The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew – We Can Do It Thursday Night

12:01 am, Wednesday, April 10th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 38 Comments

Newcastle will go into Thursday night’s Europa League quarter-final second leg, after we lost the first leg 3-1 in Lisbon, when we gifted the Portuguese side two goals in the second half.

alan pardew in lisbon

Alan Pardew – we can do if we are patient

And we don’t expect Newcastle to go gung-ho on Thursday night – as it will be very important for our defense to be very solid  – we really cannot afford to concede a goal otherwise we’ll have to score four to get through, or three to force overtime, which is hardly what we want.

It looks like Alan will play this game with some caution – at least at the beginning of the game:

“We just need to get ourselves in a good position. If we can get a goal with 20 minutes to go, we can do it – that’s the agenda for me.”

“Our fans need to understand on Thursday, in the quarter-final of the Europa League, that if we go gung-ho looking for two quick goals, we are just going to get killed.”

“Benfica have got real quality on the break. We have got to be very intelligent and we have got to be patient.”

We need to keep it at 0-0 for a while, and we watched  the Borussia Dortmund vs Malaga game tonight, when the German side scored two goals in a minute in stoppage time to win the game 3-2 – even though their last and winning goal saw four Dortmund players offside when the cross came in that led to the goal.

What was the lineman doing?

But given what happened in Dortmund, Newcastle can bring off the impossible  on Thursday night in front of a sold-out St. James’ Park crowd.

So if it’s 0-0 when stoppage time comes along – we’ll have Benfica exactly where we want them – and Papiss then just has to score a couple of goals in stoppage time – and he knows how to do that.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News

38 responses so far ↓

• 1 Shearer.Milburn // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM

1st?

• 2 Shearer.Milburn // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM

2nd

• 3 Shearer.Milburn // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Hat trick!!!!

• 4 Shearer.Milburn // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Actually have a really good feeling about Thursday night!! Anybody expected back from injury? ???

• 5 t00ntime // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM

If i was a malaga fan I think I would be sick after tonight. Conceding 2times in 1minute? thats awful, definitely seen so it was offside. Feel so sorry for malaga. aw well hopefully we dont have the same fate and we make it to the semis.

• 6 Tsunki // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I’d be slightly impressed if you did that during the day. Still you did well. You avoided commenting on the article which is the most important thing.

If Pardew adopts this sit back and wait plan we will draw 0-0. I dont believe that is the rea plan, at least I hope not. Attack from KO and never let up, they reeled under pressure and we gifted them goals, no mistakes this time and the home advantage 2 or 3 nil to us.

• 7 woolerbill // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Make me a believer. If Pardew can pull this off I will stop being negative towards him. This is a big ask for a average team like ours, we have to be realistic.

• 8 Ben_BKK // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:13 AM

t00ntime – Malaga’s 2nd goal was offside as well though, so they cancelled each other out.

• 9 Shearer.Milburn // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:13 AM

My 4th comment is in relation to the article lol hwtl

• 10 Tsunki // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:14 AM

better late…. :)

• 11 Shearer.Milburn // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I think ur right too tsunki. All guns blazing from ko and dont let them find any rhythm or footing in the game at all!!!

• 12 Ben_BKK // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:19 AM

We need to start the match as we started the 1st leg. We bossed possession and put them on the back foot, and we got ourselves an early goal. If we hadn’t shot ourselves in the foot in the 2nd half we’d have come away with a draw, and if we’d had a bit more luck could’ve won 2 or 3-1. Same tactics again, but try and keep up the play from the start of the first half, especially as we’re at home in front of a packed out St James’!

• 13 Tsunki // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I’m just jealous btw, its ages since I got a first (sobs) :(

I think Pardew has the latitude of a change of key players between thursday and sunday to go all-out.

I am on record as saying earlier in the season that PL security rules over silverware but if our tryout team gets us through to the latter stages of a cup, then we change gear and go for it. This is the time, we are a game away from the semis it would be unthinkable to play it like an early round of the league cup.

• 14 Shearer.Milburn // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I only went for the hat trick as I was so amazed that I got a first lol cisse, hopefully buzzing after his belter on sunday will bang in at least 2 on Thursday night! !!

• 15 DeanToon88 // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM

If we do get kicked out of the euro league is down to santon and taylor’s stupid mistakes, santon needs to pay us bigtime with some unreal football or a goal of his own to make up for that mess of a backpass. i will be fuming if we go out of this tournament knowing santons mistake caused it. I also dont really like him as our left back he is clueless at defending and spends more time attacking than anything else, sell him or loan him out so we can bring in a solid left back who actually defends.

• 16 Shearer.Milburn // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I would actually swap santon and jonas around on Thursday night.

• 17 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I think we will go at Benfica from the start the crowd will make it happen

Its crucial Haidara plays at left back now Santon is injured after Jonas performance on Sunday I cant wait to see him against that Benfica full back as he had the beating of him over in Portugal plus with Haidara overlapping we can cause them problems

Imagine with 20 minutes to goal we are winning 1 nil and we bring on a fully fit Arfa to run at them?!?Oh YES!!

• 18 DeanToon88 // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I know for a fact benfica will score so even if we are 2-0 up. i really can’t tell how this one will go but if st james park is in full voice our players will surely go for it, I know for one thing i will be sat in gallowgate end shouting my tits off.

• 19 JP...from The Rock // Apr 10, 2013 at 1:34 AM

“and Papiss then just has to score a couple of goals in stoppage time” – we can’t leave it that late Ed.

I do think we can win the game in normal time though. We were unlucky not to score more last time before Santon did the unthinkable.

Pardew is right though, we have to be patient and the crowd get fully behind the team.

We should go all out for it on the 60min mark.

We can do it if it is still 0-0 by then. What a shame Gouffran and HBA can’t play.

• 20 SydneyMag // Apr 10, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Can’t remember the last time we convincingly won any game 2-0, let alone having to win it 4-1 Still, anything’s possible.. my monies on a shola hat trick
    Anyone in Sydney know of any thing happening for the derby?

• 21 true toon // Apr 10, 2013 at 2:57 AM

2 – 0 win against Benfica? ha , it’s more likely Wigan will win the Champions league than that happening. It’s over in Lisbon and we only have pride to fight for ! Not a chance in Hell will we achieve that .

HTL

• 22 t00ntime // Apr 10, 2013 at 3:10 AM

I never watch anything else other than bpl so thie foreign teams are unknown to me. Everybody was ranting at how good benfica were… well when i watched us play agains them they were god awful. We have been bad all season and could of been 3-0up after 20mins. I dont know what benfica people usually watch but judging by that one they are a mid table premier league team max :S. If benfica come to SJP playing like that this 2-0 might be rather simple (if we can aim). Knowing our luck tho a completely diffrent team will show up and we will get played off the park

• 23 nick_9 // Apr 10, 2013 at 3:35 AM

I think on our day we could win 2:0 but we will have to be on top form to keep them out. I will be very proud if we can progress in Europe regardless of the performance. An early goal would really set the tone and have the place rocking, if they score I fear the worst

• 24 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // Apr 10, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Not sure about Remy, would prefer someone who is more technical- seems to rely on his pace a bit too much (despite that absolute stunner last weekend!). He has looked a good player at QPR but his touch is sometimes abit off.

I wouldn’t mind him being our backup target.

However, his attitude seems to be very poor. Seems like a total Gangsta wannabe and egoist, just look at his celebration for that goal and some of the videos and pictures he did whilst at Marseille.

• 25 Dannyo // Apr 10, 2013 at 5:42 AM

We can do it again Thursday night, after all, we’re only playing a team equal to Fulham. You know, Benfica could manage 8-10th place in the PL 😛

• 26 TorqToon // Apr 10, 2013 at 6:22 AM

Bollance – Apologies for my late reply. Had to hit the hay as working today.

To answer your question, yes I am back working at St. Etienne for the remainder of this month.

• 27 cyprus // Apr 10, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Why are you so sure we can’t beat them? Glad u ain’t the coach, dude. If we get the first one in the first 60′, the next one will go in by itself! Remember Bellamy vs. that dutch team.
    btw, warming toward AP’s passion!! And the rest of the team’s.
    When Aguero scored his wonder goal the other players grudgingly went to celebrate with him… strange

• 28 cyprus // Apr 10, 2013 at 6:48 AM

In the Champs League (yes, we’ve been in that, younger folks) we lost the first three of six games.

3 games, 0 points (rock bottom, embarrassing right?)

Well, that’s NUFC for you man.

We won the next three, qualified for next round. Simple.

• 29 JackButler // Apr 10, 2013 at 6:51 AM

We could have been out of sight by half time of the first leg, but luck seems to have abandoned us this season.

Yes we can win on thursday, but sunday’s game is far more important to us as a club, bragging right’s aside we desperately need the three pionts

• 30 cyprus // Apr 10, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Arshavin available? Is that a step up? Of course it is! Go for it Mike.

• 31 JackButler // Apr 10, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Arshavin???

Another over paid under producing failure

• 32 cyprus // Apr 10, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Unlike the last player Man U offloaded to us, Nani would be great. So would Arshavin. Unless they both forgot their football, like Duff did when he came to us.

• 33 clinta2 // Apr 10, 2013 at 7:05 AM

It’s a tough one for our team. I agree with Pardew that we need to be patient and can;t go gung-ho. However, we have to be high tempo from the off.

That said, I can’t see us being attack minded enough to get two unanswered goals. I fear that if we are that attack minded Benfica will score as well as they have some quality players and will be strong on the break.

My prediction 1-1. I so hope I’m wrong.

• 34 clinta2 // Apr 10, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Cyprus: I’d take Nani but not Arshavin. I think he’s too old. Plus realistically I don’t think either would come to us as they’d have to except considerably lower wages.

• 35 bills-son // Apr 10, 2013 at 7:23 AM

That picture in all the papers taken by a fan of Cisse celebrating his last minute goal on Sunday is awesome….

And so is the size of that steward”s kite standing off to his left. He’s got the world’s biggest wok shoved down his shirt front. Just blown his pic up on my tablet and he’s a 20 pint a night Guinness man if ever I saw one.

• 36 STB // Apr 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Overtime ???!!

For goodness’ sake Ed, as a geordie living abroad, like myself, at least make the effort to defend the great English language and stop all these awful Americanisms.
    Just because they can’t spell or write properly, it doesn’t mean that all residentsare obliged to adopt the same approach.

You’ll be calling it soccer next !

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Apr 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Bills,
    This has been one of the most disappointing two weeks of my life, the three most important three home games of the season and I’m stuck on a ship some where off of the coast of Norway, and torub it in I was home for the internatinal break :(

• 38 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 10, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Jail…Norway you say….not tempted to go visit everyones best mate?

previous post: Reports Newcastle Want To Sign Loic Remy In The Summer