The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Frenchman Has Become Some Player At Newcastle

12:37 am, Monday, April 8th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 17 Comments

It was a great win yesterday afternoon against Fulham, as Newcastle got all three points with a wonderful individual goal from Senegal striker Papiss Cisse in stoppage time, but it was another player who is leading in our Man of the Match poll.

sylvain marveaux in action against Bolton

Sylvain Marveaux – in action yesterday

Sylvain Marveaux has made a great comeback this season for Newcastle, after his first full season on Tyneside was ruined by injuries, but this season Sylvain  has looked an excellent player for Newcastle, and yesterday was no exception.

Sylvain is leading our poll with 30% of the vote followed by a rejuvenated Jonas Gutierrez at 21%,  and followed by the goalscorer Papiss Cisse – who scored his fourth stoppage time goal for Newcastle yesterday and gained us an extra valuable two points – and he’s on 19% of the vote.

The poll is still open if you haven’t yet voted.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Fulham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Sylvain Marveaux

17 responses so far ↓

• 1 RonVanDam // Apr 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Injuries create opportunities for those who take it and looks like Marv is making his claim in Ben Arfa’s absence.

• 2 RonVanDam // Apr 8, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Has anyone seen this? Papiss and Sissoko celebrating with the fans

• 3 Jackel001 // Apr 8, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Fantastic result yesterday, don’t think I’ve ever felt more relieved to get a goal since last season against the scum!

Jonas played out of his skin today, I know he’s got himself a personal trainer long with the team training so its obviously working.

Just seen a comment about offloading Ryan Taylor, yes he hasn’t had the best of seasons due to injury but he loves the club and when he does play he puts everything out there, first team no but defo a squad player!

Oh

• 4 beefman13 // Apr 8, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Was it tense? just a bit? anxiety? stress? Three points in the bag is all what the records will show, that is what is needed more than anything else especially in the position we have found ourselves, on the game, a poor first half to say the least with neither goalie making a save of note, it was clear to see how we were not performing as a team, just individuals, and second half was better we did pick it up, we needed to, we had to, more risks were taking Marv with some clever runs probing the edge of the box even Jonas getting down the line a few times and to be fair had a decent second half, no one stood out first half in all honesty, Cisse again in the right place at the right time and a very good goal that sent us all hysterical, and to add a lovely moment with cisse in the crowd and AP loosing his mind for a minute, but we all loved that! Now its on to next week and the bigun, and you have to say there is more pressure on the mackems, who played canny against Chelsea and will have another week with benito under their belts to fire them up, it looks a draw all day to me, I like all of us cant wait.

• 5 Jackel001 // Apr 8, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Oh and can people stop wanting alderweireld, he’s came out and said and I quote ” i don’t want to join a middle of the table team like NUFC, Liverpool fit my criteria”

Remy has to be an option when QPR go down! Him, PEA or Gamerio one of those and i’ll be a happy Geordie!!

• 6 beefman13 // Apr 8, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Ron, I love to see those type of celebrations, its real passion, im not AP`s biggest fan but that was great today, and cisse and sissoko as well, it made for a great ending to the game to say the very least.

• 7 RonVanDam // Apr 8, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Imagine if this was the last game of the season and our survival depended on it. Last kick of the game and Cisse scores. That wouldve been as good a winning a trophy. I still cant get over todays game

Did anyone see barbetov smiling when Cisse scored?

• 8 lesh // Apr 8, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Really pleased for Marveaux, he deserves the praise as he’s just quietly got on with things, despite his injuries and lack of opportunities. Now he’s getting them, he’s showing just how lucky we were to nick him from the bindippers after their medics weren’t convinced about his fitness. Their loss, our gain.

Now as far as Alderweireld’s concerned, then he can join the bindippers if he feels they’re better suited to his needs. We’ll see eh!

• 9 Sav // Apr 8, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I’d like to hear what is our injury situation for Thursday.cab limped off at the end and Marv was cramped up. And Santon looks a gonner, how long before Haidara is back. Great LB display from Guti who gets MOM for me for the 2nd game running. How many here have said he’s finished and should be dropped? Those who keep voting Santon MOM in these polls should look at Guti’s display and raise their standards of what a good LB can do.

• 10 JackButler // Apr 8, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Marv is looking like the player we all hoped he was, injuries have held him back for so long I think he’s loving the just being able to play again. HBA on the right, marv in the middle and Gouffran on the left with cisse through the center next season and Cabaye and Sissoko sitting in behind

• 11 tweaked // Apr 8, 2013 at 6:46 AM

@jack, oh yeah def cant wait to see that lineup, think with a couple of quality signings in the summer we might just have a champ;ions league squad on our hands

• 12 samaras // Apr 8, 2013 at 6:58 AM

He is always been this good, just had a long term injury first season, then minor ones the next, I looked with awe when people said he must b offloaded. Alomost signed for Liverpool for god sake. The horrendous injuries ar forcing Pardew to play him, mos def should b in our strong starting 11.

• 13 Scottiedog // Apr 8, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Time to swap Guti & Santon around. Guti can make LB his for the next two years and Santon is more of a Bale type who just wants to attack,

• 14 I I I // Apr 8, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I’ll tell you which Frenchman has impressed me most. Yanga-Mbiwa. His reading of the game, his composure, his positioning, his pace and his yet to speak English impresses me most. I look forward to a settled back-line next season, A seasoned replacement for Colo if he does go, a and we should hold on to Simpson. Through the park is where i think we’ve battled, very little linking between midfield and forward – If Gouffran, Ben Arfa, & Marveux were all fit, I’d be interested to see how that worked out. A win was massive yesterday squeezed between two Benifica games but we should have been 2 up, could have been 2 down. That either/or, doesn’t reflect the talent in the team and doesn’t say we’re a potential top 6 team. 2 Nil to the lads against Benifica at home and beating the Scum. HTL

• 15 FrankfurtMag // Apr 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM

The player that impressed me most, and who gets my vote, is MYM. Nothing got past him yesterday and he has been solid since he first started with the team.

Agreed with most that Marv had his best game for us but Mbiwa edges it for me just because he was consistently solid throughout the whole game.

• 16 Byker Boy // Apr 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Marveux was magnificent!

• 17 rwpoynter // Apr 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM

From what i saw on MOTD last night, Sylvain Marveaux was really good. I hope that the players( and I am sure they do) look at this blog. Some seem to be not great favourites, but this week it was good to see Marveaux and Gutierres and Simpson,high up in the poll. It will do wonders for their confidence. It has long perplexed me why Pardew has played Obertan ahead of Marveaux, but I don’t see as much of them as he does. I always felt Cisse would come good once Demba Ba left and he only needs a couple of goals to overtake him for the club. 40 years ago I used to watch Denis Law (Man Utd) and Jimmy Greaves(Spurs) who would be totally anonymous in a game for 85 minutes time and time again and would turn in on in the remaining 5 minutes. Cisse seems to be one of these characters. To me he is magic and can lift one out of nowhere when it counts.
    As for Thursday, we need to throw caution to the wind and come out with a highly attacking side from the first minute. Whether we win 1-0 or lose 5-0 is really of no consequence whatsoever. Saturday should have given us confidence. This side despite its injuries should be able to beat Benfica and certainly should be able to thump Sunderland on Sunday. If they can then it is game over as far as the relegation issue is concerned which certainly where talent is concerned should never have been an issue anyway long ago. A good run in now and we can advance in the Europa League and take 10th in the Premier. It is clearly possible.

previous post: Pardew – The Win Was Very Very Important For This Football Club