The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – The Win Was Very Very Important For This Football Club

8:21 pm, Sunday, April 7th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 125 Comments

It was a great result this afternoon, when Newcastle beat Fulham with a stoppage time goal from – who else – Papiss Cisse, but Newcastle are still down to the bare bones of the squad – and this time it was Davide Santon who damaged a hamstring, and from the look of it – he will be out a good few weeks – and maybe even for the rest of the season.

alan pardew final whistle fulham 1-0 win

Alan Pardew celebrates the final whistle this afternoon

And after the final whistle this afternoon, Alan was interviewed by nufcTV’s Rob Scanlon, and this is what a somber Newcastle manager said:

“In the first half we lacked composure, we were nervous and a little bit tired” “But in the second half there was a lot more composure about the way we passed the ball and our movement.”

“We caused them no end of problems, and I did genuinely think a goal was going to come, and you could sense the relief when it finally came. It was unbelievable.” “It was important – very, very important – for this football club that we won this game.”

“We found a way. It was a bit of magic in the end from Papiss, who had two big chances before that to score.” “In the end, he scored the most difficult, which is typical of him.”

And Alan verified that Santon’s injury looks like a hamstring, although that’s not yet official,  but it doesn’t look good, and this is what the manager said:

“I don’t know but the diagnosis is probably not good because it looks like a hamstring.”

Alan talked about the Benfica game and said the fans would have to be patient,  because against a team as good as Benfica we cannot go gung ho – because they will just pick us off.

But the win today sets up the next two games – and the lads will do all they can on Thursday night against Benfica – and then we have to go gung ho against Sunderland, and try to get our points total up to 39 points – and we should be fairly safe in the league, if we can do that – and we’ll be 8 points ahead of Sunderland.

But make no mistake about it – the win today was absolutely massive – and the lads thoroughly deserved it on that excellent second half performance – and that means Papiss Cisse’s fine individual goal was massive – again!!

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

125 responses so far ↓

• 1 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM

It certainly is

• 2 NUFCarter // Apr 7, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I’ll tell you what I wouldn’t mind guiterez starting left back next week. :)

• 3 TimKrulFan // Apr 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Hope he’s gone in the summer.

• 4 Krul to be Kind // Apr 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I had a 5 timer the day off the bar today, Newcastle, Chelsea, Spurs draw, qpr draw and them bassads liverfool ffs! Also had a wee lucky 20p (£3) lucky fifteen with Remy, Adebayor, Cisse and then that other wee bassad Suarez who screwed me from getting over £1k, but a £75 return from those 3 keeps me happy until the next round of games… Toon 2 nil Thursday against Benfica… I’m putting today’s winnings on it!!!!

HWTL

• 5 dazzrah // Apr 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM

That goal lifted the roof off the place today, F**KING CLASS

• 6 Munster Mag // Apr 7, 2013 at 8:51 PM

What a great day. Last gasp for Newcastle ( there was me cursing Pards by text at ha;f time to a fellow Irish fan who had said we were rubbish first half ) …..Makems lose…..and Munster pull off a stunning victory against Harlequins, away from Limerick. Savage!!!

• 7 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Actually thought we were excellent in the 2nd half we totally pounded them should have been a penalty for us with a red card for Fulham but it was better to win that way as what a buzz!!!

Anita was really good today won the ball a lot and kept the ball moving its simple short passes which we need to create space he should be given a run in the team as should Marveux who seemed to be everywhere today

We were patient in the 2nd half as well sometimes with Tiote in the team after a few passes he tries a long pass or a stupid shot from miles out and it means we lose possession but we were pressing the whole game as well which was great to watch

If we can get the early goal against Benfica and play with that energy and intensity they may crumble although what team/formation will we play on Thursday with Gouffran/Santon out?

I would play the same team but replace Gouffy with Shola and go 442 again and just look to batter them as Benfica would not like a physical game Benfica did look decent the last game but that was when we allowed them back into it when we pressed them at the start of the game they could not handle it so more of the same please

• 8 TorqToon // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Watched the celebrations with pards in the crowd over and over again and gives me shivers!!!

People questioned his passion and love for this club, this city and us fans….nobody can question that now!!! Not even the harshest of critics!

A massive massive win!!!

Toon fans are put through the mill, have no finger nails left and are seemingly always on edge…

…but we wouldn’t have it any other way!!!

• 9 Krul to be Kind // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Here here Torq

• 10 NUFC_LEAZES END // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM

@TADS

yeah their goal was an own goal muahahaha

@JTOONJ
    but their was, we may not have been converting our chances but we were on top of them :)

anyways cracking result, we can now look forward to benfica.
    But its a question of, do we give our all in the benfica game, field our strongest team, leaving them tired for the sunderland game? Or do we make about 5 changes say
    gouffran-ameobi,
    perch – anita,
    santon-jonas,
    Elliot-krul,
    marv-obertan,
    and have next to no chance of getting through but having a stronger squad for sunderland.

its decisions like this that the manager has to make to prove whether he has poor management decisions or good management decisions

I personally would go for this on Thursday

Elliot
    simmo saylor mbiwa santon
    anita perch
    marv cabaye Jonas
    cisse

and for sunderland

————-krul————–
    simmo saylor mbiwa santon
    ————sissoko————
    marv——————–jonas
    ———cisse gouffran——-

only 3 changes like but I think we should still go for the Europa since we won today and im sure most of our players wont need their fitness but feed off the crowds atmosphere which surely should give them a bit of grit. :)

• 11 tooninspain // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Leazes….there’s no way Santon will be playing in either game.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM

What an important result today,more than once I’ve been accused of wanting us to lose for whatever reason,but if anyone knew how my stomach churned when Sky announced there had been a goal at SJP and then strung it out before telling us that Cisse had scored the winner,it was unbelievable.

• 13 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Torq
    I wouldn’t mind the odd season of us just walking the league winning a cup and signing some worldies…might just be me though

U heard out about M’bengue to the toon?

• 14 NUFC_LEAZES END // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM

tooninspain

is he injured like?

• 15 yo-yo // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM

We’ve got to go for both Benfica and Unwashed – the guys should be really up for it. This is why they’re footballers – they want to compete at the highest level.
    Two games in four days and then six days to recover for WBA away. Just hope we get no more injuries and guys start to get back to match readiness

• 16 tooninspain // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM

He went off after about 20 mins with a pulled hamstring.

• 17 check the toastie // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Personally think we are playing better currently than at any point last year, we played excellent toady and were good value for a comfortable win, it didnt happen, but the main man who gets ricks on here giving him a hard time came up trumps again.

Special mention for Jonas from me, he looks like he has lost some weight/bulk and is performing much better for it, its nice to see as he has been a super servent to the club. Just hope Pardew plays a similar team Thursday, Obertan for Goofy, dont want to see Shola start as it encourages us to go long and as such give the ball away, we cannot do this against a side as good as Benfica, looking forward to the next two games.

Would also like to say that Simmo has played OK since he’s come back into the side, would still favour Anita in there but hey hoo. Premier League football next year, and the possibility that Pardew may become a little more attack minded, there is hope for Pards yet, not much but a some.

• 18 NUFC_LEAZES END // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

@tooninspain

yeah I thought it was just cramp or something :/ I take it he’ll be out for a while then :(
    our physios must be doing something wrong

• 19 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Also Barcelona play 2 and 3 games in a week every week and still give performances players only get tired if you constantly say that they will be tired winning makes players forget about aches and pains!!

• 20 yo-yo // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM

M’bengue and Haidara LB would free up Santon for Right Mid. That would be an appetising prospect

• 21 tooninspain // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Leazes…..I would say the least he’ll be out is 2 weeks, and the worst case scenario would see him out for the rest of the season. Let’s just hope Haidara will be back.

• 22 AS MAGS // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Sorry to keep banging on about it, but I need reassurance that cisse ain’t suspended. Not convinced yet

• 23 NUFC_LEAZES END // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:41 PM

@tooninspain

if haidara does come back for next weeke i’ll be happy cause hes a better defender than santon like

• 24 yo-yo // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM

We’ve had some real bad reffing decisions recently with Wigan and now this too

• 25 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Cisse isn’t suspended he’d need 10 yellows in order to be suspended he currently has 4

• 26 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Check
    Has someone hacked your account!!
    Completely agree with you mate and today for me jonas was MOTM hopefully his confidence is now sky high because having a player like jonas on that sort of form will be invaluable to us for buisness end of the season
    Last season benny came back to give us a huge push could jonas be our season saviour!!!!

• 27 Edmond // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMEb7D02Hzc This is the wierdest video I have ever seen, give it a watch.. think pardrew has a stalker hahaha

• 28 TorqToon // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Yo – That would just bore us though mate!! :-)

The M’bengue talk is massive at the moment. Have heard whisperings from several pretty decent sources that we are seriously interested in him. And the same goes for Sakho. PSG are playing down all the talk, but the truth of the matter is that Sakho wants to leave.

And given that he speaks with Yanga and Gouff pretty much every week, can ONLY work in our favour. I heard a little piece of news about somebody (big name target) having a family member sat in our crowd today watching the game, and liasing with the club, but I’m still trying to find out more and confirm its accuracy.

• 29 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:44 PM

manxpie…you cannot make that black and white my friend.

If you want to look at injuries and compare them then you have to take a look at the strength and size of the squad first. You also have to take a look at which players have you had injured , the time frame and the number of players. You even have to take into consideration whether or not you have adequate cover for that person.

Before I go on you can actually do some of the research yourself. Tads or Tequila did post a link some time ago where you can see the days of injuries each club have had, but remember it only tells you the days not anything regarding what I mentioned above.

If you want to have a discussion about this due tell we the next time we meet on the blog; it is a bit late now and since it might be a subject where we don’t agree ;) then I think it deserves out full attention. Is that okay with you?

• 30 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Torq
    One season wouldn’t be boring am sure Manc fans seem to enjoy it haha

Sounds pretty good to me I’d love Sakho tbh and M’bengue is meant to be good though I’ve never seen him play left footed though I believe. As for the big named target I don’t think Zlatan is all that interested in us ;)

I’d imagine there is plenty of talk going on in relation to targets being set up at least I hope there is in regards to us still reckon we need a good chunk of depth added into the squad

• 31 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Torq
    How are ya mate?
    Was asking the other night but do you remember us being linked with rodrigo? Was that ever genuine or just paper talk?

Jesper
    Please stop listing me in your posts like that, I’ve never posted a link up like that but find it hard to believe that last seasons injury list would mirror this seasons injuries

• 32 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Torq
    On a side note glad to see u back posting mate…even if u are a itk begger haha

• 33 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM

tads…maybe it wasn’t you who posted the link sorry about that.

…no offense , but I don’t really care whether or not you think/believe we have had the same amount of injuries last season.

• 34 Krul to be Kind // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM

shit, check out Jesper getting all adult @29!

Showing your age pal! haha

Would love to see Anita moved into either full back slot, too lightweight for DM, but too tidy a footballer to have sat on the bench.

• 35 TorqToon // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM

TADS / Yo -

Its nice to know I’ve been missed! :-)

I have been reading the blog regularly but Work has been manic of late so not been able to post very much. But things have calmed a little and its nice to be back and catching up with some old friends.

On Rodrigo, as far as I’m aware it’s purely fabrication by the media. Although as I’m only And ITK begger… There’s always a chance I simply didn’t hear the info! Ha

• 36 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Torq…good to see you back mate!

…sounds promising; keep us posted :)

• 37 TorqToon // Apr 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Will do jesp. Hope you are well, sir.

• 38 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Krul… :)

…I always show other people the same respect they show me (…just didn’t read everything manxpie wrote until now…maybe that would have changed my post a bit lol)

• 39 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Torq
    Tbh reading rather than commenting is often far more attractive at times. Glad to hear works keeping u busy though bound to be a good thing

Haha well as the only itk begger I trust I expect u to keep this good info coming

• 40 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Jesper
    In that case, no offence obviously, but stop fcuking naming me in your arguement a with other posters if my opinion doesn’t matter

Torq
    Ah that’s a shame about rodrigo was hoping to see him in B&W!!!!
    Mind you it’s good to hear you’ve been busy, hopefully busy spreading the word of the mighty toon!!
    And tapping up players of course!

• 41 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Torq…thanks mate. I am doing great, thanks for asking.

…have you been doing alot of work in France lately?

• 42 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM

tads…don’t worry!

…I always do try my best not to mention you at all! …I most have had a weak moment. Like I said I do apologies.

• 43 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Toonarmydownsouth
    Will u stop saying similar things to me people are already starting to wonder if we are the same person and I don’t want to be brought into a Ian Toon debacle

• 44 Krul to be Kind // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I liked it, very diplomatic ps I will discuss with you if you want ;-)

I kind of seen some of it by flicking through today and got to admit I don’t think last season was anywhere near as bad as this season injury we used the same players continually this season, I’m off the opinion that poor planning for the Europa League this season with new players and the digression of our youngsters has made it what it is.

Pardew sort of won me back a bit today from Thursday’s performance and clear delusion in his post match interview… was nearly crossed over!

• 45 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM

WWYCD
    Mate you’ve got to stop saying similar things as me I really don’t want an Ian Toon incident about this ;)

Jesper
    Try harder then you can’t drag someone into an arguement then dismiss there opinion makes you look pretty petty

• 46 newcben // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Ok I know some will disagree but I would 100% take Remy when QPR go down! At the end of the day he had no loyalty to Newcastle and if another employer are going to come in and offer insane wages he is quite right to go…short careers an all.
    Remy and Sakho alone could make our side so much better. I have been looking forward to seeing HBA and Debuchy down the right, I hope I do get to see this and HBA doesnt leave in summer as I think we could really be a team next year. Still a Pardew hater though, love his passion hate his tactics.

———————Krul—————–
    Debuchy—STaylor–Sakho—Santon
    ————–Tiote—–Cabaye———-
    HBA———–Sissoko———–Remy
    ——————Cisse——————-

Bench:
    Elliot
    MBwia
    Perch
    Anita
    Jonas
    Marv
    Shola

Actual game changers on the bench.

• 47 Krul to be Kind // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM

sorry meant used the same players continually last season

• 48 TorqToon // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM

TADS – always try some casual ‘tapping up’ where I can. :-)

Jesp – For the past fortnight I have been working with Nancy. And whilst they are struggling in the league this season, they are probably the most welcoming and friendly club I’ve worked at. (Toulouse being the worst!) I hope they can turn things around and stay in ligue 1 this year.

Am back for a few days this week for my daughter’s birthday, then Thursday I’m off back to St. Ettiene for follow up and case reviews.

So it’s crazy busy, but I’m one of those strange fellas who enjoys their job. haha

Yo – I will always inform you of things I hear that I confirm myself, and will keep you posted on the player possibly having a rep at today’s game.

• 49 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Toonarmydownsouth
    I see what u did there….if kids didn’t read this ud be seeing some swears right now haha

Also I can’t tell but are u and Jesper having a real tiff or is this some in joke I’ve missed out on again :(

• 50 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:11 PM

newcben
    Mate think most would take rent in a heartbeat, not sure if the club would after it all got a bit public but could possibly be in the driving seat in regards to wages?

• 51 Krul to be Kind // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM

newcben

are you Remy’s agent doing some PR touting for another chance?

I think he is a class act mind and he hasn’t done himself any harm in his QPR displays

• 52 TorqToon // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Yo – I’m thinking the same!!

Hoping it’s friendly banter between two very valuable and respected posters.

• 53 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Torq
    Good lad it’s much appreciated

• 54 yo-yo // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Nine current 1st team squad injuries (Physioroom) – four of which are hamstring….

Nobody can pretend we haven’t had a terrible season for injuries

• 55 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Torq
    Aye me too mate still would be odd if we all hot along haha

• 56 TorqToon // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Footballing head says take Remy…

Toon heart says he had his chance and disrespected us greatly…

• 57 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Yo
    Mate the lads royally getting on my t1ts mate, misreads or misunderstands what you type, goes anally retentive about it, drops your names into arguement a with others then dimisses the fact he’s done it along with others opinions, where’s the point on coming on a blog if you can’t accept the fact not everyone agrees with you?

• 58 TorqToon // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Yeah…wouldn’t be right I guess. Just reckon the anger could be saved for the trolls on this blog. :-)

• 59 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Torq
    St ettinne eh? Better start flashing PEA and Zouma that key ring mate!!!

Krul
    Have to agree there, think many of us thought some of the youngsters would progress much more than they have this season

• 60 Krul to be Kind // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM

NINE!!!

That is shocking but I must say reluctantly that a great manager will work a team around the players available and possibly pre empt alternative selection in training given a bad case scenario. Hopefully he will learn and have more depth for next season

• 61 yo-yo // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:19 PM

TADS

I don’t agree that Jesper doesn’t accept the fact that not eveyone agrees with him… :)

• 62 yo-yo // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Krul

Just hope Mashley get’s it !

• 63 newcben // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM

@Krul to be Kind

I wish I was mate, defo wouldnt be on here talking to you…..feet up in barbados living off that commission thats what would be happening right now! ha

• 64 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Krul…thanks mate ;) lol

…pour planning does probably play its part as well as the three at top placing too much faith in our youngsters!

I think our biggest problem this season has been hubris. Both players and manager (maybe even owner as well) have had loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of there own and the teams competence and capabilities!

Then we can add all the obstacle we have had and we are in for one hell of a season. That said, yes I still think we were hit more or less as bad last season when it comes to injuries compared to the strength of team at the time.

Just my opinion :)

• 65 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Toonarmydownsouth
    Well can’t say I have ever had a issue with Jesper but equally can’t say I’ve read what’s gone on today or what the arguments about so I’ve not got a clue but ur both normally sound contributors so can’t we just agree to fight against the head cases and WUMs haha

• 66 Krul to be Kind // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:22 PM

TADS

I was so excited to see them this pre season, had extremely high hopes, but I think if he had blooded them intermittently before he had to use so many of them we would be in a better place, and so too them, not in the SPL and league 2, this is Newcastle ‘Injury’ United after all, when do we never get injury problems, (except last year ironically)

• 67 TorqToon // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Yo – UN peacekeeper for nufc blog! :-)

• 68 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Oh if we signed Zouma ah to dream

• 69 TheGallowgateEnd // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Links for MOTD2 online, anyone?

• 70 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Lol
    Anyone see that ballotelli’s been fined after being caught smoking in the toilet on a train!!!

• 71 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Torq
    What Kim Jong Uns number? I will sort this mess out pronto

• 72 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Torq…was Toulouse the club with that colorful owner who didn’t seem to think much of us? :)

• 73 Krul to be Kind // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM

newc ben – haha ;-)

Jesper – see above

I think pre season we made mistakes not signing, we then signed players to cover an injury crisis, then our crisis deepens, how many games did raylor play last season for example – he was almost integral, ergo Benny minus the start to the season he WAS integral, Taylor well he had his usual stint on the sidelines, Krul we lost him a couple of times he was one of the main men!

IMO it is not how many but who has been injured that matters, and it does give a little credence to the club for attempting to rectify it, and if January was anything to go by the I think the summer will hopefully make Ashley go and seek redemption!

• 74 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Krul
    Feel we were bringing them through quiet well last season but think this season the inclusion of some were forced, but then for me that falls on the clubs failure to strengthen in the summer!

Yo
    Tbh mate not to bothered whether or not someone has a problem with me/my opinion but if they don’t want a response then simply stop name dropping in posts pretty simple really!
    MOTD has just started glad to see them doing there beat to make Di Canio look areet horrible tw@!!!

• 75 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Wow how did Gardner not walk for that challenge on demba!

• 76 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Toonarmydownsouth
    Haha fair one mate

Tbf doesn’t take much to make PDC look horrible

• 77 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Mata what a player he is

• 78 Krul to be Kind // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:36 PM

we should spank this lot next week… terrible terrible side!

• 79 yo-yo // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:36 PM

TADS

Cud easily have been a red.

• 80 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:37 PM

YO
    They just need to show his ugly mug with that mackem scarf round his neck and that pretty much sets the tone!

• 81 TorqToon // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Jesp – The very same, sir.

Not keen on us at all since we took their best player off them for less than £2mil!! Haha

• 82 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Torq
    Almost forgot, anymore talk on Mirin mate??

Yo yo
    Horrible challenge, reminded me of the De Jong tackle on benny, bit of a scissors motion

WWYCD
    Mata is world class mate one of the best in his position

• 83 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Toonarmydownsouth
    Aye very true mate. Also surprised that Gardner stayed on the pitch though apparently he’s suspended for our game because of the yellow? Good for us he’s a solid player. I reckon Larson will be the one to kick lumps out of our lads next week

• 84 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM

How can this muppet on MOTD say wickham and sessegnon were outstanding when they didn’t register a single shot on target??

• 85 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Man imagine if we signed Sakho, M’Bengue and PEA ?!?Would give us the perfect blend of strength and skill we would never get bullied off another team in the league again!!!

Alternatively if it meant we saved a bit of transfer money on transfer fees Sane and Remy could be the backup alternatives

I mean we shocked everyone on this blog with Debuchy, Mbiwa and Sissoko in January!

We could then move Santon to the wing and let him and Arfa carve through defenses all game

• 86 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I could watch Mata play all day long work rate of Jonas ball skills of HBA. If u want to compare him to our lads

• 87 Krul to be Kind // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM

For west brom I would leave Papiss on the bench if we get the result against 5under1and, unless he bags a few, and give goofy a wee go on his own up front on his own to rest the big man up and take the pressure off him.

cisse to me looks like he is carrying the world on his shoulders, although he is playing well and bagging the odd one, last season he would have buried every chance he got this season he has had more chances but he needs to relax and unleash the natural beast in him that was last season, no expectation and no fear

• 88 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Wonder if torres is wearing the mask that colo got for Ba?;)

• 89 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Krul…I think you are right in assuming that Ashley won’t be as naive again come summer!

…you know with hubris comes nemesis ;)

But to be fair our defense have not that different this year compared to last year injury-wise. Raylor played alot of games last season until around Xmas or so when Santon became a regular and as you say Saylor has been injured more or less both seasons.

Raylor is out injured, but Santon has played more or less every match until January and Simmo has been fit i think for most part. So both season we have had Colo and Willo at the back :)

Krul I think have been fit both season except the last 4-6 weeks (was he injured last season?) Our forwards been fit both season and Benny didn’t figure last season before January and he is out now sadly.

ACON was not kind to us last season and we have been better of this time around.

That’s mainly why I haven’t been so fuss about injuries.

• 90 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Nasty from Zamora can see why he walked

• 91 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Man if we’d convinced Remy to join in Jan shame really

• 92 Krul to be Kind // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Jesper our talismanic Cabaye has missed a lot of this season, tiote really out of form Collo played almost every game last season and has missed plenty of this and had a 3 game ban, Simmo has had his mind elsewhere with that new bird and out of contract Guti but most of all it is the front 3 HBA has missed so much of this season and cabaye coming out with his depression and injury explains lack of form, that can’t be blamed on the manager

• 93 yo-yo // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Jesper

Don’t agree – we have suffered considerably this season with injuries and lack of squad depth.

My worst pick would be Benny with only 15 apps this season

• 94 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM

YO
    Hypothetically like, but if we’d signed remy and he’d played like he has been, do you think he may of nicked cisse’s spot???

• 95 Krul to be Kind // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:59 PM

right guys
    night
    think we might be on MOTD2 next off to lye up and watch it!

• 96 NUFC_LEAZES END // Apr 7, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I respect people’s personal opinions and all that but, I don’t get why people would have remy.

1. he rejected us for a club bottom of the league because they offered more money

2. weve past the stage where we buy players with wages that are sky high and we don’t want a player to come to us for the money, because REMY IS A MERCENARY.

3. hes not one of a kind, theres plenty of players like him to choose from.

4. we could probably get a player in fro cheaper wages and that actually wants to come and play for our club.

like how I said, I respect people’s opinions :)

• 97 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Toonarmydownsouth
    Nar i think he’d of taken Jonas’s on the wing or Sissokos central spot tbh reckon he would of quickly become a star unfortunately would I take him when QPR go down seems to be the question doing the rounds I really don’t know if I would tbh

• 98 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:03 PM

After that finish, a big fat yes to Remy in the summer regardless of how he treated us :) . Imagine this

——–HBA——–Cisse——–Remy——–

Imagine being a defender marking those 3. Scary stuff

• 99 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Ahh lloris how do you get megged on the near post from a header!!!

YO
    Aye suppose he prob would of been deployed as a winger either way think the lad would be a star here by now, shame just hope we bring in some one of equal quality in the summer!

• 100 yo-yo // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I’d take Remy too.
    It’s a professional game and players often go where the money is.
    Okay he was pretty lowlife about it so Leazes you’ve got a strong point.

• 101 yo-yo // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Who said Spuds were a one man team ?

• 102 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Krul…that is why I have blamed hubris and form in my armuments :)

…it doesn’t mean I don’t think we have had injuries and that they play a part as some seem to think is the case.

Colo has been sadly been hit by injuries- thankfully we have signed Mbiwa and Saylor is fit again. I actually think Simmo has been good this season, so I cannot complain about the lad.

In a perfect world we would probably had signed Debuchy last summer and Simmo would have been of to WBA (but I am kind of glad we have him at the moment).

Cabs should ave had an operation in pre-season, but I think it’s 8 games or so that separates him from last season and we have signed Anita.

You also have to remember we only signed Cissé in January and was stretch up front last season quality-wise. It has been alot better this season I think (we still need to replace Ba I think)

• 103 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:09 PM

@Leazes End

I understand totally where you are coming from I mean if we can get better than him for cheaper then great but if we could not get our other targets and he was available and willing to come for a similar wage that he was offered in January would you really turn him down? If it was between having him signed or Ameobi starting every 2nd game what would you do?!?!

I would prefer it if we could get someone else but he is an excellent player with the goals and pace for what we need but would love it if we signed PEA but I think we will have lost out on him

Also would anyone take a chance on Shane Long for support striker?!?Rumours are that he wants to leave West Brom in the summer!!

• 104 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:10 PM

*armuments = arguments

• 105 WWYCD // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Toonarmydownsouth
    Would of been a instant hit with us but oh we’ll

Another one we should of tried harder for Mirallas at Everton

• 106 lesh // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:10 PM

So, Jail’s stomach churned ….. That info adds to the rumour that he’s human!

• 107 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I would actually take Tarrabt from QPR as well. Controversial I know but we have seen what Pardew can do with so called “bad boys” and the guy definitley has talent. Him & HBA in the same team, they have Tekkers for days :)

• 108 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:18 PM

yo-yo…losing Benny a the time we did has been a real blow agree :(

…I am not saying we haven’t been hit by injuries this season. I just don’t think the amount of injuries to crucial players have been worse this season compared to last season.

We have been stretch again this season mainly in book because we have put to much faith in the youngster.

But we have had covers for most players we have lost this season – there has been tough period lately where injuries has taken all or fullback more or less.

Without this discussion getting out of hand (as it has done before) I just think we should be doing much better this season with the players we have and taking out injuries into consideration.

There will probably be different opinions on that. Some might disagree with both of us and solely blame the top for not investing enough money (that has been a problem as well and something they have admitted to)

• 109 NUFC_LEAZES END // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:23 PM

@santonthenewmaldini

I would rather have ameobi because he is a proper goalscoring machine. ;)

quality wise I would have remy yes but,
    reason to play for our club I wouldn’t have him.

like how I said theres plenty more like him out there, im sure graham carr could find a messi from any corner of the earth if he wanted to but since we are concentrated on france I have a strong feeling we will get PEA, who I think is very similar to remy :)

• 110 yo-yo // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Jesper
    If we hadn’t strengthened in Januaary we would be serious relegation fodder.
    We simply have not had the depth to cover – the youngsters were not up to it in numbers.

• 111 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:29 PM

yo-yo…and that is why we have strengthen in January.

…if the youngsters were setting the league on fire and we didn’t have injuries we might not have signed that many.

But yo-yo if our star players were playing anywhere near the level they did last season and Pardew were more consistent then luck would probably have seen our way on more occasion and we wouldn’t be relegation fodder.

• 112 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM

@Leazes

PEA would be the dream signing but I think other teams will be after him and we might get priced out

Sunderland looked like they gave Chelsea a game the derby is setting up to be a cracker!!Gardner should be suspended after that tackle on Ba that was shocking!!

• 113 pawl250 // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I wonder if Remy has a clause in his contract…

Ok doesn’t look great going for a player who initially went elsewhere instead of us, but he is showing he still can score goals. I mean arguably a bigger club could come calling, and in that respect he made the right decision.

Think about it, he goes to QPR for money, does what he needs to do, QPR go down, gets sold for buttons, ends up on same money bigger club.

It could happen.

Personally I think these injuries are now too frequent to be freak injuries, something is wrong behind the scenes, perhaps training schedules, I have friends who know a few players in the club.

Ben Arfa was doing unsupervised weight training on his legs the day before the Villa game that caused the injury originally. I am not saying this was the cause but, these friends also tell me he should not have been lifting the amount of weights he was lifting the day before a match, it would automatically increase the chances of an injury.

Apparently Newcastle does not hire whatever these watcher type, fitness staff are called, unlike most PL clubs, like I said I dont know if thats the reasons for the higher injury hit list this season, but its starting to become a joke!

• 114 yo-yo // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Jesper

I agree a drop in form caused us loads of problems – put the two together and you’ve got a reasonably good explanation for underachieving this season.

• 115 yo-yo // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM

pawl

Got to be an explanation – that’s serious

• 116 pawl250 // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I think for me my transfer targets would be

Andy Carroll
    PEA
    John Guidetti
    Siem de Jong
    Douglas
    Alderwield
    Nathaniel Clyne
    Loic Remy
    Benteke (if Villa are relegated)
    Belhanda

I dont mean sign all the above, but certainly a few too strengthen.

Danny Simpson
    Dan Gosling
    Ryan Taylor
    Gab Obertan
    Steve Harper
    Colo ? – we’ll see, I would like him to stay

I hope we do strengthen, we need it too challenge, we never have a full squad available!

• 117 toonLYF // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Against Sunderland we really should just play to our strengths for once and attack them constantly. It’s not the type of game where the players will be able to get away with the frustrating performance today; the fans we’re fairly patient today, however that certainly won’t be the case against Sunderland. I’d like to see us get a first half goal and really control the game. Sunderland didn’t look too bad on the counter attack against Chelsea, so i’m guessing they’re gonna play a similar setup.

I’d like to see this…(assuming Santon, Debuchy and Haidara are out, obviously they come in at full back if possible).

———————–Krul———————–

Simpson—-Taylor—-M’biwa——Anita

———-Cabaye———–Sissoko———-

——————-Marveaux——————-

Jonas————–Cisse———–Gouffran

• 118 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Yo-yo…yeah it’s a bad cocktail!

…I guess the question that has separated us is if we should have been able to have done better this season taking the above into consideration?

The last 6 games will also determent what impact our January signings have made. Form is still very inconsistent.

I think there will be alot of evaluation in the summer and presumably alot will happen/change!

• 119 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM

LYF…beating Sunderland will make us safe I think (please don’t jinx us now lol)

…Reading and QPR are really in trouble and so will Sunderland be if or when we beat them :)

• 120 BOOM BOOM THE 1ST // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:47 PM

ive heard people say we overrate our players . but we dont weve a class squad prob 2 or 3 top players off being champ lge but pards gotta take some flak its not good enough at the minute im a big fan of alan and said id follow him off a cliff but im very dissappointed with how he has us playing.

• 121 Mister Tuff // Apr 7, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Imagine if Dirty Harry hadn’t waylaid Remy in London – would we have had to endure such a frantic time. I’m sure we would be at least a couple of wins better off.
    When QPR go down I’m sure they will not be giving him away unless there is a clause in his contract. Upon reflection I would not say no to him.
    Whether PEA is available is another matter -his father is his agent who appears to be travelling all over the place touting him – it was Fiorentina last week and this week Roma – so if we can make some progress all is perhaps not lost.

• 122 bainbridge2930 // Apr 8, 2013 at 12:09 AM

On a side note congrats to Brad Inman for his winners medal today, was a friend of mine at school. Lovely lad and seems to be doing the job at crewe, one for the future definitely. Deserves a little mention i reckon ed ;)

• 123 reccerobbo // Apr 8, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Apparently remy and samba have a £10 mill clause in there contracts if they get relegated

• 124 AndyMac // Apr 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

“Pardew – The Win Was Very Very Important For This Football Club”

Translated to “This win was very important for my chances of hanging on to a job next season”

If we had a decent manager, David Moyes, Laurent Blanc, Dragan Stojkovi? (apparently destined to take over at The Emirates) Ole Solskjær or maybe the outstanding choice, Michael Laudrup, I guarantee you we wouldnt struggle to get three points from Fulham at home.

We’ll never win a thing with Pardwho in the ring :-)

• 125 AndyMac // Apr 8, 2013 at 6:15 PM

FAO Bainbridge

I’d like to be proved wrong, I really would, but at 21 you should be playing first team football if you’re good enough for the Premier League. Jack Wilshere’s an England international and the same age as Brad.

previous post: Newcastle 1 Fulham 0 – Video Highlights