Pardew – We Must Be Patient – It Could Be A Marvelous Week

History is against Newcastle United when we take on Benfica on Thursday night at St. James’ Park,  and not many sides can come back from a two goal  deficit from the first leg of a Europa League tie, and get through to the next round.

pardew great shot

Great shot of Newcastle manager Alan Pardew

And the Newcastle manager has been made aware of the stats, and had this to say in the local papers today:

“It’s only been done twice, I’m told.” “Steaua Bucharest and Fulham, ironically. We’ll see what we can do.”

And Alan is again warning the Newcastle fans that we cannot go gung-ho against a side as good as Benfica.

This is what Alan said about the important upcoming game against the Portuguese league leaders:

“Our fans need to understand on Thursday, in the quarter-final of the Europa League, that if we go gung-ho looking for two quick goals, we’re just going to get killed.”

“They’ve got real quality on the break.” “We’ve got to be very intelligent and we’ve got to be patient.” “We know what we’re like at the end of games.” “We just need to get ourselves in a good position.

“If we can get a goal with 20 minutes to go, we can do it – that’s the agenda for me.” “Sunday takes care of itself. We know what it’s about.” “I’d rather not have the game this week.”

“But then would I rather have the quarter-final of the Europa League? Yes, I would.”“We could have a marvelous week.”

Patience will be the key, and Papiss Cisse has said today Newcastle will be going all out for an early goal, but if the score is 0-0 after say 75 minutes, we still have a good chance.

And two goals in those last 15 minutes will see us through – and the roof will have to be repaired again before the Sunderland game.

But Newcastle’s biggest challenge will be to keep the Benfica attack in check – because if they score a goal, it will be very difficult for us to qualify for the semi-finals.

But after what happened on Sunday – anything is possible at St. James’ Park on Thursday night.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• lesh

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM

He’s probably right about getting caught if we go all out for early goals ….. Be prepared for a defensive game fro. Us. Is that wise with so many tired legs?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Balls to defensive. I think when Fulham did it they came back from the dead against Juventus, I seem to remember them getting an early goal. If we can score in the first 20minutes, then just keep it tighter until half time, the longer it goes the more nervy Benfica will get. They will try and attack us regardless, and we haven’t exactly got the best records defensively this season.

Would anyone give Campbell a start in this game? Without Goofy we lack pace, and this lad has that in abundance. He has scored goals at every level he has played. The only other option for pace is Obertan.

• TorqToon

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Repost –

Rain – Morning mate.

Well I guess it’s fair play to the ref for staying sensible then.

I’ve heard a few bits. PEA related stuff. Also know that we have club reps liaising with the agents of Nicholas Isimat-Mirin. Trying to get a head start on the ssummer dealings.

Also late last night I received a call saying that the deal for Carroll has been wrapped up. Straight cash, dropped wage demands and a deal that MA has taken command on. Have no idea how accurate this is, but if true, you can bet he got a cracking deal. He is a business man first and foremost.

• Rainrix

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Torq…. Ah cheers mate, im not to fussed about carroll coming or going as long as it doesn’t involve swap deals. Much rather PEA but his demand will be sky-high

• lesh

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Good to know we’re on the case for next season – just got to make sure we’re in a position to firm the moves up for next season.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Torq,

If you are right on Carroll, I’m slightly disappointed. Personally I think anything over 5million is too much for his record since. Also, that also means West Ham have already said no, which would surprise me unless they have wrapped a deal up themselves.

Will wait and see how good the deal is, (if your info is correct) before judging, but 5mill and 35k a week would be all the highest I would want it for me to be reasonably happy with the deal.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Torq

I know you’re pretty much spot on with rumours but I really hope the Carrol one is wide of the mark. Rodgers doesn’t want him because he wants to build a ”footballing ” team and with all our French technical touch players we should be doing the same.

It just makes no sense going back to Carrol and hoofball. He is a Pulis / Allardyce player. If we can’t get PEA, then someone in that mould is way more preferable than Carrol.

• lesh

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Did Ibiza and Kapitain Jesper enjoy breakfast or could we tempt you with another bottle, brandy perhaps?

• Rotonda heights

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Lilonngwe

the first 20 mins in Lisbon I though they were there for the taking. Don’t know who I’m more angry with Saylor or Santon for chucking it away.

At leas this time there’s no playing for a 1-0, we have to go for it and I think we generally look far better when we do. Our fitness levels really need looking at though to turn it from 20 mins spells to longer.

• lesh

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Lilongwe, I seriously believe that Carroll’s deliberately not played his best at West Ham with a view to forcing his price down for a return to SJP.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I’m not sure what happened with my ability to form sentences at the end of that last post……

• Rotonda heights

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM

lesh

that would have made sense apart from the game v west brom, but after that game surprise surprise he’s injured again, another reason i’d stay well clear

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Rotonda,

Santon couldn’t see the man, and, well, Saylor is Saylor. It isn’t his first time trying to pull a stunt like that. I think we missed too many chances, Cisse should have scored almost immediately but took a poor touch.

All will be forgiven if we win and they all play blinders, Santon excluded, he will have to buy me a pint next time I’m in Newcastle and visiting Osbornes!

We have to attack though, playing defensively just doesn’t work for us. Controlled attacking football. No need to be overly gung ho. One problem, Pards isn’t keen on that very often!

• Markaccus

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Torq.. you mean what i was told on the bus on sunday evening was true re Carroll?? Yay im an ITK 😀

• danuneek

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM

The only thing with using Campbell is Pardew seems to use him on the wing instead of as a striker. Its almost as if the wing is a lesser position than a striker and he has to prove himself there first.

• Markaccus

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Many people have said cisse would benefit from having an old fashioned cf with him. Also, just because carroll plays doesnt mean you HAVE to play hoof ball,it just means a long ball option is there if required. Carroll can play with the ball at his feet too.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Lesh,
    You really think that? It isn’t just his poor performances though. He has spent lots of time out injured as well, and has only ever looked good for 6 months at the top level. He has 25 goals in 96 premier league appearances. Not exactly a world class record….

• I I I

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM

To Beat Benifica:

Krul
    simpson/taylor/mbiwa/guti
    Obertan/Anita/Caye/Marv
    Sissokho/
    Cisse

• TorqToon

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Lilongwe / Rotonda –

This is only information I have been passed on by a former colleague working in the UK. Fairly well hooked up with strong links to London, so I’ve no idea if it’s true. I don’t hear anything really that’s UK based, which means, if this does turn out to be true, I can’t take any credit. 🙂

Personally, I think the price would have to be SO low that Liverpool wouldn’t accept it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened, as we all know if Ashley wants a player, he will get that player.

I don’t exactly believe all this myself, as our targets are France, Dutch and Belgium based. We would get more value for money and utilising our scouting network to effect.

• TorqToon

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Mark – Our NEWEST itk!! Haha

• sweendog

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM

hope Pardew is not saying we should sit back and nick 2 goals .. we need to attack form the off ..thats what they did .. still we need a strong back line but we need to push up and attack .. no point going out on a 1-1 .. 1-0 scoreline..

• woolerbill

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Thursdays tactics, It looks like we will revert from Sundays winning way to pards, we just sit back and hope to catch them in the last 20 minutes. You Pardon fans need to wake up.

• mindshaft

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Cambell looks a bit off prem league pace in the games he’s come on and Benfica are probably a bit above the likes of Fulham etc so a non starter for me at present

• lesh

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Lilongwe @17, Mmm, can’t explain his injuries away. Neither could anyone explain Marcellinl’s!

• lesh

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Marcellinl’s = Marcellino’s

• true toon

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM

2 – 0 win against Benfica? ha , it’s more likely Wigan will win the Champions league than that happening. It’s over in Lisbon and we only have pride to fight for ! Not a chance in Hell will we achieve that .

HTL

• toonicle

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Lil @2- I’d much rather see Campbell get the start instead of Obertan on Thursday. Certainly can’t see him being any worse.