Carroll Will Not Leave On The Cheap – Staying At Liverpool?

Brendan Rodgers has started to tell clubs they will not get Andy Carroll this summer on the cheap – but we’d be very surprised if any club comes in for Andy at Liverpool’s asking price of £17M.

Andy Carroll, hopes he can repeat the kind of performance he showed against West Bromwich Albion.

Andy Carroll – after scoring against West Brom last weekend

Well that’s unless QPR avoid the drop, because they would pay £17M for Carroll and also pay him the £80K a week in wages he gets at the moment, but it’s hard to see how QPR can avoid the drop now – although it’s still possible.

This is what Brendan Rodgers said in The Sun today about big Andy:

“It’s absolutely the case that IF the player does leave then it won’t be for nothing”. “It is no fault of his own but he came here for an astronomical fee.”

“There is no doubt Andy has real qualities — some of his goals from set-plays with West Ham have proven that. And the financial aspect to it means he won’t be leaving on the cheap if he does.”

“With every player it is about the style and how they fit into that. If you look at Luis Suarez we are a team that is set up to exploit his qualities.”

“I find it funny when I hear people saying we shouldn’t have let Andy go out. It was the right thing because it is not just about the football, there is a financial implication here too.”

“At this moment the club isn’t one which can have that money sitting on the bench, in terms of what he cost and his wages.”

Liverpool now have a player they paid way over the odds for, much like Newcastle used to do in the past, and the Reds managed to offload his wages to West Ham this season, which is good for Liverpool, but it’s the fee they will take a shower on this summer.

Andy scored twice in the 3-1 win against West Brom last weekend and he had a very good game, but there’s just no way Newcastle will pay £17M for him.

Maybe a bit of goal scoring form in the final seven games of the season from the big lad, will tempt West Ham to pay up for the 6’3″ striker – but apart from that scenario, we cannot see Liverpool getting what they want for their Geordie striker.

And in the immortal and philosophical words of Mick Jagger – “You can’t always get what you want.” 😀

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Bambams

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Rodgers does not want him

He will be leaving in the summer

Dont think he will be coming back.

Imo

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Whether he’s coming to us or not I can’t see Liverpooll just loaning him out again.

I get they paid over the odds for him, but they are never going to recoup anywhere near what they paid for him. Some goals before the season end will help, but I’d be amazed if he went for anything over £10m…that is unless, as Ed says, QPR stay up.

• Agent Belfast 007

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Been having a break, having a kit-kat Ibiza…

• Bambams

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Add to that Rodgers has also got to find a place in his team, oh hang on he has also said the team is built around Suarez…..

Of course he will be leaving….. Muppet !

• Marty-Toon

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM

We’ve missed his Ariel prowess but that’s about it,don’t want him back.
    Although we are absolutely useless at corners,that must be also down to training ground tactics of AP that looks clueless.
    We’ve got a tall enough bunch of lads to score headers and good enough quality deliveries every other game.
    Unless he came back on 45,000 a week and we got him on the cheap so this is nt gonna happen

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Belfast….Did it take you that long to open up the packet? Bless ya.

Bambams…I’d like to see Campbell get some minutes before the seasons over, hard to predict now if the Fulham game is the right one, but he certainly has the pace to cause some problems for defenders.

Marty…If Obertan plays it can only be that Pardew has bigger plans for the EL on Thursday. He can’t rest too many though, PL survival has to be priority – no matter how far we’ve gone in the EL.

• KayZey78

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I really doubt he will coming back to us. I think he will rot on the bench or be loaned out for the season. Nobody is going to pay what Liverpool want.

• Bambams

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

If he came back here it will be for ‘ an undisclosed fee ‘ …. Liverfool will be saying they are over the moon with ‘all ‘ the money they got back, whilst our lot will come out with ‘ it fits our transfer blueprint ‘ …… We will never know the fee.

• brian kilclines pony tail

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM

it doesn’t matter who we sign, by my reckoning if we need to spend 18 million to get 3 wins from pardew we all had might as well just give up and go home.

• JTOONJ

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM

how long does is contract go on for? i can see him getting repeatedly loaned out tbh. he is a risky buy

• Bambams

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM

@Ibiza….
    I am sure Pards wants to give the lad a chance but league position may have him too worried, just think for all Haangaland is good a little terrier around his ankles would not be what he would want in the latter stages of the match. 😉

• Marty-Toon

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Ibiza
    If Obertan plays it just shows Pards is clueless
    He cannot think about the Europa now as PL is our priority and Thursday he can put the egg head on if they score away goals and the game is gone
    Put Sissoko on Duff for a few mins with a couple of crunching tackles and they’ll have problems getting a decent all into Berbatov and Ruiz
    Hopefully Marveau or Gouffran/Sissoko running at Risse will be good for us too

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM

JTOONJ…At some point though they will have to take what they can get. No way will they be happy to just let his contract run down so he ultimately leaves on a free transfer. Makes no sense for Liverpool.

Don’t really expect Rogers to say anything else than he has, doesn’t want to appear desperate to offload and doesn’t want to put Andy down as it puts off other teams

“It’s not that Andy hasn’t got qualities because, if we set up in a different way, we’d get the best out of him. But we are happy with playing around Luis.” – Please someone buy him, he isn’t really as bad as I made out before 🙂

• Marty-Toon

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Campbell is very light weight and will get pushed around the place and from what I’ve seen he’s quick but not as quick as I thought.
    The PL is a lot different to reserves but he has a trick or two and can get by defenders,don’t think he’s where Owen was in pace at his age but he needs time in the pitch to get better

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Bambams…I agree. Shola has his place imo, but at the end of a game against tiring legs surely pace is key? Step up Adam lad 🙂

Marty…What team would you like to see start against Fulham? Obviously no Obertan.

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I’d like to see:

—————–Krul——————
    ?——–MBiwa—Taylor—Santon
    ———–Cabaye–Sissoko———
    —-Jonas—–Marv—-Gouffran—
    —————Cisse——————

RB – Anita or Simpson, probably Anita 🙂

Maybe swap Jonas & Gouffran around to support Santon – saying that I imagine Santon will be keen to cut any silly mistakes out – bet that moment is fresh in his mind.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Ibiza…just read your review on the last post; not saying we played bad or anything, but you are a ray of sunlight my friend 😀 lol

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Jesper…Reading through the comments this week it seemed some sunshine was needed 😉

Were we fantastic? Nope. Did we play better than most thought we would? Certainly.

It’s pretty easy to be negative right now, I get that, but we do also have to look at the positives and there are some – honestly.

We knew they would pressure us for parts of the game, even large parts. Truth is take those two errors out and we had a 1-1 away scoreline. Yes they could / should have scored some more, but so could / should we, that’s football.

Also notice Taylor getting some stick for requesting backing from the “12th man” again. Whilst i get feelings are a little raw at the minute and I’m certainly not doubting the support they get – he isn’t wrong.

The summer is the time to reflect and make changes if needed – now we need unity and to fight.

That mainly means the manager and players, but they do need us as well.

• Marty-Toon

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I’d like to see

Simmo/Anita Tayls Mbiwa Santon
    Cabaye. perch
    Marveau. Sissoko Gouffran
    Cisse

• Tsunki

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Bubble wrap it and send it 2nd class UPS to your previous address, Belfast.

Carroll won’t go on the cheap, eh? He will go for what he is worth to a buyer. And if potential buyers see a diminishing value, Rodgers better suck it up and sell for what he gets and stop kidding everyone. When he’s been on the bench at scouseport for a 2nd year he will be worth zip.

Anyway, why don’t we forget about him now, he shot his bolt when he went, there’s no Geordie Hero in that package any more so moving on……

So, Fulham. Are the other guy and bigi due for a recall yet? 🙁

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Tsunki…Is the sad face due to you wanting them back in the mix or fear that they may be?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Ibiza…Saylor is mainly getting stick for his attitude or lack there of I think!

…some think he has acted unprofessionally and that is including me 🙂

On the Benfica game I think they were miles ahead of us. Just my point of view.

If opportunity should have resulted in a goal then we would probably have lost 6-3 or something, so I’ll take the 3-1 scoreline. Saylor just desappointed me greatly 🙁

• nightfa11

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

“But we are happy with playing around Luis.”

hope suarez will leave in summer 😀

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Jesper…I’ve been out of the loop a bit, what attitude?

On Benefica, yes they were better overall, but they are also No.1 in their league and normally a CL team – what were people expecting exactly?

My point is not that we were wonderful, but that Benefica were good (there is only so much a team can do to take away from that) and if it hadn’t have been for two really f**k*ng stupid errors we would have been at 1-1 (I will try and not say 1-1 again today 😉 ).

I felt frustration after the Benefica game, certainly not shame, but that’s me.

• JAMSHA

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Manchester United are ready to cut their
    losses on Nani and release him at the end
    of the season – DAILY MIRROR

Plzz Get This lad

• oldbobaycliffe

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

is it just a nufc thing but does no one apart from me think that we will be relegated so all this talk about transfer targets is rubbish.if we lose tomorrow where will the 7 points come from to keep our team in the pl.

• JAMSHA

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

nxt season

——————-Krul———————

Debu———-Saylor–Mibwa———Hidra

———–Cabaye——–Sissoko———

HBA———————————–Nani

————-PEA———Cisse————

• Tsunki

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Ibiza- the fear that we will be calling on players who have been given short shrift and an attack of their youthful ineptitude respectively, which bodes ill for our season end imo. I wonder where the lion-hearted morale is going to come from?

It is all starting to have the look and feel of a shoddy and beleaguered outfit isnt it? I still think we should win against Fulham, but they have such a psychological advantage over us I don’t know.

• Tsunki

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I’m not jumping on the Saylor – bash cart yet though, I think he has been solid overall and if he hadn’t come back in when he did I believe we would not be scared of relegation we would have been preparing for it. This monkeying-about aspect of his game has to be toned down, because it spills over into trying to play-act out of a stupid handling infringement, remember he got away with just about the same thing only a few weeks ago. I say we get him a shirt with no arms made and get him to train in that. But as a CB his fearless blocking has saved us a few points so I can’t stay mad at him. Provided he just STOPS DOING THAT!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Ibiza…the beef with Saylor is when he made the handball he just had the biggest smirk on his face!

…it was like he had not grasped the seriousness of the situation (that is what you would have expected of kids not a pro. footballer)

Well I guess if one have to a tad subjective that game could have ended 1-1, but it could also had ended 6-3 😉

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Jamsha….I wouldn’t mind Nani – wonder if they’d take Obertan as part of the deal 🙂

Oldboy….So you think we will be relegated? It certainly is a possibility, but for now I shall wait and see how the next week goes. After that I agree, points may well be hard to come by.

Tsunki…As I said to Oldboy, we have an extremely important week coming up – we’ll know whether its really panic time after that imo.

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Jesper…I didn’t see a smirk, it looked to me like he pulled a face of grimace as if he was in pain – I didn’t see a smile but will take another look as to be completely honest I was jumping up and down with frustration and swearing at anything within a few meters 🙂

On the scoreline, yes it could have been 6-3, 5-3, 4-3, 3-3, 2-3, 1-3,0-3,6-0-6-1…you get the point 🙂 Not talking what might not have been saved, but imo we gifted them 2 goals – that we know for sure which would have left the score at the result I have promised to try and not say again 🙂

• JAMSHA

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Ibizatoon

No way They would take obertan , insted they would ask for hba or cabaye 😀

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Jamsha…I would think if Obertan was involved the price would probably go up 🙂

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Jesper…Just looked at the Taylor handball replay, where was he smirking?

• JAMSHA

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM

i only wishd… but seem his worth 500k now we need to sell him soon b4 his price drops even lower…

• geordie@bergen_norway

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Shane Long is set to leave WBA in the summer window. Something to concider? Hard working striker to provide chances for Papiss.

• dmac

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Christ Nani is a less talented more selfish version of HBA. Really dont think he is worth it.

• nufc786

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Since when was Saylor smirking at his Handball…
    If anything else it came as a shock to him since sissoko ducked from the ball…

from what i saw the lad looked gutted and it looked like he was in pain

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Ibiza…I don’t have a good link to the incident. The one I have they cut it just after the handball and move straight to the penalty!