The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Carroll Will Not Leave On The Cheap – Staying At Liverpool?

11:37 am, Saturday, April 6th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 114 Comments

Brendan Rodgers has started to tell clubs they will not get Andy Carroll this summer on the cheap – but we’d be very surprised if any club comes in for Andy at Liverpool’s asking price of £17M.

Andy Carroll, hopes he can repeat the kind of performance he showed against West Bromwich Albion.

Andy Carroll – after scoring against West Brom last weekend

Well that’s unless QPR avoid the drop, because they would pay £17M for Carroll and also pay him the £80K a week in wages he gets at the moment, but it’s hard to see how QPR can avoid the drop now – although it’s still possible.

This is what Brendan Rodgers said in The Sun today about big Andy:

“It’s absolutely the case that IF the player does leave then it won’t be for nothing”. “It is no fault of his own but he came here for an astronomical fee.”

“There is no doubt Andy has real qualities — some of his goals from set-plays with West Ham have proven that. And the financial aspect to it means he won’t be leaving on the cheap if he does.”

“With every player it is about the style and how they fit into that. If you look at Luis Suarez we are a team that is set up to exploit his qualities.”

“I find it funny when I hear people saying we shouldn’t have let Andy go out. It was the right thing because it is not just about the football, there is a financial implication here too.”

“At this moment the club isn’t one which can have that money sitting on the bench, in terms of what he cost and his wages.”

Liverpool now have a player they paid way over the odds for, much like Newcastle used to do in the past, and the Reds managed to offload his wages to West Ham this season, which is good for Liverpool, but it’s the fee they will take a shower on this summer.

Andy scored twice in the 3-1 win against West Brom last weekend and he had a very good game, but there’s just no way Newcastle will pay £17M for him.

Maybe a bit of goal scoring form in the final seven games of the season from the big lad, will tempt West Ham to pay up for the 6’3″ striker – but apart from that scenario, we cannot see Liverpool getting what they want for their Geordie striker.

And in the immortal and philosophical words of Mick Jagger – “You can’t always get what you want.” :D

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Andy Carroll · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

114 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Rodgers does not want him

He will be leaving in the summer

Dont think he will be coming back.

Imo

• 2 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Whether he’s coming to us or not I can’t see Liverpooll just loaning him out again.

I get they paid over the odds for him, but they are never going to recoup anywhere near what they paid for him. Some goals before the season end will help, but I’d be amazed if he went for anything over £10m…that is unless, as Ed says, QPR stay up.

• 3 Agent Belfast 007 // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Been having a break, having a kit-kat Ibiza…

• 4 Bambams // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Add to that Rodgers has also got to find a place in his team, oh hang on he has also said the team is built around Suarez…..

Of course he will be leaving….. Muppet !

• 5 Marty-Toon // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM

We’ve missed his Ariel prowess but that’s about it,don’t want him back.
    Although we are absolutely useless at corners,that must be also down to training ground tactics of AP that looks clueless.
    We’ve got a tall enough bunch of lads to score headers and good enough quality deliveries every other game.
    Unless he came back on 45,000 a week and we got him on the cheap so this is nt gonna happen

• 6 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Belfast….Did it take you that long to open up the packet? Bless ya.

Bambams…I’d like to see Campbell get some minutes before the seasons over, hard to predict now if the Fulham game is the right one, but he certainly has the pace to cause some problems for defenders.

Marty…If Obertan plays it can only be that Pardew has bigger plans for the EL on Thursday. He can’t rest too many though, PL survival has to be priority – no matter how far we’ve gone in the EL.

• 7 KayZey78 // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I really doubt he will coming back to us. I think he will rot on the bench or be loaned out for the season. Nobody is going to pay what Liverpool want.

• 8 Bambams // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

If he came back here it will be for ‘ an undisclosed fee ‘ …. Liverfool will be saying they are over the moon with ‘all ‘ the money they got back, whilst our lot will come out with ‘ it fits our transfer blueprint ‘ …… We will never know the fee.

• 9 brian kilclines pony tail // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM

it doesn’t matter who we sign, by my reckoning if we need to spend 18 million to get 3 wins from pardew we all had might as well just give up and go home.

• 10 JTOONJ // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM

how long does is contract go on for? i can see him getting repeatedly loaned out tbh. he is a risky buy

• 11 Bambams // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM

@Ibiza….
    I am sure Pards wants to give the lad a chance but league position may have him too worried, just think for all Haangaland is good a little terrier around his ankles would not be what he would want in the latter stages of the match. ;-)

• 12 Marty-Toon // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Ibiza
    If Obertan plays it just shows Pards is clueless
    He cannot think about the Europa now as PL is our priority and Thursday he can put the egg head on if they score away goals and the game is gone
    Put Sissoko on Duff for a few mins with a couple of crunching tackles and they’ll have problems getting a decent all into Berbatov and Ruiz
    Hopefully Marveau or Gouffran/Sissoko running at Risse will be good for us too

• 13 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM

JTOONJ…At some point though they will have to take what they can get. No way will they be happy to just let his contract run down so he ultimately leaves on a free transfer. Makes no sense for Liverpool.

Don’t really expect Rogers to say anything else than he has, doesn’t want to appear desperate to offload and doesn’t want to put Andy down as it puts off other teams

“It’s not that Andy hasn’t got qualities because, if we set up in a different way, we’d get the best out of him. But we are happy with playing around Luis.” – Please someone buy him, he isn’t really as bad as I made out before :)

• 14 Marty-Toon // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Campbell is very light weight and will get pushed around the place and from what I’ve seen he’s quick but not as quick as I thought.
    The PL is a lot different to reserves but he has a trick or two and can get by defenders,don’t think he’s where Owen was in pace at his age but he needs time in the pitch to get better

• 15 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Bambams…I agree. Shola has his place imo, but at the end of a game against tiring legs surely pace is key? Step up Adam lad :)

Marty…What team would you like to see start against Fulham? Obviously no Obertan.

• 16 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I’d like to see:

—————–Krul——————
    ?——–MBiwa—Taylor—Santon
    ———–Cabaye–Sissoko———
    —-Jonas—–Marv—-Gouffran—
    —————Cisse——————

RB – Anita or Simpson, probably Anita :)

Maybe swap Jonas & Gouffran around to support Santon – saying that I imagine Santon will be keen to cut any silly mistakes out – bet that moment is fresh in his mind.

• 17 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Ibiza…just read your review on the last post; not saying we played bad or anything, but you are a ray of sunlight my friend :-D lol

• 18 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Jesper…Reading through the comments this week it seemed some sunshine was needed ;)

Were we fantastic? Nope. Did we play better than most thought we would? Certainly.

It’s pretty easy to be negative right now, I get that, but we do also have to look at the positives and there are some – honestly.

We knew they would pressure us for parts of the game, even large parts. Truth is take those two errors out and we had a 1-1 away scoreline. Yes they could / should have scored some more, but so could / should we, that’s football.

Also notice Taylor getting some stick for requesting backing from the “12th man” again. Whilst i get feelings are a little raw at the minute and I’m certainly not doubting the support they get – he isn’t wrong.

The summer is the time to reflect and make changes if needed – now we need unity and to fight.

That mainly means the manager and players, but they do need us as well.

• 19 Marty-Toon // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I’d like to see

Simmo/Anita Tayls Mbiwa Santon
    Cabaye. perch
    Marveau. Sissoko Gouffran
    Cisse

• 20 Tsunki // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Bubble wrap it and send it 2nd class UPS to your previous address, Belfast.

Carroll won’t go on the cheap, eh? He will go for what he is worth to a buyer. And if potential buyers see a diminishing value, Rodgers better suck it up and sell for what he gets and stop kidding everyone. When he’s been on the bench at scouseport for a 2nd year he will be worth zip.

Anyway, why don’t we forget about him now, he shot his bolt when he went, there’s no Geordie Hero in that package any more so moving on……

So, Fulham. Are the other guy and bigi due for a recall yet? :(

• 21 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Tsunki…Is the sad face due to you wanting them back in the mix or fear that they may be?

• 22 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Ibiza…Saylor is mainly getting stick for his attitude or lack there of I think!

…some think he has acted unprofessionally and that is including me :-)

On the Benfica game I think they were miles ahead of us. Just my point of view.

If opportunity should have resulted in a goal then we would probably have lost 6-3 or something, so I’ll take the 3-1 scoreline. Saylor just desappointed me greatly :-(

• 23 nightfa11 // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

“But we are happy with playing around Luis.”

hope suarez will leave in summer :D

• 24 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Jesper…I’ve been out of the loop a bit, what attitude?

On Benefica, yes they were better overall, but they are also No.1 in their league and normally a CL team – what were people expecting exactly?

My point is not that we were wonderful, but that Benefica were good (there is only so much a team can do to take away from that) and if it hadn’t have been for two really f**k*ng stupid errors we would have been at 1-1 (I will try and not say 1-1 again today ;) ).

I felt frustration after the Benefica game, certainly not shame, but that’s me.

• 25 JAMSHA // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Manchester United are ready to cut their
    losses on Nani and release him at the end
    of the season – DAILY MIRROR

Plzz Get This lad

• 26 oldbobaycliffe // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

is it just a nufc thing but does no one apart from me think that we will be relegated so all this talk about transfer targets is rubbish.if we lose tomorrow where will the 7 points come from to keep our team in the pl.

• 27 JAMSHA // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

nxt season

——————-Krul———————

Debu———-Saylor–Mibwa———Hidra

———–Cabaye——–Sissoko———

HBA———————————–Nani

————-PEA———Cisse————

• 28 Tsunki // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Ibiza- the fear that we will be calling on players who have been given short shrift and an attack of their youthful ineptitude respectively, which bodes ill for our season end imo. I wonder where the lion-hearted morale is going to come from?

It is all starting to have the look and feel of a shoddy and beleaguered outfit isnt it? I still think we should win against Fulham, but they have such a psychological advantage over us I don’t know.

• 29 Tsunki // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I’m not jumping on the Saylor – bash cart yet though, I think he has been solid overall and if he hadn’t come back in when he did I believe we would not be scared of relegation we would have been preparing for it. This monkeying-about aspect of his game has to be toned down, because it spills over into trying to play-act out of a stupid handling infringement, remember he got away with just about the same thing only a few weeks ago. I say we get him a shirt with no arms made and get him to train in that. But as a CB his fearless blocking has saved us a few points so I can’t stay mad at him. Provided he just STOPS DOING THAT!

• 30 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Ibiza…the beef with Saylor is when he made the handball he just had the biggest smirk on his face!

…it was like he had not grasped the seriousness of the situation (that is what you would have expected of kids not a pro. footballer)

Well I guess if one have to a tad subjective that game could have ended 1-1, but it could also had ended 6-3 ;-)

• 31 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Jamsha….I wouldn’t mind Nani – wonder if they’d take Obertan as part of the deal :)

Oldboy….So you think we will be relegated? It certainly is a possibility, but for now I shall wait and see how the next week goes. After that I agree, points may well be hard to come by.

Tsunki…As I said to Oldboy, we have an extremely important week coming up – we’ll know whether its really panic time after that imo.

• 32 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Jesper…I didn’t see a smirk, it looked to me like he pulled a face of grimace as if he was in pain – I didn’t see a smile but will take another look as to be completely honest I was jumping up and down with frustration and swearing at anything within a few meters :)

On the scoreline, yes it could have been 6-3, 5-3, 4-3, 3-3, 2-3, 1-3,0-3,6-0-6-1…you get the point :) Not talking what might not have been saved, but imo we gifted them 2 goals – that we know for sure which would have left the score at the result I have promised to try and not say again :)

• 33 JAMSHA // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Ibizatoon

No way They would take obertan , insted they would ask for hba or cabaye :-D

• 34 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Jamsha…I would think if Obertan was involved the price would probably go up :)

• 35 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Jesper…Just looked at the Taylor handball replay, where was he smirking?

• 36 JAMSHA // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM

i only wishd… but seem his worth 500k now we need to sell him soon b4 his price drops even lower…

• 37 geordie@bergen_norway // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Shane Long is set to leave WBA in the summer window. Something to concider? Hard working striker to provide chances for Papiss.

• 38 dmac // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Christ Nani is a less talented more selfish version of HBA. Really dont think he is worth it.

• 39 nufc786 // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Since when was Saylor smirking at his Handball…
    If anything else it came as a shock to him since sissoko ducked from the ball…

from what i saw the lad looked gutted and it looked like he was in pain

• 40 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Ibiza…I don’t have a good link to the incident. The one I have they cut it just after the handball and move straight to the penalty!

• 41 boater // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Gutierrez was our best player over 90mins on Thursday by a country mile. Still the stupid little team sheets on here have him dropped. He will play when fit this season like it or not – accept it yee fooking fantasist children.

• 42 boater // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Jonas was our best player on thursday – decent delivery and the hardest worker over 90mins. He will play this season when he’s fit, no matter how many times the FIFA fantasists scrawl their little teamsheets on here to the contrary. Why can’t you accept that children?

• 43 Fridge // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Southampton in the lead against reading

• 44 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Ibiza…just been looking at a stream from the game and I cannot seem to find the incident I am referring to – hope I am not imagine it :) lol

…I did watch the handball again though and it reminded me of and incident with Taylor some years back against Villa where he handballs and looks like some sniped him :)

…a little bit like against Benfica lol

• 45 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM

boater whilst i agree could do with less of the condescending tone

• 46 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Ibiza

there are positives. We have a really talented group of players, possibly our best ever.

• 47 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM

boater

way to win friends and influence people

• 48 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM

The margins of success were so fine on Thursday if Cisse’s shot had went in for 2 nil I think that would have knocked the stuffing out of them and possibly have one the tie outright but as it was they got lucky with that and then came back into it

The 2nd half we were on top before Santon’s mistake and then the 3rd goal knocked the stuffing out of us but I think if we can get an early goal play Marveux in the no 10 role with the crowd we can get the 2 goals we need whether we can keep a clean sheet is another matter but I can see us getting through

Fulham are a bogey team but they are not that great their defence hates people running at them so Gouffran Santon and Marveux need to be allowed to attack them

• 49 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Taylor generally has a smirk on his face. Think that’s one reason Carrol broke his jaw.

The more I see it the more embarrassing the handball – fake injury – routine looks.

Sissoko may have put him off a little bit but Saylor made a very deliberate move towards the ball and he’s got previous.

• 50 nufc786 // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Rotonda heights

i only saw it once… perhaps i should look in to this futher

• 51 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM

santonthenewmaldini

I think a major problem with us are our very poor fitness levels when after a very good 20 min spell we seem to run out of legs and ideas.

• 52 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Tbf when I first saw it in real time I couldn’t see what he’d done but on the replay it’s as bad as one of bale’s dives

• 53 nufc786 // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM

• 54 nufc786 // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM

this was it

• 55 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:02 PM

santon thenewmaldini

so Gouffran Santon and Marveux need to be allowed to attack them

key word there is ALLOWED!!

• 56 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Despite what people say I still don’t think jonas deserves a place in the team.

Work rate alone should not be a reason to play. His general play is very poor, wasteful on the ball, doesn’t get forward enough (could be an instruction to him so won’t slate him for that) and he can’t cross a ball well enough (will get the odd one right as a pro but no where near enough).

I admire the guy for working hard in games but to be at his age and unable to consistently put in a decent ball it doesn’t show he does much practice in training for it.

• 57 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Jamsha

PEA is going to Roma, but yes he would have been ideal

• 58 yorkshire_magpie // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Just watching southampton game and I tell you what, that jay rodriguez looks a real talent. Anybody think we should have gone for him?

• 59 nufc786 // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Transfer Sage
    he looks ok in the centre mind you perhaps he should sit back with anita which may push cabaye up so he can have more of a final ball and have sissoko on the right and gouffran on the left

• 60 yo-yo // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I saw Saylor realise he had handballed and pretending it’d hit him in the stomach hence the grimace. He was trying to con the ref imo.to avoid the pen. Instant response no time to think about it.

• 61 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Rotonda

Are you watching southampton game now?

They play some nice stuff. Started the season badly but improved every week under adkins (not sure if pochettino has made them better or if its still the improvement thats coming with more games) but either way they are doing well.

It’s noticeable how quickly they get players to the ball in either defense or attack. When defending they get back and squeeze teams out and when attacking they press up as a unit and work hard to pin the opposition back.

So even if they have to pass back to defense its still in the opposition half, not all the way back.

• 62 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM

nufc786

I agree. In centre of midfield he is much better. I think it’s cause he has quick feet so can shift the ball easily and he has 3/4 people around him so he can play a simple ball, not having to play a difficult final pass or cross it.

However I think we have better centre mids than him, so I don’t want him there long term. The odd game is fine, but to improve we need to be getting sissko/anita/cabaye/marv and tiote (some combination of those) in the centre.

• 63 yorkshire_magpie // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM

@ transfer. I think its defo pochentinno making them play better. he was recommended by Jose mourinho.

• 64 davis_toons // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

When you look at SOTON play, all their player can play football on and with their feet.

Pass so well. Although simple passes.

Pardew really need to get the team to 1st pass like SOTON.
    If he cant do it then its best that we get someone who can.

Football is a business from we need to get more from this current team.

If the manager who is incharge of the team cant get the best out of his team then he is properly not the right person.

While im still typing this message they just score a TEAM GOAL.

• 65 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

with the current players we have at the club (when fit, not including long term injuries) i’d like to see

———————-krul———————
    debuchy—taylor—-mbiwa—haidara
    ————–tiote——sissko————-
    –santon———cabaye———gouff
    ——————–cisse———————

• 66 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM

yorkshire

He may well be, I’m just not sure how much is him and how much is the team continuing the improvement they have been making all season.

I’m sure he is speeding up the improvement/taking it to a new level….but not sure how much is him..if that makes sense.

• 67 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Hi sage

sorry not got on eye on the cricket!!

But I know what you mean. Going back to the forest team of the 80′s under Clough they all got up and down the pitch together as a unit.

I think we have all the ingredients player wise and very occasionally Pardew gives us a glimpse of what could be, but if you don’t have someone coaching pass and move drills in training, players will be alien to the concept.

• 68 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM

one eye even

• 69 Fridge // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM

TS

Will according to some pundits the changes poccetino has made to southampton clearly shows that he is a quality manager. They look more solid now imo.

• 70 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Sage

What worries me about Pardew is that as he spends so much time on defense, he possibly doesn’t have the knowledge or enough routines to coach pass and move even if he wanted to.

Hoofing the ball to Carroll and playing the percentages seems to have got the players afraid to have the ball in possession.

Houllier showed me a load of passing drills on a course I went on but I don’t think the FA are in to that.

• 71 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM

@Rotonda

How very true I am not even sure Marveux will start on Sunday Pardew may go all defensive and play Perch or Gosling instead of him…. Or even Williamson up front

• 72 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM

davis toon

I always defended pardew but now my defense has gone from what I thought were genuine reasons to almost making excuses for him/just saying giving him more time.

The more I see of us the more I am annoyed. I find it odd our passing and movement hasn’t improved at all since he arrived…which is not good enough with the quality we have now. Even before the midfield/forwards should have done better even with simmo/willo as perceived weak links.

From our line up the last 5/6 weeks I don’t think we have had one player in the side who isn’t decent with the ball at their feet. They can all pass and move but they don’t.

To me that says that either we don’t want to (not what pardew says himself, he says he wants us to pass and move) or that as a team, not individuals, we can’t.

Either way its the managers job to get them to play well and if he can’t/wont do it then he needs to be replaced by somebody who can.

I think we have come to the end (could try pardew another year but if better available why wait on the hope he gets better). Much like houghton was upgraded why not Pardew too. If mourinho was available and wanted to come nobody would object…so how much better do we need for people to be happy and accept it?

• 73 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM

yorkshire

can jose recommend someone for us!!

• 74 Tsunki // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I’ve pondered over fitness levels but when you look at the amount and quality of possession we have in games, its no surprise we run out of steam after chasing the ball so much. I still don’t understand the tactic of scurrying back to the GK who is the most inaccurate kicker on the team, and who never has an option to roll the ball out and play from the back. Why do we detest long periods of possession so much we have to crack and someone go for the long ball which is easily cut out, we lose possession so easily and instead of hounding the opposition into them making the same mistake, we sit back and allow them to come at us in waves, and run back and forth across our lines without actually closing down. We end up covering many kms to no avail, too weary to see a game out. Santon runs back and forth for a while, producing little, until he eventually gets tired of chasing and whaddya know – cant even be bothered to look up when he passes back. Cabaye – always making those passes that work 60% of the time to a player who has no ability to either receive or hold it up (thats all players forward of him just so you know, except for Shola who then loses it inexplicably all by himself).

I am having real problems getting my head around this wonderful training stuff we do.

• 75 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:30 PM

rotonda

IPL?

From what I see of how we defend (and i’m no expert so people feel free to correct me) but its the most basic defensive tactic going. We sit deep, only pressing when the ball comes into our third. We keep a shape and thats it. I think, as most players stick to their position/area, that less thinking is involved and therefore less time needs to be spent on it.

It much more difficult to defend like barcelona who press high chase the ball and require players to drop into positions if somebody is caught out when closing down higher up.

• 76 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM

tsunki

But we shouldnt be getting tired. We defend really deep and dont press until teams are in our third. So even without the ball we don’t chase huge distances.

Look at barca (extreme example) they close down in packs, sprinting to the ball then when won back they are constantly on the move to give options….that must require huge fitness levels.

Top Fitness is something all teams should have, its a basic you can train into most t give you the edge even if you aren’t technically as good.

• 77 yorkshire_magpie // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM

@ rotonda. Im sure he would! To be honest we could do with a new manager lol!

• 78 davis_toons // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Now we are talking about Soton playing Reading at HOME. They keep the ball so well on their ground.

Pardew often complain about being away and stuff.

Mind you we do have international and Int-players to be playing for us.

We are talking about a Championship team here? …with low budget btw..

• 79 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Tsunki

It’s always ever since I can remember been a question of educating an English public who just want the ball hurled forward at every opportunity.

Patience and playing out from the back through the midfield is the key. SAF, Wenger, Mancini, Laudrup, Martinez, Pochettino, Rodgers, Benitez etc all have their teams playing pass and move football.

• 80 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM

davis

southampton have a decent budget…spent a bit in the summer.

But on paper we have a better team than them.

• 81 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:41 PM

sage

yes IPL. I like seeing the ball disappearing to all parts !!!

That chris gayle is something else

• 82 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM

rotonda

Got to admit though the long ball has its moments. When the percentages favour the long ball as passing short is to high a risk then it should be done. Obviously that isn’t to often but there are moments for it.

I mean when stoke’s keeper kicked long and the ball was headed to crouch who chested and volleyed it in, was a special goal.

But in general a game for 90 mins is better with controlled passes not just hit and hope long balls.

• 83 davis_toons // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM

“and yeh I know what you mean. I think intensive defensive coaching is fine for a period…get the team solid when you first arrive…thats fine. But equally I think the same amount of time needs to be spent on keeping the ball and moving it around. If you have possession you cannot concede…so that’s also a good defensive method.”

Well say! Transfer Sage

Pardew have to get the team to move on a gear already and

Mike or Lamp, they can’t be scapegoat now.

He got to show us how he have guided the team to play Football even if we are down with a goal or two, we got to play better with these players.

• 84 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM

rotonda

he is good….a guy i played with 4/5 years ago is staring for the hyderabad sunrisers this year. He just got the fasest ever 100 on test match debut last month for india.

• 85 norwegianmagpie // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Would have loved to have seen this at some point! Will probably stay a wet dream though.

———————Krul———————-
    ——-Taylor–Coloccini–Yanga-Mbiwa—-
    Debuchy———————————-Santon
    ————Cabaye——-Sissoko(/Tiote)—–
    —————Ben Arfa(/Sissoko)————
    ————-Cisse————Gouffran——

• 86 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM

what’s his name sage, i’ll look out for him

• 87 Tsunki // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Sage – I think the problem in the old tactic of sitting back protecting your areas is wasteful and tiring. I think it may actually be more cost-effective energy wise to press aggressively to get the ball back and force errors than to meander in your own zone chasing the shadows without actually doing anything meaningful. Ask any decent five-a-side goalie how tiring it can be to continually drop side to side without even making more than a couple of saves or collections. Its knackering ‘doing nowt’! I think aggressive reclaiming saves energy because once the ball is won, we should then be creating spaces where groups of players can pass in triangles and then around the back to relieve pressure and importantly to keep doing it even when you seem to be getting nowhere fast. This is why the likes of Barca are at the same time so boring and so fascinating to watch. Patience and energy belongs to the possessing side. If we turned outrselves into a side comfortable with keeping the ball as ours, we could let other sides face the difficulty of tiredness in the last 15 minutes.

• 88 DarkSideofTheToon // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Afternoon gentlemen (and ladies)

What is on the agenda?

• 89 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Davis

Pardew has shown he can get them playing really good stuff at times. What he needs to show is that he can do it on a consistent and regular basis.

I can drive the ball 300 yards down the middle of the fairway….but not very often which is part of the reason I can’t be a pro golfer (putting isn’t great either haha).

• 90 Rotonda heights // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM

sage

i’ve got no problem with a long pass, Hoddle was an absolute master and could land it on a sixpence. it’s playing the percentages all day long to the exclusion of any other options that would make me hate to be a stoke fan

• 91 Tsunki // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Ha ha it took me so long to reply to Sage @75 everybody including the man himself covered it already. Oh well.

• 92 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM

rotonda

shikha dhawan (left handed opener)

Was a very good pro in england a few years ago (only got him as he was visiting a friend playing in middlesbrough and he wanted to stay a bit longer)

Got his test 100 off 87 balls against australia on debut, got a score of 184 in the end I think then broke or injured his hand so out for 5/6 weeks

• 93 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM

tsunki

Yeh you’re right there.

I don’t think its too much to expect for our lads to play the style we know is best for them. The little details don’t worry me, we all have our own formations/starting 11/etc but the general style of play is something most here will agree on.

High tempo, pressing and playing in their half with plenty support for the forward(s).

• 94 davis_toons // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Yes, football can be played in different style and someone here mention before with Pardew we have very narrow style.

And it is not that we are winning most of the games with this kind of style.

Our players should be capable of playing some creative football.

Do we need a Technical Coach to assist the club or Pardew? In terms of off the ball / on the ball; where should the players position should be when the ball is in a particular area and things like that.

Will have to give Pardew more time and if he really can’t make it better then if best to get a more technically gifted coach in than to slowly lost all the better players that we have got in and again left with all the “dead-woods”

• 95 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM

rotonda

same as you on a long pass.

I dont even mind a long ball for forwards to chase into the channel….what annoys me is the straight ball down the middle that even if cisse wins he has little support around him to knock it down to.

At least stoke/west ham play the long ball and have 2/3 near the forward to give them a good chance to win the 2nd ball.

• 96 martoon // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I’ll say one thing after watching Reading – thank god we didn’t get Mariappa – he makes Mike Williamson look good :)

• 97 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Arrggggghhhhh
    Ffs please please stop with AC articles and speculation Ed! Love the blog but andy is not a NUFC player and won’t be next season west ham want him and have already put a fair whack of money into him, Liverpool want shot he will be a west ham player
    End of!!!!

• 98 davis_toons // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Hopefully Pardew can do it.

• 99 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM

stoke have a very real possibility of going down

• 100 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM

alan pas de clue

they really do…and a lot of their fans are questioning the manager and his style of play too, so maybe he is finished there.

• 101 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM

@ Alan

I hope they do. I can’t stand how they set up with nearly every player 6 foot plus and the way they play. Also the long throw ins do my head in as well.

• 102 Transfer Sage // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM

tads

haha I know.

For the money we’d have to pay for carroll we could get a proper target man who is good in the air but also good on the floor…lukaku was that amount and he has so much more potential.

• 103 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

seeing qpr and one of stoke/wigan/sunderland/villa go down caps a not so bad season. would be happy to see any off them go, except would miss derby day if mackems went

we just need to make sure we win against them and preferably fulham

• 104 Tayls // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Hey does anyone know if winners of the europa league qualify for the champions league?

Ide take a season in the championship for champions league football :D!!

• 105 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:24 PM

i dont think they do but dont hold me to it, i havent even heard about winners qualifying back for the europa league

• 106 Alan Pas-de-clue // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:24 PM

and i wouldnt take championship football for anything

• 107 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Is anybody watching the Swansea game?

…I have just sad down :-)

• 108 Jail for Ashley // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Apparently we need two wins for safety although in one instance 44 points has been needed to stay up, so two more wins and looking at the fixture list one of our two best chances of gaining one of those comes tomorrow against a Fulham team unbeaten in six with an inform Berbatov and a spite filled Duff, the lads will have to really show what their made of tomorrow, and this too good to go down assumption will be really put to the test tomorrow.
    HWTL.

• 109 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Sage
    When you look at most of our purchases for the money it would take to get Carroll we could get a new starting 11!
    Just get fed up with the same lazy tedious link over and over, plus for me Carroll would be an acknowledgement that the club isn’t trying to go forward in anyway

• 110 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Michu has just scored :-)

• 111 Jail for Ashley // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:36 PM

TS,
    Rest assured we wont be paying big money for Andy Carroll Mike Ashley would rather wait until Shola cant last his ten minute cameo if he thinks there’s a chance we’ll get him for free.

• 112 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Southampton will be safe now

Reading and QPR are down its between us , Sunderland, Wigan, Villa Stoke and Norwich for who is joining them Villa and Wigan are playing pretty well at the moment its no coincidence that the other teams who are struggling are long ball merchants eh!?

• 113 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Norwich has equalizedø

• 114 last minute window lies // Apr 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM

how can people on here put marv down as a starter against fulham he was awful against benfica , one pass should have put cisse in, the other he gave away a corner with back pass !!!, he’s prouduced two good assists all season !!

previous post: Injuries And Tired Legs Could Cost Newcastle Tomorrow