The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew Delivers Some Disappointing News On The Injury Front

3:58 pm, Saturday, April 6th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 191 Comments

Alan Pardew gave his press conference this afternoon for the vital Fulham game at home tomorrow, and as expected he gave an injury update – but it was hardly good news that the Newcastle manager delivered.

alan pardew press conference before Villa game late Jnauary

Alan Pardew – delivered disappointing news on injuries

No players will be back for the Premier League game tomorrow afternoon so Mathieu Debuchy, Fabricio Coloccini, Hatem Ben Arfa, Massadio Haidara and Cheick Tiote will all miss this important game – five players missing.

We had hoped that Cheick and Massadio would be back tomorrow, since last week Alan had said they could even make the game in Lisbon – but we suppose they are not recovering as quickly as expected, from their injuries.

So even though we brough in five new players in January we continue to be plagued by injuries to some of our best players.

This is what Alan said about the injuries:

“We have Debuchy, Ben Arfa, Coloccini, Tiote probably all missing tomorrow, and Massadio, so we are missing four or five really big players, which we have done all year if I’m honest, with the injuries that we’ve had for one reason or another.”

“But I still think we have a good side tomorrow to put on the pitch tomorrow and we are hoping to get a great result for our fans, who have been so patient with us.” “And traveled out to Benfica with us where the display was of the right order but the result not.”

“A win will give us momentum of course, and also into the Sunderland game, which is looming on the horizon for a number of reasons that’s going to be a critical game, so we need to win if we can.” “At this time of the season and the position we are in we need to play our best team.

“And I’ll play my best team on Sunday regardless of resting anybody.”

The coaching staff and medics should really look into why we have had so many injuries this season – something that used to hit Newcastle big time some years ago, when Graeme Souness and Glenn Roeder were the Newcastle managers.

Some of it is obviously because of the extra games in Europe and not having a big enough squad, and some of our players are simply playing far too many games.

But it’s not good news about the injuries this afternoon, because almost the same players will need to play tomorrow as played on Thursday night in Lisbon – with only potentially Yoan Gouffran coming into the side.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Injuries · Newcastle News · Premier League

191 responses so far ↓

• 1 bills-son // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Finding Ashley has been in his wife’s knickers and she loved it is too good for JFA.

• 2 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM

This is what I would like Pardew to say for once: “We are missing 4-5 players, but we still have a very good squad. We are not much worse for wear than the average PL team. Ww wil go and win on Sunday”.

No bullshit, no excuses and not painting it black. Just say we are ok and we will win. Maybe if he starts to believe it himself, then maybe it will happen!

• 3 Tayls // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM

@Alan Pas-de-clue

Howay mate imagine midweeek against Real Madrid then a weekend at Scunthorpe haha. The championship is easy man. Surely something similar to those glory days of Asprilla vs Barca is worth 1 season of Championship football.

• 4 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM

It seems Benny was disqualified from driving today after pleading guilty to driving offences!

• 5 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Jesper

That’s exactly what he’s just said so where’s the need for a dig?

• 6 Novocastrian66 // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Forget the Euro league. We need two wins in the league this week. We have a tough run of fixtures after these two home games and we do not want to go into them with poor results. I’m starting to get a bit worried now.

• 7 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM

tads…really?

“…we have ‘names removed’ missing tomorrow, so we are missing four or five really big players, which we have done all year if I’m honest, with the injuries we have had one reason or another.”

“… we hope to get a great result for our fans, who have been so patient with us.” “We need to play our best team and I’ll play my best team on Sunday regardless of resting anybody.”

Maybe that means something different in English than Danish, but that is not man saying we have injuries like everyone else, but we will win tomorrow.

Why do you presist on saying I am having a dig at him? You simply cannot be critical of anything Newcastle can you – except at those who doesn’t see things your way!

• 8 fergies left foot // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Why is MacDOnald still given permission to write his piss-poor negative articles. nothing worth reading. just stating the obvious..
    poor old man must be afraid to be forgotten.

• 9 geordie157 // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Newton has scored for St Mirren, give him and Inman 1yr deals and get them out to Championship sides, hoping one of them can keep pushing on and make it as a premier league player.

• 10 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Jesper
    Criticise when there’s one to be made

So how is that different to what you wanted him to say exactly, he says we have injuries, but still have a good squad and they want to get a great result
    Think you maybe right jesp maybe you need to tweak your translations because wanted you wanted pardew to say is right there at the top of the page in black and white

• 11 achtoon // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:26 PM

jesper, why would he say like every other team?? is that factually correct? I wouldn’t say something I didn’t know was factually correct. I’m with TADs on this one. We have 5 injuries to key players and he still thinks we are good enough for a win tomorrow. can’t see anything wrong with that.

• 12 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Tired of seeing the word “injury” this season. It’s completely ridiculous.

Roll on the day we have a fully fit squad with a strong bench. I think we did in January and it was brilliant. You can stomach the odd bread and butter injuries, a player missing the odd game or so. But it’s a disgrace when your missing 4 international quality players and bouncing from Europa League to Premier League with 2 days recovery. The terrible thing about this is they are again going to be susceptible to picking up niggles.

These players are going to be wrecked after 70 minutes tomorrow and they are going to have to dig right in to get these 3 points.

I have faith and think we will succeed, but I can see a tough hard nervous 15-20 minutes if there is only a goal in it.

• 13 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Are anybody watching Norwich vs. Swansea?

…Swansea is really crumbling under pressure!

• 14 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM

achtoon…where did I say like every other team?

well what can I say about you agreeing with tads? should that make a difference?

Sure tads!

• 15 cyprus // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Santon apologised, did Saylor? Not that it really matters. Villa winning, Soton won, are we in trouble? Come on, players, even Shearer manager form (5 points out of 8 games) should see us safe.
    btw, if the Europa League is tiring you (such a shame), play the under 12 year olds…

• 16 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Jesper
    What are getting bent out of shape about lad? You really don’t like ppl disagreeing with you do you
    You said you wanted pardew to acknowledge we still had a good squad injuries aside, which in that statement he does, then you say you want him to state we can win, which he does, the only thing he doesn’t do that you asked is compare us to the other 19 teams in the league which tbh there’s no need for him to do

• 17 cyprus // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Ok, Stoke drew

• 18 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:39 PM

tads…I don’t mind ppl disagreeing with me! Don’t like it when ppl can’t quote me correctly or misintrepred me.

…just disagree with you and read Pardew’s statement different than you. And you know seeing things dirrerent than you doesn’t make it wrong!

• 19 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Jesper
    How have I misinterpreted or misquoted you in any way at all

• 20 cyprus // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Villa 3 points…

• 21 cyprus // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Wigan, Villa, Nufc + Sunderland.

Who deserves to go down? Who will?

• 22 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Cyprus…I don’t think Saylor has apologised!

tads…didn’t say you misquoted or misintrepred me. But since you were naming things I didn’t like I just thought I would threw a few things in there…

I just disagree with alot mate get you to it. And remember when you read somthing a certain way and you come along someone who reads it differently, then remember it just a difference of opinion.

You and I have difference of opinion.

• 23 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Cyprus,

I don’t really get this slating Taylor? I’v read numerous comments.

He’s been a shining light since he came back and that is all im interested in to be honest.

Im hoping he has a big game tomorrow

• 24 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM

well that was suppose to be English! sorry…

• 25 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM

We desperately need to win tomorrow

• 26 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Afternoon :)

Rotonda…Is that really the only positive you can see? That we have good players? Was there nothing that impressed you during the Benefica game? We started strongly and imo took the game to them…for a while at least. A positive sign.

Jesper…I’ve looked again at the Taylor incident and really don’t see him smirking or anything like that at all. It was a stupid mistake, we know it, he knows it. I could go further with it, but what’s the point? :)

Wtf happened with Swansea? They were meant to get the 3 points today. How dare they give Norwich a point ;)

• 27 BeeGuy // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Way too many injuries. I suspect that practices are too demanding, there is too much running in games because there is no basic settled line-up that knows each other, and the NUFC p[layers are smaller than most of the other PL squads. NUFC may get good buys because the players are injury prone (ben-arfa) or too small.

• 28 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Ibiza…I cannot find the smirk thing…hope I haven’t dreamt it :D

• 29 Ben_BKK // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Results have really gone against us today. Southampton now 4 ahead of us, Villa level on points when they were dead and buried just a few weeks back when Pardew was saying we’re safe. If Wigan beat QPR tomorrow then we could be joint 4th bottom, or as bad as 3rd bottom if Sunderland win.

We should easily be good enough to get out of trouble but we need to start picking up points sharpish!

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Looking at the way Stoke are in freefall a win tomorrow wouldn’t gaurantee safety but it would definitely calm a lot of nerves.

• 31 Novocastrian66 // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Cyprus you have to include Stoke in the shake up. I think Wigan will survive as will Villa. Between Stoke and Sunderland for the last spot. Reading and QPR gone. I think we will be okay but we have to get 3 points tomorrow to ease the pressure. If we lose tomorrow we are right in it too.

• 32 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Villa have Benteke on fire he is the leagues top scorer since January sort of like the great run Cisse had last season

We really need to beat Fulham 2moro nothing less than a win will do feel its going to be a tough ask

Just hope big Demba does us a favour and scores a few into Sunderland the mora !

• 33 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Jesper…I think you may have tbh – easy enough to get caught up in the moment :)

Jail…That’s where I am at. We just need something to be positive about again. Playing City and Benefica away was likely to be a demoralising experience, time to get things back on track. Tomorrow is that time as whilst we’re in a fair bit of sh*t, I look at the teams around us and think they’re in a bigger pile. But we need to get points. Here’s hoping.

• 34 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Ben…Before I write Sunderland off, which I sort of have, I am intrigued to see if Di Canio can muster something up there. I don’t see it, but maybe any sort of spark will be enough for them. Can’t see it against Chelsea mind.

• 35 Ben_BKK // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Ibiza – a lot of other teams are only in a slightly bigger pile than us. Villa have been shocking most of the season yet they’re now level on points with us!

• 36 Ben_BKK // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Ibiza – No one really saw Southampton beating Chelsea either…

My uncle’s a Sunderland fan and he already believes they’re going down, has done since the Norwich game where they couldn’t beat a team that was down to 10 men for an hour.

• 37 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Ben…Don’t get me wrong, we’re in the mix, I just think other teams are slightly worse off. Basically it’s in our hands.

We have a game in hand over Villa and we need to take the opportunity to put some distance between us again.

• 38 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Ibiza…do you think i have to be the bigger man and say i am sorry? :)

• 39 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Jesper…Nah. The stupid prat gifted them a penalty – I’d say you’re even ;)

• 40 JAMSHA // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM

just saw villa won…. fk. . need a win tomoro… or v r fkd

• 41 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I’d really like to see Marveux in the hole tomorrow. He is producing.

Drop Sissoko back along side Cabaye, his energy levels are going to be important getting from box to box tomorrow I feel. Marveux can do the running pushing forward.

Gouffran, Cisse and Jonas to make up the numbers.

It’s all becoming exciting, nervous. I can’t wait for every game!

• 42 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Prodigy…I’m with you. Sissoko with Cabaye holding back and Marv in the hole. Sorted ;)

• 43 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Ibiza,

It would be interesting to see how Cabaye and Sissoko would play together in there. Especially with no Tiote. Whether he goes with this who knows? Marveux is fitting though to be playing there and he deserves it on current form. Him and Cisse seem to have developed a good understanding. He is finding him more and more.

If we keep this formation, the only other option is to put Anita in but do we really want to bench Marveux or Sissoko? You would of thought not for this game. Here’s hoping.

• 44 Ketsbaia9 // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Marveuax is creating one or two lethal assists in every match. He has to play in every game from now.

My team for tomorrow would be:

Krul

Gosling Saylor Mbiwa Santon

Sissoko Cabaye Anita Gutierrez

Marveaux

Cisse

Gosling can get the odd goal and gets in good positions. Simmo doesn’t offer anything.

• 45 Novocastrian66 // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Just listened to Tony Pulis on sky. He has more excuses than Pardew. He reckons they should have had two pens, and that they’re not carrying any luck. Charlie Nicholas said Stoke were rubbish and it could been a hammering if not for Begovic.
    Stoke have a decent run of fixtures after Man Utd next week with only Spurs to play from the top half. The rest of their games are against teams around the drop zone; QPR, Sunderland, Norwich then finish away to Southampton. If they do not get 6-7 points out of that lot they’ll deserve to go down.

• 46 Tommyy // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I’m in agreement with Marv in the hole, or even a 433 at home. But we won’t see it, it’ll be the usual set up to try and stop us from conceding, which we inevitably will.
    Sissoko hasn’t the experience to play CAM for me, Marv can unlock defences and is often on yhe same wavelength as Cisse.
    Anything but that same old 451 rubbish as it has been, it clearly doesn’t work and teams are sussing us out with ease.
    We need to shock Fulham at home and change it up to get a good win.

• 47 AwToonnufc // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Everytime Pardew says someone should be back for the next game, I just ignore it and add about a month on to what ever he has said. Its pointless trying to cover it up as it just gets peoples hopes up. Just tell it how it is.

• 48 toon kk // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Just hope that we can put pressure on them tomorrow and keep our confidence up, if we let them get on top we seem to panic and make silly mistakes. I think it will go down to the wire. We badly need a new striker and more service up front. The main problem at the start of the season apart from no proper investment in the squad was I don’t think we were match fit then along came all the injuries.

• 49 Tommyy // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM

The injury front is a joke, that needs sorting first and formist before we begin to lure Benitez in! It’s chronic.

• 50 boater // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Having injuries sets the tone for before we’ve kicked a ball.

Based on cold hard data, we have won 2 league games in a row just once all season, also only once have we managed two home wins- and that was with one 1st team regular missing, not 5. Based on all info. from this season, we are not going to win the next 2 league games. Hopefully one, and nick a win elsewhere. Hopefully.

The Benfica return is not happening. We have only managed to win a game by more than 1 goal – 3 times in around 50 attempts all season in all competitions.

• 51 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Tommy,

I think the 4-2-3-1 is the best we can do, it plays to the strengths of the players we have available. Unless you want to revert to a 4-4-2 and play Gouffran up with Cisse and Marv on the left. My only change would be to have Ben arfa on the right instead of Jonas or Obertan in a 4-2-3-1. Unless you have something else in mind?

The more I look at that team, the more i’d prefer Sissoko along side Cabaye any day of the week due to his fitness and energy levels.

Our fitness is going to be a major factor in tomorrows result I feel. Having Sissoko in the middle of the park would be benficial I think.

• 52 boater // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM

*defeat

• 53 OhSholaAmeobi // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM

the teams most at risk at the moment are the likes of us, sunderland, stoke and villa, could even count norwich in that. stoke are on a wretched run, west ham/fulham have a game in hand on us, and villa just got a massive win. and if wigan beat qpr tomorrow sunderland drop into the relegation zone. all this means that a win is imperative tomorrow at all costs to keep the distance. 2 on the trot would mean a climb to 12/13th and virtual safety.

• 54 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM

What about a 4-3-3 with a midfield more defensive minded allowing the the fullbacks the room and confidence to push forward and the widemen to play as inside forwards insteads.

Should give us more men in the box and two deeplying midfielders to safeguard the defense.

We would profit both offensive and defensive I think :-) just a thought!

Before this season I was a fan of us playing 4-2-3-1, but playing with an ACM doesn’t seem to work for us. We played the best football last season in a 4-3-3 lineup I think!

Any thoughts? Tads? ;-)

• 55 bills-son // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:00 PM

The way some of you go on about Pardew is laughable.

You make it out as if the guy is clueless, deliberately plays players out of position and tells our attacking players not to cross the half way line and to concentrate on playing hoofball.

Have you ever thought that if that was the case players would be lining up demanding transfers and defo not telling their french mates to sign for us?

Thought not.

Pardew has been dealt a crap hand with inuries this year and whilst he could have done better there is absolutely no doubt that injuries and a constantly weakened/unsettled team has been the main reason for our poor form.

• 56 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Jesper,

Who would you field in a 4-3-3 at the moment? I thought that worked great with Ben arfa last season. He was pivotal for us.

Is simpson fit? If he is starting that could be a problem as he isn’t as good as Debuchy going forward. I thought he did well on Thursday though, it was refreshing to see. He will gain alot of confidence from that.

• 57 martoon // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM

bills-son @54 – Totally agree, many on here think it is so simple if you play a certain formation you will win. It works in FIFA13 but not in the real world where the oppostion are doing their best to stop you.

• 58 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Bills-son,

I hold the same thoughts regarding our season.

• 59 boater // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM

bills-son – Your ostrich impersonation is the best on this blog. I don’t care about his team selections – that’s his call but Pardew is now almost incapable of sending out a team strong enough tactically and psychologically to win a game of football. Nowt else comes in to it.

Everton made Europe without a striker in the team a few seasons ago. Man U played a third a season without any central defenders. Even with our injury list we should be above the likes of Norwich, West Ham, Southampton, Stoke, etc.

• 60 Ketsbaia9 // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Forgot about Gouffran.

We could play this team:

Krul

Anita Saylor Mbiwa Santon

Sissoko Cabaye Marveaux Gutierrez

Cisse Gouffran

• 61 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Jesper
    What

• 62 The next Mike Williamson // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Pardew bringing out the excuses before a balls been kicked again.

This sends out the wrong signal to our players.

a) that we’re gong to possibly lose or have a tough game
    b) he doesn’thave faith in those playing

Negative talks, negative tactics

• 63 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Bills

Seems fair…although other than a handful of games we haven’t seemed to play very attacking football during pardew’s reign.

I think he is naturally cautious as a manager which people don’t like. If winning people can usually brush it asside but when losing it amplifies problems.

I presume you would swap ben arfa for messi….and probably pardew for guardiola?

so would you swap pardew for say benitez? laudrupp? somebody that level?

just out of curiosity.

• 64 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Prodigy…I am glad you asked :)

I don’t think playing 4-2-3-1 would be any easier thn 4-3-3 with the lpayers we are missing. The difference in how you construct the midfield.

You could play your widemen as inside forwards in a 4-2-3-1 as well.

I would play it like this:

__________________ Krul __________________
    Simmo____Mbiwa___Not Saylor____Santon
    ____________Cabs_______Anita_____________
    ________________ Sissoko __________________
    Marv_________________________________Gouf
    _________________ Cissé ___________________

You we are going forward Marv can cut inside in the hold behind Cissé and Simmo can push up into midfield. Gouf can inside next to Cissé and Santon can play as a winger.

It will look like a assymetric 4-3-3. If Fulham catch us on a counter then the two deeplying CM will safaguard the defense.

This way we will always have at least two in the box and three if we ply our tactic right.

Well that’s how I play 4-3-3 and it works brilliantly :)

• 65 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM

martoon

I dont think its as simple as a formation….not fussed if we play 442, 433, 4231, 343….anything

I just think no matter who we have on the pitch or how we line up, we always seem to be on the backfoot too often and just wait for something to happen.

We have a reliance on ben arfa to work some magic, or for cisse to score a screamer or even for cabaye to get a free kick…we are always relying on a bit of magic.

Now i’m not saying this is pardew’s plan…but if it’s not he is struggling to find other ways too play. I might be being harsh but i would like an upgrade if available.

• 66 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM

jesper

Last year with cabaye in the CAM role we played some good stuff….he did well playing behind cisse (particularly stoke at home, assist and 2 goals himself).

I think our problem with using a CAM is that when we have done this year the wide players haven’t got involved enough in the box to give options, just means cisse is marked well and cabaye cannot find him.

• 67 bills-son // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Boater – what you an other fans never take into account is that the squad at the start of the season wasn’t strong enough to withstand injuries or the loss of form of Cabaye and Tiote. That wasn’t Pardew’s fault. He was forced to play kids who proved they weren’t good enough witnessed by the fact that they’ve shipped outvon loan.

On top of that Pardew has had to constantly change the team not only because of injuries but also for the Europa.

He then gets five new players in Jan and in no time Krul, HBA, Colo, Santon, Debuchy, Tiote and Haidara are all injured. Back to square one.

You can’t get consistent performances from a team that is consistently being massively disrupted by injuries. That isn’t an excuse ffs it’s a fact.

Of course Pardew could have done better – Ferguson should have won the Champs Lge, the FA and League Cup – and I bet there are ManU fans on their blog knocking him for not doing exactly that.

I’m no ostrich, just a realist. The Pardew bashing is way over the top.

• 68 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Sage
    @64
    Personally think that’s because we play quite deep only ever seem to have one CM supporting in attack

• 69 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

jesper

Also…with your line up it would be possible to play as you say with the fullbacks really attacking but if it wasn’t working could always push cabaye or sissoko forward and play how i said above.

• 70 DarkSideofTheToon // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Bills son

@66

Seems like you just give the head of that nail an almighty smack

• 71 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM

tads

Gary neville did a bit on sunderland last week.

Similar problem to us in my view…said they sit too deep and win the ball inside their own half. Without pace this creates problems as you cant hit quick on the counter (like arsenal with walcott, cheslea with hazard, etc). It means teams can get back into shape before we can get at them.

Think its the same with us.

• 72 Ketsbaia9 // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I can’t drop Gutierrez as his performance against Benfica was fantastic. If anyone needs dropping it should be Simpson or Gouffran. Anita deserves to start. He’s wasted on the bench. Pardew seems to pick on the smaller players.

• 73 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM

kets

simmo is pretty small and he still plays him?

• 74 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Sage
    We sit far far too deep the problem is that we can’t actually seem to pick a pass to counter quickly we just hump it up the pitch

On are fullbacks, I can’t see the suggestion being made is any different to how we play anyway, santon and debuchy are possibly are biggest attacking threats as it is!
    My biggest gripe is that we play at home with 2 CDMs over one, when at home would like to see socks sitting deeper with cabs n marv pushed up the pitch

• 75 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Keys have to agree about guti thought he was fantastic against benfica and think he’s been doing much better since being switched to the right

• 76 bills-son // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Transfer – we can hit teams on the break when HBA is fit.

As for swapping HBA for Messi or Pardew for Guardiola – both are no brainers – but they aint going to happen.

A more realistic question is Laudrup for Pardew – imo thats a gamble. Laudrup has had one season in the Prem – and he wont finish as high as Pardew did last year albeit he won the Lge Cup. They’ve won one game since the cup win – against us of course – and he has been dead lucky that Michu has never missed a game this season. How donyou think Laudrup would have done if Michu, Williamson and two or or three of their other top players had of been injured as much as ours?

I want the best manager we can get – defending Pardew against way overcthe top criticism doesn’t mean I think he is the best manager we could have. Who we GET who would be better is a different matter all together.

• 77 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Fulham will be thinking;

“Now is as a good time to go and get three points away at our place “?

As long as they keep thinking that then we have a chance to beat them? A lot deoends in the Match officials again?
    Because with the game at Wigan we had a Dick-Heed for a Ref ?

C,mon, WIN WIN WIN !!!!!!!

• 78 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Bad English? Solly!

• 79 Mister Tuff // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM

It really annoys me that some of the blind faith brigade re- write history/the facts to suit their arguments. I’ve posted about this before and some don’t seem to grasp its meaning. Right now – note the use of the”royal” we -meaning “myself, Mike and Derek” ie three people -not one, not two but three -which includes Percy. What’s hard about getting that into your skulls.
    Direct quotes below from this site.
    Alan Pardew – We Made A Mistake
    10:30 am, Tuesday, December 18th, 2012
    “It is a difficult window, but I think we would like to get – definitely – one player in and not lose anybody. It could be that we lose a player, you never know.” “Obviously I lost Andy Carroll in this window and in a situation that wasn’t too dissimilar to what I’m in now two years ago, maybe it was a bit better.”

“But if that is the case then we need two players, and if we lose two then we need three.” “Myself, Mike and Derek all agree that we should have brought one more senior player in here.” “For whatever reason it didn’t happen.”

“And we have learnt from that lesson, and that’s what comes from the luxury which is the security of the owner.” “The owner has great faith in my ability and I have to reward that with what I think when we make an error, and say we have made a mistake.”

• 80 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Jesper,

Thats basically the way we have set-up. Only Tiote in for Anita and Jonas in for Marveux. I don’t think I would want a deep lying midfield especially at home and would want someone to push up from the centre to support Cisse. Marveux can do this brilliantly at the moment. I can see where your coming from, but I’d be very unsettled seeing us set up like that at home in a must win game.

I’v built myself up now to see Marveux in the hole, if he dosn’t play there im going to be annoyed haha. I really think he deserves a shot at this.

Lads,

I don’t understand peoples thoughts on us setting up defensively. We have played with three attackers in every game what I can remember. Granted Jonas isn’t really the attacking prowess he once was but the intention is there. Im sure he would love to field a forward 3 of Gouffran Cisse and Ben Arfa. He has actually said he would not long back before Bennys set-back. I personally think it’s just underperforming players all over the park and a lack of confidence due to bad results.

• 81 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM

tads

yeh true….plyers dont have to be defensive or attacking, players can attack, whoever is in best position at the time gets forward, then somebody fills in for them…whether its a fullback, defensive mid, attacking mid, winger etc etc…if we are in a position to commit a lot forward do it…if not hold back until ready.

• 82 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Transfer Sage
    Correct we can’t hit teams on the break – but the way I see it is we always want a extra touch on the ball – and by the time we have had the extra touch the opposition are in position.

Thats why Cisse gets caught offside so many times – he plays on the shoulder of the lsat defender. He is making his move gone on his run and we are still fannying on on the ball
    And I put that down to confidence

• 83 yo-yo // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Why are so many people slagging off Pardew for his pre-match comments on injuries ?
    He wasn’t negative – just told it like it is.
    It almost looks like some guys want us to fail, secretly, so they can say I told you so – that is the Catchy mentality and very corrosive.
    I’m really disappointed we haven’t got one of of our new FBs back plus Tiote. It makes the bench so much weaker and really limits Pards options for game changing subs.
    I’m seriously anxious for this game – but Fulham don’t travel that well, we’re at home and it’s down to the dogfight now.

• 84 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I just want us to go after teams a lot more. We saw what we can do against great teams like Benfica & Man U (both away) with injuries, but we try to hold leads against teams like reading for 30 minutes at home FFS. Does my head in

• 85 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM

And forgot – got to play marvo tomorrow as he can pick the pass/killer ball

• 86 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Bills

Yeh i was just using the extreme example to show that most are willing to change if the perfect manager was available…its just where we draw the line for change.

I agree laudrupp has had key players available all year, the real test of a manager is when things are going against him, which laudrupp hasn’t had to show yet.

But this is where Pardew has failed for me. With our injuries i don’t expect 5th again but we should have picked up more points or at least threatened in more games where we haven’t really offered a lot.

I do think we could get a better manager. Have a great scouting system and we have brought in a lot of good players this past 2 years. This is a lot better set up than a lot of clubs on the continent where they have had to sell off a lot of players as well as having little to no say in the transfer market, a lot work under a director of football.

so I do think we could get a decent level manager from the continent

• 87 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Also
    Whats the betting when we get a corner we lob it into the box all our players stand in a line then peel off each other and the ball goes nowhere near there run/move.

• 88 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:54 PM

charlie

thats true, without ben arfa we lack that player with absolute confidence in his own ability, even when off form, who is willing to stand up and not hide.

I think we need a big performance from cabaye, marv and guti tomorrow….need them to demand the ball and not be afraid to get on the ball and put fulham on the back foot.

• 89 bills-son // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Transfer, I’ve got no doubt whatsover that Ashley would get shot of Pardew if he thought he wasn’t up to the job. If we stay up, strengthen the squad with another 3/4 quality signings in the summer and keep our best players – if we aren’t in the top 8 at least by Xmas and playing attractive attacking football then I think Pardew’s job could well be under threat.

I keep saying it – Ashley is hugely ambitious – and I think he’ll see next season as the one where should really establish ourselves as a top six club.

But it could all turn to ratshyt if we don’t beat Fulham.

• 90 toon kk // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM

We seem capable of playing well for periods then everything falls apart. We usually need a goal to motivate us. It doesn’t matter which formation we play. Never known a team so lackluster in some games then capable in others.

• 91 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM

TS…that was a good game last season against Stoke. And you are right Cabs did well in that game as an ACM.

But I don’t think we have seen many of these games sadly :(

I agree on the widemen conundrum, but it also seems they have wau to way defensive duties because our midfield construction.

I just think we need to maximize the best out of our offensive and defensive options. What we are doing is not working I think. Cissé is all alone up on top an Sissoko is running around in the hole adding not much.

Well that is at east how I see it :)

• 92 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM

In regards to Pardews comments,

He has a responsibility to let the fans know regarding injuries, I don’t see this as excuses at all. Im Sure he would love to be sitting there saying we have a fully fit squad. I’v never had a problem with his public displays I think he handles himself ok.

He also has a responsibilty to protect his players at times aswell. And also himself. The only problem I’v had was when he says we were safe not long back, I thought that was very premature. When I sat and thought about it I quickly realised (or so I thought) that he was just relaxing his players for the Thursday game in the Europa. He wanted them to forget about the league for that night. It was a big game.

There is alot of mind games and reasons for the things he says. Not all will make sence to us.

• 93 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM

bills

I think ashley is ambitious just not exactly sure how to get things done right all the time. He is improving the academy but I would really like him to completely overhaul it (he might be doing that, not sure). I want us set up like ajaz…a solid coaching set up to bring the best youngsters through and give them the best chance to succeed (i appreciate it takes time so happy as long as progress is being made).

And not sure what ashley sees as a goal, a finishing point if you will. He will know the prem league is out of reach…he simply hasn’t got the spending power to win compete with man utd and man city. We might get 4/5 good players every year but they can buy 4/5 world class players i they feel their grip on the top is slipping and we cannot.

I’d be very happy with regular top 6/7 and pushing for champs league, a few good cup runs (ideally a win too).

• 94 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:06 PM

jesper

I think there is good points to both systems we recommend.

And with the line up you have it would be possible to switch between both during a game depending on how effective each one was in that match.

• 95 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Prodigy…personally I think we have set out in a 4-2-3-1 but ended up playing like we did last season in a 4-4-2.

…basically we have looked more like playing 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1. So might have to say I disagree with you on that one :)

For me it is more about maximazing the about of each player to get the best out of the formation both offensive and defensive.

I think we would be more lethal with two inside forwards supporting Cissé than one in the hole.

• 96 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:07 PM

prodigy

I have no issue with that interview, its spot on as far as i am concerned.

What people don’t always think about is that in a press conference thats not just a statement Pardew has come out with but a response to questions he has been asked by journalists….who themselves are probing for a good quote/more info to get a headline or story out of.

• 97 Jail for Ashley // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM

A lot of talk of Ashley learning from mistakes, well he hasn’t learned until next summer, if I wired a set of lights incorrectly plunging the place into darkness for four months and then corrected them in January I would only be correcting what I put wrong in the first place, if I wired the next place correctly flooding the place with light, then you could say I had learned from my mistake.

• 98 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM

jesper

with n debuchy or haidara…probably simmo and santon will play, do you think the use of attacking fullbacks will work?

• 99 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I really hope we stay up so I can see this team. Just go balls out attacking like the Keegan days

——————————-Krul——————————

–Debuchy——–M’biwa——–Collocini——-Santon–

—————-Sissoko——————-Cabaye————-

——HBA—————Marveaux———-Gouffran——

——————————Cisse——————————

We may concede a few but as long as we outscore the other team we get the points :)

• 100 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM

JFA

And thats where we agree. I’m not criticising or praising until that transfer window in the summer i shut.

• 101 bills-son // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Finding he has learnt less from his mistakes than Ashley has would be too good for JFA.

• 102 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM

bills

JFA does have a point though here.

January could be seen as learning from mistakes or panicking we could go down and lose a lot of money…or both.

It’s the summer where we will see true ambition, hopefully he has a lot of ambition as you say…but it’s one where we need to wait.

• 103 Toon-Prodigy // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Lads,

I got to dash, work beckons. Everything crossed for tomorrow!

You never know, it could be the 4-0 hammering we have been waiting for all season ;)

Have a pleasant evening, always a pleasure!

• 104 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:21 PM

TS…I would never allow both fullbacks to push forward at the same time regardless of who we have available :)

…I would play a more asymmetrical 4-3-3 where only Santon would push up as far as a winger. Simmo will only push up in midfield.

Marv can move inside the hole at times and Gouf inside the box next to Cissé.

It’s a very dinamic 4-3-3. I think some misunderstands it a bit because of the two deeplying CM’s. Sissoko is a box to box midfielder which means he’ll leave the midfield alot, so in order to maintain balance you need the two at the back I think.

Basically when going forward you have:

– The two inside forwards
    – The Striker
    – The box to box midfielder
    – One of the two fullbacks

The last fullback and one of the deeplying CM’s will push up into midfield leaving one CM in front of the defense.

Defensively you have:

-Two CB’s
    – One deeplying CM

And in front of them a fullback and another CM who quickly can get in a defensive position. The bob to box midfielder will have defensive duties as well.

I think this will work and as you say you can actually quickly change to your lineup.

• 105 Tsunki // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh……….

You know what, Alan? Don’t tell me. Just don’t. Let it be a surprise when I turn up.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh…….

• 106 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:22 PM

* bob = box :D

• 107 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:24 PM

jesper

Yeh I agree with the idea.

And obviously only one fullback at a time, otherwise too exposed. But my point was more that with simpson we wouldn’t have an attacking threat out wide right at any point during the game as he can’t offer that.

Mean we could only get out wide through attacking left side which could leave it a bit too predictable.

• 108 Tsunki // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:24 PM

By the way did I mention Uuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh?

• 109 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM

TS…you are right about that and maybe a solution to that could be that Santon and Simmo switch side at times?

• 110 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Tsunki…you sure did mate ;)

• 111 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:28 PM

So reading though some of the comments towards some of us bloggers am I right to believe I am not the only one not finding Pardews pre-match comments inspiring these days?

• 112 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM

jesper

I wouldn’t like that…still easy for them to see will attack with the side santon is on.

Also i think that could prove a bit too confusing when defending.

Much rather have us play your system but maybe get marv to come inside when we attack down the left to get involved more but when we have a chance down the right have him stay wider out there and have simmo support best he can.

• 113 Tsunki // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I’m. Very disappointed there is no such thing as a bob to box midfielder. Nothing is going right.

• 114 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM

TS…that was actually my thought as well – but thought you didn’t like that part so much :)

…most have misunderstood you on that part. But I agree!

• 115 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM

…So how do we get Pardew on board? lol

• 116 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Tsunki…yeah…I don’t think we are really for that kind of player just yet ;)

• 117 bills-son // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Jesper, what would you like Pardew to say?

• 118 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM

jesper

no still just you…not get lost. Just kidding haha..

For me I don really care what he says in the press, could come out and sing the sound of music tracks every week for me, its what he says in private to the players that is more important and they all seem to say he is inspirational and says the right things.

I know players wont say bad things about him as they wont get picked if they did but they do give a lot of praise to his words.

• 119 Tsunki // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Bills -@118 –

‘Goodbye everyone, tell Jose I’m sorry I missed him’ ?

• 120 bills-son // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Tsunki :-)

• 121 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Bills…I wrote that earlier if you scroll back up.

And just as a reminder, I due not think oppose to tads that that was what Pardew was saying; not in words and not in tone or if you read between the lines.

Disclaimer: I respect if that is how some reads it, but that is not how it comes off to me. It comes off very protective, and there is too much emphasize on injuries and not enough belief in our own abilities and that we “will” win instead of saying we will try to win.

I haven’t seen the interview personally so I am commenting on what is written.

• 122 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Tsunki…Tell franie I’m sorry she didn’t get to know her dad
    I bet he’s sorry he didnt get to know her too!

• 123 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM

jesper

“We will win ” is a clear statement…whether spoken or written it is clear what is meant.

“we will try to win” can be taken in a few ways. Depending on the tone of the voice it can be defeatist or it can be a rallying cry. When written it’s impossible to really determine how it was meant so i do understand your scepticism on this one but like you say…its how each person reads it.

• 124 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM

TS…“But I still think we have a good side tomorrow to put on the pitch tomorrow and we are hoping to get a great result for our fans, who have been so patient with us.”

…word for word I don’t think it is as inspiring as it could have been. And reading between the lines it sounds like someone knowing we need a win, but knows it will be very difficult.

That is really what I get out of that interview; he sets the tome with yet again to talk so much about injuries and that we are missing four or five big players.

He just have to get on with it and accept taht’s how it is and we still have a very great team and we still need a win and we will win tomorrow, because we simply have to.

Every team have injuries and we are not worse from wear :) You are not going to make say differently mate lol

• 125 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM

TS…if you say Pardew says “We Will Win” then I clearly have to read that transcript again!

• 126 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM

jesper

No i never meant pardew says “we will win”

I was just stating the difference between the two. If he had said “we will win” it would be very clear he had confidence in the team.

What I was saying, was that saying “we will try to win” could mean a few things.

Obviously we will try to win a home game vs fulham, anyone would try to win.

But without hearing the tone of his voice, how he said it, etc…we dont know if he meant

– we’ll give it a go but not hopeful
    – we will really get at them, this team can hammer them
    – i expect a win but don’t want to put too much extra pressure on players

If all that makes sense.

• 127 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM

TS…sure it makes sense :)

and as I have said earlier I was not at the interview and are only commenting on the transcript and what I believe to be the tone of his comment.

I don’t hear a man that believes this at the moment and whether or not that is true or not I would prefer to hear some one confident in his and the teams abilities :)

I am not hearing that and I don’t think it’s a case of something being lost in translation with me being Danish and all as I think tads was suggesting!

• 128 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM

jesper

I think the interview is open to interpretation really.

It depends on a few things what will influence you.

– is that the sort of stuff pards would say even if confident?
    – what have the press conferences been like recently
    – personal view of pardew…that will influence what we hear…so if supporter of him can take it as positive, if not can take it as negative..if in the middle can be unsure, etc

I think it’s a bit of an ambiguous statement so i won’t judge him one way or another for it as its too open to different judgement for me.

And also i dont care what he says to us, more about what he says in private.

• 129 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:13 PM

As much as I’m trying to be positive I cannot help but sit here in utter disbelief thinking that Wigan are 3 points behind with a game in hand in 18th, Sunderland are 17th and are 2 points behind with a 5 goal advantage over us and Villa are on equal terms after their terrible season.

Ok, I’m not trying to be positive but it is disgusting.

• 130 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM

TS…well to be honest it is refreshing to hear from a fellow blogger that it’s open to different judgment!

…have been missing that point of here in here lately!

And just so we are on the same page cause I have had to clarify this to some lately; but I actually support Pardew, but I criticize what I think you could improve upon, because I think that is how we evolve as
    human beings.

You don’t get anywhere with other people just giving you a pad on the back or supporting you blindly. For me that is not what a support does.

• 131 valle // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM

To bad VIlla won, I really want them to go down… Yah, I bear a grudge ;)

• 132 ginola_tonic // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM

It’s going to be another loss tomorrow :( 1-0 to fulham. Just can’t see us winning no more. If we go ahead what’s the point, AP tactics are useless. Just hold on for the win. Which we can’t do. Faak the EL. We ain’t gonna beat benfica. They’ll probably score first. Just hope I’m proved wrong tomo. Please please win.

• 133 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM

And I thought I was negative.

• 134 Papiss9 // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:26 PM

The next two games in the league are massive. Home against fulham then sunderland. If we win those two matches, we might just have enoough confidence to win away at WBA and then home against Liverpool. Can’t wait for the match tommorrow

• 135 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I just think there is so much more pressure on us because of who we are and the reputation our players have.

Other teams want it more than us, which was the case 4 years ago. Tomorrow will tell us a lot.

Other teams are fighting because if they go down a lot of them might not ever play in the PL again. Most of ours will after the fire sale.

We must win the next 2 to stay up. Draw one or both and we’ll have a lot to do. Lose 1 or both and I feel that we are down.

• 136 Papiss9 // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:37 PM

For me, reading and qpr are already down. Teams like wigan, norwich, stoke, sunderland and villa, all have to better than us.. that ain’t gonne happen. When all games are played I think we end up at 12 th.

• 137 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Personally I think more than 40 points are needed.

I think only Stoke have a harder run in than us.

• 138 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:45 PM

6 of the 7 English managers are in the bottom 9.

Fancy that.

• 139 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Might as well get used to the quiet because this is what the blog will be like when we are in League 1.

• 140 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Beattie
    Sssshhhhh enjoy the quiet before the storm!

• 141 BDin9 // Apr 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM

We will win tomorrow, we will beat the Makems and we will stay up. Our home games will see us safe.At this stage when we got relegated last time I knew it was gonna happen. I don’t have the same feelings this time. We have enough to stay up. Shouldn’t be in this situation though.

• 142 Jail for Ashley // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Well yet another game I have to watch on BBC football results board,probably just as well if the Stoke game was anything to go by, I really don’t care how we win as long as we get three points on the board, , it’s a long week anyway out here a defeat will make it feel like a prison sentence.

• 143 aidantoon // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Pardew change the record man! When you hear what he said you feel a bit flat!
    Instead of saying we have a few injuries but still have a top side out! Look we have a good team out tomorrow and more than enough to take out Fulham. Come on the mags, win tomorrow then get a result on Thursday then smash the cats.

• 144 Novocastrian66 // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM

We need 3 big performances, starting Sunday. 9 points should see us okay. Lose the next two and we are in deep trouble.

• 145 Dennis Twice // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:52 PM

We“re cursed and fighting against….ultimate
    Ben sold
    Coloccini injury was fake

• 146 Dennis Twice // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM

..Benefica…team line up…..be careful….we`re not safe yet

• 147 Dennis Twice // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM

We are now in deep deep deep trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 148 Dennis Twice // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM

…and cursed…seen it so many times…

• 149 Dennis Twice // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM

—too many

• 150 Dennis Twice // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Dennis Right.

• 151 ginola_tonic // Apr 6, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Deffo need more than 40 points. I reckon 43 maybe. Somebody slap me I’m getting really bad feeling about tomorrow. Can see us scoring first then losing. Or them scoring and us just chasing. And please AP play marv tomo. He’s always got that killer pass that can split open the defence. Personally I think he’s a great player but in the wrong league. Can see him being awesome in Spain or Portugal. PL greatest league in the world ? Think not.

• 152 ginola_tonic // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:02 PM

At least the second leg is on itv4. Instead of always spuds

• 153 croftus5678 // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:04 PM

little vid on amido balde who aparently is very close to signing for either us or everton for 2-3mil

looks very good for the money and only 21 so plenty of room to improve while being good enough for our first team also.

• 154 bollance // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Indicators pards is doing well

League position – not so good this season
    Overall club revenue – decent run in Europa will boost revenue but league position will minimise prize money
    Matchday revenue – down 7% though we are top 10 ave in Europe.
    Inquiries for our players – we will never know

Hughton was manager in a good time because as fans our expectations significantly dropped, the pressure was off.

Pards came in and fairly instantly sold our best player but for big cash. We hung on and survived. Next season he worked a miricle, yes he got us 5th.

That changed our expectations and the fans on here voted for top 6th finish?? Ashley set top 10 finish which is possible but pards wanted top 8 – surely impossible now.

Regardless, we are all disappointed that it is April and we are not yet safe and the games are now ‘must win’. The pressure is on. We have a young team but villa won today so why can’t we tomorrow at home!!

• 155 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM

marv has to be played as a cam where he has no duty to track back. personally i like seeing sissoko on the right

• 156 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Ha ha ha.

Do you guys remember the time when I said we might go down because we didn’t strengthen and had Pardew as manager?

Ha ha ha. Good times.

• 157 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Ha ha ha.

Do you remember that time when I said it was essential to upgrade all facets of the team or we would struggle this season and some of you’s was like ‘na wey pet, we’ll nay struggle man, we’ll be top 10 maybees’.

Ha ha ha. Good times.

• 158 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Ha ha ha.

Do you guys remember when I said Pardew was pure pish and that 5th last season wasn’t a true reflection on the man himself and that he’d probably take us backwards? Some of you were like ‘He’s a good manager, look at the stats! Give him next season to show what he can do with an even better team.’

Ha ha ha. good times.

• 159 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Ha ha ha.

Do you guys remember when I said that I was confident we would be in a relegation battle under Pardew and some of you were like ‘you’re nothing but an arrogant turd and a negative piece of shit. We won’t be in a struggle with wor Alan.’.

Ha ha ha. Good times.

• 160 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Ha ha ha.

Do you remember that time when I enjoyed proving myself right because there is nothing else to do and I was bored and equally as shit scared as everyone else about the future of our club.

Ha ha ha. Good times.

• 161 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM

luckily we know beattie is only depressingly pessimistic due to his monumental love for nufc

• 162 bollance // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Beatie

With the same minimal injuries as last year would u not agree this squad was stronger going into this season.

What pards has not said too often is that we have also been let down big time with the youngster. How many have come through this season, none.

We need a big overhaul of players, send Carr into overdrive. Let’s be bold, again. Sell / release 10 and buy 10 with a net spend of £15m.

With Carr’s track record our squad will be so much stronger.

• 163 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Hey, can anyone think of a good Twitter name.

I’m going to start a nufc account based on my oddball and controversial views but can’t think of anything.

All opinions welcome.

• 164 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:36 PM

whats wrong with NUFCBeattie or something simple?

mine is @geordie_chef LOL

• 165 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I will never forgive Pardew if he takes us down. Fair enough we have had more than our fair share of injuries, however on paper he has had a better starting 11 than anyone outside the top 8 and it is down to him to get the tactics right IMO. Rant over :).

• 166 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I would agree with you Bollance.

Players like Sammy Ameobi, Paul Dummet, Conor Newton, Shane Ferguson, Yven Moyo, Micheal Richardson, Gabriel Obertan, Danny Gosling, Mike Willaimson, Danny Simpson and some others need to be tossed out of the club and replaced with better players or players with better potential.

We need a massive clear out and a major infrastructural change.

We have the right men to do it.

Mike Ashley has shown time and time again he is willing to invest big money into the club.

Derek Llambias is a footballing man with great history in the game so as managing director we can rely on him to see the weaknesses and make them strengths.

As for Pardew, well a man with such pedigree is bound to get the best out of young talent. He has brought through the likes of…erm…well…but he has won…erm…yeah but…eee…and as for his his footballing philosophy that will be passed down to the youngsters?! A triumph is all I can say.

Seriously though it is obvious where we are failing.

Investment, managerial quality and lack of true direction.

• 167 toon_dog // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:45 PM

fkn helmets wt they are, least she will be teaching him English

• 168 toon_dog // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM

http://www.footiz.com/actu/news/losc-chedjou-pas-insensible-a-newcastle posted by hba on twit
    Once again this season, Newcastle eyeing the Ligue 1. The club would Aurélien Chedjou in his line of sight to replace Fabricio Coloccini whose future is uncertain at the Magpies. “I am happy when teams are on me, because it means that I do a good job. My agent is working with the clubs I want, but I am relaxed. Newcastle has already recruited in France, with players like Cabaye or Debuchy that are already there. It …

• 169 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Pas-de-clue

I like yours it’s fresh. Nobody can mistake it and it gets people interested.

Beattie is tried and tested and failed.

I want something that gets people thinking ‘this man knows what he’s talking about’ when really I am slightly overweight nufc obsessed freak with a hard on for anti Pardew propaganda and a hatred for the football we play.

Maybe @NUFC_PROPHET

• 170 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:51 PM

@ beattie

Boistrous beattie perhaps :)

• 171 Ian Toon // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:54 PM

bollance- Good to have a rational poster with positivity. I can see us winning our next two home games and securing our PL status. We played we’ll on Thursday aside from 2 daft defensive errors. High line and tempo tomorrow and with more clinical finishing a victory by 2 goals. We need to get the crowd behind us but there are not too many throwing in the towel in the life world. Only those with the wind up loser mentalities. There should be a massive clear out in the summer with a number of under performing so called youngsters dispensed with.

• 172 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM

NUFC_ORACLE

• 173 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Hey guys Boistrous here,

Do you guys ever think we’ll see NUFC play football like the top teams in our lifetime again?

I’m 29 soon and I’m running out of time.

• 174 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Game, set and match.

NUFC_Oracle

• 175 nick_9 // Apr 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Beattie you could have just put ‘I told you so’ haha.

I’m not so optimistic about our next three games, I think the lads are going to be knackered. Fulham are no mugs and you never know with derby games. Would like to see gouffran, Marv and sissoko in attacking midfield three tomorrow with perch and cabaye behind. I’m sure we could all pick the team exact eleven though, but that’s not to say we’re predictable or anything……

• 176 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:02 PM

@ beattie

I really hope so. Sooner than you may think if Pards can keep us up this season. With our whole squad fit with the likes of Sissoko,Cabaye,HBA,Debuchy,Cisse, & Marveaux with a few new recruits in the summer, I think even the most tactically inept manager in the world playing well.

• 177 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Could get us playing well rather ;)

• 178 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Beattie, yes if we execute pardew lol

• 179 TimKrulFan // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I allways thought we should have kept routledge much better than guti and obertan.

• 180 nick_9 // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:19 PM

It’s one thing to get rid of routledge but to then replace him with obertan is crazy, very rarely do Man U players work out for us.

Anyone watching match of the day? Just watching Swansea when they attack they have about 5 players in or around the box. A lot of the time we have just cisse and perhaps one other player. We don’t really attack in numbers and my biggest gripe is I haven’t seen many areas d improvement this season. Our answer to a problem is to sign another player, surely we can get some of the players like nomad and Simpson working on their crossing more?

• 181 JAMSHA // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Kevin Mbabu on twitter

• 182 Tsunki // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Beattie @169 – careful, you have been down the Prophet route before remember? You didn’t think that through, did you? :D

• 183 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Fair point Tsunki, fair point. ha ha

• 184 Beattie25 // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I wonder if Ashley looks at Southampton and thinks…maybe it would be a good idea…???

• 185 Tsunki // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Its true that we neither keep possession patiently nor attack in numbers with the right people, by that I mean we end up with two FB’s in advanced positions on the wings leaving a break on against us all the time. How many times have we crossed into the centre to nobody but a group of defenders with an open midfield to pass the ball comfortably out to? Always? How many times have you seen the opposition defence frantically clear the ball out to our attacking midfielders who rain destruction in waves upon them? Ner. When the ball ricochets or spoons from their defence it usually falls harmlessly into the path of their DM’s who chase onto our retreating back 8 like a bunch of scared chickens. We are defensive-minded even when going forward.

• 186 Tsunki // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Beattie – that whole prophet of doom or whatever saga still makes me laugh aloud to this day when I think of it. I believe that was your finest hour I really do. Blog gold. Now THOSE were happy days mate ha ha :)

• 187 Novocastrian66 // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Beattie being a Newcastle fan is hard. There isn’t any glory only pain. I’ll not see Newcastle win anything before I slip this mortal coil. I’m resigned to that. Hopefully I will see some decent players and good football along the way. Not much chance of that at the moment.

• 188 Tsunki // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Beattie – (its all about you at the minute isnt it?) I dont decry your visionary powers but I think some circumstances have played into the hands of your end-of-the-season scenario, such as the pathetic injury record which I think has been the single biggest killer of Pardew’s plans this year. Add to that I think Del boy convinced Mike to hold off on Pards’ targets which led to a daft punt on the sub-par fringe players and subsequent slide. This led to the panic of the January backpedalling binge on decent players. Having said that, for me he has almost used every throw at putting together a team that is at least hard to score against. What is it about Newcastle sides that cant build a decent defence? Its like a curse.

• 189 Mister Tuff // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:57 PM

In respect of the so called youngsters. I think most of us think that there is probably one or two who may make the grade. We are not trainers and coaches -so I would love to know who made the decisions last summer and before that this lot were ready/would be able to play in the PL if required. seems to me some assessments way off the mark.
    As for tomorrow -massive game -using that well coined phrase a must win. Please no Obertan and I do not like the responsibility that Sissoko seems to have been lumbered with (as another poster previously pointed out) of chasing all over the pitch chasing down the opposition and then getting knackered. His surging runs need to be with the ball.

• 190 terencelim // Apr 7, 2013 at 2:49 AM

It has been around 2150 days since Ashley owned the club and so far and successfully turned one of the biggest club in the world into a wee club.

A 3 points is a must tomorrow but I am wondering what is the point of staying up if there is yet a net spending in transfer window in the summer?

• 191 texasgaijin // Apr 7, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Since the turn of the year, Fulham have won away at West Brom and Tottenham and only lost to Man City and ManU. Berbatov has scored in four straight matches. They’re a much-improved side, and NUFC are a slumping, uninspiring side. Unless Pardew can find a way to motivate good players who lately have been playing at a pedestrian level, we’ll be lucky to earn a draw. Don’t think Cabaye as captain is working. That’s more a strategy to keep him at the club, rather than inspire the other players around him. Not confident about tonight’s match, and yesterday’s results didn’t do anything to east the pressure. Big sigh.

previous post: Newcastle Continue To Be Linked With Brazilian Defender