Pardew – The Win Was Very Very Important For This Football Club

It was a great result this afternoon, when Newcastle beat Fulham with a stoppage time goal from – who else – Papiss Cisse, but Newcastle are still down to the bare bones of the squad – and this time it was Davide Santon who damaged a hamstring, and from the look of it – he will be out a good few weeks – and maybe even for the rest of the season.

alan pardew final whistle fulham 1-0 win

Alan Pardew celebrates the final whistle this afternoon

And after the final whistle this afternoon, Alan was interviewed by nufcTV’s Rob Scanlon, and this is what a somber Newcastle manager said:

“In the first half we lacked composure, we were nervous and a little bit tired” “But in the second half there was a lot more composure about the way we passed the ball and our movement.”

“We caused them no end of problems, and I did genuinely think a goal was going to come, and you could sense the relief when it finally came. It was unbelievable.” “It was important – very, very important – for this football club that we won this game.”

“We found a way. It was a bit of magic in the end from Papiss, who had two big chances before that to score.” “In the end, he scored the most difficult, which is typical of him.”

And Alan verified that Santon’s injury looks like a hamstring, although that’s not yet official,  but it doesn’t look good, and this is what the manager said:

“I don’t know but the diagnosis is probably not good because it looks like a hamstring.”

Alan talked about the Benfica game and said the fans would have to be patient,  because against a team as good as Benfica we cannot go gung ho – because they will just pick us off.

But the win today sets up the next two games – and the lads will do all they can on Thursday night against Benfica – and then we have to go gung ho against Sunderland, and try to get our points total up to 39 points – and we should be fairly safe in the league, if we can do that – and we’ll be 8 points ahead of Sunderland.

But make no mistake about it – the win today was absolutely massive – and the lads thoroughly deserved it on that excellent second half performance – and that means Papiss Cisse’s fine individual goal was massive – again!!

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Big Pappa Cissé

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM

It certainly is

• NUFCarter

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I’ll tell you what I wouldn’t mind guiterez starting left back next week. 🙂

• TimKrulFan

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Hope he’s gone in the summer.

• Krul to be Kind

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I had a 5 timer the day off the bar today, Newcastle, Chelsea, Spurs draw, qpr draw and them bassads liverfool ffs! Also had a wee lucky 20p (£3) lucky fifteen with Remy, Adebayor, Cisse and then that other wee bassad Suarez who screwed me from getting over £1k, but a £75 return from those 3 keeps me happy until the next round of games… Toon 2 nil Thursday against Benfica… I’m putting today’s winnings on it!!!!

HWTL

• dazzrah

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM

That goal lifted the roof off the place today, F**KING CLASS

• Munster Mag

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:51 PM

What a great day. Last gasp for Newcastle ( there was me cursing Pards by text at ha;f time to a fellow Irish fan who had said we were rubbish first half ) …..Makems lose…..and Munster pull off a stunning victory against Harlequins, away from Limerick. Savage!!!

• santonthenewmaldini

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Actually thought we were excellent in the 2nd half we totally pounded them should have been a penalty for us with a red card for Fulham but it was better to win that way as what a buzz!!!

Anita was really good today won the ball a lot and kept the ball moving its simple short passes which we need to create space he should be given a run in the team as should Marveux who seemed to be everywhere today

We were patient in the 2nd half as well sometimes with Tiote in the team after a few passes he tries a long pass or a stupid shot from miles out and it means we lose possession but we were pressing the whole game as well which was great to watch

If we can get the early goal against Benfica and play with that energy and intensity they may crumble although what team/formation will we play on Thursday with Gouffran/Santon out?

I would play the same team but replace Gouffy with Shola and go 442 again and just look to batter them as Benfica would not like a physical game Benfica did look decent the last game but that was when we allowed them back into it when we pressed them at the start of the game they could not handle it so more of the same please

• TorqToon

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Watched the celebrations with pards in the crowd over and over again and gives me shivers!!!

People questioned his passion and love for this club, this city and us fans….nobody can question that now!!! Not even the harshest of critics!

A massive massive win!!!

Toon fans are put through the mill, have no finger nails left and are seemingly always on edge…

…but we wouldn’t have it any other way!!!

• Krul to be Kind

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Here here Torq

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM

@TADS

yeah their goal was an own goal muahahaha

@JTOONJ
    but their was, we may not have been converting our chances but we were on top of them 🙂

anyways cracking result, we can now look forward to benfica.
    But its a question of, do we give our all in the benfica game, field our strongest team, leaving them tired for the sunderland game? Or do we make about 5 changes say
    gouffran-ameobi,
    perch – anita,
    santon-jonas,
    Elliot-krul,
    marv-obertan,
    and have next to no chance of getting through but having a stronger squad for sunderland.

its decisions like this that the manager has to make to prove whether he has poor management decisions or good management decisions

I personally would go for this on Thursday

Elliot
    simmo saylor mbiwa santon
    anita perch
    marv cabaye Jonas
    cisse

and for sunderland

————-krul————–
    simmo saylor mbiwa santon
    ————sissoko————
    marv——————–jonas
    ———cisse gouffran——-

only 3 changes like but I think we should still go for the Europa since we won today and im sure most of our players wont need their fitness but feed off the crowds atmosphere which surely should give them a bit of grit. 🙂

• tooninspain

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Leazes….there’s no way Santon will be playing in either game.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM

What an important result today,more than once I’ve been accused of wanting us to lose for whatever reason,but if anyone knew how my stomach churned when Sky announced there had been a goal at SJP and then strung it out before telling us that Cisse had scored the winner,it was unbelievable.

• WWYCD

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Torq
    I wouldn’t mind the odd season of us just walking the league winning a cup and signing some worldies…might just be me though

U heard out about M’bengue to the toon?

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM

tooninspain

is he injured like?

• yo-yo

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM

We’ve got to go for both Benfica and Unwashed – the guys should be really up for it. This is why they’re footballers – they want to compete at the highest level.
    Two games in four days and then six days to recover for WBA away. Just hope we get no more injuries and guys start to get back to match readiness

• tooninspain

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM

He went off after about 20 mins with a pulled hamstring.

• check the toastie

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Personally think we are playing better currently than at any point last year, we played excellent toady and were good value for a comfortable win, it didnt happen, but the main man who gets ricks on here giving him a hard time came up trumps again.

Special mention for Jonas from me, he looks like he has lost some weight/bulk and is performing much better for it, its nice to see as he has been a super servent to the club. Just hope Pardew plays a similar team Thursday, Obertan for Goofy, dont want to see Shola start as it encourages us to go long and as such give the ball away, we cannot do this against a side as good as Benfica, looking forward to the next two games.

Would also like to say that Simmo has played OK since he’s come back into the side, would still favour Anita in there but hey hoo. Premier League football next year, and the possibility that Pardew may become a little more attack minded, there is hope for Pards yet, not much but a some.

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

@tooninspain

yeah I thought it was just cramp or something :/ I take it he’ll be out for a while then 🙁
    our physios must be doing something wrong

• santonthenewmaldini

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Also Barcelona play 2 and 3 games in a week every week and still give performances players only get tired if you constantly say that they will be tired winning makes players forget about aches and pains!!

• yo-yo

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM

M’bengue and Haidara LB would free up Santon for Right Mid. That would be an appetising prospect

• tooninspain

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Leazes…..I would say the least he’ll be out is 2 weeks, and the worst case scenario would see him out for the rest of the season. Let’s just hope Haidara will be back.

• AS MAGS

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Sorry to keep banging on about it, but I need reassurance that cisse ain’t suspended. Not convinced yet

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:41 PM

@tooninspain

if haidara does come back for next weeke i’ll be happy cause hes a better defender than santon like

• yo-yo

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM

We’ve had some real bad reffing decisions recently with Wigan and now this too

• WWYCD

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Cisse isn’t suspended he’d need 10 yellows in order to be suspended he currently has 4

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Check
    Has someone hacked your account!!
    Completely agree with you mate and today for me jonas was MOTM hopefully his confidence is now sky high because having a player like jonas on that sort of form will be invaluable to us for buisness end of the season
    Last season benny came back to give us a huge push could jonas be our season saviour!!!!

• Edmond

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMEb7D02Hzc This is the wierdest video I have ever seen, give it a watch.. think pardrew has a stalker hahaha

• TorqToon

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Yo – That would just bore us though mate!! 🙂

The M’bengue talk is massive at the moment. Have heard whisperings from several pretty decent sources that we are seriously interested in him. And the same goes for Sakho. PSG are playing down all the talk, but the truth of the matter is that Sakho wants to leave.

And given that he speaks with Yanga and Gouff pretty much every week, can ONLY work in our favour. I heard a little piece of news about somebody (big name target) having a family member sat in our crowd today watching the game, and liasing with the club, but I’m still trying to find out more and confirm its accuracy.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:44 PM

manxpie…you cannot make that black and white my friend.

If you want to look at injuries and compare them then you have to take a look at the strength and size of the squad first. You also have to take a look at which players have you had injured , the time frame and the number of players. You even have to take into consideration whether or not you have adequate cover for that person.

Before I go on you can actually do some of the research yourself. Tads or Tequila did post a link some time ago where you can see the days of injuries each club have had, but remember it only tells you the days not anything regarding what I mentioned above.

If you want to have a discussion about this due tell we the next time we meet on the blog; it is a bit late now and since it might be a subject where we don’t agree 😉 then I think it deserves out full attention. Is that okay with you?

• WWYCD

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Torq
    One season wouldn’t be boring am sure Manc fans seem to enjoy it haha

Sounds pretty good to me I’d love Sakho tbh and M’bengue is meant to be good though I’ve never seen him play left footed though I believe. As for the big named target I don’t think Zlatan is all that interested in us 😉

I’d imagine there is plenty of talk going on in relation to targets being set up at least I hope there is in regards to us still reckon we need a good chunk of depth added into the squad

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Torq
    How are ya mate?
    Was asking the other night but do you remember us being linked with rodrigo? Was that ever genuine or just paper talk?

Jesper
    Please stop listing me in your posts like that, I’ve never posted a link up like that but find it hard to believe that last seasons injury list would mirror this seasons injuries

• WWYCD

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Torq
    On a side note glad to see u back posting mate…even if u are a itk begger haha

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM

tads…maybe it wasn’t you who posted the link sorry about that.

…no offense , but I don’t really care whether or not you think/believe we have had the same amount of injuries last season.

• Krul to be Kind

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM

shit, check out Jesper getting all adult @29!

Showing your age pal! haha

Would love to see Anita moved into either full back slot, too lightweight for DM, but too tidy a footballer to have sat on the bench.

• TorqToon

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM

TADS / Yo –

Its nice to know I’ve been missed! 🙂

I have been reading the blog regularly but Work has been manic of late so not been able to post very much. But things have calmed a little and its nice to be back and catching up with some old friends.

On Rodrigo, as far as I’m aware it’s purely fabrication by the media. Although as I’m only And ITK begger… There’s always a chance I simply didn’t hear the info! Ha

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Torq…good to see you back mate!

…sounds promising; keep us posted 🙂

• TorqToon

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Will do jesp. Hope you are well, sir.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Krul… 🙂

…I always show other people the same respect they show me (…just didn’t read everything manxpie wrote until now…maybe that would have changed my post a bit lol)

• WWYCD

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Torq
    Tbh reading rather than commenting is often far more attractive at times. Glad to hear works keeping u busy though bound to be a good thing

Haha well as the only itk begger I trust I expect u to keep this good info coming

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Jesper
    In that case, no offence obviously, but stop fcuking naming me in your arguement a with other posters if my opinion doesn’t matter

Torq
    Ah that’s a shame about rodrigo was hoping to see him in B&W!!!!
    Mind you it’s good to hear you’ve been busy, hopefully busy spreading the word of the mighty toon!!
    And tapping up players of course!