More Good News – Haidara Back For Benfica Game

We got a great win yesterday that left Newcastle to 13th place in the table – the highest we’ve been for several months, and now we hear that Ben Arfa is fit again and could even make the Sunderland game next Sunday – and now more good news that Massadio Haidara is fit again and could start the Benfica game on Thursday night.

We cannot take much more of this good news. 😀

haidara tackle

That ridiculous McManaman tackle on Massadio Haidara

It’s just over three weeks since Massadio was carried off on a stretcher,  after that terrible tackle from Callum McManaman at Wigan, which went completely unpunished.

And with Davide Santon being carried off yesterday with what looks like a hamstring injury – and maybe a bad one at that – Massadio could even get a late run in the Newcastle first team – and of course the lad has looked a very good player in the black and white stripes of Newcastle.

This is what Alan Pardew told the Shields Gazette today:

“Sadio trained on Monday,” “There’s a good chance he could be involved on Thursday if we think he’s OK.”

Massadio will get a great welcome back from Newcastle fans – if he can make the game on Thursday night.

Newcastle will have a tough task on Thursday night, after being beaten 3-1 in last week’s first leg at the Estadio da Luz – but we gifted them two second half goals.

Our best chance seems to be to win 2-0 – but the key is ensuring the don’t score, which will be difficult because then if they get a goal we’d need four goals to win the game and three goals to get to extra time.

And Benfica won again yesterday, winning 2-0 on the road at Olhanense,  for their 12th win in a row in all competitions.

And Ryan Taylor could even see some action in a few weeks, as he is recovering well from his serious ACL injury he picked up against Atromitos last August.

This is what Alan Pardew had to say about Ryan today:

“Ryan’s going to train on Monday, but he’s still two or three weeks away, we think,”

It will be good to get some of our players back for the last six league games of the season, and we may still be able to finish in 10th place (or higher), and we are only 3 points out of 10th placed Fulham – four points if you consider goal difference.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Keep the good news coming 🙂

• cyprus

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

4 more points and we are safe. Don’t agree with the 38 mark of ‘experts’.

• Rainrix

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

2nd?

Good to see him back so soon.

• JAMSHA

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM

4th 😉

• Markaccus

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM

@cyprus. I agree personally. I’d be happier if we got to 40 sooner rather than later. Can someone remind me of our run in?

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Cyrpus…Not really a believer in these magical numbers where we’re safe. Need to take one game at a time…still a few games to go.

Rainrix…Right then, let’s go through this one more time.

1….2…..3

Once you get that down, we’ll work towards number 10 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Jamsha has it worked out. Perhaps he could tutor you a bit?

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM

• Rainrix

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Ibiza…. 8th?

• Rainrix

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I dont get this counting malarky im just going to go back to pardew bashing, soo much simpler 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Rainrix…Well I can’t fault you for effort 🙂 Keep trying mate.

• Beattie25

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM

How many more points do you guys think we need to guarentee safety? I’m going for 7 minimum.

• 9

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM

After the January French Transfusion began to work, I had a look at the table and thought that 10th was really easily within our grasp. At the time Stoke were in prime position for that honour but, as it has since happened, they are dropping like a stone. Up til yesterday the unexpected Fulham revival seemed troublesome, so yesterday’s game was, for me, crucial. Now we’ve managed it, 10th it is, for me. When QPR go down I would like to strengthen our squad by signing 3, maybe 4, of their players who would certainly fill some important gaps (though I’m not yet aware of their contractual situation);
    Remy, for obvious reasons (no good cutting your nose off to spite your face just because he got a better offer – which will no longer be available)
    Hoillett – fancied him for us at the end of last season, again, his money may or may not be available but he can do the job that idiot Obertan can’t
    Taraabt – we need somebody when HBA is unavailable. He’s the man.
    Samba – also fancied him like mad last season and PLEASE let us have one more commanding CH

• VanToonMan

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Have you guys given up on the Europa? I still feel we have a good chance. Obviously 1-1 or 2-1 would have been a better position but I think we can win 2-0. We need to keep it tight but the key point is we HAVE to be clinical. We have not been clinical for a while and we have to be just that.

For example if Cisse had returned the pass to Marveaux in the first half to tap pretty much into an empty net then I would say we are being more clinical but at the moment we are relying on few very well made goals instead of clinically taking chances.

What are people’s thoughts on our Europa situation?

• Rainrix

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Ibiza…. 15th

• yo-yo

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

If Wigan win three out of their last seven they’ll be on 40 pts. So 41 pts ought to be the minimum to go for. If Slumberland win 3 of their last six they’ll be on 40 pts too so again 41. I think 42 pts might be the safety point – so we need another six to be sure.
    Wigan and Unwashed may well have a late boost and get those 9 pts.

• Assam Toon

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Pardew, cisse and the 51000 mad geordies have done a big favor to the club. Any player who saw the celebrations yesterday would wish he would someday score a crucial goal in SJP. Yesterday was an advertisement of what it means to support NUFC, something which opening of Manchester United cafés here in New Delhi, India CAN’T even fractionally accomplish.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM

VanToon…I’ve not given up at all. Just saying that if we were to go out, as long as we give it a go I’ll be happy enough.

2-0 at SJP is more than achievable – but it will likely be a tough game.

9….We certainly can get up there, but tbh I’m not really thinking too much about that or who we should be bringing in at the minute. Just need to take one game at a time then we can re-evaluate in the summer. This season has been a funny one across the board and everyone will need some time to reflect on what happened, where we are and where we want to go.

Beattie…No idea. Let’s say 18.

• Beattie25

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Europa league will be hard.

We need to give an almighty push to even compete in that game. I don’t think it is as important as the league.

I think in some quarters the win yesterday has made people relax a little too much. We still need to win this Sunday.

For me I’d go for it until half time and then reassess the situation. If we are out of the game then let ig go. If we are still in it go for it, but the worst thing that could happen is extra time.

Our players can hardly get through 90 minutes.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Rainirx…That post at 15 must be like winning a cup final 😉

• Markaccus

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Cheers ibiza. I think we’ll get maybe 7-8 points from those. If we play like we can.

• yo-yo

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I don’t think we’ll go for Samba as his wages would be top dollar for us.
    We’ll go for another French based CB to replace Colo, if he goes, which is pretty likely. Still think Pards is trying to get him to stay on behind the scenes. As he seems pretty good with the players one to one he might just pull it off.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Mark…I started to do the PL predictor table the other day, but gave up after our next 2 games as tbh who knows what the hell we’re going to do from game to game 🙂

All I’m thinking about for now is Benefica and then the scum, both home games. Then I think we’ll get a better picture of what could happen. If we do get through to the semi’s, what dates will they be? Just wondering which PL games they will be between.

• Beattie25

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Ibiza

You take that comedy answer back. I am deeply offended by your witty retort and razor sharp banter.

• TorqToon

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I’m buzzing for Europa! I honestly think we can get the 2-0 result needed to progress. Defensively, we are very sound, and ironing out the mistakes and errors is key. Yanga has been incredible since signing and is destined to be a big player for us.

If it doesn’t come off in Europe, I wilI be gutted, but the bigger picture is seeing Out this season, seeing off the makems and maintaining too flight football next season!

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Beattie… 🙂 As if you’re deeply offended. Behave. This season is mad in the bottom half of the table, I really have no idea what the points barrier will need to be. We just need to take it game by game imo.

Did you manage to enjoy the game yesterday? At least the final minute or two?

• Beattie25

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Where do people think we will finish next season?

• Rainrix

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Ibiza… Every little victory 🙂

• Williamsonsuks

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

QPR, Reading and the scum for me. The scum have changed their manager to late. Only 6 games left for a manager to get the team working under his new regime, with new coaches, back room staff, bye bye scum.
    Almost 5hit my pants when Williamson started warming up when Santon pulled his hammy.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Beattie…Top of the championship! Sorry, that razor sharp banter coming out again.

Rainrix…Little? Give yourself some credit – but tbf, not a lot 😉

• yo-yo

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Beattie

Win two draw one would be enough
    Win one draw three would be enough

Still think we will lose two but take points at WHU and/or WBA so need to win Unwashed plus either Fools or Gooners at home.

A run of good form would mean only lose one so all to play for.
    2-0 Thurs 🙂

• BandB

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I haven’t given up on the cup either. The last time is such a vague memory, and many people don’t even have that. I don’t want us to go down to humiliating, confidence- bashing surrender. I think it would be bad for the league campaign, as I think confidence is the key now. I don’t know whether this is just memory misleading me, but we seem to have caved in meekly to a good scudding less often this season than we did last. Fulham being a case in point.

• yo-yo

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Beattie

I had below 6th place this season as a failure, so writing off this season totally that is where we ought to be next year.
    Glass half full

• magpie6699

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM

No disrespect to Simmo who played his heart out but for attacking flair I’ll be a lot happier when Debuchy gets back. Any chance?
    PS Cisse’s booking – obviously it’s more terrible to celebrate a goal than threaten to end someone’s career with a reckless crippling tackle!

• Beattie25

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I have an unwanted reputation as a man who hates football but I always enjoy our games.

Not the results, not the footballing style and not the uneasy feeling I get that we are the most cursed club in history but the love of the club is there in my heart so I enjoy the game.

For me it’s like seeing a man you hate marry your sister. You’re never going to improve and at times during the wedding you’re going to think about beating the guy up, but get pi55ed and remember how much you love your family and you’ll enjoy it.

Secretly though I will still be encouraging a divorce.

• Rainrix

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Sunderland have stoke southampton and villa left. As much as i’d chuckle if they went down i see them getting at least some points. Wigan on the other hand have some tough ones left. Unless they pull off something reminiscent of last season i dont see them staying up.

• 9

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Beattie @ 27: that’s a crazy question. Nobody (and I do mean nobody) predicted we would finish 5th before last season. Once we did finish 5th, nobody predicted we would flirt with relegation this season. We don’t know who will join or leave our squad before next season, so the question is just insane at this point in time, mate.

• Beattie25

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM

* approve

• Beattie25

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I was joking about next season yer know?

• yo-yo

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Beattie

So not as bad as seeing a man you hate shagging your ex wife then ?