The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – It’s Not Mission Impossible For Magpies

11:57 pm, Wednesday, April 3rd, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 49 Comments

It seems that the Portuguese press have written off Newcastle’s chances of beating Benfica in the quarter finals of the Europa League, and there’s no doubt that Benfica are the team in form.

alan pardew - in lisbon

Alan Pardew at Estádio da Luz – Stadium of Light
But the Newcastle manager Alan Pardew does not believe that Newcastle’s task is mission impossible, and the Londoner still thinks Newcastle can make headway through to the final four of the competition.

This is what the Newcastle manager has said to the press in Portugal on Wednesday

‘Mission impossible? There is never a mission impossible,’ Pardew said. ‘But we know it is a tough ask. And we know we can get a result. We need to give ourselves a chance for Thursday week and the return at St James’ Park.

‘It’s a big test for us because I think when you play a team who are such a roll as Benfica are, it’s always difficult. They have great momentum and that confidence breeds it’s own success. It’s a difficult game for us, we’re under no illusions about that.

‘I think that at St James’ Park we can beat anybody. We have no doubt about that game: we can beat Benfica at St James’ Park. This is the decider in terms of how difficult that’s going to be.

‘We need to put on a performance where we can take something back to St James’ Park to give us a chance. I think it’s going to be very, very difficult to beat Benfica full stop, really, in both ties. We certainly need to give ourselves a chance.

‘Looking at the quality of them, and the fact that they are a Champions League team this year and are already confirmed for next year, I think you have to say they would certainly be a top eight or ten team in the Premier League.’

There’s no doubt it’s going to be a tough game at the Estádio da Luz (translated from Portuguese as the Stadium of Light – sound familiar?) for our lads, but we have to hope that Newcastle can stay in the tie tomorrow night, and certainly a goal will help.

And it may be a good thing that Newcastle are underdogs – after all we thought we could get something at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday, and Newcastle now have something to prove – that they are indeed a good team.

Let’s hope they surprise us on the positive side on Thursday night.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Premier League

49 responses so far ↓

• 1 NobbyNolano // Apr 4, 2013 at 12:15 AM

We’ve got to get our head down, both in the league and in europe. A score draw and a win against Fulham please!

• 2 jayphoto // Apr 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM

followed Indy Kaila for bout a year on twitter! He’s not just another ITK, he’s a journalist with really deep contacts! Its rare he’s wrong, he called Van Persie to Man Utd months before even the end of last season! Not big on following twitter gossip but this guy is more credible than most!

• 3 ShadowsNGB // Apr 4, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Jorge Jesus, Benfica’s coach, didn´t like the phrase: “I think you have to say they would certainly be a top eight or ten team in the Premier League.” Neither most of the Benfica fans.
    He replied:
    “In terms of budget perhaps, but in terms of value that is not what the past has shown. Neither Benfica nor Portuguese teams that have played in the Champions League. Benfica and FC Porto have not caught the Newcastle in Champions League , but larger teams and some of these teams have been eliminated. Last year we have eliminated Manchester United, I do not know which place is in or if fits in those top eight or ten teams.”

• 4 jayphoto // Apr 4, 2013 at 12:24 AM

On Rafa Benitez – remember reading an article on Benitez by i think Guillem Balague? who said that Benitez’ problems stem from how poor he is in the transfer market! Every bit of success he’s had has come from managing clubs essentially with either a D of F buying his players (valencia) or with another managers squad of players (like at liverpool). Its when he’s given license to sign his own players that things turn down for him, like in the later years at liverpool and at Inter Milan! If Benitez is willing to come in and manage players chosen by Graham Carr as Pardew has done then I think he’d be a massive success, he’s had a raw deal at chelsea and he’s a much better manager than they make him out to be!
    Not advocating getting rid of Pardew, i’ll be happy enough if we start next season with him in charge although it is increasingly worrying that even with the new signings we don’t look like world beaters right now, just a benitez with a point to prove wouldn’t be the worse appointment if MA and DL pull the trigger!

• 5 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Think we will win 2 – 1 2moro we will be a hell of a lot better than the City game if we press them and harry them off the ball they will not like it

On the Benitez situation he probably would be an upgrade on Pardew but he also has the ability to ruin the dressing room and always wants a lot of cash

A young hungry manager who would want to test himself in the premiership would be ideal if we were looking to get rid like a Frank De Boer type who has a track record of working with youngsters, playing good football and winning things!

Would also love Pardew to turn it around as well especially if he won the Europa and then got to sign another 3 or 4 1st team players to give the league a right good go next season

• 6 NUFC_LEAZES END // Apr 4, 2013 at 12:37 AM

easily would be top 6 team, miles better than Liverpool and arsenal and everton

• 7 El Sleeve // Apr 4, 2013 at 12:57 AM

interesting article on the guardian about how teams should scout their managers like they scout their players.

if benitez comes, lord help us, he’s another pardew, overconfident and arrogant and not very good.

defo need to be looking at the 40 – 46 year old category for managers, someone like Laudrup would’ve been amazing for us. Frank de Boer, another. why doesnt ashley ask carr to suss out managers with a good laying style? seems extremely logical

who else? let’s compile a list

• 8 JAMSHA // Apr 4, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Benfica Vs Newcastle FULL Match Repeat On Tenaction India at 2:30 am

Gn Peepz.. Howays

• 9 JAMSHA // Apr 4, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Frank Rijkaard

• 10 jayphoto // Apr 4, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Sammi Hyppia! playing great football at Leverkusen!
    Miroslav Djukic, Thomas Tuchal, Christian Streich, Luis Garcia Plaza, Stojkovic!
    Stojkovic would be my top choice though, going to be a really good european manager one day!

• 11 toontillidie // Apr 4, 2013 at 1:25 AM

anyone got any idea of possible line up against benfica?

• 12 t00ntime // Apr 4, 2013 at 1:42 AM

i like pardew and i dont mind if he stays, but if we get rid of him for benitez dont think we wont get bargains anymore. Carr (and other scouts) compile lists of players, the manager then shortens the list then MA and DL do their job. Benitez would get the same list as AP and its down to his judgement. and i’m guessing it wont be bad considering his exprience.

• 13 t00ntime // Apr 4, 2013 at 1:44 AM

@toontillidie we brought all the normal players so i guess same as vs anzhi+krul.

4-2-3-1
    krul;
    simmo, mbiwa, Staylor, Santon;
    cabaye, perch;
    jonas, sissoko, marv;
    cisse

• 14 Tommyy // Apr 4, 2013 at 2:20 AM

I’d welcome Benitez over Pardew any day, he’s a class A manager. Been at loads of top clubs and won trophies! Never going to happen though, unless Ashley is being really ambitious. I’d love to see Benitez and Pardew working together, Pardew as man manager and general management and Benitez as tactician and coaching.
    Could be formidable, but then again they’re both proud and strong characters who many not be suited to work as a partnership where neither is in charge.

• 15 true toon // Apr 4, 2013 at 4:29 AM

I’ve said it time and time again.. With AP in charge , we will NOT WIN anything at all . NUFC have reached the end of it’s road under AP.

Benfica 2 0 NUFC
    NUFC 0 1 Benfica.

Benitez > AP

HTL !

• 16 roshan MAGPIE // Apr 4, 2013 at 5:16 AM

since there are rumours that Jose mourinho will come back to chelsea how about Kevin keegan coming back to nufc

• 17 Guj NUFC // Apr 4, 2013 at 5:17 AM

Benfica 20 wins, 4 draws, 0 losses in their league.
    Scored 102 goals in all competitions this season.

There’s always hope :)

• 18 Dingo†® // Apr 4, 2013 at 5:20 AM

it might not me mission impossible, more likely mission improbable

this message will self destruct when combined with silverware

• 19 Guj NUFC // Apr 4, 2013 at 5:29 AM

What happens if we reach the semi’s, beat Fulham and the mackems in the next couple of weeks and move onto 39 points. Will there still be people calling for Pardews head? It could all look very different in a couple of weeks. That’s all it takes. I look back at where we started crumbling before Christmas, we lost 0-1 to West Ham at home, then 0-2 to Swansea at home (someone correct me if I’m wrong). Would have been a completely different season if we hadn’t lost them 2 games IMO. Who knows we might go on a run after these next 2 home games.

• 20 Troy Stavers // Apr 4, 2013 at 6:13 AM

I recall the Toon were real underdogs in 1969 and qualified for the Uefa Cup (inter city fairs cup) by the back door.

They qualified because newcastle had an airport (true- it was one of the criteria to qualify).

We were 10th in the first division and against all odds we won the cup.

Other coincidences were we played in black n white stripes, our home games were played at St James Park and the ball they used was round.

Too many similarities for me! Spooky! :-D

• 21 cyprus // Apr 4, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Been reading up on articles and posts I missed. Let’s see:
    On the fascist not racist thing. What dross. It’s like the saying ‘I hate blacks and racism’. So many posters here don’t get it that sport has managed to REDUCE racism, to its credit. You don’t just shrug it off…
    On Shearer’s comments, regarding relegation threat: Noooo… Great footballer, terrible coach, as Jowey once said.
    On Sissoko claims that we can beat anyone: Well someone else said it. We can also be beaten by anyone.
    On some people singling out Tiote as a scapegoat: You are joking, I get it!

• 22 cyprus // Apr 4, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Looked up Benfica, and I have some good news from a month ago!! It’s here.

For those who can’t bother to go there here is the excellent headline:

“JESUS RESIGNS AS BENFICA MANAGER.”

• 23 jimmysmith // Apr 4, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Benfica is a big fish in a small pond and their league is pants.

They have greater European experience, that’s a genuine advantage, even so, I fancy our chances over two legs against them trumped up Portugeezer’s……..game on.

Go Toon go, go you good things!!!!!!!

• 24 Dingo†® // Apr 4, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Read this exert from Alan Pardew in the sun

“Benfica this year have not had too many problems. It’s been a pretty successful ship that has sailed at a nice pace. They have been absolutely brilliant but we hope to put a spoke in their wheels.”

Does he realise that ships don’t have wheels and most wheels already have spokes

Just saying thats all

0_o

• 25 Transfer Sage // Apr 4, 2013 at 7:55 AM

cyprus

My comment on fascism was that out and out fascists will be racist and hold those values.

Di Canio, has said he isn’t racist as well as not fascist now, but you can partly like the ideals of something without liking all views, especially the extreme ones.

Politics isn’t always black and white, you can adopt certain aspects of different views…whether you adopt the good or bad ones is different to each person.

• 26 DURhamTOON // Apr 4, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Hi everyone this is a survey for my friends uni project. He’s collecting information on the effect that marketing has on football fans behaviour towards buying match tickets/club merchandise. Thank you in advance to everyone that fills it in!

Ed a response from you is compulsory!!!

• 27 darrenfletcher88 // Apr 4, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Dreading tonight,sorry to say this but we will get a lesson in European footy tonight!! 3-0,4-0,move onto Sunday quickly!!

• 28 DURhamTOON // Apr 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Howay the lads!! I’ve got my ticket for the home leg, I think same result as the anzhi game but score draw tonight then 1-0 at home!! Think positive and keep the dream alive, 40,000 Geordies in Amsterdam!!!!!!

• 29 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Yo Yo,
    From Yesterday.

Re Carver, he coached me for 5 years at the Benton training ground, up until I ripped the ligaments in my ankle at 16. A few lads went on to play at lower level stuff, but none made it through at the club. I would never have made pro I don’t think, but the ripping of ligaments in my ankle, and then doing something similar, but not as severe in my knee a few months after getting fit sort of killed off any hope. I like to say I would have made it if it weren’t for injuries, but in all honesty I was never good enough! Anyway, from that I ended up doing some scouting for a company called the Scouting Network, which meant I spent a lot of time watching reserves/U18s/U16s at Newcastle, Sunderland and Boro.

Carver seemed to be fast tracked to Bobbys assistant more out of necessity than being the best man for the job, and I think that is why he came back, as a steady hand who knows the club inside out. He is a top bloke, but I’m not sure that he is a good enough coach to be working with and improving players like Cabaye, Colo, Tiote. On the other hand, his spirit and love for the club will filter through and motivate players and show what this club means to geordies.

I don’t know Steve Stone, only that he has never coached prior to working at Newcastle, and didn’t spend long with the kids or reserves before becoming first team coach.

Beardsley had all the ability as a player, both in his feet and in his mind, but I sometimes wonder if he struggles to teach it to others. He was born with that, and that can be frustrating as a coach when things that come naturally to you and you can’t understand how someone else just doesn’t get it. I think that was partly the cause of the falling out he had a few years back.

I wouldn’t rate any of the current staff as top class coaches. (I’m unsure on Woodman, he was left a great group by Paul Barron)

I completely agree, and have been saying this for years, that the entire coaching set up needs restructuring. I would like Carver to stay, but we need more technical and tactical coaches at the club, as well as ones who can better analyse how to help youngsters develop and progress.

• 30 Transfer Sage // Apr 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM

A new coaching set up should be considered especially with us now having grade 1 academy status, get the best available people, no room for sentiment in employing ex players i don’t think.

Need to look around europe at the clubs that produce the best youngsters, ajax, barcelona, etc etc and see what we can learn from their set up and how they produce players.

• 31 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 4, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Lilongwe Geordie
    Interesting posting – agree with gifted players making managers coaches. a lot of gifted players have tried and failed at being coaches/managers – take the late Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton from the World Cup winning team and I think the late great George Best also had a go.
    Paul Gascoigne would make a excellent coach if he could teach/learn players on his skills – but I doubt it, his skills came naturally – something in the wiring of the brain.
    But I’m sure that someone somewhere could coach our players to pass and move.

My biggest hang up with the toon is once they have passed the ball they seem to stand still or go backwards so the ball inevitably goes backwards usually to the keeper who hoofs it upfield.

Also or full backs rarely come short and wide to pick the ball up from our keeper at goal kicks roll outs

• 32 Transfer Sage // Apr 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM

charlie

that issue with fullbacks must be down to the coach and what he wants. Not bashing pardew here, just what i have seen.

Look at liverpool this year, rogers had them do it from game 1 in charge. They might have made mistakes doing it but it’s starting to improve.

• 33 chris_g // Apr 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Transfer Sage // Apr 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM

????

Premier League say no decision made on #Nufc Academy status after reportedly failing appeal to get category 1. Audit not due until April.
    @CaulkinTheTimes Jan 25, 2013 16:49:16 GMT

• 34 Transfer Sage // Apr 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM

chris g

my mistake, somebody mentioned a few months ago we had it so presumed we must have.

• 35 @timuJ // Apr 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM

that nufcfans twitter makes me cringe!

nearly as daft as some of the nutters on here

• 36 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Transfer Sage
    Deffo – Something in the coaching.
    Maybe coaches, manager is frightened we loose the ball in our half.
    If so has no confidence in our full backs.

Because once the ball is hoofed long it becomes a fifty fifty ball.

• 37 Transfer Sage // Apr 4, 2013 at 9:03 AM

charlie

i would say much less that 50/50 with only cisse up to, and the fact even if he wins it he has little support around him as we are quite deep.

our fullbacks now should both me more than capable of playing it out from the back though.

Hopefully Pardew will change things up during the summer break and we have a more fluid style for next year. Maybe he just doesn’t want to change too much mid season…thats all I can think of as to why

• 38 nonameslb // Apr 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Hello everyone, I’m sorry to tell you this but it’s bad news for all of you Magpies cos there’s no way NUFC will beat the mighty SPORT LISBOA E BENFICA, the difference in quality is just abismal and after listening Pardew saying SLB would in 10th or 8th place if we played in the Premiership all I have to say is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. SLB is just has good has any manchester side or chelsea and arsenal. Anyway to any of you that had the pleasure to travel to Lisboa, have a nice time there, people are really friendly, the beer is cheap :) and SLB ground is beautiful so good luck, you are gonna need it!!!

• 39 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Charlie,

I agree, too often we seem to be static after passing the ball. I’m not sure why this is as these players have done this at their previous clubs. Is it just that they are lacklustre, or is it because they have gone backwards since joining the club?

I’m not sure on this, but for a club that does produce some talented youngsters not enough improve. For example, I know when we were in the Championship, 3 league 1 clubs were interested in taking Conor Newton on loan, but the club said they didn’t want to loan out young players. I watched Conor last year when I was back in the UK briefly, and he hadn’t improved at all. This is something which has to change. At 18, a loan to a club where they get real match experience will improve them more than 3 years of reserve/academy football.

• 40 ichrisho // Apr 4, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Morning gents – All happy and positive for a quality match? Cisse is gonna get some space tonight I hope… Do we think Krul should play?

• 41 Transfer Sage // Apr 4, 2013 at 9:35 AM

lilongwe

Yeh, reserve football does nothing for players. They are playing with either players not good enough, players who have been dropped as punishment, players who are coming back from injury and just generally in a lower tempo, non competitive game.

A spell in league 1 or the championship is ideal, a year or two playing at that level gets them used to professional standards and intensity and amount of games that will be played.

I’d like to see more players on loan, sammy and fergie will come back better, whether its enough or not I’m not sure, but it will improve them.

• 42 Transfer Sage // Apr 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM

ichrisho

I’d only play him if he is match ready….fitness obviously has to be there but being fit and being fully match ready is different…will be have the extra 5/10% he needs to pull off those top class saves he can?

we need our keeper to be firing on all cylinders tonight with the way benfica will attack. if krul hasn’t look at his 100% i’d probably stick with elliott.

• 43 ichrisho // Apr 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Morning Sage
    Where we gonna put Fergie and Sammy in this curreent squad – I dont see them getting a game for a good few years yet…

• 44 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Sage,

For me, this loan is too little too late for both Sammi and Fergie. At this age, I would expect that these loans will bring them on as players but probably not sufficiently to contest for first team next year, particularly if we strengthen. In which case do we plug on?

We could do with allowing Campbell, Streete and Mbabu all out on loan next year, and probably one or 2 other promising kids around 18yrs.

• 45 ichrisho // Apr 4, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Sensible approach Sage – You should be in that new backroom team we were nattering on about.. :) I would like to see Elliott getting his chance… although he makes one mistake and its back to Krul – thats a tad harsh but lets hope it makes Elliott concentrate more…

• 46 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 4, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Transfer Sage
    Passing the ball to the full backs also brings the opposition out leaving gaps in behind to pass to – and if they do not come out and close our full backs down they can carry the ball into the opposition half.

ALSO – watch our goal kicks it makes me laugh gets on my wick.

All out field players – 20 of them will all be standing in one quarter of the pitch waiting for the kick – drives me NUTS

• 47 stuart no9 // Apr 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM

there are 2 reasons why we will not win tonight.
    the first is pards will not play that sort of game. there is no doubt he will go for a draw, when teams set out to defend they normally get beat ( man city comes to mind) pards hasnt the courage to go for the win. second, if we did attack who is going to score the goals?. If we are lucky we will get 2maybe 3 chances we will have to score with them . benfica will score 3. Pards knows after saturday result that we will not go any further. i think its time to concentrate on the the league, that is much much more important.

• 48 ichrisho // Apr 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Mission Impossible eh!!! … thats a tad harsh by the Portuguese press… asking for a surprise are they? Mon’ Shola…. :)

• 49 ichrisho // Apr 4, 2013 at 9:51 AM

SWAP Deal is always being chatted about…. would we? Swap BEN10 for Carroll?

previous post: Tim Krul To Start – Newcastle To Attack Benfica