60% Of Fans Think Newcastle Will Progress Against Benfica

Newcastle fans can be a positive lot when the team is involved in a tough game, and so it has proved in our latest poll.

newcastle-fans.gif

Newcastle fans – confident?

We’ve put up a poll asking whether readers think we will progress tomorrow night and a full 60% of readers think that will happen.

So it’s almost two in three fans who think we can do it tomorrow night – probably by a 2-0 score.

Here’s the current results of the poll, and it’s still open if you haven’t yet voted.

Will Newcastle Reach The Europa League Semi-Finals?

Loading ... Loading ...

Comments always welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• mindshaft

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM

1st

• TorqToon

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Great input mindshaft!!!

Somebody mentioned Belhanda in a previous thread…

He is another one whom I wouldn’t rule out. We almost got him in the winter don’t forget!

• mindshaft

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM

OMG! my first 1st, I’m deeply honoured to receive this reward and would like to thank all that made it possible – when I think back to when I were a lad in Whitley Bay I never thought I’d reach such heady heights – Hopefully my achievement will show toon players that anything in life is possible and this will inspire them to a 3-0 win over Benfica on Thurs night
    HWTL

• Rotonda heights

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Praying they will but being a NUFC fan of over 50 years, I’m not holding my breath. Would be great though.

On Remy, right age, explosive pace, scorer of great goals, scored 8 already since January in a struggling team, can play left. Would fit in with our other French contingent.

Morally if someone offers you double the money how many of us would turn it down in any other walk of life?

• mindshaft

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM

@TorkToon – It was a close run thing, but I take your congratulations and lack of bitterness as a true sign of a great man, I hope Benfica take defeat in the same manner

• TorqToon

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Mindshaft – you’re a gent!! 🙂

Rotonda – Not getting cynical on me are ya??
    :-)That’s an unfortunate trait of all toon fans.

It’s not easy when you bleed black and white. They dont make it easy for us!

• Markaccus

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Ok due to my earlier typo, i will be starting a hat campaign for new players. Each potential signing will have a vote process as to which hat they should wear if they do sign. The most popular suggestion will be forwarded to nufc, and they should supply the player with the required hat for the photo shoot.

• Barras

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Hey TorqToon,

Thank you very much for the information. Could you possibly provide any information after the forthcoming meeting with QPR has finished?

I am hoping that we do not sign Loic Remy.

• Jayden

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Torq – If you can ‘do a Cabaye’ on Belhanda, I will catch the next plane to France and hug you.

I imagine he’s good friends with Mapou?

• pawl250

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I would pay for the Belhanda flight if we sign him!

He literally would be worth the money!

Imagine if the club could pull Carroll, Belhanda AND Remy in summer window. Its a dream surely! I cannot see it happen! BUT WOW if it did, I may die!

• Barras

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I am hoping that we sign:

Aubemeyang
    Mirin
    Sakho

I think we will sign:

Aubemeyang and Mirin.

I’m not sure if we will be able to sign Sakho and Belhanda.

• Barras

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Does anyone know what Dutch players we are interested in?

• TorqToon

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Mark – A truly majestic idea. Can’t believe other clubs aren’t doing the same! Haha

Barras – I will try, my friend but I rarely hear anything that goes on IN the meetings. Only that they are happening in the first place.

Jayden – I always try. However not at Montpelier for a while now. I’ve spoken to the player in a professional capacity and joked about him catching the same flight as yanga, to which his reply was, “you never know! I do love Newcastle!”

I spoke about this in January when we first became interested in Yanga and was told by some to go back to the makem sites!! Haha

A week later – we signed Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa!!

• Markaccus

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM

As for the match tomorrow, i am sorry to say i think its just a step too far for us. I have voted no.

• Jayden

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Well Torq, you have my backing, haha. Do you work only in France?

• Markaccus

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Torq… you know those peole are eating sour grapes just because your job lets you know things in thd pipeline. This makes you a popular poster on this site as you usually have info on potential signings. It probably pi55e5 them off too that you always say that its not definite so they cant simply tell you you’re full of 5hit if it doesnt happen.

Now, what hat should belhanda wear if he signs?

• Williamsonsuks

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM

2-0 Toon tomorrow night. Didn’t think Benfica were that great, we gifted them 2 goals. No mistakes tomorrow and i think we’ll cruise it.

Scumderland on sunday will be a win. No Fletcher, basically there only scorer, a crazed fascist inexperienced half wit as manager who’s expected to turn their season around with 6 games to go 😀 😀
    We might be fatigued but the crowd will give em the boost they need. 2-0 v benfica and 4-1 v the scum.

• TorqToon

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Jayden – Majority of my time is in France but I do work occasionally with teams in the Bundesliga, mate.

• TorqToon

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Mark -Thank you my friend. 🙂

I know who are the true fans and posters on this blog. No doubt I will come in for criticism again this summer, but it’s water off a Ducks back.

And on Belhanda….I’m visualising him rocking it in a Deer stalker / Sherlock Holmes style hat!? Black and white, of course! 🙂

• TorqToon

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Williamsonsucks – love the optimism mate!

I happen to agree with you. Us lot in the stands really CAN be the 12th man!

• Williamsonsuks

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM

The views on MA spending have made a dramatic turn since January. Hopefully he’s seen the light and will break the bank in the summer, not on 1 high earner but like the previous window good buys for peanuts. Cant believe we got Sissoko and Mbiwa for 8 mil. A decent ST, RB to give Debuchy a bit of competition and one more CB if Colo is leaving.

• wolfshead@toon

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM

i dont like all this talk of carroll coming back it would mean hoofball coming back 🙁

• pawl250

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM

wolfshead, just because you have a strong, tall player with aerial ability it doesnt mean you need to hoof it.

Players like Sissoko, Belhanda, Ben Arfa, Cabaye all can play ground football. We should be able to use Carroll as a hold up player to bring the above players into play.

He would be a massive asset in our current formation.

• Markaccus

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Wolfshead. I dont think it would mean a return to hoofball, but it would give us a long ball option if it is required. There has been a few games this season that have been crying out for a more direct approach to break down defensive sides. I think we have too many ball players now who will prefer not to hoof the ball. Thats just how i see it, mind. I can understand people being worried

• t00ntime

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM

The 2 dutch players we are/were rumourd to be looking at were bony and lens.

Bony powerful clinical striker, 29goals this season i think, destroying the eresivise and keeping his team in with a chance for the title. (3rd place 40points, 3 points behind ajax in first)

Lens a pacey winger who plays on either side and also upfront. Dont think he has a great goal scoring record but has a few skills and can be deadly on the counter. Plays for PSV (2nd place, also 3 points behind ajax)

Lens said he wants to play in the BPL next season and WILL move in the summer. But I cant see us actually been intrested in him, he seems to be the same as obertan/gouffran (but alot better than obertan lol)

Cant see us getting bony either, i think we might be intrested but the board+AP like AC more and imo they are both target men.

I would be happy if we got lens and sold obertan, definitaly a move up in class. Wud rather have aub/remy than bony.

• mindshaft

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM

@wolfshead – hoofball coming back – didn’t realise it had gone away – we are currently the most direct team in the EPL !

• Williamsonsuks

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Torq.. If we’d lost on Sunday I wouldn’t be as optimistic. That win will have done wonders, ok we’re not in the clear but when that goal went in I felt like I could breathe, so can only imagine what it did for the team.

• Markaccus

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM

If we sign remy, he should wear a stetson tipped at an angle of 15 degrees (left side down as you look at him) at the photo shoot.

• ajcrawfs

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Haidara and Ben Arfa in full traning this morning!

• Spuggy

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM

That’s it then,

Get Belhanda and Remy in providing competition/cover to wings, ACM and striker. Sell Obertan and replace Simmo and Colo and roberts your fathers brother.

……………………..Krul…………………….

Debuchy….Saylor….Mbiwa….Santon

…………..Cabaye………Sissoko………..

…HBA………..Belhanda……..Remy…

…………………….Cisse…………………..

Bench: Elliott, New CB, Haidara, Anita, Tiote, Marv/Jonas, Gouffran,

Ouch!!!!

• Jayden

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Mindshaft – that was written on Nov 15, buddy 🙂

• Barras

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM

@TorqToon

Thank you very much man.

• Markaccus

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Mindshaft the trouble is our direct game is not effective without an old fashioned foward. Whith him arpund i think we would have turned a few of or draws into wins

• Barras

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM

@tOOntime

Thank you for the information. I think Bony will join someone else, possibly West Ham. I am hoping we do not sign Bony, Carroll or Remy and instead, go for Aubemeyang.

• Barras

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM

As for Lens, I think he would be a very good buy, if we sign him to bolster our squad.

• Jayden

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I would love to see Aub.. Aub…Auberge…Aubergine… Err PEA at our club. Guy looks a real talent.

• Markaccus

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM

If andy carroll does sign, then he should wear a bowler hat at his photo shoot. The down side to this is he will look like something from ‘a clockwork orange’

• wolfshead@toon

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM

@mind
    very interesting i just think a tall striker tempts players to lump the ball forward esp when the game is tight think about about sunday it was a direct pass into the box and a skillful touch in the last minute that won the game not ariel bombardment

• Markaccus

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM

@ jayden. Perry-eminates A boomarang

• nufc_eire

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Is lens a better option than mertens? I’ve only ever seen youtube clips so if anyone has seen them and knows that’d be great!