The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Davide Santon Angry With Himself – Back Pass Was A Disaster

11:34 pm, Friday, April 5th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

Davide Santon has apologized for his critical mistake in Lisbon on Thursday night,  after Newcastle had held the strong Benfica side well for the first 65 minutes of the game – and then a lackadaisical back pass from the Italian gifted Benfica a vital goal.

davide santon despobnent after benifca 3-1 loss

A despondent Davide Santon at the final whistle on Thursday

And just five minutes later Steven Taylor gifted the Portuguese side another goal,  when he handled the ball in the penalty box, and we were suddenly 3-1 down.

But Davide Santon has admitted his error, and is keen to help Newcastle survive in the Premier League:

“The Europa League is important, but the Premier League is even more important.” “We have to make sure against Fulham, and then against Sunderland next weekend, two games at home, we win them both.”

“We need to make sure we save our season and that we stay in the Premier League.” “But on Thursday [in the return against Benfica] we are not giving up on the Europa League either.”

“We had a lot of chances against Benfica, so it is even more frustrating that we conceded goals like we did.”  “I am feeling angry with myself. I think I had a good game but that pass was a disaster.”

“When I passed the ball, I had Yanga-Mbiwa near me, so I couldn’t see the striker.” “It was really annoying. When I got in the dressing room I said sorry to everybody – to all the players because it was my fault.”

“Now we have to forget this game. I have to forget my mistake and think about Sunday, next week and score two against Benfica.”

This youngster will not go far wrong when he displays the courage of admitting to his mistake,  and apologizing openly to his team mates.

Davide’s a good lad and mistakes happen in football – in life – and he has to learn from that mistake he made in Lisbon and move on.

We need to get all three points against Fulham on Sunday, and they will  be without three or four of their best players on Sunday.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Davide Santon · Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Premier League

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tinman // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Still mad at you though

• 2 Tinman // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Its the Benfica player who blocks his view anyway. If arent sure like he obviously wasnt he should just try and keep it longer and draw a fould or put it out

• 3 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM

That is the problem playing a right footer at left back I’m afraid. A normal LB would have just clubbed it down the line but Santon always seems to turn inside even though he is supposed to be decent on his left peg. If I was Pardew I would get Davide to work on his left foot more in training and tell him if he does not improve Haidara will get a shot.

You need to evolve in this game and Santon is getting very predictable when running at defenders IMO. If I was marking him I would just show him down the line all the time and keep him on his weaker foot. However If he can deliver with both feet he would get a lot more assists and goals. Has anyone seen Santon have a shot or cross with his left ? . I cant recall if he has TBH.

• 4 NUFC_LEAZES END // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:45 PM

@stuartno9

Yeah ‘deaf’ haha. And yeah Taylor will and always does through his body on the line and when you said ‘lets hope he keeps his hands down’. That just reminded me of when he done an amazing save with his hands and got a red card with it. Good times

• 5 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Chin up Davide, mistakes happen.

Where still not out of it yet! Anything is possible at St James.

• 6 OhSholaAmeobi // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:03 AM

he caused the own goal against southampton with a great cross from his left, first time i’d seen him use it. you’re right though, he could double his assists if he was capable of going outside too cos he’s a good crosser.

• 7 true toon // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Top teams would have dropped Santon for the next game. It really shows how far NUFC have fallen away from the rest of the packs.

• 8 veto // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:14 AM

he’s a right back , use him there or further up the pitch i think the lad could do some damage

• 9 Blofal // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:43 AM

I know a lot don’t agree but I would sell Santon this summer. He is an average LB and could develop into a good winger, but there are better LB’s and better wingers out there. We could get good money for him at the moment. Put Haidara at LB. We have Dummett whom I think can fill in adequately when Haidara is not playing. I don’t think Dummet is a massive downgrade from Santon defense wise. And for christ sake lets get us a good winger.

• 10 SpaceGhost // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Get off his back. Yes he made a mistake. A very annoying stupid mistake but he will learn from this. This will stay in his head for a long time. This is called a life experience. Unlike Steven Taylor. The white Titus Bramble. How many times has he given away penalties? I love that he is a Geordie boy & all that jazz but the boy is at best, a younger version of Willo. Full of heart & height and thats about it. He should be 3rd CB till the end of his contract.

• 11 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:45 AM

@10:

I agree with your comments about Santon, he is one of our best players and is still young and still learning but he does,nt deserve half the stick he is getting on here ?
    Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves!

However, i totally disagree with your vieuws and comments about Taylor. But then again one can,t be in agreement with everyone on here and all are entitled to opinions about players and club matters etc!

Is there any news to be won about the injuries? We could do with Debuchy back fit and we always seem to have a more balanced back four with Collo playing !

• 12 S-G // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Love how everyone is going on about hadaira being first choice LB. Just like everyone sed sammy and fergie should be first choice after 2 or 3 good games.

These are young lads who need time to develop not be thrust into the pressure of the 1st team it will ruin them. It will be end of next season begining of 14/15 before hadiara is ready for that responsibility. He was bought as a future star not a current one. He is a cracking little player but stop trying to ruin him the coaches know what they are doing.

and as for stevie taylor being no better than willo, the guy has made a massive difference to our back line since coming back. 2 weeks ago we were all raving about him for england but now he is a championship cb?

• 13 Yorkgeordie // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Would Santon have tried that backpass if Colo had been playing? It seems to me that, in similar situations, Colo makes himself available to take the ball and they play themselves out of trouble. I can’t remember Santon trying too many long passes back to the keeper. He says that Mbiwa was near, I just think if Colo had been near he would have given him the ball.

• 14 S-G // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I actually thought it was not one of mbiwa’s best games for us so far. Donlt want to slate him too much so soon but he got lucky quite a few times with bad touches and losing players i felt

• 15 Yorkgeordie // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM

S-G
    I don’t want to knock him either, he is young and I think he will be good once he has adapted to the prem, however I think we need Colo in the situation we are in and I hope he is near to coming back. It will be interesting to see if Pardew puts him straight back in the team, I think he will.

• 16 Harley // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Jesus, I can only imagine the backlash had it have been Simpson!

• 17 Owldman // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM

A lot of bloggers have joined in the blame game, Santon & Taylor , but not a word of Krull, s failure to catch the ball or punch it clear instead he flapped it down to feet of a Benfica player, the rest we no as history & intead of going to ground after the back pass he should have at least tried to force the player into touch instead he made it easy for him .

• 18 reccerobbo // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Comedy Steven taylor hand ball against villa at home when he went down like he had been shot ha ha about 20 mins after bower and dyer had been sent off for fighting wot forget that match in a while!!!!

• 19 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM

@17:

Now, its not striclty true what you are saying against Krul?

He parried a hard shot, and it was a good reflex save, which i don,t think any Keeper could of caught in the same situation.
    Their player should of been stopped before the shot was made! Watch the highlights again!

• 20 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Oh, you mean with the back pass !

No keeper could of done better, than he did with it?

Yeh, he could of fouled him and given away another Penalty!

previous post: Plea To Fans – Next Few Games Vital For This Football Club