Tim Krul To Start – Newcastle To Attack Benfica

Benfica are having a fantastic season and they are top pf the Portuguese League and unbeaten in their 24 games, of which they have won a massive 20, and they have won their last five league games.  scored 15 goals in their last three games and conceded one.

tim krul danny simpson

Krul after his last game – at Metalist Karkhiv – where he was brilliant

The famous Lisbon side are coming off a 6-1 homes win against Rio Ave, whereas Newcastle are coming of one of their worst performances of the season, a 4-0 on the road hammering at Manchester City.

So conventional wisdom would seem to favor the home side tomorrow night, but you never know with Newcastle, especially when our lads have something to prove, which they do after Saturday’s demolition.

Celtic played Benfica in the group stages of the Champions League earlier in the season, and they did quire well drawing 0-0 at home and only losing 2-1 away at the Estádio da Luz, which has a capacity of over 65,000.

So it seems Celtic manager Neil Lennon has been a good source of information for Alan Pardew and his coaching staff about Benfica.

This is what the Newcastle manager said today:

“We have good contacts regarding this team. I know this city quite well and I have some contacts here who know Benfica well. There is also Neil Lennon who we have been in contact with. I think it is important to get as much information as you can – as I’m sure Benfica have done with us.”

“It is a big test for us because I think with any team that is on such a roll as Benfica, it is going to be difficult,” “They have great momentum and that confidence breeds its own success. But I think at St James’ Park we can beat anybody – we have no doubt about that game.”

“Here, we need to put on a performance so we can take something back to give us a chance in the second leg.” “It will be difficult to contain them if we come here just to defend. I think both teams are good in possession and therefore, that will be a key element.”

The good news is that Benfica have been beaten at home in the Champions League this season – by Barcelona – so that should give Newcastle some hope – maybe. 😀

But Newcastle have quite a strong squad  in Portugal, with only Cheick Tiote and Massadio Haidara not in the squad who were expected to travel.

But they could both be ready for the  Premier League home game against Fulham on Sunday, which is an important game.

We expect Newcastle to attack Benfica tomorrow night, at least on the break, and we cannot just defend against such an excellent attacking team, and we need to keep them honest at the back.

Tim Krul will definitely start tomorrow night, as that’s what the manager has been telling the traveling reporters, even after Rob has played so well in Tim’s absence, and was our Man of the Match on Saturday with 40% of the vote.

And we also expect Davide Santon to start – and so that’s a couple of players Pardew has back after Saturday’s defeat, and Sylvain Marveaux could also start, after recovering form a slight groin injury.

It should be a good game tomorrow night, but Newcastle will have to be somewhere near their best to get anything out of this first leg, and of course an away goal would be good.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Benfica?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• NobbyNolano

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I think Krul should play in Europe but that Elliot deserves to keep his place in the Prem.

• 89Norcal

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM

“The good news is that Benfica have been beaten at home in the Champions League this season – by Barcelona – so that should give Newcastle some hope – maybe. ”

Never know, Jonas could go into Messi-mode

• ToonDownSouth

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Well if Barcelona can do it then so can we.

We’re basically the Barcelona of the PL anyway.

• Munster Mag

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM

If you think Pardew will attack Benfica you are quite mad.

• WWYCD

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Oh it’s all getting a little bit exciting isn’t it

• north_country_boy

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM

As usual Sky have forgotten about us again….just watched the start of Sky Sports News at 9pm – host says “…the Europa League is dominated by English teams and we’ll have team news from Spurs and Chelsea before their quarter finals” – er hello!!!??? There maybe someone else you’ve forgotten there!!!

• ToonDownSouth

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Happily take a 0-0 or a 1-1. In fact I’d be bloody happy with it.

I’d like us to keep a clean sheet and set that record though – it’s interesting that we’re very good defensively in Europe, but absolutely pants in the league.

• WWYCD

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:10 PM

TDS
    personally I’d prefer a 0-6 drumming but if ur wanting to be a wet 1-1 wouldn’t be bad I suppose 🙂

• 89Norcal

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM

north_country_boy

That’s been the story all along. For all the pride of the English press, they really have dropped the ball in their coverage of Newcastle in Europe.

And in respects to the EPL, it’s all about how we “overachieved” last season. IMO it was all a case of minimal injuries and revelations from a few players like Benny,Tiote and Colo.

• moonraker

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Sorry if this is a stupid request lads but I need desperately 2 tickets for the Mackems match for a good friend. Will pay a decent price for them like! 🙂

• toonicle

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM

TDS- A 1-1 draw would be fantastic, go into the home game at SJP with an away goal under our belt.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Mr Funk @129 previous thread.
    I see that you have posted that you have no association with Ian Toon.
    Previously I would converse on the blog with him in a cordial manner and would refer to him as a lost sheep- (in my guise as Reverend Tuff). I am reminded by Matthew 7.15 :-
    “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves”.
    Have a good evening.

• Novocastrian66

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:22 PM

See Kris Boyd is back in Scotland and has scored for Kilmarnock. Remember a load of people on here a couple of years ago fuming he went to Boro and that we should have signed him. Proved to be a big flop in England. Wonder if they will be back on here saying we should get him? Think not!

• yo-yo

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Boyd is a poacher hence his problems down in England

• leeb1982

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Why do I dread the words- put in a performance or we’ll have a real go at them. Is it because we do neither whenever he spouts this cr4p. Don’t know how a team with the attacking potential we have can be so negative. Ohh hold on a moment…… Pardwho

• Troy Stavers

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:29 PM

@Moonraker

Just sold one for level 7 for £100.

• Novocastrian66

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Just seen an advert on the TV for a product called Plenty Super Strong, which is a kitchen towel. There is a bloke on it who is the spitting double of Paolo Di Canio. God I’m bored.

• nick_9

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM

He means physically attack, Carver is still p****d off about the Wigan game.

• Troy Stavers

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Rumours rife that Benitez is being lined up by Fat Mike! Don’t shoot the messenger. 😉

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:47 PM

@moonraker

would sell u mine, but its invaluable to me mate, I suggest you go on viagogo or whatever its called

• Novocastrian66

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Troy; rumours rife where?

• moonraker

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Troy
    if you hear of a couple I’m interested please mate !

• Fridge

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Troy

Are you serious? I am not sure how i would react to that if it came to that. But he has lots Of experience and he would be motivated to show Chelsea supporters wrong. Way better than what we have at the present thats for sure.

• moonraker

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM

NUFC
    Yeah I’ve been on Viagogo but can’t get 2 together cos some are junior concession tickets and I presume they will only let a junior use it even tho full price from Viagogo !

• Mr Funk

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM

@ MisterTuff post 12

Who are these false prophets?

• Cool Hand Luke

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I cant honestly say i’d be over the moon if the interim one was appointed.

• GeordieToon89

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:04 PM

These Benitez rumours are from Indykaila from twitter, He’s been right with basically every single thing he says since I started following him in the summer… Reckons Benitez is being lined up as we’re unsure as to wether to stick with Pardew… I personally dont think this is true and think he could be wrong this time

• Transfer Sage

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Can’t see that happening at all. Liverpool, inter Milan, Chelsea…all huge clubs who had a lot of money for him.

He’s a good manager and would be an improvement but he isn’t exactly the attacking gung ho manager like keegan a lot seem to want. He rotates and defends and it’s not always pretty.

• nick_9

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Geordietoon89 – that guy said we’re looking at Fernando Torres so I’m not sure what to make

• Troy Stavers

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Apparently its circulating on twitter. Could just be crap.

• GeordieToon89

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM

nick_9 – Yeah I seen that mate but we’ve been interested in Torres since before he went to Liverpool, We agreed everything with A.Madrid and then we went and chose Michael Owen instead because of his past premier league experience grrr!!

• Troy Stavers

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM

He’s definitely a step up from Pards but I don’t believe our low basic wage and high bonus structure would attract him. Plus he would have to balance the books every season which I don’t believe he’s used to.

I’ve ruled him out already. 😉

• Novocastrian66

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I’m not anti Pardew as I think we have had a tough season and it is important to remember he wasn’t exactly backed in the summer with new signings. He could be on borrowed time though. Another season of inertia next year could see him bulleted. He is running out of excuses.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Mr Funk @25.
    You pose the question – “who are these false prophets”.
    A true believer would not need to ask this question. Study the scriptures and you may answer your own question.
    Hallelujah.
    Amen.

• Novocastrian66

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Torres? No way. We’ve moved on from overpriced trophy signings.

• Bambams

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Dont think he would work for ash…..

Dont think ash would admit he was wrong with Pards

I personally think he would be better than Pards, football wise.

imo

• bills-son

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I’m not one of those calling for Pardew’s head but – if he plays a near full strength team tomorrow and again on Sunday and then complains that we lost to Fulham due to tiredness I’m having none of it.

I’d play this team tomorrow:

Elliot
    Simpson Perch Mbiwa Anita
    Obertan Marv Gosling Guti
    Sissoko
    Shola

Mbiwa has the class to stroll through two games in four days and Sissoko has hardly broke sweat in the last three.

I’d save all the other first teamers for Sunday.

No chance of course that Pards will play my team and I hope his team thump Benfica and Fulham – but thats why he is paid to get results and why if he gets it wrong I’m not having the excuses.

• leeb1982

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM

How much more time are people prepared to give pardew. Any lower n where in the fizzy pop

• Transfer Sage

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Sky sports news are reporting Benitez will consider another job in England after he leaves Chelsea.

Won’t be Liverpool, man utd, Chelsea, spurs ot man city so who does that leave?

Arsenal if wenger goes…not sure he will so cant see it.

Then it’s clubs like us, can’t think who else would want him and where he’s join. Possibly Everton if moyes goes?

• Mister Tuff

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I think I’ve got a reasonable explanation for this mystery tweet which includes the word “shock”. Surely this must based on the fact that the tweeter has heard a rumour that we are going to attack Benfica tomorrow night. As Toon fans this would definitely come as a shock.
    I would be highly surprised at this game plan. There is no way Percy will not play it tight – he’ll park the bus. If he doesn’t it will be a shock to me.