The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle 10th In Average League Attendance In Europe

11:34 am, Friday, April 5th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 107 Comments

Newcastle United are the 10th best supported club in Europe based on average home attendance — according to German web-site – Stadienwelt.

newcastle fans

Newcastle fans – average home attendance more than 50,000

German clubs are always very well supported, and they have four clubs in the top ten, and to a large extent the size of the stadium is important in the list, and some measure the attendance by the average attendance as a percentage of the capacity of the stadium.

But based on total average attendance Newcastle sit in 10th place in Europe, which is not bad at all, and the increase ion average attendance is also due to the nine year and ten years deals the club have offered over the last couple of years where the season tickets have been frozen for that length of time.

Here are the top 20 positions, and it’s not too surprising that Burussia Dortmund are at the very top.

1. 80,451 Borussia Dortmund
15.46,037 Inter-Milan
16.45,928 Glasgow Rangers
17.45,340 Glasgow Celtic
18.44,885 Feyenoord
19.44,695 Liverpool
20.44,353 Fortuna Dusseldorf

It’s a little surprising that Benfica are not in the list, as they have a beautiful stadium that holds over 65,000, and how come Rangers are in there - being in the fourth tier of Scottish football?

Newcastle have also released excellent financial figures for the financial year through last June, although there was a drop in gate receipts due to the freezing of season ticket prices over the nine and ten year periods.

And it’s also noticeable that Newcastle are always trying to full the stadium at home games, because they know that gives us an advantage over the opposition.

And to think we could do even better if we get that plan  to increase the capacity of St. James’ Park to 60,000 actually executed, but we’d only rise a few places in the above table.

Now we just need to stay in the Premier League this season, and we’ll be in great shape. :D

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Other News

107 responses so far ↓

• 1 reccerobbo // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Well that doesn’t come as a surprise as we have the best fans in the uk by far!!

• 2 G // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Whilst I know our stadium is large in English terms, I wouldn’t have expected us in the top 20 teams in Europe. Still it’s nice to know we can still attract a big crowd, even when having a stinker of a season.

• 3 Rotonda heights // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM

wwycd

That’s the whole tragedy. We have some great ball players recommended by Carr but they don’t suit Pardew’s preferred system. It doesn’t make sense why he bought some of them.

That’s why I said we are so close but so far away. Anita is a full Dutch international and was a star man for Ajax and can’t get a game ahead of Perch. Marveaux is on the bench most of the time, Cabaye is played too deep and Cisse finds himself as a winger in some games.

Ashley never liked Allardyce’s style and maybe Pardew was aware of this and has tried to compromise but doesn’t really know how to.

• 4 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

WWYCD

Haha well said. I can never understand it when fans say Pardew likes to buy or will buy big physical players when all he has bought are good technical passing players. Rumors of Liverpool wanting Ben Arfa in a swap deal with Carroll. NO WAY i say

• 5 ichrisho // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

……….”Anita is a full Dutch international and was a star man for Ajax and can’t get a game ahead of Perch. Marveaux is on the bench most of the time, Cabaye is played too deep and Cisse finds himself as a winger in some games……….”

Well said – Problem in a nut-shell with what Pardew is doing recently… the non-use of Anita and also the sparse use of Marv is totally unexplainable… Perch’s yellow card could have been a red plus Cabaye should defo have been booked for his wild tackles.. we need someone to do that job for him… the dirty work..

• 6 lewisnufc // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

8 of 20 teams are german, interesting!

• 7 geordiemark // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM

rotonda

I agree with you there

yes its great being in the top 20 but the bread and butter comes from the premire league and this is a damn sight more important then europe will ever be

am not saying we dont need europe its good being in it but you have to have the good quality players to compete at the highest level and a manager who can also compete is a must just pardew isnt we have found that out this season with his crazy tactics and players playing out of there postions is just plan crazy

• 8 G // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Repost:
    There were rumours at the start of the season that after the end of this season, Pardew would be stepping sideways, and adopting a ‘Director of Football’ type position, and the club would be fetching in a new ‘head-coach’ to work with the first team. Looking at the signings we have made prior to the season beginining, and during the Jan window, I can’t help but wonder if these rumours have any credence to them? I just worry about who that ‘head-coach’ could be? After all, under MA the appointments of managers could have been a bit better eh? Shearer was a risk, JFK was baffling, Hoots was a risk, and AP was, and still is a risk. KK could have went a lot better too!

• 9 WWYCD // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM

9WWYCD // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Rotonda
    So Pards had nothing to do with the incoming player then but now he will take full control and bring in massive lumping players? I sense u haven’t thought this through…or ur just spitting bile with no reasoning behind it. Also Anita the star of Ajax? Really? I don’t recall Ajax selling star men for so little

MUTINY/Slank
    Cheers lads nice to know am not alone in this line of thought

• 10 Rainrix // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I assume marveaux was rested against man city so he could be fresh for yesterday. Which was a bit defeatist for man city i know. Marvs going to be incredibly important for us in the coming games as our creative spark. He was brilliant yesterday when he got the ball and set cisse through twice and could of set him up a 3rd if he got the ball out of his feet properly. He’s been a lot more consistent of late as well which is good as well.

• 11 yo-yo // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Rotonda

Two questions.
    Which big physical players have we brought in in the last two years ?
    Which players we’ve signed are technical skilled players ?

• 12 daztoon // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM

We need wholesale change Manger,Coaches,medical staff etc.Players forever picking up hamstring,groin injuries etc,we look unfit,can’t defend,bar the odd Cabaye free kick we are useless at set pieces weather attacking or defending them.Never get any support to Cisse.lack a fighting spirt for most part,have no leaders on the pitch.Our plan b is stick Shola on.We have players go missing for large parts of games.

• 13 Rotonda heights // Apr 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM

WWYCD

I sense you’re not really reading through what I and others are saying or are deliberately choosing not too.

• 14 Rotonda heights // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Yo yo

I too have been guilty in the past of not reading through something properly.

Please read through what I said properly. I never said he had bought in big players although aren’t Ba, Sissoko and M’Biwa quite big?

I said this summer he may be tempted to as the ball players he has bought don’t fit his system whatever that is. I don ‘t think anyone really knows what that is , least of all Pardew himself.

• 15 Krul to be Kind // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Hello folks,

Been reading the posts for the past 24 hours but was very reluctant to comment because of the rawness felt by last nights bitter 2 goal defeat!

I am very quickly going off Pardew and as most would probably know I always defend him… but no more!

Watching Goofy over recent weeks and his play has gone backwards IMO since he signed, the movement just isn’t there that he brought on his first few games, in fact not just Goofy but Sissoko too, the interchanging that went on in the first few games when the new arrivals came to town was unbelievable and carved teams open, at that time I thought it is only a matter of time for this to really click and someone gets thumped at SJP… but no we have gone backwards!

I am of the impression that Goofy and Sissoko (2 very, very good players) have gone backwards and that has got to do with the coaching and tactics that are implemented, for this there is no one else to blame but Pardew, he has looked totally devoid of ideas and play’s far too safe for my liking.

The more I think of it the good players we had have all went backward under him – with the exception of Santon who is just mosying on regardless, although hasn’t improved much. Tiote, Cisse, Marv, Guti, Sissoko, Goofy and HBA (due to poor usage) have all declined from the footballers that were either brought in or were here on or after Pardew’s arrival. The only player to have improved under him is Perch, which to me is not good enough.

In a nutshell Pardew is increasingly looking devoid of any ideas to change the system and make us play football, he doesn’t take any gambles, for instance we work the wings for the majority of every game and we don’t score from many ‘crosses’, granted we get the odd tap in from a square ball on the by-line in the box but we DO NOT convert wing play, why does he not compact the play a bit more with a 4 man diamond midfield and a front 2 of Cisse and Goofy. We have technical footballers and the off the ball players ala Cisse and Goofy who can convert chances better with build up play through the middle instead of cross it and see then race back to grab positions for the next wave of attack… a blind man can see this, why can’t Pardew.

Thoughts anyone?

This is simply my OPINION, and again those that I have interacted with over the recent year will know I always have defended Pardew but no more, I woke this morning as angry as I was when I went to bed last night at the inane tactics employed by Pardew distinctly lacking any inventiveness, ideas or variation. A coach of the calibre of Jorge Jesus was always going to exploit this!

• 16 yo-yo // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I do like the idea of Pards being General Manager as he has got a lot of good skills with people etc., and he is part of the vision for the club. I also feel he is committed to the Toon. But I do want to see the coaching and tactical side strengthened. We definitely need a first team coach or Assistant Manager who can take on first team duties who can work in the modern style. I don’t know how other team’s models might work for us. We need guys who are top drawer and can work together. The last thing we want is another KK situation.

• 17 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM

And its why we deserve so much more success. It would be a crying shame for us to be relegated again. Although we would still probably be in the top 5 atenndances in the country again if we were. BEST FANS IN THE WORLD :)

• 18 Rotonda heights // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM

yo yo

I would say Anita, Marveaux, Benny, Cabaye, Debuchy were technical players wouldn’t you

• 19 G // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Evidence suggests, that MA has always had the vision in place that management should be a split-tier job? When he brought in KK, he brought in Dangerous Denis to work as ‘Technical Director’ or whatever title he held. I do think its the way ahead, and also rumour has it that AP still owes MA a staggering amount of money, therefore, he won’t be sacked. As RH above also points out, a lot of the players that have come in recently, do not really fit in with a defensive team. As I say, this is all speculation based on rumour, but it’s certainly food for thought.

• 20 ichrisho // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

@Krultobekind – Good name by the way…

I think you are right in what you say but is it Pardew lack of coaching ability or is it the coaching team around him… ??? All I see on NUFC TV is them having a laugh… like the pre-game session in the stadium on Thurs morn and wednesday afternoon – it was all lax and a laugh… There also seems to be some old boys that are getting in the team no matter what… that said Jonas played quite well last night.. It just feels like he is a right or left-back when he should be playing as winger…

• 21 daztoon // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Take HBA twice this season he has made a comeback from a hamstring injury first Fulham away lasted 60 mins then injured for a long spell.Then his comeback game starts on a plastic pitch in sub zero temps.Both times no reserve games to ease him back in just total mis management of a key player.

• 22 Krul to be Kind // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Ichrisho

The coaching is an issue he is 100% responsible for…

do what you always do and get what you always get

this 4231 system we play isn’t working yet but he sticks with it week in and week out, it didn’t work when he played the youth when he had to use them in bulk, but now he has the chance to throw the occasional few mins (Campbell) every other game and he doesn’t take it… many a manager would have blooded this kid by now, I can’t see new coaches alone taking us to a new level when he plans the coaching, I would be pleased to see him move sideways and a new young coach to come through and evolve with the team and the game

• 23 cyprus // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Danuneek, allow me to quote because this was funny :)
    “I get the feeling Pardew has never really liked using Benny because he doesn’t fit into Pardew’s ethos of crap football.”

• 24 Jamiemac // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

We’ve all seen many times Pardew lose his rag when defenders have booted the ball long. This clearly shows he wants us playing on the ground.

So all these bloggers saying ‘Pardew’s style’ what exactly is ‘Pardew’s style’? Because what I see he is encouraging us playing on the ground we just don’t have the quality/confidence.

• 25 Rotonda heights // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM

wwycd

I get it. You’re happy with mediocrity and no imminent prospect or sign of improvement despite the big investment in January with still nearly half a season left to play at that point.

I get that and I’m happy for you. You think rightly or wrongly you’re being loyal to a cause whether it’s progressive or going backwards. You don’t care about the manager’s perceived or otherwise limitations and that’s fair enough I suppose.

However, you should respect the opinions of the ever growing number of people who unlike you can not see where we’re headed exactly as we now stand 3 points off relegation and have lost the last 5 away games.

But to be fair you will trot out the same rhetoric and endless ”coulda shoulda woulda” list of excuses and I and others will say that people like Sissoko and Goofy who looked world beaters when they first arrived now look jaded and visibly poorer with every game.

• 26 Rotonda heights // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM

jamiemac

Removing the hoof and playing it on the ground is great but it involves passing and moving. Our players are totally static. There’s no triangles or one – twos or people going to support the man with the ball. Look at the top 3 teams there’s always a man to the the left and right of them to pass to. It’s non existent with us.

• 27 ichrisho // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

@JamieMac – Sexy-Hoof-Ball – that’s his style…

• 28 Slank // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I know it was an April Fool spoof by Ed but I’ve always thought that Jose Mourinho could be attracted to Newcastle as:

1) He owes a great deal to Sir Bobby who gave him and AVB their starts in football and this would be honouring his memory.
    2) He wants to return to the Premiership.
    3) He likes a challenge and there is arguably no greater challenge than getting Newcastle a trophy as it has eluded the best (and worst) managers for 50 years.
    4) His arrogance and self belief would be tested to the limit but this is what he thrives on.

Ashley is just the type of owner to pull off such an audacious coup but I suspect that it would be fireworks all the way between him and Mourinho. Can they live with each other? It certainly wouldn’t be boring.

• 29 cyprus // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM

“One club, one ethos” :)

• 30 ichrisho // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Slank – that has been my wish since Chris Houghton left… I though Mourinho would want to finish off the legacy of Sir Bobby and bring a trophy to the Toon…. If it happened – that would be the greatest coup by any Chairman ever…

• 31 yo-yo // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Pardew does seems to want to play a technical passing game when he has the lads available and he did set us up well for last night – he must have directed Simmo to work the flanks a bit fr’ instance – but imo he hasn’t got the technical knowledge to go all the way – I think he has some obvious strengths with players but there needs to be an improvement in coaching and so he needs strong technical coaches in support. I’m not sure we have got that any more. It’s like we’re an 85% team. We perform at that level for so much of a game and only hit overdrive for ten or fifteen minutes. All games ebb and flow but we only dictate for short periods. At 85% we ain’t going to bet teams like Benfica – we’re the nearly men. SO we need better coaching and conditioning

• 32 Jamiemac // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Rotonda

Completely agree but in my opinion I feel that’s down to the players and not the manager.

• 33 G // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Nice to dream guys, but I suspect its as likely as the mackems new manager winning a Nobel Peace prize.

• 34 northernirishtoon // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I think everyone was willing to give pardew a chance when the new boys came in and he hasn’t really shown much

No question out results have improved but that wasn’t going to be hard. Our results since January are no where near what they should be. The only really good performance for me was the Chelsea match. All the other games could of went either way

I’m afraid a change is needed before Pardews burning desire ‘not to lose’ instead of maybe trying to win sucks the life out of all the ‘winners’ we have in the team

• 35 low fell mag // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM

rotonda heighs ,for manager he knows the lot,even more than the manager of the season last year.Please knock the team when we have the full squad back playing.,debuchy,tiote,hba,goufron,ryan taylor.Need i say anymore.Pardew is our manager get behind him and the team,if not jump on the metro and give that italian fool your support,

• 36 Tsunki // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM

This has been a long season. Last year, hitting the post a couple of times would have been a sure signal that we were inevitably going to win the game, like a lion with its jaws around the neck of its prey. The weariness of constant defeats due to inefficiency, bad positioning, unfamiliarity with ever-changing formations and teammates and low confidence means we can take nothing as an indicator we are going to survive a game any more. The scoreline should have been 3-1 to us last night in all fairness, yet I don’t feel we were robbed that it went entirely the other way, strangely. Thats because I was waiting for the heads to drop, the cramp to kick in, the mistakes to happen, because they always do these days.

Some blame Pardew, some the coaching or even the medical staff, but there’s a lot more to it than that. I think we have a grossly mismatched squad being squeezed into a mould of rigid play pattern that does not work. As the more allegedly technical players have been brought in, the worse the team has actually got. I say allegedly because they all seem to have a hatred of prolonged possession, and a need to play the killer or rather suicide ball through the middle of the park to a well-marked player who inevitably loses it. We pass back to a goalkeeper who bangs it high for all to prepare for, when an outfield player could have done it more accurately instead. We score a goal early in the game and then preposterously decide to fall back and invite pressure for upwards of an hour without any further threat from us. The rare crosses are pointless. The whole team is a collection of pieces from several jigsaws, its almost as if they are rudderless and try to make it up as they go along.

Pardew gets my backing to the end of the season, and no more. When the Arsenal game finishes, he will then be on probation for me, only a good summer window, a decent pre-season and a handle on the injury and general fitness levels (which I think are pretty dismal) will keep my support. If we start losing crap games in a crap way next season, then I will loudly all for his head, no mistake. He is tiring me out.

• 37 martoon // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Rotonda & Krul – I totally agree that Sissoko & Goofy do not look the same players, however I disagree with your reasoning. You imediately blame Pardew & coaching but I would suspect when they first came they were unknown quantities but now opposing teams know how to play against them. I also think Sissoko is knackered after playing in every game since he arrived and Goofy still has a mental scar after his injury.

• 38 Rotonda heights // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM

low fell mag aka sfb

I suggest your read my comments on the match which I thought were very fair and constructive but you only see what you want to see and you obviously have an issue with me.

All the abuse though, not very nice is it and still very unoriginal. You may not have a sufficient word bank to be civil and actually rationally discuss any valid points but the playground level insults need working on or at least spicing up a bit as I guess you won’t be courteous any time soon. I guess a charmless oaf is as a charmless oaf does

During the match I always support the team. That will never change but I don’t have to like the manager. Ask around pal.

• 39 G // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Handbags gentlemen, handbags.

• 40 blew // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Daztoon@ 12 ; Krul@ 15
    Totally agree with you both.
    Many of the teams we have played recently cant match our players on paper, however, when on the pitch we are outclassed. Why?
    Fulham cant match us on paper yet they are seeking a fifth straight win. Why? They will attack us down the wings, we are week at full back.
    The problems on the pitch represent the manager and his coaches. I am apprehensive about Sunday.
    love to see Colo back, playing as a sweeper

• 41 Tsunki // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM

martoon – sory but you could apply the idea that teams know how to play against Suarez, Bale…… Sissoko is a decent player enough to continue to have a few tricks up his sleeve and for one thing, no tactic will make you outrun him all of a sudden if you couldn’t before! And as for Gouffran, he’s a Professional. HBA came back from a horrific break and still ran at meaty defences. If Goofy is that mentally fragile, pack him off to ply his trade in the 5-a-side leagues. I find excuses hard to gulp down regarding a player who earns more in a week than I do in a year.

• 42 northernirishtoon // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Tsunki

Well said. I think that’s seems to be the thinking behind a lot of posters on here. Possibly even the majority

I for one, think we are in serious trouble and Sundays game will be the biggest at st James park for a number of years, followed by an even more important game the following Sunday. This is literally a huge 10 days and if we can’t pick up at least 4 points then I think pards is gone

• 43 WWYCD // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Rotonda
    Yes I read ur comments (though most of the time I don’t bother they all tend to be the same jaded thing repeated over again) and I questioned ur meaning with as much of a sensible answer (ok had a bit of humour in it so sue me) as I could muster.

As for ur few paragraphs judging me as a fan I don’t feel the need to answer it, u can see me as u like wont affect how I support my team. I will back them til I am old grey and near death then I will most likely support them past that.

• 44 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM

My god I hope we paste Fulham at the weekend, so we can move on up the table and mostly so these manic depressive gut wrenching miserable trolls disappear back under the bridge!
    Every day the same boring regurgitated sh1te
    Christ surely you have something in your lives to bring some happiness!!
    Pardews done this Pardews done that pardew took my lunch money at school pardew shagged my wife pardew started the North Korea South Korea conflict
    Same everyday
    What indication has there been that pardew is going anywhere? None
    What indication had there been that the board no longer backs or has confidence in pardew? None
    What indication has there been that the players have lost faith in pardew? None
    We have a captain who’s homesick, a stand in captain who’s depressed, a star player who’s never on the pitch let alone in the city who’s obscenely overweight for a professional, a loaf of new signings with no time to bed in properly through necessity and one of the most unsettled starting 11′s in the league with no real depth in quality in the squad to replace them
    Now is that ALL really down to pardew?

• 45 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Everytime i log in here I see blame added to Pardew somewhere down the line. Always negative thinking and scapegoating. Always niggling looking for an answer and some one to blame. People, sometimes, you come across teams that are simply better than you.

Last night was by far the best we have started a game all season? That was Pardews fault. Was it him why we lost the game? Was it shite. He played the best team and tactics he could of. End of. The players that were available lacked belief and confidence to grind out that result. Idiotic mistakes cost us goals. Pardew can do nothing about that. He’s doing the best what is at his disposal.

We were well beaten by a squad of players that were better than ours coupled with costly mistakes.

We put these/our players on pedestals saying they are this and that and technically brilliant. The truth is they are mediocre to players across the globe and our top 4 teams, we look for bargains and look to pay peanuts. Thats the truth. Thats all well and good and having financial stability but the truth is there are better teams and players out there.

When we shell out 50 million on a striker, that cannot finish then blame Pardew by all accounts. Until then, deal with the mediocrity at this football club because not one player is a world beater in any aspect. Pardew has what he has and from what I can see, he is getting the best out of these players.

No coach on this planet can do anymore than what we are witnessing with what we have at this club. Thats what im witnessing.

That said, I still believe we can get something out of this tie at home.

With 50,000 geordies raring us on, nothing is impossible. We can score goals. It’s very achievable.

• 46 Beattie25 // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Pardew as a player is remembered for a FA cup loss and as a manager will be remembered as the same.

He has no pedigree, no history and no growth in his quality.

The man is a casino pal of the owner and managing director and this obviously got his foot in the door.

I have always thought he was a poor manager. I hated watching his teams 10 years ago and I hate watching his teams now.

The same man that benched Mascherano and Tevez preferring to play Marlon Harewood and Carl Fletcher instead.

Last season we were incredibly lucky in a lot games and this season the matches we have played have taken a scarily similar pattern. However this season the woodwork, referee decisions and line clearances have not come to our rescue.

It is so easy to see how much of a poor team we are. We see glimpses of quality but nothing sustained.

I have always been vocal about my disdain but what I really wan’t to know is how people can:

A. Stand to watch such horrific anti-football
    B. Support a manager who is not as good as he thinks.
    C. Watch the best team we’ve had since the turn of the century go to waste.

This for me is more than the next 8 years. We could lay foundations that could last a life time or we could let this cockney double glazing salesman posing as a football manager destroy all the potential in the squad.

• 47 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM

more news on benitez to nufc today

• 48 northernirishtoon // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Toon prodigy

That’s a pretty negative post from you yet your telling other people not to be negative!

As pardew spending 50m on a striker, he spent 10m on One last year and made him in to one of the best strikers in the world ( all be it for only 6months)

He then single handedly turned him into a very ordinary average looking striker

• 49 Tsunki // Apr 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Lads, don’t get me wrong, as I said, Pardew still has my backing.

BUT

We have been outclassed and outmanouvred by some seriously mediocre outfits this season. IF we get beaten by Fulham AGAIN, what are we going to say? who are we going to blame? These other teams sense something about our team and our setup that gives them the bullish confidence to turn us over week in and week out with predictable and depressing regularity. Colectively, this squad says it has a great minset, but the preformances tell a different story. We have to bend to the proddings of reality at some point, does it have to be a drop into the lower league? I still dont think that will happen all thanks be to the scum that are worse than us, but we can’t be setting ourselves up for another dire season of grim footballing resignation.

The Benfica game was no disaster, I even said I would take a 2-1 or 3-1 loss did I not? Its the manner of how our pay changed and how jaded we got from an hour of defending a convincingly-taken lead that alarms me.

I predict a certainty – if we lose to the mackems, Mike will put Derek in charge of team selection next game because he will be busy beating Pardew out of the door with a Sports direct knock-down sale baseball bat. Anyone want to bet their house against a mackem win right now? Its unthinkable, isn’t it?

• 50 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM

personally i place no blame upon pardew for last night, last night apart from the ameobi sub i think he got everything right.

i do however place blame on him for the style of football we play.

i understand to an extent it has been inhibited by injuries and players not playing as well as they could but he has made obvious blunders too.

i would give him to next christmas, no excuses, perform or youre out.

having said that if we have the opportunity to get benitez i would get rid of pardew tomorrow. he may not be perfect but is a winner, and a massive upgrade on what we have

• 51 Tsunki // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM

*outmanouevred.

• 52 Agent Belfast 007 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM

There’s only one man to blame Skunki and that’s you !!

• 53 Beattie25 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM

TADS

”There have been some key players who have been frightfully piss poor this season + an obscene amount of injuries does anyone account for this?
    We have a captain who’s homesick, a stand in captain who’s depressed, a star player who’s never on the pitch let alone in the city who’s obscenely overweight for a professional, a loaf of new signings with no time to bed in properly through necessity and one of the most unsettled starting 11?s in the league with no real depth in quality in the squad to replace them
    Now is that ALL really down to pardew?”

I would say Pardew has a lot to do with all of these.

The players being piss poor is down. It’s down to Pardew to bring out the best in them.

An insane amount of injuries. Pardew has hardly protected players. He has on many occasions rushed them back in to the fold and most of the injuries have hardly been unavoidable through proper care and duress.

Captain who is homesick. Why is he homesick? Why wasn’t he sold? Why hasn’t the manager taken control of that situation?

Vice captain who is depressed. Of course that is an illness but has it been handled properly? I don’t think so. He should have been given time off at the beginning of the season.

Overweight star. Pardew should as manager keep a tab on all his players and his lackadaisical approach has allowed this to happen. Would any other manager allow this?

A loaf of new signings. It is primarily down to the manager to settle them into the club.

Unsettled starting 11. Pardew could have had a settled starting 11 similar to the team of last season at the beginning but he experimented, trying to play Ba as central striker and find a place for Cisse. It was he who said he was happy at the depth and if he is just a mouth piece, how does that make him any better?

• 54 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM

would like to see what the colo mbiwa partnership is like if we manage to keep colo. i like saylor but he backs off a lot and tends to make the occasional silly mistake

• 55 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Northernirish,

Sometimes it’s neccesary to put out the cold hard truth.

What we can achieve is ultimately down to what we have at our disposal. A manager can only do so much. No one can say that team were not fired up last night, nor can they say the tactics were wrong.

We went at them and we were beaten. Thats the whole top and bottom of it. We can nit-pick all we want at whatever but ultimately it’s down to the players on the park. They tried and were beaten.

Football is football though and who knows, on the night we may pull it off. We have every chance. Im keeping the faith.

• 56 WWYCD // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Belfast coming to you as James Bond Summer 2014!

Did u see u made a list of sensible posters and I didn’t? I was heart broken…this is assuming u are belfastmagpie of course if ur some new I apologise and hello

• 57 Agent Belfast 007 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I’d love to know who’s in charge of set pieces, because they’re bloody awful. We’ve played the same set piece all season long & it never works.

• 58 Agent Belfast 007 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Please direct me to this list of sensible posters ??

I’m over the moon with that !! ;)

• 59 Beattie25 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Pardews tactics have lost us more games this season than our players have.

Sometimes it’s 11 v 11 on the pitch, but sometimes it’s the 1 v 1 in the technical area that makes the difference.

Pardew has been out thought by better managers time and time again and that means lesser players have beaten our better ones time and time again.

You could have the fastest F1 car on the track but unless you have a driver who is competent enough to drive it, you’ll never win.

• 60 WWYCD // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Was about a week ago mate someone posted it…what’s worst u got top billing I contemplated quitting the blog over it but after a few drinks I reconsidered haha

• 61 northernirishtoon // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Toon prodigy

I will keep the faith also and have been doing so all season but pardew has grounded me down so much

You say a few cold hard truths have to be said and I agree but yours cold hard truths are completely different from mine

You make statements like

‘We were well beaten by a squad of players that were better than ours’

Says who? Player for player are they really that much better, as a team definetly

‘No coach on this planet can do anymore than what we are witnessing with what we have at this club. Thats what im witnessing’

Seriously! Your having a laugh there

‘He’s doing the best what is at his disposal’

Again you must be joking. Wake up and smell the coffee. I always thought you were a good poster who made a lot of sense but on that previous post I think you have proved yourself blinded by your loyalty

• 62 Tsunki // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM

put it in a sack with a brick and chuck it in a river, Belfast.

:D

• 63 jordijohnty // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM

does any one at the club ever read these blogs or other fans forums? There seems to be common threads through all of them

• 64 toon252 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I’ve had a clam down after last nights game, the majority of people on here ad siad that Pardew bashing was unfair…

Then this morning I woke up and though I’d check the league table, yeah we’re still in the relegation fight – Lose on Sunday and we could be in the bottom 3..

I don’t understant how any fan would want that man in charge of our club.. You’ll slate Santon for 1 bad mistake.. What about when Pardew cost us the game against reading by making the most obviously stupid tactical subs?

As a manager his job is to get the tactics right and win games. He hasn’t done that enough this season, the proof is in the pudding.. Old Cliché but the table doesn’t lie!

He needs to go whilst we still have a chance, people say we are too good to go down.. They said that a few years back and look what happened!

Southampton changed there manager at the right time, the board made a big call and it looks to be working.. Imagine what this team could be if we had someone who encouraged a free flowing passing game, not a hoof ball game.

Summed it up perfectly last night, Benfica played a longball out of defence, straight away the crown boo’d so loud and the manager was nearly on the pitch screaming at the player. Where as Pardew constantly shouts “Hit Papiss” or “Hit Shola” when he’s on.

• 65 Agent Belfast 007 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I agree totally with that list, even though they were probably drunk when they said it. ;)

• 66 Transfer Sage // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Beattie

I don’t think you can say pardew managed mascherano and tevez badly. Tevez still acts up now so when younger wont have been better.

They knew they were just there to be in the shop window, everyone did so I dare bet they weren’t selected not out of spite but more than likely down to not working hard in training to earn a spot. It could be anything really.

Some of your criticisms are fair but I don’t think that one is.

• 67 Beattie25 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Pardew was not to blame for the loss last night but he was a part of the reason we were defeated.

Their team was better than ours, as was their tactics.

It’s a culmination of 2 1/2 years of work that led to our demise and inability to keep up the effort of the first 20 mins over the 90.

Benfica were too good on the night, individual errors cost us, we were unlucky to hit the woodwork and their manager was better than ours.

That’s why we lost.

I don’t want Pardew sacked because of last night, I want him sacked because we could never play the football that exciting modern teams like Benfica can play under Pardew.

• 68 Jackel001 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Very well said Prodigy!

• 69 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM

toon252

our salvation will be if the benitez rumours are true. think he could perform wonders with our squad. cisse is actually a lot like torres. likes balls quick and early and he will finish. we have cabaye who is our gerrard, etc etc. im banking on benitez, or 8 years of mediocrity

• 70 Assam Toon // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Every toon fan will agree that replacing hughton with pardew was not exactly raising the bar up a level (last season we over achieved, considering the squad we had). So basically ever since KK has left in 2008-09, we have overhauled our team into a very talented lot. But look at the managers during this time, Kinnear, Shearer, Hughton and Pardew?? Its time Ashley shifts the gear to the actual next level. Moyes, Benitez, Martinez, whoever.

• 71 Agent Belfast 007 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM

There’s no way they’ll sack Pardew at this point. Hopefully at the end of the season lol

Anything less than 6 points from these next two games, we’re in deep shit like.

Well anyway i’m off now to raise as glass to myself, for making the most sensible posters list. :)

• 72 Transfer Sage // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Beattie

The strange thing is we can play some brilliant stuff but its never 90 minutes and its never consistent.

I like pardew, I think he can easily turn us into a stable top ten side with the odd year pushing top 6. But to really kick on I think he needs to go. All teams in top 5 currently play an attacking brand of football. I think we need to do the same.

I don’t mind giving pardew another season to try and get it right, because he does show glimpses of what we can do but he has to turn things around next year, especially with this squad.

Also we have good league form…won 4 of 8 since villa away, when new boys all arrived, average 50% points which is 57, enough for top 7 last year so not too bad…but I do get people’s complaints with style of play not just results.

• 73 Transfer Sage // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Assam

No to martinez and moyes…neither are what we need. Moyes can be just as defensive and dour and Martinez can only get his team to play for 10 games of the year.

• 74 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:26 PM

i think ashley knows his managers limitations and is trying to build us up slowly and more sustainably. last season by overachieving we have kind of screwed with our long term plan, as this season (due to board complacency, europe) as well as injuries, we have chronically underachieved

i would say overall we are still on target for our long term goal.

ive said it time and time again, ashley is a businessman, he would not be stupid enough to hand out an 8 year contract without a small compensation clause.

if he knows he can take us up a level he will.

deep down he loves the club and his arrogance and determination for us to succeed has ridden him through the bitter crests of hatred he has received.

he is the best chairman we have had for a long time and as long as we have him in charge we are in safe hands.

• 75 Beattie25 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Transfer

Tevez was fresh into the country and wasn’t at the time benched because he was an issue to begin with.

Pardew did a Ben Arfa and benched him to show him who was boss and to allow him to ‘get used to the PL’.

If Tevez was playing regularly West Ham would have stayed up a lot easier as was shown towards the end of the season when Tevez was banging them in under a new manager and tactics focused on his strengths.

Who knows, perhaps Pardew would still be managing them if he had played him?

Pardew has a history of taking the most exciting talents and slowly bleeding them into the squad or rushing them when his hand is forced.

He also has a history of pundits, former clubs fans and players questioning his tactics.

• 76 Transfer Sage // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Beattie

I agree he does hold attacking players back, wanting all 11 to contribute to defending which is fine if pressing high up but when it means all out players are in our own half it means we have no out ball and struggle to counter with no much pace.

Still tevez could have been unfit or anything, neither of us know his condition at start of season so could be down to anything really not just him tryin to show who’s boss.

• 77 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Northernirish,

Well, im sorry i’v dissapointed.

But I don’t see any players not giving their all. I see players playing decently well towards the best of their ability. I can see us giving it a go, Pardew is selecting the best players at his disposal and going at teams.

All I see is nit-picking on here. Hating. Dreaming of a Mourinho or Ancelotti coming in and all of a sudden turning us into world beaters because we have this Exceptionally talented squad what he is not getting the best out of?

We could of won 4-0 last night and i’d still look in on here today and their would of been a complaint about a sub.

People need to wake up and smell the coffee. We are no world beaters, but we can dream and believe. When that overspills into wanting managers sacked it becomes ridiculous.

The question and answers lie with have we progressed, as thats what everyone wants to see. Over the last few years, you have to say yes we have.

Be careful what you wish for, because where im sitting, there is not a great deal to change with what we have, and only gambles on simular managers are on the horizon.

• 78 yo-yo // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Still mostly doom and gloom then lads ?
    Funny that the fans of a club that’s won nowt but the fizzy pop and FA Cup runners up in 50 years are so impatient when things go wrong.
    I was livid after the silly mistakes that cost us last night, still am, as these individual mistakes are the difference between success and failure, between good and first class players. We are close to beiung a real quality side, so close. Endless backpasses and Krul hoofing and losing possession isn’t pass and move….Even Cabs getting the elbow in shows what we all know – he can be as snide as that bindipper filth. I’m fed up with mediocrity and players not delivering. How can so many internationals lack so much concentration or self discipline ?
    Am being sucked down into the mire meself now ..aargh…glug…glug.. gl

• 79 toon252 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Alan Pas-de-clue

I agree, Ashley is a good owner, he is tying to bring some stability. He’s made some good calls, renaming the stadium for one – He knew someone would buy the name and rename it back, it was a clever business move.

I hope he sees that Alan Pardew doesn’t have a clue, he backed him with 5 players in January and yet he still doesn’t know what to do.

Fact of the day – Apart from reading, Alan Pardew has had 1 good season at a club, the next has ended in Relegation or a Sacking…

Lastly the man still can’t see that Sissoko isn’t a number 10 – The man himself has said it on numerous occasions, The national manager has said it and his old club manager has said it. Sissoko is best driving from deep, pushing the team high, not receiving it back to goal.

• 80 northernirishtoon // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Toon prodigy

I think we have went backwards massively since last year

• 81 JackButler // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Shame we are only up there in the attendance ranking’s

• 82 Krul to be Kind // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Yo-yo

Don’t succumb to the dark sided mire, I took a jump in this morning and now feel trapped!

• 83 Beattie25 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Transfer

Pardew may be able to turn us into a stable top 10 team but he has a top 6 club at his disposal. A better manager would consistently get us top 6 with this team.

Also we have won 4 of 8 but also lost the same amount so that argument is flawed. It is unfair to say we have turned a corner when we have won only 50% of 8 games.

Try 51% of PL games from 31 have been lost.

• 84 mindshaft // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Marvs was rested against Man City because he felt a slight hamstring midweek and Pards didnt want to risk him apparently

@Beattie – I can just imagine the uproar on here if Pards had given Cabaye time off for no apparent reason or citing depression
    Rushing players back – I’d imagine he goes on the advice of the medics
    HBA overweight – well I’ve seen him and he doesn’t look overweight to me, that picture was extremely misleading and picked out by the hacks to make a story up – however he’s hardly played since 2010 so perhaps we should stop looking to him to save us

I definitely think Pards is a bit out of his depth tactically – you don’t need world beaters to play a quick passing game as Swansea are proof of, you just need a manager who wants to implement it – sadly Pards doesn’t – our movement off the ball is atrocious

Sadly it’s very difficult to see who is available to replace him – there might actually be some truth in the Benitez rumours but that won’t happen until next season and not at all if we’re in the championship – think we’re stuck with Pards until end of season at least
    I know the Pard lovers will cite injuries, lack of summer signings but we signed 5 players in Jan and after initial good results we’re back playing as we were in December – he seems to have actually made the new signings worse rather than better

• 85 G // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM

It’s hard to say players are ‘giving their all’ when they start walking instead of running back when we get hit on the break. Saw lots of that last night, saw it against City at the weekend too.

• 86 toon252 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Yo-Yo

So many internationals get it wrong because……,……

The manager gets it wrong!

Question..How deep did our back 4 play yesterday?

I’ve re watched parts of the game and we basically sat 10- 15 yards behind half way line most of the game – It causes a massive gap between Cisse and the back 4 – That means that our 3 Central Mids have to cover 60 yards at times to get close to Cisse. We should be pushed up tight on the half way line, the likes of Cabaye, Sissoko and Marv get little short passes off and get in and around Cisse!

Not have Taylor or Simpson pumping 60 yard passes up to a lonesome Cisse who when brings it down has no one within 30 yards of him because they have to drop so deep.

• 87 G // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Off subject, yet relevant, somebody at work has just suggested that we should sack AP, as he is a gambler, and gambler’s make the worst managers! Somebody else at work has just asked him to remind us how many race horses Sir Alex Fergusson owns! Brilliant.

• 88 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM

sacking pardew now is suicidal. he would build a team that keeps us just above relegation year in year out, but atm its like having mr blobby driving a ferrari

• 89 toon252 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Sir Alex Ferguson isn’t a gambler.. He’s a raging alcoholic gambler haha

• 90 Krul to be Kind // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Does anyone else agree with me when I state that we should look to change the emphasis from the wings to central attacking?

Watching this running down blind alleys and aimlessly putting balls in the box is really, really affecting my happiness, that is the reason I believe we haven’t spanked anyone this term, and for that reason Pardew is not my flavour of the month, I just wish he would stop persevering with all this wing crap… we have not got the players for it, when has anyone seen Cisse win an aerial battle to win a header on a cross into the box, and by all accounts he is the biggest player we have to attack balls (with Sissoko the exception, but bullet headers isn’t exactly prominent in his skill set)

• 91 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM

mbiwa santon and debuchy are all fast, fast enough that we can hold a high line, and pressure teams high up the pitch, which brought about most of our better results last season. playing a compact back 8 can only work for spells not week in week out, and to accomplish this you need all players on full concentration for 90 mins. we dont have that

• 92 TheBossMan // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Its not that long ago, well in KK`s 1st era when we were know as ” The Entertainers ” that we had full house signs every match and a 25,000 waiting list for season tickets. We were also regarded by official FIFA rankings as the 3rd biggest club in world football behind Man Utd & Real Madrid.. And we still hadnt won anything then… but everyone loved watching NUFC because of the style of play in every game home or away..
    IF we ever do reach those heights again and actually win the PL ( dreaming now ) Mike Ashley would have to build another Super Stadium on the Town Moor.. ( Those plans were shelved when KK left and we spiraled down hill )………

• 93 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Beattie
    I’m sooty mate but i disagree and think your putting to much on him
    It’s not up to him to sell colo that’s on the board
    Allowing benny to flounce off to paris when he picks up any injury, he should have a say but once again the board this is there prize asset why have they not got someone out there keeping tabs on him
    Injuries can only really think of benny who’s maybe been bought back to soon
    Cabs should of been given leave, once again perhaps yeah he should of raised concerns but so should his team of fully trained medical staff!
    Your right about the new signings I suppose it’s up to him to inter grate them but how often do you see 5 new players take to a new league immidiatly?
    I think there’s fault there with him but think the whole club share equal if not more blame imo

• 94 Beattie25 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Look all over Europe and there are many, many managers who could implement a nice style to our team that are within our price range.

We are a big name and big opportunity to some managers and dare I even say we could be a stepping stone to some.

A new manager would have the luxury of a team filled with international standard technical players and it would be easy for them to implement a playing style that most our players have been a part of most of their careers.

All the ingredients are there, we just need the right chef.

• 95 Assam Toon // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM

and by the way europa league is over for us. it will be 1-1 at SJP. So lets just look into the remaining EPL matches, getting Pardew fired and getting Mourinho.

• 96 Krul to be Kind // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM

mindshaft @ 84

‘you don’t need world beaters to play a quick passing game as Swansea are proof of, you just need a manager who wants to implement it – sadly Pards doesn’t – our movement off the ball is atrocious’

That just about sums it up 100% for me, when the new signings came in jan the off the ball movement was wrecking teams in the first few games… this looks to be ‘coached’ out of them to make them more disciplined but at that time we played our best football all season and looked like we turned a corner only to go backwards because of the need to be ‘organised’, organised sees out games not win them!

• 97 G // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM

@94, that Noddy Holder looking bloke in charge of Benfica last night had his team making lovely pass and move formations, and battling for every ball. We could do a lot worse if it came down to replacing AP? He was also very amusing when he wasn’t happy jumping up and down in his bright red coat in his technical area.

• 98 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Northernirish,

We our in the europa league quarters. We have an injury ravaged squad that has been since last June. Key players out constantly. We have no rythmn, no settled first 11, no fluidity. No winning formula. We lost our star striker. Our captain is off taking in San Lorenzo games having a ball. Although I have heard he is back now. Our next in waiting has had a bout of depression.

Something had to suffer and this is our league form.

Now is not the time to expect miracles or slate a manager.

Now is the time to be real.

• 99 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM

krul
    debuchy mbiwa taylor santon
    tiote
    anita sissoko
    cabaye
    hba cisse

all full internationals (bar taylor)

most managers would dream of the international calibre of that squad. and pards is grinding them into a league 1 type team

• 100 Beattie25 // Apr 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I love the injury illusion.

Granted we have had a lot of injuries but from August to December we had Ben Arfa out for several games, Staylor out for several games and Cabaye out for several games. They were the only starting 11 players that were out for a considerable amount of time.

In that period we lost loads despite having, more or less, the same team as last year. That’s why we lost, because we had the same team. Same players but more importantly same tactics.

Granted the bench had looked weak at times but even with the players we have had to bring on Pards has been void of ideas.

Many games this season have been calling out for Marveaux, Adam Campbell or even Obertan for the final 10.

Instead we get Ameobi, Perch and for a long time Sammy Ameobi.

• 101 toon252 // Apr 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Toon Prodigy…

Lost our star striker.. End of last season Cisse was called our start striker..

Collo played in nearly every game pre january

Injuries happen, we bought in 5 players in January – We’re still in a relegation fight..

SO it’s not the manager fault that the same team from last season, with 6 new players, losing 1 player, is in a relegation battle? It’s not his fault that we have lost games from winning positions due to bad calls tactically..

It’s not his fault that he encourages a long ball out of defence..

It’s not his fault that he plays the same 4-5-1 formation ever week against every team.

It’s not his fault that our defence plays such a deep line that there is a constant 60 yard gap between the back 4 and Cisse

It’s not is fault that he plays Ben Arfa on his return from 4 months out on a below freezing plastic pitch in Moscow – May aswell have took an axe to his hamstring himself..

It wasn’t his fault that he has been relegated or sacked at his previous 3 clubs?

It’s generally just not his fault

• 102 Novocastrian66 // Apr 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM

In the last two matches we’ve been atrocious. We showed no ambition. Two conclusions can be drawn from this; either the players are rubbish or the manager is.
    Pardew has gone on record saying we’re not afraid of Benifica. Looked like they were scared of something last night. I’m sick of watching the attempted containment game plan.

• 103 Footballwatch // Apr 5, 2013 at 2:03 PM

If you wish you can watch the game in full and its highlights on http://www.footballwatch.net/team/139

• 104 yo-yo // Apr 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Beattie

We are not a “big name” in Europena terms – sleeping giant is about the kindest you could call us.

toon 252

Last night we were forced deep by Benfica’s aggressive attack and very high line, so the deep back four was more forced on us by their tactics – however as the plan was to challenge for possession in midfield, break quickly in counterattack etc., and we only did that for about half an hour over the 90 mins, I think we did fail to play to the tactics decided. I thought Cabs was too deep by about 5-10m a lot of the time. Pass and stand still is clearly a constant failing of ours.

• 105 TheBossMan // Apr 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM

We have too many attack minded players to even TRy and play containing football , its not natural to them… Unleash them and let them play…

• 106 Munster Mag // Apr 5, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I’ve cooled a lot on Pardew this season especially due to his messy tactics and silly excuses ( I especially liked blaming Senegal FA for messing up Cisse, who was worse than useless at the time ) . I only saw the end of the game last night due to travelling – but the TV guys were very praiseworthy and surely with more luck and less rubbish from Santon ( how many more times do I have to tell u how overrated he is on this forum ) and Taylor ( always prone to gaffes ) we could have got more out of the game?
    That said I dont think Carver Pardew and Co make up any sort of great coaching ticket. We nay have to wait a bit longer to judge him, but I think he got lucky last year. His instincts are that of a defensive midfielder ( such as he was ) and that shows at times in how conservatively we play, dont use our talents, and approach games with no real drive to win – hence why we have so many poor first halves. Then you look at the awful dead balls…..Its not impressive. And why did he make the coment about Benfica being 10th in the prem. That was a ridiculous thing to do. I had predicted 3-0 yesterday so at least 3-1 gives us a chance. PS If we get Benitez, I’m off to support the Somalians.

• 107 Munster Mag // Apr 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Good post Toon 252. Put simply we have far better players than most teams in the bottom 10 and we are slumming it. Incidentally, I’m beginning to worry about Mbiwa…..too casual for my liking. Perhaps he will adjust. But I was right about others like Obertan Gosling and Santon so we’ll see…..

previous post: Newcastle Linked With 6’4″ Bordeaux International Defender

next post: Have Newcastle Bid For Congolese Striker?