Newcastle Will Mount Top Six Challenge Next Season

We aren’t the only ones who are thinking if only we can stay in the Premier League this season, then next season looks like we could back in the top six, and we could have one of the strongest squads we;ve had for many a season.

Mamadou Sakho in French coloras

Mamadou Sakho – would be great signing for Magpies

With the five new Frenchmen having arrived in January, and already settling in well, we should have a terrific squad come the close season – always assuming we can keep our best players over the summer.

And there could be a clear-out at Newcastle of fringe players and also Fabricio Coloccini could leave, since he wants to return to Argentina to be with his family.

Danny Simpson will be leaving when his contract runs out in June, but we seem to be well off for good full-backs with Mathieu Debuchy, Davide Santon, Massadio Haidara and Ryan Taylor, who will be back form his ACL injury.

And Vurnon Anita and Jonas Gutierrez can also play full-back, so we don’t need any new full-backs this summer.

Mike Williamson will likely leave to join Swansea in the summer, as a replacement for Ashley Williams who is being courted by some big clubs, and we think Newcastle will need t bring in a couple of center-backs, and we hope we can get PSG’s Mamadou Sakho, who would be a great signing for us.

And of course we need a top striker to replace the departed Demba Ba, and St. Etienne’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang seems to be our top target, but as we reported earlier today, Arsenal and Inter-Milan at least – are also interested in the 23 year-old.

We also expect Dan Gosling and Gabby Obertan to be sold this summer, since they just haven’t made a big enough impact on Tyneside, and veteran goalkeeper Steve Harper will leave the club this summer, when his current contract runs out, after 20 years at Newcastle.

Newcastle will also bring in some top youngsters,  but it seems  the club will be after three “purples” – who are first team starters at Newcastle.

If we can get those three top players in over the summer, there seems no reason why we cannot challenge for a high position in the Premier League next season .- and be in Europe again the next season.

But first of all we have to ensure we’re in England’s top league next season and that isn’t certain yet, although the win against Fulham has certainly helped.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• TorqToon

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Swiller – wouldn’t read too much into that. Bony wants to play through the middle wherever he goes, if he goes. So pretty much rules out Chelsea who have Torres, Ba and Lukaku (when back) who all want that role.

• TorqToon

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM

This Sakho talk simply won’t go away will it??!! 😉

Probably all those phone calls to Gouffran, Marv and Yanga!!! 🙂

• magicbus

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Lets hope the powers that be have learned their lesson from last summers transfer dealings or lack of them.

• Beattie25

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM

If we signed Sakho I would literally spontaneously combust.

The lad isn’t even that good, yet.

But him and M’bwia at the back would be the most modern, beautiful and brilliant pairing in the Premiership I think.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Torq,

You think Lukaku would stay and play 3rd fiddle or even 2nd there? Also, I can still see Falcao arriving with Courtois or Torres going the other way. To be honest, with Chelsea it will depend who comes in, I can honestly see Ba dropping out of the picture their if they did bring a striker in. Chelsea fans I know would be happy to move Ba on in the summer and keep Torres and a new striker.

Lukaku would be my number one choice for a central striker, but not a cat in hells chance, unless it is a loan deal.

• WWYCD

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Ed I think ur expected a whole lot of players to be leaving which is a little ambitious plus we like to replace players around 6 months after they leave so I wouldn’t be looking forward to so many in the out section

• TorqToon

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Beattie – He is quite good mate!!! But I see what you mean…plenty of time to get EVEN better!!

Second best defender France have imo – second only to Raphael Varane.

Also… I will get the extinguisher to hand. 😉

• Jayden

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM

RE Sissoko and the team spirit article.. That’s one thing you can’t deny that Pardew’s done well; installing a team spirit into this club. Taylor’s said it before, and now Moussa again.

• WWYCD

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM

And Williamson to Swansea? Howay

• spitfire_

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Yeah yeah top 6… Pardeaux talk about CL for this season… and we got it… almost.

• Robby Bobson

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Mike williamson to swansea?! Thats the last team for him.

Dont like slating him too much because hes always solid enough, but in possession he is a hoofer. So much noticeable when we have taylor mapou and colo who are all comfortable with carrying the ball out.

Should go stoke not swansea!

• Beattie25

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Torq

That’s what #i mean, everyone talks about how good he is but he hasn’t even reached half his potential yet.

I really think PSG isn’t the place to fulfill his potential and hope he would let his love for the club go to better his football and not his wages.

This club could be the place for him. He’d quickly become ‘the man’ the fans would adore him and he would certainly bloom next to M’bwia.

I think if we had those 2 as CB’s we’d be so hard to play against.

Fast, strong and passionate. The future CB of the national team IMO.

• Alan Pas-de-clue

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM

if we get 3 purples in its got to be a striker a winger and a cb.

could do with young players for cam (unless bringing inman through) cb, wing and gk.

would help us massively if youngsters step up

we will need good cup runs next season to keep our growing squad of players happy (assuming we dont have same injury curse)

hopefully they can look behind scenes to see if there is underlying reason for all these injuries

• yo-yo

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Sakho and PEA would be an unbelievable window.
    Hope we don’t waste £10m on AC. Would prefer Remy.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM

WWYCD,

Yeah, of all the average premiership centre halves Swansea pick the one who is least suited to their style of play….. No chance Williamson will go there

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Krul~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Debuchy~~~Sakho~~~~~~Mbiwa~~~Haidara~
    ~~~~~~~~~~Sissoko~~~~~~~~~Cabaye~~~~~~~
    ~Arfa~~~~~~~~~~~~Marveux~~~~~~~~Goofy~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Cisse~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If we did sign Sakho, we would just need a french keeper and a french forward/LW (put goofy cf)

• Markaccus

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Lukaku in a toon shirt…. love that idea. We can hope! We do need some heading ability up front. Whether its carroll or someone else we need to start getting more goals from set pieces. A big man gives you a long ball option but you dont have to use it every time.

• Beattie25

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I think Williamson will end up at a newly relegated championship team like Reading or QPR.

Bless him. Always gave 100% but simply not good enough for most of us.

• Slank

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Robby Bobson @ 11

I agree that the last defender Swansea, who play football from the back, want is hoof ball Williamson who is like a rabbit in the headlights when he has the ball.

Stoke is probably the ideal team for him.

• TorqToon

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Beattie – Completely agree. The psg of old was good for him, but this new super rich side, simply isn’t. I’ve been lucky enough to meet the player a few times and he is extremely grounded, driven and loyal. Loyal to his nationality and club. He would be perfect fit and upgrade on Colo. I love Taylor, nobody has more passion than him, but it would be an upgrade on him also. EVEN before we look at tayls injury record.

As I say, he enjoys watching Newcastle, the direction we have gone and speaks to several of our lads regularly.

Watch this space…

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Lukaku would be a very nice acquisition for the team. Would love it if he came to the toon.

As for Carroll. No.

• Beattie25

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I’d take Remy and Taarabt from QPR, a CB like Sakho and an AM like Siem De Jong.

That would be about £25 million for 4 excellent players.

I’d also take Will Hughes of Derby Count, Sam Byram of Leeds Utd and Nathan Redmond of Birmingham.

Sorted for the next 4-5 years..

• WWYCD

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:00 AM

LG
    Williamson would fit into the Swansea style I could see him at West Ham if Tomkins moves (possibly to us),West Brom or a newly promoted team

Beattie
    I agree with that though I reckon he can do a job in the top flight

• Beattie25

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Torq

If this happens I will get your name tattooed over my heart as a sign of never ending love and loyalty.

• Blaydon-Toon

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM

BENTEKE is a better version of AC but what would their prices be ? Would take AC back for no more than 8 million but would pay 12-15 for Benteke who all round has a better game ….

• WWYCD

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Beattie
    Taarabt? He’s a passenger and a child wouldn’t touch him personally

• Slank

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I would think that Sakho would want to start everygame as it is a comedown from PSG to join Newcastle.

So it’s either Saylor or Mbiwa to make way. I would be dissapointed for Saylor as I think he is a lion in the team.

• Beattie25

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM

WWYCD

So do I. I’ve been a harsh critic but he is a decent player.

Put him at Wigan, Fulham or even Villa and he’d be good.

He just can’t take the pressure of 52 000 groans IMO. That’s one of our biggest flaws as a fan base. If we don’t take to a player they don’t stand a chance.

There is only really Perch that has booked that trend recently, and Obertan of course.

• TorqToon

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Beattie – That’s dream territory there mate! 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Beattie, I’m not sure you would get those for for 25million, you are probably talking 20 just for De Jong and Sakho, not to mention Remy release clause at 8million.

As for the youngsters, would definitely have Hughes and Redmond, don’t know the lad from Leeds, but would consider Sheff Utds young keeper, and Maguire their centre back.

• TorqToon

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Beattie – I will hold you to that!! Haha

• Beattie25

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM

WWYCD

He is but I am of the opinion that Tarrabt would be better in a team like ours. He has undoubted potential but look at what Pardew did to Benny with his tracking back and battling away. (Oh my God I just praised Pardew).

I am also of the opinion that Tarrabt would be about £3-5 million if they go down so that was another factor.

If we weren’t talking money he’d be 121st on my list.

• WWYCD

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Beattie
    Completely agree mate, forgot about Fulham tbh their big CB is off at the end of the season isn’t he I would be too shocked same with Simmo going there

Aye we are a judgemental fan base at times

• Beattie25

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Lilonngwe

£8 million? Holy mother of Redknapp. I thought he’d be on a free, ha ha.

Anyway those 2 players you’ve mentioned are good shouts.

We could fill our reserve team with quality young English players and have a backbone of English talent that can take over the team in 4-5 years.

• Slank

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM

WWYCD,

Agree that Taarabt doesn’t have the character required for Newcastle. Too much of a passenger.

Against Wigan I was very impressed with Andros Townsend. He looked like a really good and tricky player who I believe is on loan from Spurs.

• WWYCD

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Beattie
    Fair one lad money wise he’d be an option but I still wouldn’t be too happy if we signed him am sure Carr could find someone with more about him and stable for the same price who knows maybe Romain will come through next season (though I wouldn’t bet on it atm)

• Beattie25

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM

WWYCD

I’d love Sakho as our new CB but I think we’ll take Hangelaand on a free.

Got a feeling in my intestines.

• Beattie25

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Why are we talking about Summer signings when we are going down!

Abandon ship!!1

• walton1984

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Hangelaand has just signed a new contract!!!!

• Slank

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Beattie25 @ 37

‘Got a feeling in my intestines’

It’s the curry.