Newcastle 10th In Average League Attendance In Europe

Newcastle United are the 10th best supported club in Europe based on average home attendance — according to German web-site – Stadienwelt.

newcastle fans

Newcastle fans – average home attendance more than 50,000

German clubs are always very well supported, and they have four clubs in the top ten, and to a large extent the size of the stadium is important in the list, and some measure the attendance by the average attendance as a percentage of the capacity of the stadium.

But based on total average attendance Newcastle sit in 10th place in Europe, which is not bad at all, and the increase ion average attendance is also due to the nine year and ten years deals the club have offered over the last couple of years where the season tickets have been frozen for that length of time.

Here are the top 20 positions, and it’s not too surprising that Burussia Dortmund are at the very top.

1. 80,451 Borussia Dortmund
15.46,037 Inter-Milan
16.45,928 Glasgow Rangers
17.45,340 Glasgow Celtic
18.44,885 Feyenoord
19.44,695 Liverpool
20.44,353 Fortuna Dusseldorf

It’s a little surprising that Benfica are not in the list, as they have a beautiful stadium that holds over 65,000, and how come Rangers are in there – being in the fourth tier of Scottish football?

Newcastle have also released excellent financial figures for the financial year through last June, although there was a drop in gate receipts due to the freezing of season ticket prices over the nine and ten year periods.

And it’s also noticeable that Newcastle are always trying to full the stadium at home games, because they know that gives us an advantage over the opposition.

And to think we could do even better if we get that plan  to increase the capacity of St. James’ Park to 60,000 actually executed, but we’d only rise a few places in the above table.

Now we just need to stay in the Premier League this season, and we’ll be in great shape. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• reccerobbo

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Well that doesn’t come as a surprise as we have the best fans in the uk by far!!

• G

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Whilst I know our stadium is large in English terms, I wouldn’t have expected us in the top 20 teams in Europe. Still it’s nice to know we can still attract a big crowd, even when having a stinker of a season.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM

wwycd

That’s the whole tragedy. We have some great ball players recommended by Carr but they don’t suit Pardew’s preferred system. It doesn’t make sense why he bought some of them.

That’s why I said we are so close but so far away. Anita is a full Dutch international and was a star man for Ajax and can’t get a game ahead of Perch. Marveaux is on the bench most of the time, Cabaye is played too deep and Cisse finds himself as a winger in some games.

Ashley never liked Allardyce’s style and maybe Pardew was aware of this and has tried to compromise but doesn’t really know how to.

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

WWYCD

Haha well said. I can never understand it when fans say Pardew likes to buy or will buy big physical players when all he has bought are good technical passing players. Rumors of Liverpool wanting Ben Arfa in a swap deal with Carroll. NO WAY i say

• ichrisho

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

……….”Anita is a full Dutch international and was a star man for Ajax and can’t get a game ahead of Perch. Marveaux is on the bench most of the time, Cabaye is played too deep and Cisse finds himself as a winger in some games……….”

Well said – Problem in a nut-shell with what Pardew is doing recently… the non-use of Anita and also the sparse use of Marv is totally unexplainable… Perch’s yellow card could have been a red plus Cabaye should defo have been booked for his wild tackles.. we need someone to do that job for him… the dirty work..

• lewisnufc

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

8 of 20 teams are german, interesting!

• geordiemark

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM

rotonda

I agree with you there

yes its great being in the top 20 but the bread and butter comes from the premire league and this is a damn sight more important then europe will ever be

am not saying we dont need europe its good being in it but you have to have the good quality players to compete at the highest level and a manager who can also compete is a must just pardew isnt we have found that out this season with his crazy tactics and players playing out of there postions is just plan crazy

• G

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Repost:
    There were rumours at the start of the season that after the end of this season, Pardew would be stepping sideways, and adopting a ‘Director of Football’ type position, and the club would be fetching in a new ‘head-coach’ to work with the first team. Looking at the signings we have made prior to the season beginining, and during the Jan window, I can’t help but wonder if these rumours have any credence to them? I just worry about who that ‘head-coach’ could be? After all, under MA the appointments of managers could have been a bit better eh? Shearer was a risk, JFK was baffling, Hoots was a risk, and AP was, and still is a risk. KK could have went a lot better too!

• WWYCD

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM

9WWYCD // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Rotonda
    So Pards had nothing to do with the incoming player then but now he will take full control and bring in massive lumping players? I sense u haven’t thought this through…or ur just spitting bile with no reasoning behind it. Also Anita the star of Ajax? Really? I don’t recall Ajax selling star men for so little

MUTINY/Slank
    Cheers lads nice to know am not alone in this line of thought

• Rainrix

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I assume marveaux was rested against man city so he could be fresh for yesterday. Which was a bit defeatist for man city i know. Marvs going to be incredibly important for us in the coming games as our creative spark. He was brilliant yesterday when he got the ball and set cisse through twice and could of set him up a 3rd if he got the ball out of his feet properly. He’s been a lot more consistent of late as well which is good as well.

• yo-yo

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Rotonda

Two questions.
    Which big physical players have we brought in in the last two years ?
    Which players we’ve signed are technical skilled players ?

• daztoon

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM

We need wholesale change Manger,Coaches,medical staff etc.Players forever picking up hamstring,groin injuries etc,we look unfit,can’t defend,bar the odd Cabaye free kick we are useless at set pieces weather attacking or defending them.Never get any support to Cisse.lack a fighting spirt for most part,have no leaders on the pitch.Our plan b is stick Shola on.We have players go missing for large parts of games.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM

WWYCD

I sense you’re not really reading through what I and others are saying or are deliberately choosing not too.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Yo yo

I too have been guilty in the past of not reading through something properly.

Please read through what I said properly. I never said he had bought in big players although aren’t Ba, Sissoko and M’Biwa quite big?

I said this summer he may be tempted to as the ball players he has bought don’t fit his system whatever that is. I don ‘t think anyone really knows what that is , least of all Pardew himself.

• Krul to be Kind

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Hello folks,

Been reading the posts for the past 24 hours but was very reluctant to comment because of the rawness felt by last nights bitter 2 goal defeat!

I am very quickly going off Pardew and as most would probably know I always defend him… but no more!

Watching Goofy over recent weeks and his play has gone backwards IMO since he signed, the movement just isn’t there that he brought on his first few games, in fact not just Goofy but Sissoko too, the interchanging that went on in the first few games when the new arrivals came to town was unbelievable and carved teams open, at that time I thought it is only a matter of time for this to really click and someone gets thumped at SJP… but no we have gone backwards!

I am of the impression that Goofy and Sissoko (2 very, very good players) have gone backwards and that has got to do with the coaching and tactics that are implemented, for this there is no one else to blame but Pardew, he has looked totally devoid of ideas and play’s far too safe for my liking.

The more I think of it the good players we had have all went backward under him – with the exception of Santon who is just mosying on regardless, although hasn’t improved much. Tiote, Cisse, Marv, Guti, Sissoko, Goofy and HBA (due to poor usage) have all declined from the footballers that were either brought in or were here on or after Pardew’s arrival. The only player to have improved under him is Perch, which to me is not good enough.

In a nutshell Pardew is increasingly looking devoid of any ideas to change the system and make us play football, he doesn’t take any gambles, for instance we work the wings for the majority of every game and we don’t score from many ‘crosses’, granted we get the odd tap in from a square ball on the by-line in the box but we DO NOT convert wing play, why does he not compact the play a bit more with a 4 man diamond midfield and a front 2 of Cisse and Goofy. We have technical footballers and the off the ball players ala Cisse and Goofy who can convert chances better with build up play through the middle instead of cross it and see then race back to grab positions for the next wave of attack… a blind man can see this, why can’t Pardew.

Thoughts anyone?

This is simply my OPINION, and again those that I have interacted with over the recent year will know I always have defended Pardew but no more, I woke this morning as angry as I was when I went to bed last night at the inane tactics employed by Pardew distinctly lacking any inventiveness, ideas or variation. A coach of the calibre of Jorge Jesus was always going to exploit this!

• yo-yo

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I do like the idea of Pards being General Manager as he has got a lot of good skills with people etc., and he is part of the vision for the club. I also feel he is committed to the Toon. But I do want to see the coaching and tactical side strengthened. We definitely need a first team coach or Assistant Manager who can take on first team duties who can work in the modern style. I don’t know how other team’s models might work for us. We need guys who are top drawer and can work together. The last thing we want is another KK situation.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM

And its why we deserve so much more success. It would be a crying shame for us to be relegated again. Although we would still probably be in the top 5 atenndances in the country again if we were. BEST FANS IN THE WORLD 🙂

• Rotonda heights

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM

yo yo

I would say Anita, Marveaux, Benny, Cabaye, Debuchy were technical players wouldn’t you

• G

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Evidence suggests, that MA has always had the vision in place that management should be a split-tier job? When he brought in KK, he brought in Dangerous Denis to work as ‘Technical Director’ or whatever title he held. I do think its the way ahead, and also rumour has it that AP still owes MA a staggering amount of money, therefore, he won’t be sacked. As RH above also points out, a lot of the players that have come in recently, do not really fit in with a defensive team. As I say, this is all speculation based on rumour, but it’s certainly food for thought.

• ichrisho

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

@Krultobekind – Good name by the way…

I think you are right in what you say but is it Pardew lack of coaching ability or is it the coaching team around him… ??? All I see on NUFC TV is them having a laugh… like the pre-game session in the stadium on Thurs morn and wednesday afternoon – it was all lax and a laugh… There also seems to be some old boys that are getting in the team no matter what… that said Jonas played quite well last night.. It just feels like he is a right or left-back when he should be playing as winger…

• daztoon

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Take HBA twice this season he has made a comeback from a hamstring injury first Fulham away lasted 60 mins then injured for a long spell.Then his comeback game starts on a plastic pitch in sub zero temps.Both times no reserve games to ease him back in just total mis management of a key player.

• Krul to be Kind

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Ichrisho

The coaching is an issue he is 100% responsible for…

do what you always do and get what you always get

this 4231 system we play isn’t working yet but he sticks with it week in and week out, it didn’t work when he played the youth when he had to use them in bulk, but now he has the chance to throw the occasional few mins (Campbell) every other game and he doesn’t take it… many a manager would have blooded this kid by now, I can’t see new coaches alone taking us to a new level when he plans the coaching, I would be pleased to see him move sideways and a new young coach to come through and evolve with the team and the game

• cyprus

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Danuneek, allow me to quote because this was funny 🙂
    “I get the feeling Pardew has never really liked using Benny because he doesn’t fit into Pardew’s ethos of crap football.”

• Jamiemac

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

We’ve all seen many times Pardew lose his rag when defenders have booted the ball long. This clearly shows he wants us playing on the ground.

So all these bloggers saying ‘Pardew’s style’ what exactly is ‘Pardew’s style’? Because what I see he is encouraging us playing on the ground we just don’t have the quality/confidence.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM

wwycd

I get it. You’re happy with mediocrity and no imminent prospect or sign of improvement despite the big investment in January with still nearly half a season left to play at that point.

I get that and I’m happy for you. You think rightly or wrongly you’re being loyal to a cause whether it’s progressive or going backwards. You don’t care about the manager’s perceived or otherwise limitations and that’s fair enough I suppose.

However, you should respect the opinions of the ever growing number of people who unlike you can not see where we’re headed exactly as we now stand 3 points off relegation and have lost the last 5 away games.

But to be fair you will trot out the same rhetoric and endless ”coulda shoulda woulda” list of excuses and I and others will say that people like Sissoko and Goofy who looked world beaters when they first arrived now look jaded and visibly poorer with every game.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM

jamiemac

Removing the hoof and playing it on the ground is great but it involves passing and moving. Our players are totally static. There’s no triangles or one – twos or people going to support the man with the ball. Look at the top 3 teams there’s always a man to the the left and right of them to pass to. It’s non existent with us.

• ichrisho

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

@JamieMac – Sexy-Hoof-Ball – that’s his style…

• Slank

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I know it was an April Fool spoof by Ed but I’ve always thought that Jose Mourinho could be attracted to Newcastle as:

1) He owes a great deal to Sir Bobby who gave him and AVB their starts in football and this would be honouring his memory.
    2) He wants to return to the Premiership.
    3) He likes a challenge and there is arguably no greater challenge than getting Newcastle a trophy as it has eluded the best (and worst) managers for 50 years.
    4) His arrogance and self belief would be tested to the limit but this is what he thrives on.

Ashley is just the type of owner to pull off such an audacious coup but I suspect that it would be fireworks all the way between him and Mourinho. Can they live with each other? It certainly wouldn’t be boring.

• cyprus

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM

“One club, one ethos” 🙂

• ichrisho

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Slank – that has been my wish since Chris Houghton left… I though Mourinho would want to finish off the legacy of Sir Bobby and bring a trophy to the Toon…. If it happened – that would be the greatest coup by any Chairman ever…

• yo-yo

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Pardew does seems to want to play a technical passing game when he has the lads available and he did set us up well for last night – he must have directed Simmo to work the flanks a bit fr’ instance – but imo he hasn’t got the technical knowledge to go all the way – I think he has some obvious strengths with players but there needs to be an improvement in coaching and so he needs strong technical coaches in support. I’m not sure we have got that any more. It’s like we’re an 85% team. We perform at that level for so much of a game and only hit overdrive for ten or fifteen minutes. All games ebb and flow but we only dictate for short periods. At 85% we ain’t going to bet teams like Benfica – we’re the nearly men. SO we need better coaching and conditioning

• Jamiemac

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Rotonda

Completely agree but in my opinion I feel that’s down to the players and not the manager.

• G

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Nice to dream guys, but I suspect its as likely as the mackems new manager winning a Nobel Peace prize.

• northernirishtoon

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I think everyone was willing to give pardew a chance when the new boys came in and he hasn’t really shown much

No question out results have improved but that wasn’t going to be hard. Our results since January are no where near what they should be. The only really good performance for me was the Chelsea match. All the other games could of went either way

I’m afraid a change is needed before Pardews burning desire ‘not to lose’ instead of maybe trying to win sucks the life out of all the ‘winners’ we have in the team

• low fell mag

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM

rotonda heighs ,for manager he knows the lot,even more than the manager of the season last year.Please knock the team when we have the full squad back playing.,debuchy,tiote,hba,goufron,ryan taylor.Need i say anymore.Pardew is our manager get behind him and the team,if not jump on the metro and give that italian fool your support,

• Tsunki

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM

This has been a long season. Last year, hitting the post a couple of times would have been a sure signal that we were inevitably going to win the game, like a lion with its jaws around the neck of its prey. The weariness of constant defeats due to inefficiency, bad positioning, unfamiliarity with ever-changing formations and teammates and low confidence means we can take nothing as an indicator we are going to survive a game any more. The scoreline should have been 3-1 to us last night in all fairness, yet I don’t feel we were robbed that it went entirely the other way, strangely. Thats because I was waiting for the heads to drop, the cramp to kick in, the mistakes to happen, because they always do these days.

Some blame Pardew, some the coaching or even the medical staff, but there’s a lot more to it than that. I think we have a grossly mismatched squad being squeezed into a mould of rigid play pattern that does not work. As the more allegedly technical players have been brought in, the worse the team has actually got. I say allegedly because they all seem to have a hatred of prolonged possession, and a need to play the killer or rather suicide ball through the middle of the park to a well-marked player who inevitably loses it. We pass back to a goalkeeper who bangs it high for all to prepare for, when an outfield player could have done it more accurately instead. We score a goal early in the game and then preposterously decide to fall back and invite pressure for upwards of an hour without any further threat from us. The rare crosses are pointless. The whole team is a collection of pieces from several jigsaws, its almost as if they are rudderless and try to make it up as they go along.

Pardew gets my backing to the end of the season, and no more. When the Arsenal game finishes, he will then be on probation for me, only a good summer window, a decent pre-season and a handle on the injury and general fitness levels (which I think are pretty dismal) will keep my support. If we start losing crap games in a crap way next season, then I will loudly all for his head, no mistake. He is tiring me out.

• martoon

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Rotonda & Krul – I totally agree that Sissoko & Goofy do not look the same players, however I disagree with your reasoning. You imediately blame Pardew & coaching but I would suspect when they first came they were unknown quantities but now opposing teams know how to play against them. I also think Sissoko is knackered after playing in every game since he arrived and Goofy still has a mental scar after his injury.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM

low fell mag aka sfb

I suggest your read my comments on the match which I thought were very fair and constructive but you only see what you want to see and you obviously have an issue with me.

All the abuse though, not very nice is it and still very unoriginal. You may not have a sufficient word bank to be civil and actually rationally discuss any valid points but the playground level insults need working on or at least spicing up a bit as I guess you won’t be courteous any time soon. I guess a charmless oaf is as a charmless oaf does

During the match I always support the team. That will never change but I don’t have to like the manager. Ask around pal.

• G

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Handbags gentlemen, handbags.

• blew

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Daztoon@ 12 ; Krul@ 15
    Totally agree with you both.
    Many of the teams we have played recently cant match our players on paper, however, when on the pitch we are outclassed. Why?
    Fulham cant match us on paper yet they are seeking a fifth straight win. Why? They will attack us down the wings, we are week at full back.
    The problems on the pitch represent the manager and his coaches. I am apprehensive about Sunday.
    love to see Colo back, playing as a sweeper