said about QPR?

I, like other fans dream of success as well as safety, but talking about being safe, before we are safe seems like the kiss of death to me.

HWTL