Young Newcastle Midfield Target Looking To The Future

Newcastle have been heavily linked with 20 year-old Le Havre defensive midfielder El-Hadji Ba in recent months, and today his club has said he has not turned down the offer of a news contract.

El-Hadji Ba

El-Hadji Ba – yet to sign new contract at Le Havre

Other Premier League clubs like Sunderland, Wigan, Tottenham and Borussia Dortmund have also been linked with the player, who was born in Paris and is of Senegalese descent.

Ba has played for the French U18 (6 appearances), U19 (8 appearances) and U20 (4 appearances) sides and has played a total of 14 times for le Havre with one goal.

There were previous reports that the youngster, who is 6 foot tall and right footed, had turned down Le Havre’s offer of a new contract, but the news today is that a Le Havre spokesman has informed Sky Sports that he has not turned down a new contract.

The player himself admitted that a new deal at Le Havre may not be in his future as he told Sky Sports:

“I am not in a hurry to sign a new contract, we will wait until the end of the season and sit down together.” “Le Havre has been good to me and I have the utmost respect for the club.”

The Le Havre statement is true, but there’s not much difference between a player turning down a new contract and just not signing it – and it seems at the moment that Ba has not signed a new contract at his club, and will do nothing until the summer, and probably wait to see what offers come in for him.

It seems almost certain he will leave as a free agent in the summer, and it could be that he comes to Newcastle to join the growing French Legion on Tyneside.

Note:  For those attending tonight’s game (and Sunday too) please bring your scarves to the the game, as there is an effort to recreate the atmosphere at Alan Shearer’s testimonial, and hopefully inspire our lads to two famous wins.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

============================================

• Tsunki

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Ah! New post. Never thought of that scenario.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Tsunki…..Ed is always one step ahead of us.Actually, not sure that’s true, what with time differences etc…hmmm…

So, another Ba?

• Spoof

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Another Ba, and another holding midfielder, Tiote, Sissoko, Anita, Perch, Abied and Bigirimana, I think we have enough, he might be young but taking Tiote and Perch out of the above list the oldest of those thats left is only 23. its one or two young strikers that we need

• GeordieDan

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM

“…and it seems at the moment that Ba has not signed a new contract at his club, and will do nothing until the summer, and probably wait to see what offers come in for him…”

You could have copied and pasted this quote from 6 months ago and nobody would be any the wiser. 🙂

Strange how these things turn out isn’t it. Wonder if the the Le Havre fans would give their Ba as much grief if he leaves. 😀

• bollance

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Spoof

So u would turn him down on a free?

His introduction would allow us to send a youngster out on loan like Bigi to another prem or championship team next season.

Sign Ba up but don’t give him a £7m release clause. Hopefully we have learnt that lesson.

• nufcsg

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM

we need another passer like Cabaye.. in fact, i missed Guthrie.. he was so effective deputising Cabaye.. or… can we have Barton back?
    Tiote – more defensive than passing capability
    Bigi – promising but certainly not ready to step up
    Sissoko – 90% dribble 10% passing
    Anita – short passer, lack long range ability
    Gosling – hopeless
    Perch – improving but he is no midfielder

so, please not another holding mid… get a passer please… someone who can distribute fast.. bring back Guthrie!

• Spoof

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM

bollance, no I wouldn’t turn him away if we could get him on a free, I just feel that with what we have we should be filling our squad places with players who play different positions, we already have 6, 7 if you include Cabaye who play that role, yet we are thread bare up front and how many good out and out wingers do we have, its just a case of prioritising

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM

So any fresh injuries for todays match or are we alive and well? 😉

…ohh and who’s fit? (heard some rumors about Saylor pulling another Saylor…please say it isn’t so!)

• bollance

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Spoof

Is it a clue that we may be moving some players on in the summer?

Gosling
    Abeid
    Plus one or two more?

• Spoof

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Bollance, we may well be moving some on in the summer, but even if we moved the two you mentioned and also allowed Bigi to go on a season long loan, we would still have more than enough cover in that area, and because of that I would try and strengthen other areas first, would you not agree

• Transfer Sage

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Just because I like to start this debate…

Jesper, what did you make of messi playing only 8 days after pulling up with a hamstring problem? Haha. Sorry couldn’t resists starting this off.

And you heard right, saylor is doubtful for tonight with a knee injury.

• Jamiemac

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Ah can’t wait for tonight!

• Transfer Sage

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Spoof

I’d look to loan out bigi then release abeid. Maybe get ba as a free and loan him straight out?

I’d like a proper goal scoring midfielder like siem de Jong, he’s my number 1 summer target.

Then remy, belhanda and alderwield

• Jamiemac

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I think I’ve gained more respect for Ba since he left us. When he was here I wasn’t sure of his loyalties but some of his recent twitter comments suggest otherwise.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:19 PM

TS….Naughty, naughty, very naughty 🙂

Jesper…Community is making a good first impression 😉

• toonLYF

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I personally hope Aubameyang goes to PSG. That would free up Gameiro for us to take him on loan with a vtb. Trust me, Gameiro is far more suited to us and to the premier league; i really think Aubameyang is hugely overrated.

On Gameiro, think a more clinical version of Kevin Mirallas with a bit more strength.

• Spoof

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM

TS, I would rather have PEA and Sakho than Remy and Alderwield, but they are of a similar quality so either would do, the other two you mention yes they would do very nicely indeed, the point I was trying to make to bollance was that holding midfield players are not a priority, its elsewhere which needs strengthening, but you can’t have too many good players, however I would rather have them occupying different positions.
    Simon Kjaer is another CB who I rate highly, not sure if he would be available or in our price range if he was, but I would love to see him in the black and white jersey

• toonaids

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM

loving the symmetry in this guys face!

• Cisse's Big Toe

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM

anyone miss oba martins celebration 🙁

• Spoof

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM

CBT, Lua Lua had a good celebration as well, but the best of the lot has to be Temuri Ketsbaia, lets hope we see a special celebration at full-time tonight

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM

TS…wouldn’t do it myself!

…so it pan out; what if it didn’t? there would have been hell to pay!

there is being dumb and there is being recklesss. What category are you in? B-) sorry couldn’t help myself.

So are we ready for tonight?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Ibiza…I am glad to hear 🙂

…It only gets better I think.

Are you going to watch the game tonight?

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Jesper…I am indeed. I have some new clients in (Dutch), so we had a good chat about Krul and Anita (who they didn’t like due to his Ajax connections 🙂 ) – I’ve told them i’m always available, but not this evening unless the house is on fire 🙂

• nufc_eire

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:41 PM

• WWYCD

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Benfica are going to get a hammering tonight St James will be louder than it has been in weeks and we will march onto the semi finals

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Ibiza…so are they PSV fans or something? 🙂

…just let the house burn my friend – what can you do anyway? lol

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Yo…are you going?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM

…so did TS just start all that commotion for nothing 🙁 lol

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Jesper…They are indeed. What can I do? Are you doubting my fire fighting skills? 😉

Nothing will stop me tonight…expect maybe my internet connection…

Yo….Too right! HWTL!

• WWYCD

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM

jesper
    I am indeed my friend being as loud as I can be 😉

• WWYCD

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Ibiza
    Victory is 4 short games away mate

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Ibiza….Nooooo 😉 of course not! lol

Yo…that’s all you can do my friend 😉 the ream has to do the rest!

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Yo…I hope they’re short…not sure I can take extra time 🙂

Enjoy the match. I reckon it’s going to be a cracker tonight!

Jesper…Glad to hear it 🙂

Right guys…final push for the day, then football time. Catch you later.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Ibiza…catch you later or tomorrow!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM

*ream = team

• WWYCD

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM

jesper
    And I reckon they will give it a hell of a go at doing the rest haha really looking forward to the game

Ibiza
    Haha as long as we win after extra time I dont mind so much.

Pards is a third of the way to his perfect week and one think mags arent lacking is faith 😉

• WWYCD

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Ibiza
    Have a good one mate and enjoy the game

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Yo…what’s weather like up in Newcastle?

…it’s freezing cold here in DK

• Tsunki

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM

So thats a combined attendance in excess of 150k mags in a weeks’ footy, not bad that. Looking forward to tonight it should be loud.

Just thought I would mention that someone said the atmosphere wasn’t as good these days, I don’t think thats down to lack of support or enthusiasm on the crowds’ part, more to do with the demograph of the ground these days with family seating and such, much has to do with the way the club has allocated and arranged the audience imo. Should be satisfactorily lud tonight and on sunday though 🙂

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Yo
    Benfica are going to be torn apart mate canny wait!!
    Only an hour of driving left then on to the beers and SJP!
    Buzzing!