The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – One Of The Biggest Weeks Of My Newcastle Career

11:59 pm, Friday, April 5th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 42 Comments

Newcastle have lost four of their last seven games in all competitions, and three of the last four in the Premier League – so we must start putting some wins together if we are to survive in the Premier League.

alan pardew in lisbon

Alan Pardew – in Lisbon on Thursday

There are only seven games to go and two successive home wins against Fulham and Sunderland over the next nine days would be huge and would almost guarantee us safety in the league.

And make no mistake about it – after Mike Ashley brought in five good players in January, Alan Pardew is expected to use those resources to get us to safety in the Premier League.

This is what the Newcastle manager had to say in the Daily Mail:

“It is one of the biggest weeks in my period here. Momentum will be key for the whole of next week. It is important that we get ourselves in a real positive place.”

‘It is a big week in terms of the season, for sure, and we need to win. We will have to cope with the pressure. Can we? We are going to have to and I am confident that we have the ability in the squad to get ourselves into a position in the league where we will be a Premier League side next season.”

“That is the focus for Sunday and then we switch back to Thursday to try to climb what will be a difficult hill, not what I would call a mountain, but a decent hill, to try to get up it.”

“I think we have actually gained confidence from the way we played in Lisbon.” “When you go away from Benfica having been beaten 3-1, and you are really disappointed because you have gifted them two goals, you have got to take that into the next game.”

A win on Sunday will be a huge relief – and that wills et us up for giving it our best shot against Benfica on Thursday night to a sold out St. James’ Park.

And whatever happens on Thursday – and it’s unlikely we can save the tie there will be a sell out on Sunday when surely we have to beat Sunderland.

We are looking for two league wins at home against Fulham and Sunderland.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Premier League

42 responses so far ↓

• 1 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM

No Sh*t :)

• 2 Mister Tuff // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:07 AM

bpc -previous thread re Santon.
    Your comment about showing Santon the outside is absolutely correct. I have no doubt everybody knows he is going to cut inside but time after time they cannot stop him and he drifts inside with some ease -despite people knowing what he is going to do. His game does need developing though.

• 3 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:17 AM

There will be a time in his career where Santon is played as a winger/forward full of other players making runs for him in an attack minded team and he will be sensational!!

Sadly it probably wont be with us will probably be a Russian team or a resurgent AC Milan team if we keep him next season Debuchy and Haidara should be the fullbacks and he should be taking Jonas place further up

• 4 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Well its been fun. Night chaps ;)

• 5 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I feel pretty confident, I think we will get both of the wins against Fulham and the Makums.

For me, the tester and hard one is the Benfica game. What a buzz it would be to come from a 2-0 decefit and progress through to the semi’s at St James. It’s what dreams are made of.

• 6 Tsunki // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I thought I would just briefly come on here tonight to make a completely random expression.

the Kenya Emergency.

Ok, well it looks like job done, so goodnight.

• 7 nick_9 // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I’m a little concerned about us chasing the game on thursday with the derby being only two full days away. Ideally we would have a full week for the derby. Lost three games consecutively but imagine if we won the next three, cisse looked very lively the other night at times

• 8 Widowmaker // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Really feel Pardew is being out of depth lately. I was really opmistic with the Strengthed squad. Not that much now seeing him outfoxed in almost every game.

• 9 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:32 AM

It is also one of the biggest weeks for me as a fan!

…but I guess Pardew has opto make this all about himself once again.

I see Santon has apologised for his mistake how mighty big of him; shows good charecter I thing :-) Where is Saylor’s apologise? I would seriously like to wipe that big smile of that big baby’s face!

…what a tool!

• 10 valle // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Stuart NO.9… In response to my post about Taylor… Yah, perhaps that was a bit harsh, and ill forgive him again for the same reasons you mention. But what he did in that game just annoyed me, not so much because of the handball, those things happen, but most of all because of his acting afterwards and now that interview. If you made a mistake, man up and admit it! thats my view on it. I dont think he did then and I dont think he have done so afterwards neither. He is what? 27 now? Its time to take some responsibillity for him and act his age… What annoys me most of all though, is all this calling for “the 12th man”. He is not the only one who have done it, its the 10th time at least we have heard it this season from players and manager and that again smacks of a lack of responsibillity. The fans have been absolutely brilliant in most games I have seen, even though they have been served some utter c**p at times. So its time for players and manager to just let the fans get on with the supporting and start focussing on THEIR jobs!… Sorry for the rant, this club can do that to you at times, im sure allot of you understand ;)

• 11 jasper // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:58 AM

The contrast between How we play and most our opponents is striking, especially in advanced midfield. Most teams try to get the ball to someone 30 odd yards from goal who can get his head up and make a relatively short pass to a striker. Barca are the greatest exponents but many of our opponents have done this, not just Man city but Soton, Anzi and others.
    So how do we play? All the emphasis seems to be on bombing runs by Sissoko or Santon, neither of who get their heads up and pass, so no end product. Much earlier in the season I noted that when we are attacking the “hole” remains just that, a hole with no-one in it. There is a huge gap between the midfield and striker(s). This contrasts with Benefica who repeatedly got Rodrigez between and just goal side of Cabaya and Perch.
    Cisse is crying out for someone to play him in with s 10-20 yard pass into the slot but rarely gets one. We have at least three players who are effective in this role -Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Cabaye. We play two of these wide and the other deep. Instead the CAM role goes to Sissoko who is not a heads up player and who does not have the really sharp ball skills required for this role. The game against Chelsea didn’t make him a CAM.
    Given how little time he has had on the pitch and even less as a CAM Marveaux has a very high assist rate, for instance the Stoke goal, and when he drifted infield on Thursday we looked much more dangerous and Cisse nearly scored. But when he did so he was clearly instructed to get back out wide. He is just the player to play Cisse in and it must frustrate them both that he isn’t allowed the role. Similarly, as others have printed out, our 6 game streak last season happened with Cabaye as the CAM.
    I would add to this my frustration at our inability to play the ball out of tight corners – straightforward one-two touch football that mid table teams such Swansea manage every game. This led to the Santon error onThursday. We don’t support the ball carrier. This encourages teams to press us.
    It is this failure of coaching, tactics and strategy that puts me in the anti Pardew camp.

• 12 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:01 AM

The more i watch Santon the more i seem to be comparing with Jose Enrique when he played for us?

He started off as a left back too and developed later into a good winger, if i remember rightly he used to cut inside a lot too !
    Another player who is well known for cutting inside and shooting is Arjen Robben, if done too often though, the opposition knows exactly what is happening, and try and find a way to stop it. If done quickly though, it is a good tactic and works well.

Further to this i am a bit pissed off from all the bad-ass comments from a lot of people on here towards both Santon and Taylor since thursdays match !
    It don,t take away my disappointment with how we gifted Benfica their win and you can be as pissed off as you can be about it !

BUT, mistakes happen and these lads give their all in every game, and i for one support everyone of them to the hilt, un-reservedly. They are wearing the Black n Whites after all.

Some of the so called supporters on here just need to get behind the Team and stop with all the vitriolic comments on here every time something goes wrong !
    Rant Over !

• 13 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:07 AM

@11:

Agree with what your saying jasper but it was difficult reading ! A suggestion, try using a paragraph occasionally, breaks up your comments and makes them easier to read!

Just a thought !

If someone had been close to Santon on thursday when his back pass happened, he could of passed it and got himself out with another option ! He could also of just put the ball into touch?

• 14 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Further to this @ 11 :

I am still in the camp that supports Pardew but am reserving my judgement and waiting to see where we are come the end of the season !

It maybe getting to the stage where Ashley will let him go and bring in some-one else? Can still remember my surprise and consternation when he sacked Chris Hughton !

Come the Summer it will be interesting to see what happens ?

• 15 Spuggy // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM

The ref made us lose against Wigan and the should have had a red card and disallowed goal. The other loss was away to man c, so lets put this in context.

Against benfica, We were also without debuchy, Gouffran, colo and HBA who are all massive players for us. I thought Cisse played like last season and was very unlucky to see two hit the post. They scored two out of nothing, we can definitely take them at home.

• 16 eaststandgeordie1982 // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Its so frustrating the way our team is being managed. I have had enough of pardew now 2 of our best players are playing in positions that makes them look avarege, cabaye and sissoko.

• 17 Bambams // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I have looked at our fixtures that remain. In all fairness chaps there are plenty of points to pick up from these games.

I can understand the players wanting the fans to get behind them and its noticeable Ash is selling tickets at reduced price to leave very few empty seats.

Which makes me wonder if Ash knows we are in bother and wants the stadium full or just wants more coin. Actually I will go with the former, he has grown on me lately so will give him the benefit.

Been reading all the comments about Benitez and I think the overall opinion is he would be preferable to Pards. I still cannot decide if the players are all very loyal to Pards and this will make it difficult for any new manager.

Blanc would have a slight advantage I suppose.

Time will tell

• 18 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Valle @ post 10…one of the best and most acurate posts I have read in the aftermath of the Benfica game!

…very well written endeed!

• 19 eaststandgeordie1982 // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Bambams

I think blanc would be nearly all the fans choice but would ashley give him what he wants?

• 20 bills-son // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:10 AM

The Fulham game is going to test the nerve of all of us, Pardew, the players and the fans – especially if we concede the first goal.

I’ve said for a few weeks that I really fear for us if we go into our last three games needing points to stay up. We have to beat Fulham and Sunderland. Absolutely have to.

If we get relegated it will be the biggest disaster in the club’s history.

• 21 eaststandgeordie1982 // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Bills

I agree mate im so nervous about sunday they seem to be our bogey team aswell thats making it worse.

• 22 Bambams // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:12 AM

@eaststand…..

I have blogged his name a few times and wondered if it would have been possible to get him over as a coach til the end of the season. The club would use the French link stating he is mentor to new signings so Pards does not lose face. Blanc is available and I am sure he would be willing to come over.

Just my opinion.

• 23 Troy Stavers // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:18 AM

@Bambams

My doubts would be over the finances. The Toon won’t pay him a big contract and balancing the books each season does not interest the big name coaches.

On the face of it, they will show interest but when negotiations start then they will quickly flee to the hills.

That’s why we ended up with Pards on peanuts.

Just my take on the situation. ;-)

• 24 eaststandgeordie1982 // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Well its showing now that if you pay peanuts you get shite.

I see jose has told chelski he wants 12m a year and a big kitty.

• 25 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Troy…I beg the difference. Look at Laudrup at Swansea.

…on Blanc he has previously managed Bordeaux and he does not seem to demand high wages or to have high demand on transfers!

In fact he seems reasonable :-)

• 26 Troy Stavers // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:32 AM

@Jesper

I fail to see how Laudrup could demand big wages when he went to Swansea. He had no great managerial record to speak of.

He’s had one good season with Swansea. Lets see what happens next season before Laudrup is considered a top manager.

• 27 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Troy…my point was that you can actract a great manager without him wanting big wages of transfer.

…what has Blanc really done to set him off compared to Laudrup?

Laudrup:

- Has been ass. to Morten Olsen the Danish National coach
    - Has managed Brøndby and made Champions
    - Managed Getafe and done really well
    - Has managed Mallorce (FIFA trew them out of the EL because of finanses – not his fault)
    - Has managed Spartak Moscow

*this is the kind of manager I would like!

• 28 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM

* of = or

• 29 Troy Stavers // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM

@Jesper

He’s really achieved little though if the facts be known.

Give him 2 or 3 seasons in the premier and allow clubs to work out his team and then see how good he is.

If you never had a clue about Pardew and Laudrup and looked at their records then Pardews recent achievements would look better.

• 30 Troy Stavers // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Before I get slated, the League cup is a reserve team cup and luck has an awful amount to do with it.

Finishing 5th and quarters of the Europa league is consistency.

I don’t see Laudrup as a top manager just like I don’t see Pardew as one either.

Rafa would be better IMO but I don’t believe he would be attracted once he tried to negotiate terms with Ashley.

• 31 Harley // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Troy I agree with you on laudrup. I’ve been saying the same to anyone who’ll listen.

I’m not saying he’s going to fail but he needs to show what he can do next season before he gets too much praise.

I know he won the league cup but they played Bradford in the final. Pardew had a great season and got to the final but played Liverpool. Even then he was minutes from a win.

Lets wait and see how well laudrup does next season and wait and see how pardew does next season then we can start comparing.

• 32 Marty-Toon // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I think Laudrup is a lot better tactically in comparison to AP but don’t think we’d get him to come ere anyway

• 33 valle // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:36 AM

@Jesper… Thx mate, we do share nationalities though, are you sure you aint biased? ;)

• 34 Marty-Toon // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Harley
    The thing is that he also did well before he came to Swansea.
    He’s got an intelligent football brain
    AP hasn’t really got a great cv although was unlucky to come up against Liverpool who got lucky in the end of the game.
    Other than that though his teams have struggled.
    He has a decent squad now at the toon but I agree he needs another year to try it out and hopefully with less injuries(our injuries are a joke) we will see what he can do.
    On the negative,even when we’ve had a decent team on the pitch we have played some serious dross this season.
    To think that Obertan has been given a million chances and Xisco who actually looked a player on his first few appearances never got another chance,go figure?

• 35 Marty-Toon // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Troy
    I agree that Rafa is a decent tactician,although very defensive.
    He has a tendency to use a heck of a lot f cash and wouldn’t be allowed that freedom here thank God as web had that before

• 36 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Spuggy

There are always people out there with excuses. At the end of the day what do they say – the table doesn’t lie.

We have been woeful pretty much all season and it’s not just down to injuries. Our tactics against even the bottom and newly promoted teams teams have been truly awful and most teams have out – passed us, out – thought us and generally been much fitter than us.

We aren’t where we are because of Wigan and city. We have these conversations after pretty much every match. Coincidence I don’t think so.

Pardew bought the wrong players for his direct and defensive system and I don’t think he even knows which system to play now so god help the players.

Jasper has it right. There are no triangles, no one twos or supporting the man in possession like the best teams do.
    We are the most static team in the league.

Most managers would love the likes of Marveaux , Cabaye, Sissoko, M’Biwa, Anita etc in their team and would not stifle the life out of their creativity. But when all you practice is defense which we aren’t exactly great at what can you expect?

Instead of enjoying the moment Pardew has slagged off the Europa all season and made excuses until he realised it was the only cup we had progressed further than the first round in and the only thing diverting people from one of our worst seasons ever.

Cisse was desperately unlucky against Benfica and could have had a hat trick on another day but that game coupled with the Reading game at home where Marveaux was subbed off again illustrated we operate well in 20 min cameos before we run out of legs and positive ideas.

5th last year was great but even then with more positivity and less tinkering we could possibly have got 4th. Sometimes Pardew seems scared of his own shadow despite all his misplaced arrogant waffle.

I know AP is here to stay and if Carrol comes back Pardew will be happy, but then cue an exodus of our real footballers, the like of which we may not see again for a while. And then there were 3, Pulis, Allardyce and Pardew.

• 37 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM

harley

may only have beaten bradford in the final but look who they beat to get there.

• 38 Marty-Toon // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Rotonda
    Your bang on with saying the table doesn’t lie,we’ve been watching rubbish all year.
    We’ve had a team made up of South Americans and internationals yet we’ve looked like a team that haven’t practiced passing a ball to each other from 5 yards.
    We’ve got quality players but with a couple of players mixed in the team that destroys the balance.
    Obertan gets the ball and what happens?
    The opposition get it passed to them,he’s like playing with ten men.
    Almost all season it’s been the same with Jonas although he’s played well of late art from LB .
    I also fear that if we continue this rubbish next year then Krul,Cabaye and Sissoko will pack their bags and we won’t be so lucky to buy talent like those so cheap again

• 39 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM

@15 :

We could,nt pick Debuchy or Gouffron even if Fit ?

They are both Cup-Tied for the Europa League!

• 40 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Agree with most comments on here.

To change Trainers in the last part of a season would not be a good thing to do me-thinks !

Most of ther players we have got now, are Pardew,s aquisitions, remember, and i,m not sure how a change of trainer would affect them !

If you want another trainer i would say wait till the end of the season?

• 41 Stu-Prudhoe // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Read through all the posts, I think as supporters of the club we need to back the team and back Pardew. I would love Mourinho as manager but that isn’t ever gna happen. For years we have been talking and wanting stability and as soon as we have a poor season, everyone wants Pardews head. You didn’t want it last season wen we were 5th. Give the man a break. If we are relegated yeah change the manager, but he deserves to see out the season and in my opinion a few more years. Even Ferguson would of struggled with the injuries we have had this season. START BEING REAL FANS AND BACK THE TEAM WHATEVER> THATS WHAT TRUE FANS DO.

• 42 ainsworld2 // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM

@jasper

I have been reading this blog for a long time. And I have signed up just to say…. your post is one of the things I have been saying for a long time and well said !!! Hit the nail on the head. If only Pardew could see it !!!

previous post: Davide Santon Angry With Himself – Back Pass Was A Disaster