Newcastle Not Safe Yet – But Glory Still Possible

Sylvain Marveaux has had a very good second season at Newcastle, after getting over a number of injuries which lasted on and off from October  of 2010 through last summer.

sylvain marveaux in action against Bolton

Sylvain Marveaux – in action on Sunday

And Sylvain had another excellent game on Sunday, and was our Man of the Match for yesterday’s vital 1-0 win against Fulham, with 40% of the vote.

The great win yesterday sets the scene for Newcastle’s next two very important games against Benfica on Thursday night, and then local rivals Sunderland on Sunday – with both games taking place in a sold-out St. James’ Park.

And although we are now 5 points above the relegation zone, probably six points if you take into account goal difference, but as Alan Pardew said yesterday – we are not safe yet.

And Sylvain reiterated that in the Daily Mirror tonight:

“I don’t think we’re safe, and we need to get a few more points if we’re to end the season without any pressure on us.” “It’s a must-not-lose game against Sunderland, but before that, we have two goals to score to make up the gap against Benfica.

“Realistically, we know we can’t concede any at the other end on Thursday. There are a few tired legs among the group, but we just have to prepare for Benfica and try to get an early goal to put them under pressure.”

“We’d like to score earlier in games, and we’ll be going all out for an early goal.” “But we know how good Benfica are, and we’ll have to make sure to stay solid against them, because they have goals in their team.”

Newcastle have won all of their last four home games – against Southampton Stoke, Anzhi Makhachkala and Fulham, and in fact Newcastle are unbeaten at home in six games since the 2-1 defeat against Reading – which was the lowest point of the season for Newcastle.

It’s just as well Newcastle are doing well at home, since we have only one win on the road in the league this season – at Aston Villa in late January.

Now Newcastle will tackle Benfica on Thursday night and anything can happen at St. James; Park, as we saw yesterday,  but whatever happens on Thursday night, we must beat Sunderland on Sunday, and if we can do that we are probably safe from relegation with 39 points and 8 points above Sunderland.

And of course there’s the chance – a slim chance for sure – of getting through to the final four of the Europa League, and that would be absolutely terrific, and it seems dependent ton Newcastle shutting out Benfica, and win the game 2-0 or more – and that would see us through.

And if we can do that on Thursday night then who knows – we could even win something this season – for the first time in 44 years.

And also stay in the Premier League at the same time. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Bring us glory Marveux!

• yo-yo

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Doumbia for me 🙂

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I’m worried about all of the tired legs like :/ I think we must decide do we want to go for it against benfica or sunderland, realistically don’t think we can go with both, and as marveaux even said himself, their are some tired legs now.

But you never know we could do both of them over!!!

• yo-yo

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Marv and Yo were totally unwound on 90 mins on Sunday. They’ll be okay by Thurs

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:49 PM

I would try to get us at least two players for 15 m £.
    K.Volland 5-8 m £.
    Boudebouz 3,5 m £
    Diame 3,5 m £

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I know it became three.

• t00ntime

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Someone last post was talking about carroll money so (repost) :

the ‘carrol money’ arguement is the dumbest argument against MA ever.
    1) Agent fees
    2) transfer fee
    3) Training ground heating etc
    4) wages

1) No player is free you always pay agent fees. in 2012 we spent around 3.500.000 on agents.

2) Transfer fees:
    Cabaye: 4.400.000
    Sissoko: 2.200.000
    Mbiwa: 7.000.000
    Haidara: 2.200.000
    Gouffran: 1.700.000
    Debuchy: 5.400.000
    Mbabu: 880.000
    Anita: 7.400.000
    Good: 453.000
    Bigirimana: 1.100.000
    Cisse: 10.500.000
    santon: 4.900.000
    obertan+elliot : 3.000.000

total: 51.3 million

Out:
    Carroll: 35.000.000
    Nolan: 3.000.000
    Enrique: 7.000.000
    Routledge+lualua: 4.000.000
    best+Forster: 5.000.000

total 54mil.

54-51.3= 2.7mil

3) training ground, AP said some of the money went towards sorting the training ground out (with heating etc) dont know how much that was so we will skip for now.

4) DL said that when we offer a player a contract we put away the wages for the length of his contract. (that way you dont offer too much wages etc). again we dont know about the contracts+this money hasnt actually left the club so we will skip that.

So carroll money is
    3.5mil – 2.7mil = -0.8mil

have fun theoretically spending the -0.8mil

• santonthenewmaldini

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Go all out for the win on Thursday then set us up for Sunday the crowd will give you the energy you need!!

Have almost a full week off before we play West Brom so we can give players a couple of days off and if we beat Sunderland we are pretty much safe so we can give some players a rest for a game or 2

• t00ntime

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM

should be 2.7-3.5= -0.8 at the end lol whoops 😛

• pawl250

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Carroll would be a perfect signing for the formation/style we play. If Ameobi was more effective, in terms of quality he would arguably be first choice.

It is clear when Shola comes on the ball (sometimes, not always) gets held up and players behind the lone striker are brought into play allowing the overlap.

Carroll would be 10x more effective than Shola and Cisse, he would be the perfect lone striker with creative/pacey players behind him.

I hope we do sign him, I would not bid anymore than 11m if I am being honest. As for West Ham I think they will attempt to buy him, but Carroll will most likely turn it down if he had an oppurtunity to return home.

As for summer, we have to make sure we stay in the PL first. I think we will see 4-5 out during the window, and 3-4 come in.

Fact is this season we have had a horrendous injury list, its starting to look as though its more incompetence behind the scenes than freak incidents now.

As for Sunderland and Benfica I would take a 2-0 win against Benfica and a 1-1 draw against Mackems now. I think they would be happy with that too!

EL is our only chance to win something, arguably are final chance in Europe for a few more seasons. Can you tell me all the injuries, poor league form and attention has been for nothing.

Lets go for it, I would be content saying we lost but gave it a real good go. I dont want to see us defend for 60-70 minutes when we need 2 goals AND an unlikely clean sheet. BUT I have faith in Yanga, I think he is the vital link in our defence this Thursday. AND Sunday for that matter.

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Leeb
    I’m sorry wasn’t aware you know me
    Very good grounds btw if you don’t believe then don’t but who the fcuk are you to tell me what im talking
    Also how do you know who Ashley’s keen on and how much he’s willing to pay for players? And a loan when have we loaned in anyone apart from Ireland?? Are you talking shite?

Yo yo
    For £15 mil? PEA Remy Benteke rodrigo Ben yedder gamiero tbh could name players all day

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM

If Simpson, Colo, Tiote leaves then I would look in to adding more defenders. And if we have bigger transfer kitty I would choose others that would cost from 8 – 15 m £.

• santonthenewmaldini

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM

@Toontime

Yeah it was me when its not going well or during a transfer window you get the idiots on the blog cause its the school holidays saying Ashley sells all of our assets and also pockets the Carroll money none of which are true of course but it makes them feel better

• Alan Pas-de-clue

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:58 PM

we played better as a team when ameobi came on against fulham as we had a hold up player a focal point. heck capello tried using heskey to get the best out of england. carroll is arguably ideal for us since we cant get anybody of the calibre of say llorente,

• t00ntime

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:59 PM

@santon lol MA has done some bad things, you would think if they wanted us to want to get rid of MA they would point out one of the other many things. Like renaming SJP for instance (even though that came good thanks to wonga)

• pawl250

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:59 PM

t00ntime

35m of Andy Carroll money was used to offset the loss the club made when relegated the season before. We made a 30m loss in the Championship season, our buys have been not from Carroll but until recently players sold.

I.e Enrique 6-7m out – Santon 5m in
    Nolan 4-5m out – Cabaye 4-5m in
    Ba 7m out – Debuchy/Sissoko 7m in
    Best 4m out – Anita 7m in

You get my point we have spent very little. The only player we have spent money on really is Mbiwa and arguably Haidara. Even then we do not know the extent of the Wonga deal.

Cisse was purchased with Virgin sponsorship money.

We have spent very little, infact we have done very well to end up with the team we have, given what we have spent.

BUT I can promise you 100%, I am an accountant … boring I know but hey good money…. that Newcastle offset the Carroll money against previous year losses. I know someone who did the audit, or someone who knows someone who did the audit to be more precise.

I know STaylor gets a 500k loyalty bonus should he stay at Newcastle each year, I know Jonas and Colo went down to 30k a week during Championship season, I know Xisco refused to take a wage cut at that point and was our highest paid player that season on 55k a week.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:02 AM

0.8 m £ left looks like it’s going to be even worse summer than last year.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:04 AM

FOOOOOOOOOOOOKING XISCO let’s buy Isco.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:06 AM

pawl250
    Do you know how much extra the new deal will get us next season?

• pawl250

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Andy Carroll money was NOT used to buy players…… fact.

This -0.8m is really just a guess, and well its wrong.

Believe me or not, it is.Your choice.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM

It seems to be £14m at least per year. Adding 0.8 m £ and we av more or less 15 m £.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Oops I didn’t see the – sign.

• pawl250

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Sazzer

That will be in the June 2013 accounts.

Newcastles year end is 1st July – 30th June every year, because Wonga took over in this season, I have no idea what the deal was and may not know as the person I know, who knows the person in question has now moved country so will not be on this years accounts.

I dont know everything, I have very limited information only small drips and drabs. It tends to be the more controversial aspects I found out about.

I knew about Ba’s release clause, especially when everyone said it had an expiry date, but I was hardly going to advertise that. Ba took 2.2m which out of the 7m transfer fee.

I also know Alan Pardew gets a percentage of players sales, and he refused to take the money he was due from the Carroll sale. He wanted it invested in new players.

• Ketsbaia9

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM

We need to sign Remy, Benteke, Boudebouz/Belhanda, Alderweireld and Douglas. Bafetimbi Gomis is also available for free.

• t00ntime

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM

@pawl1250 fair enough. If the carroll money was getting rid of the loss we made, its still gone which was my orginal point :P. I guess you just further proved that the argument of “we have loads of money left from AC” is just dumb.

• t00ntime

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:20 AM

pawl is right that -0.8mil was just for if the carroll money went on nothing but transfers. which like he has said isnt true. I was just proving that we have spent about as much on incomings as outgoings over the last 2 years (including carroll).

• pawl250

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I want Douglas (FREE), Belhanda (9-10m), Carroll (9-10m) and a young right back (2m) in the mold of Haidara.

I would be happy to see the back end of (and we would hardly even notice they were gone)

Harper – retiring
    Simpson – FREE
    Gosling – 1m
    RTaylor – 1m
    Obertan – 1m

That is a whopping net spend of £18-20m. I know alot, but it improves the squad and arguably can be offset against 1. company supposed profits, surely have to be up losing likes of Smith, Xisco off the books. AND Wonga deal (supposedly biggest deal the club has ever had) AND ….. PL TV money next year, we will receive more than we ever have for that.

I think 20m in retrospect for 4 players, arguably as good if not better than we already have will only add to the team, with only Simpson really featuring in my OUT list.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I didn’t mean the Wonga deal, but the Sky deal for TV next season giving all the clubs more money. I read in article that it would be 14 m £ at least more per year for bottom clubs.

Also I think the stadium deal went from 1 m £ to 10 m £.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Anyhow, it seems that it might be some legit in the 3 more purples or the 10 players including this January additions.

• pawl250

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Yea well considering we posted a profit (very small profit was reported) in June 2012, less than a year ago we can assume any players out and sponsorship money was used up.

This would mean this year. Roughly

OUT –

Sissoko – 2m
    Mbiwa – 7m
    Mbabu – 1m
    Haidara – 2m
    Gouffran – 2m
    27M

So 16m has been spent we did not effectivley have, offset the proft (4m was it?) thats 12m. You then take into account we have reduced wages, a new sponsorship deal with Wonga, Europa League prize money (very little but it adds up) ticket sales, merchandise (new signings) and tv revenue we have probably made the majority of the 12m up, but I think we will be close to breaking even, perhaps even a small profit should the Wonga deal be as lucrative as DL has suggested in interviews.

Its only a inkling, you have to take into account agent fees, and overheads. It does all add up.

I think you will find that in the future we will look to sell before we buy like in previous seasons. Yet we will have money to play around with.

REMEMBER the club owes MA money, this TV deal in the new PL may just go towards paying him some of this money back. It will then make the club look alot healthier should he want to pursue selling the club.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Time to go to sleep. Nice talk!

• pawl250

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Sazzer, from what I read the new TV deal will give the team that finished 17th this season MORE than the team that finished 1st last season.

Everyone gets the same amount from Sky, to “level” out the playing field.

Of course likes of Man Utd have already shown yesterday with naming rights to a TRAINING GROUND! that these new rules are now “level” playing fields, and can be manipulated.

BUT you are right the revenue should increase from Sky deal alone, we could arguably afford 20m, over the next 3 years am sure it was 200m would be given to each PL club in the attempt to reduce and remove debt ready for the new financial fair play rules, that arent actually fair unless you are 6-7th or below. I mean City, United and Chelsea will conjur money from massive fan bases (Utd/Liverpool), or billionaire advertising deals (City/Chelsea). Arsenal have this money to play with because they are one of the few clubs that year on year post profits.

Quite an achievement by Wenger to compete with the big boys,with unlimited transfer kitty compared to his profit making club.

• Brutooon

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:41 AM

1) we will avoid relegation

2) out of the Europa League

• t00ntime

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:42 AM

@pawl the sell 1 to buy, seems fair enough but it all depends on who we sell, looking at them team now I would say the 3 players to build a team around are Cabaye, Sissoko and HBA. If one of those go I think we’re in trouble. (also krul leaving would be hard to replace, so he would be my 4th) but for intance selling tiote and bring in a CDM of same quality/younger for cheaper seems like the way to go.

As for summer transfers I would like remy (cheap) / Aub (probably to dear but still quality) as a purple ST.

and if a back up is needed, Lens (PSV) (wants to play in BPL+cheap, plays LW/RW/ST/CF)

• pawl250

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I hope we stay in EL, I really do.

I estimate 36 points will go down, Wigan, Sunderland, Stoke, Norwich and Villa are the possible candidates with QPR and Reading gone.

We have 36 points, but we have an extra point due to goal difference, with only Sunderland Stoke better in the teams listed.

• t00ntime

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM

1) we will avouid relegation

2) we’re gonna destroy benfica like we should of in the 1st game

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:45 AM

We will see what happens. With new tv deal investing more to finishing higher thus getting a higher reward might make Ashley risk little more.

• Bowzer912

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:51 AM

In:
    Alderweireld-8m
    Dani Carvajal-7m (unrealistic but hopeful)
    Tom Ince-6m
    PEA-10m
    And some purples like Bigirimana and youngsters like Mbabu.

Out:
    Colo-7m (inevitable)
    Willo-2m
    Gosling-3m
    Simpson-2m
    Obertan-3m
    Getting rid of these players and reinforcing them with better ones can help us become a serious top 6 team.
    HWTL

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Porto is the best team when it comes to profit and winning titles. Udinese, Ajax, Arsenal are other that buy cheap and sell high.

We are moving in that healthy club direction.

• pawl250

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:53 AM

toontime –

Its tough to say how much is available due to little known about the Wonga deal. Taken into account its the best in the clubs history, it must be good.

Take into account we have roughly balanced our books anyway the argument is the new Sky tv deal money is available to use, it depends if MA pockets it.

I agree Sissoko, Cabaye, Krul are for me the players to build around. I would even go as far as saying Mbiwa is now an important link in that chain.

————- Krul ————-
    ? —– Mbiwa — ? ——— ?
    ——-Sissoko – Cabaye —–
    Arfa ——— ? ———— ?
    —————-? —————

That is our spine, our key players. We have important players like Cisse, Debuchy, STaylor but the above are key players.

I am not so sure about Ben Arfa, he is magic but too injury prone, needless to say he is good enough to be classed as a key player.

Still thats that team spine. Now to build a team around it.

——————— KRUL ——————–
    Debuchy — MBIWA – Coloccini — Haidara
    ———— SISSOKO – CABAYE ———–
    BEN ARFA —– Belhanda —— Marveaux
    ——————— Carroll ——————–

That would be my team, personally for next season. Or thats what I would try and attempt to build.