The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Cabaye – We Gave Everything On The Pitch

2:07 am, Friday, April 12th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 96 Comments

Newcastle didn’t manage to win 2-0 against Benfica last night, and go through to the semi-finals of the Europa League, but the team did everything but get that second goal in those final 20 minutes of the game.

yohan cabaye in action last night

Yohan Cabaye tries to score with free kick after 90 minutes last night

Apparently the lads were disappointed we didn;t go through – but they gave it all they had – everybody watching the game could see that.

This is what Yohan said on the Newcastle web-site immediately after the game:

“We gave everything on the pitch.” “We played well and we followed the plan. When we were winning 1-0, they were scared about the second goal we were close to.”

“Unfortunately we couldn’t do it. That is football but we have gained a lot of experience tonight because the game was good to play in and trying to claim back two goals is a good experience for the young players.”

“Playing in an atmosphere such as tonight was unbelievable. When Papiss scored, everyone was thinking that we could do it. We had a chance at the end but unfortunately we didn’t score again so we are sad tonight.”

“It wasn’t enough to go through but I think we have to be proud of our game tonight and now just look forward to Sunday and keep the crowd behind us for this big game.”

“The experience for me was fantastic, being the captain of this team. “I am proud of this football club, proud of everyone.” “The fans were amazing so I can’t wait for Sunday’s game and the derby.”

“I just want to win the game to move up the table but also for us and for the fans.”

Another excellent interview from Yohan – and we need him to lead the lads to a win on Sunday afternoon, against Sunderland,  and we’ll all feel a lot better – because basically we’ll be safe in the league.

And with our best players coming back, we could have a strong finish to the season – with just one game a week – that’s a piece of cake after what the lads have been through this season.

That’s what we are hoping for, after what was an excellent run in the Europa League – even with all the injuries we’ve had.

Note – today we are trying to help one of our readers, Bagus Asmanu – who is studying at INTO Manchester – in partnership with Manchester University – and Bagus is completing a dissertation – and some of the work is on the Wonga deal with Newcastle United – and he wants as many Newcastle supporters as possible to complete his questionnaire. Here it is - please help Bagus.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Yohan Cabaye

96 responses so far ↓

• 1 Novocastrian66 // Apr 12, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Yet another hard luck story. I’m proud of the club, and the fans. Always have been always will be. It’s the board, managers and players that always fail as far as I’m concerned. I’m talking about our modern history here not just the current incumbents. Luck always seems to be against us when it matters also. Well never mind there is always next season.

• 2 RonVanDam // Apr 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM

If only we can replicate the barnstorming finish we had last season without the everton defeat I could see use in the top 10

• 3 RonVanDam // Apr 12, 2013 at 2:33 AM

I prefer Cabaye as captain, atleast i know how he truely feels about the club and fans and what he wants the team to do unlike Colo.
    Hope the captaincy doesnt lead him to another depression where he ends up personally taking responsibility for losses and poor form

• 4 Jamiemac // Apr 12, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Just got back from Newcastle (finally)

Well what can I say, amazing performance by the lads tonight, I really really believed when Papiss scored that we would go on to score the second but it wasnt to be :(

Atmosphere was insane!!!

About tot read back over tonights comments, if I see anyone posting negatively about the performance I’ll go skits.

• 5 toonhamu // Apr 12, 2013 at 3:22 AM

It’s a shame Cabaye was possibly our most disappointing player tonight, he could’ve been the difference. Honourable mentions for our full backs who I thought were excellent. Onwards & upwards

• 6 Grafton83 // Apr 12, 2013 at 4:42 AM

It was great to watch, HBA was brilliant, Jonas had another blinder.

I would still have liked to see Marv get on the pitch earlier but credit to Pardew our game plan was a good one and in the end we came very close.

Cabs didn’t have his best game, unusual for him.

Most importantly it was a performance we can all be proud of, indeed the whole competition has shown we are still a very good football club especially when you consider how many injuries we’ve had.

• 7 KayZey78 // Apr 12, 2013 at 5:57 AM

It was a great game to watch and I thought the subs where really good. Marv, Jonas and Hatem played very well together.

• 8 roshan MAGPIE // Apr 12, 2013 at 6:06 AM

it was really mouth watering to watch Ben arfa marveux cisse and sissoko link up play and now I think we can go for top half finish this season since we don’t have any europa league distraction

• 9 renzo // Apr 12, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Very happy with the performance of haidara. Next season he will be starting. Uninspiring first half but I understand the tactics. To win any trophy you need luck and not make defensive mistakes

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Is Cabaye carrying an injury? Last night he was totally off the pace, and every time Supersport did a close up he looked like he was either exhausted, or in agony and fighting on with gritted teeth.

Willo did fine, can’t put him at fault for too much, same with Simmo, I imagine that will disappoint a number of people. I’d be happy if both were to stay to be honest, but Simmo will definitely be gone.

The team performance, I thought we were poor/average in the first half. We went out to contain them, but we were a little lucky on a number of occasions. Still, we deserved a bit of luck. Thought Pards got the game plan mostly right, although I did feel Marveaux or Hatem should have been on maybe 5/10 minutes earlier. I felt we left it too late. Having said that, we had a couple of half chances to do it.

There goal is largely irrelevant to me, we didn’t do what we needed to, so them getting a late equaliser doesn’t really bother me.

The team staff and fans can be proud of last night. Now, lets get at Sunderland, get the three points and aim as high up the table as we can manage.

• 11 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Great atmosphere last night Gallowgate was bouncing second half.

Have not seen Cisse’s off side goals. Told the first one was the second one touch and go.

Ref bottled it – booked every tackle near the end let one of their players off (would of been second yello card) when he cynically pulled back Sissoko near the end.

BUT – great to see Marvo and Benni in the same team running at their defence – Those two and Sissoko if we can keep them and keep them fit running at defenders with the ball are going to terrify opposition defences.

ALSO – Pardew got his tactics spot on and a metion for ‘Iron Mike” Williamson had good game for being out so long

• 12 Bambams // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:23 AM

I had to rub my eyes for a fifteen minute spell during the second half. … It was fantastic attacking football. ……

If only benny had hit the target.

Roll on Sunday

• 13 northernirishtoon // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Lilongwe

Are u serious?

I thought cabaye was awesome. I voted him mom. Most tackles, most interceptions, most passes and most shots

The man was everywhere and every thing we did went through him. I was really suprised at the lack of votes he had for mom but it just shows how good he is when everyone just expects that level of performance

What a pleasure it was seeing marv and benny on the same pitch. Very ‘Keegan’esque. Hope pardew can find a way to make that a regular theme

Roll on Sunday

• 14 northernirishtoon // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Cabaye had most chances created as well

Forgot that one lol

• 15 Transfer Sage // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM

charlie

couldn’t get to the game unfortunately so had to watch it on tv. Both were offside, only just but offside from what I saw on replays.

I think it was a great effort by the lads, did everything we could have done and proud of the fight they showed.

This tie was decided by fine margins, twice we hit the post, twice we gifted them goals and twice we had offside goals ruled out…..at this level small things are crucial and 6 key ones went against us in this tie so was always going to be hard.

• 16 Transfer Sage // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:36 AM

manx

if you are about this morning, sorry never got chance to reply last night.

I think this season has been very unlucky and also hard for Pardew. I don’t want him gone, happy for him to stay but also wouldn’t mind an upgrade if available.

I do think he has struggled and I don’t agree with how defensive we play this or last year but I do appreciate he is payed to win games not make us look good. I just think by being a bit more attacking, not full on keegan days, but more sir bobby, we could do better.

• 17 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Transfer Sage
    cheers for letting me know
    hopefully no injuries and we take that performance and a little bit of luck into Sunday’s game.

• 18 Transfer Sage // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:37 AM

northern irish

I think cabaye was solid enough, he did the basics pretty well, the only problem was like you say, he didn’t have a blinder like we know he can.

• 19 Transfer Sage // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:39 AM

charlie

If we play like that we will destroy sunderland, they won’t create much against us, they are poor in that department and we have more than enough to score past them…especially with marv, benny, cabaye all feeding cisse and with sissoko’s driving runs.

• 20 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:39 AM

NorhernIrish, I don’t think he had a good game, but he wasn’t bad. He also gave away a lot of fouls which had he been on the pace he wouldn’t have, some silly late challenges, a couple of tugs at the back of someone who shouldn’t have been past him. A number of people I’ve spoken to, some at the match and some who watched on tv have said the same. I think I saw a couple of other posters mention it too.

But, my main point of my mentioning it was to see he was carrying a knock? The TV pictures showed him limping a couple of times, and struggling to chase back on occasions. As well as him looking generally exhausted (some of this within the first 15minutes). More worried for Sunday and the run in then I am about his performance last night

• 21 Patoon // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Must start marveaux against the scum on sunday, he’s our best player atm, when him and benny wer running at benfica they didn’t kno wot 2 do, imagine that against sunderland, they’l create far more for cisse 2, let play sissoko back in midfield with tiote and let cabaye hav a bit more freedom

• 22 toonheroes // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Thought we did really well last night. Pardew got the tactics spot on in my opinion and the lads gave everything. They showed real fight and the crowd were fantastic. What more can you ask? Thought Shola and Cisse worked very well together as well and we very nearly did it. Ben Arfa and Marv look great, in fact everyone played out of their skin. So proud! Congratulations to Pardew and the boys. Roll on the scum. 3:0 HWTL

• 23 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:44 AM

On Cabaye
    I think he is wasted playing to deep – should be pushed further upfield in a more central midfield.
    Don’t know how we do it maybe – bring Perch in or take a chance Tiote in as the defensive midfield player

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Sage,
    Spot on, if we perform as we did yesterday, Sunderland won’t be able to cope. Man for man there isn’t a player I would swap from the 2 starting 11′s. If Marveaux Benny and Socks all play, then we could win comfortably.

I’m right in thinking they are missing Fletcher, Clattermole, and Gardner? Anyone else?

• 25 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:52 AM

And before I forget, big mention foe Haidara. Thoughht he had a good game. Carr has done it again with this gem. 2million was he? Bargain at twice the price.

• 26 Transfer Sage // Apr 12, 2013 at 7:54 AM

lilongwe

Not sure who else they have out but definitely those 3…we have a great chance.

Graham and whickam haven’t done much for sunderland and struggle to score when on so we should keep them quiet.

I think ben arfa and marv will be able to create chance for fun and cisse will have the beating of o’shea and kilgallon/bramble all day long with his movement.

I’m not sure who they have for centre mid to combat us…..will be the likes of colback, vaughan, maybe larsson in there..not good enough if we play well.

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Sage,
    Do you think Ben Arfa AND Marveaux will start? I would love to see it, bu I imagine that probably would mean leaving Guti out, and I think Pards might want to keep his battling qualities in the side.

Is Tiote fit? I suppose Guti could move central and leave Tiote and Anita out, but I’m not a massive fan of him in that position.

Whatever team we play should have enough to get the job done. I can’t see where they will get a goal from unless it is a set piece. Larsson might be a tw@ and poor in open play, but he can hit a dead ball.

• 28 Williamsonsuks // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Happy with the tactics and performance last night. If we’d went out all attack from the start, we’d have been slaughtered. Their defence was solid and pressed us in our own half, never seen a team look so organised at closing down their opponents. If we didn’t sit back in the first half (sorry to say it again) Williamson would’ve been exposed at the back. I think Williamson done ok but still had me nervous. Loved hus air shot when he kicked the Benfica player, and got a free kick :)

• 29 Novocastrian66 // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Just got in from work after night shift. I work in Sunderland and I overheard two makems talking about our performance last night. They thought if we play anywhere near as well on Sunday we will hammer them.

• 30 Williamsonsuks // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Simpson played his best game last night, even made a few dribbles, neat 1 2 passing and even put a few crosses in. Jonas and Haidara look excellent on the left. Cabaye started really slow but looked better in the second half, although his free kicks were poor at best. Where dies Sissoko and Cisse get their energy from? Them guys have great engines. Honestly I thought Marveaux edged out Benny last night with flair and composure, both were great and can see Marveaux being just as good in a season or 2.

• 31 Transfer Sage // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:31 AM

lilongwe

not sure, i doubt he will start both, ben arfa on the bench due to fitness i think.

• 32 Markaccus // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Fantastic to see mostly posetive on here this morning. Lads played well even willo had a good game. Gutz was fkn tremendous last night. Benfica couldnt deal with him even when he dropped into LB. He was my m.o.m. Pards tactics and subs were spot on imo and had we nicked that second goal we would be calling him a genius. As it is he has at least earned some respect from his detractors. Not sure he’ll get it from some people like.

• 33 Williamsonsuks // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Gonna stick a fiver on 4-1, the 1 will probably be an own goal, cant any them scoring :)

• 34 Guj NUFC // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM

So unlucky not to get a fairytale finish to the game :) but what a journey!!! I would give Danny Simpson a contract. Decent cover for R.B – will be hard with Raylor coming back though. On Hatem- he’s just the thing the club need right now, a massive morale boost and our best player is back!! :D

Team to play the unwashed-

……………………….Krul………………………………………
    Debuchy….M’biwa….Taylor?…..Haidara…………….
    ………………Jonas…….Cabaye…………………………….BenArfa………..Sissoko………..Marveaux……………………………………Cisse………………………………………

• 35 Williamsonsuks // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM

*see

• 36 Markaccus // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Williamsonsuks…. in honour of his good game last night i think (just for today) you should drop the ‘suks’ from your name :D

• 37 NobbyNolano // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Immensely proud, both goals were definitely offside so there’s no point debating it. The damage was done in the first leg, onwards to the derby. Could do with a good thrashing to keep my spirits up.

• 38 NobbyNolano // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Immensely proud, both goals were definitely offside so there’s no point debating it. The damage was done in the first leg, onwards to the derby. Could do with thrashing the mackems to cheer me up.

• 39 NobbyNolano // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Didn’t realise that posted twice, sorry lads.

• 40 Assam Toon // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Marv hatem cabs sissoko cisse at the same time was like a teaser of the next season,but sissoko disappointed yesterday and cabaye was not upto his high standards. Shola didnt set a foot wrong and when he was walking back after full time he had this expression…as if European nights are over for him.
    Bring on the mackems!!!

• 41 Markaccus // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Nobby…. so important you said it twice? :D

• 42 Transfer Sage // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Markaccus

I think Williamson was poor. He still went long nearly every time he got the ball.

I appreciate simmo this last fee weeks has shown he is trying to play on the floor and is also overlapping better. Williamson just doesn’t improve. Wasted possession too much last night.

The guy tries but a true pro would work on his passing in trainin or afterwards to improve. That’s where he loses a bit of respect from me.

• 43 Williamsonsuks // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:43 AM

My team for sunday

Krul
    Debuchy Mbiwa Saylor Haidar

Cabaye Perch/Tiote

Marveaux Sissoko Jonas

Cisse

If Cisse stays onside he’s on for his easiest hat-trick. Has he scored a hat-trick?

• 44 Markaccus // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:45 AM

You could tell shola was totally gutted when they interveiwed him. Felt sorry for him. One of our most prolific european players and, love him or hate him, you have to take your hat off to that.

• 45 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Markaccus,
    Seconded! :-)

• 46 Williamsonsuks // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Markaccus… Sorry can’t do that… He does still suk :D

• 47 TorqToon // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Well lads, despite the result, I’m so proud of the lads.

Stuck to the brief and could’ve nicked it. 2 costly errors in the 1st leg, but hey…we did ourselves proud.

Atmosphere was incredible. Read through a few posts on here last night, and I’m aastonished by some so called ‘fans’!!!

Criticising Haidara, calling cisse appalling, berating cabaye and of course, calling for parades head.

Absolutely ridiculous, pards got it spot on. 25mins to go unleash both marv and Hatem. He could’ve easily left both on bench and saved for sunday, but he went for it.

I’m a very proud toon fan today! :-)

• 48 Markaccus // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Tsage. He never gives much in attack but he was very solid at the back last night. Did the job he was asked to do at short notice. I usually have multiple heart attacks when he gets the ball but last night he defended well. Still a last resort though

• 49 Markaccus // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Williamsonsuks…. ok how about a compromise……WILLIAMSONUSUALLYSUCKS :D

• 50 Markaccus // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Torq… here here. I was going to come here for a chat last night but left quickly when i saw the negs. Utter disgrace. Some of those people go to games. As a rugby man first, i am considdered an armchair fan, but i have more football knowlege in my left little toe than some of those muppets.

• 51 TorqToon // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Parades???

*Pards!

Damn you auto correct.

• 52 Markaccus // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Why do i have an advert for cougarlife telling me i could meet attractive young men. Im scared.

• 53 Markaccus // Apr 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Yes torq….. that alan parades is a total waste of space :D

• 54 Williamsonsuks // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Markaccus.. He made some clearances but did nowt really. He put the ball out for needless throw ins a few times, when the ball was passed to him on the edge of his own box with not an opposing player within 10 yards hd panicked and passed it instantly. A few times he was completely free in defence and when anyone went to pass him ball he pointed th the keeper or the nearest defender. We can’t have that in our team.
    Williamsoncompletelylacksconfidenceansuks :)

• 55 TorqToon // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Mark – I’ve learnt to never try to engage in conversation on here, right before, during or straight after a game. Absolute jokers inhabit this place.

I always wait until the following morning, that way I get sensible and grown up discussion.

The annoying thing is, if we had won that game last night, those neggers would be nowhere yo be seen.

• 56 Markaccus // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Williamsonsuks….. like i say he never gives any creativity or attacking options. He was employed as a wall last night and almost looked as if hed been told to just make sure they didnt get the ball near the goal and to just punt it anywhere if they entered the same postcode as him. He is a last resort. I think if perch had been fit hed have played instead……..WILLIAMSONISALASTRESORTBECAUSEHEUSUALLYSUCKSBUTDIDAJOBLASTNIGHT.

• 57 Markaccus // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Im wondering if we’ll see catchy today. He might not show because we didnt actually lose the match and played well. Hope if he does show he gets slapped down v quickly.

• 58 Tsunki // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM

It was what we expected – Benfica is the team we played, not some 2-bit outfit. If we fielded the same team on sunday we would destroy them, not just badly beat but destroy ha ha.

Unfair on Willo, Sage. He knows his limitations and played to them. I lost count of the aerial battles he won and played the safe ball back every time. It was Krul’s profligate kicking (again) that cost us possession, but I suppose the two go together – no confidence in the back line to play out from the back.

Cabaye – Worked hard, but too far back and had miles to run to restore that position when the play broke down. Consequently his final ball was usually always terrible not just wayward. I also think he carried himself in the same way as he did leading up to his injury. Sissoko – ok, but the superior Benfica midfield virtually nullified him for long passages. Jonas – a welcome return to the old Guti. I have no criticism apart from that, it’s a long time since my ears rang like that in SJP, it was magic. Puts to rest one posters’ theory I mentioned yesterday about lack of atmosphere.

One teensy criticism – I would have mad the Marv/HBA sub at HT and held onto the third sub halfway through 2nd half, but hey, what do I know? :D

The mackems are cowering in their horrible little dens dreading the humiliation on sunday.

• 59 outsidethebox // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Lilongwe Geordie ..have to agree re hairdrier ..carrs done it again ..the lads got bottle and talent ..left centre back and striker for next season …please mr carr

• 60 Williamsonsuks // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Yeah i’d have perch over him all day long. Did you see his volley, come airshot, come hack, come free kick his way. Got I haven’t laughed at a player like that since Zidane head butted the Italian bloke.
    Williamsonmademelaughbutstillsuks :)

• 61 aidantoon // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Very good effort from the lads last night! The second leg was always going to be hard due to first leg. If we play as good as that on Sunday we will take the 3 points.
    Thought willow played well last night so credit to him, and when Benny came on he made a big difference.
    Never been a fan of guti as apart from working hard that’s all he offers. Would love to see Marv and Benny start.
    It looked better when shola was upfront as cisse had more support. Would start guffy up with cisse on Sunday.

• 62 TorqToon // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Ok don’t want to alarm anybody…

But Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang’s representatives are meeting with Newcastle United today. Don’t know any more I’m afraid, but will try and find out.

Also read today that Liverpool are going to pay the £12mil fee for Ashley Williams!!!?!

£12 MILLION???!!!!!

Didnt we sign Haidara, Yanga, Gouffran and Sissoko for the same amount???

• 63 ajcrawfs // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM

My opinion on willimason is mixed, i thought he played okay, but was panicked on the ball didn’t do enough with it.

I would say he was average last night.

Yanga-Mbwia though was awesome apart from a 5min spell in the second half

• 64 ajcrawfs // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM

awesome news Torqtoon, to be honest never seen him play, is he worth the hype?

• 65 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Good morning,

Torq….But Liverpool are buying sensibly these days ;)

• 66 aidantoon // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Torq

You have got me excited now!!!!!!!

• 67 TorqToon // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Crawfs – Agreed mate. Yanga was flustered for a short time, willo seemed continually on edge.

However, he was excellent up against Luisao on set pieces and marked him outta the game. Hence the reason he was selected.

Simmo, whilst improving, isn’t up to the requoted standard. Whenever the ball was fed out to him, the play broke down as the ball either went sideways, or back to Timmy. We missed debuchy last night. He and haidara either side is mouthwatering!

• 68 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Pretty sure it’s been covered, but here’s my take on last night.

Pardew – Whether you liked the game plan or not, it was so close to working and I struggle to say he made the wrong choice. I can only imagine what state we would have been at 70 minutes when they brought Cardozo and Rodrigo on if we had been full on for 70 minutes.

Overall – 2 silly errors in the first leg cost us this quarter final against one of the favourites, it can certainly be argued that we matched them in many ways.

Perspective – People want to dismiss injuries a little too easily for my liking this season. If you couldn’t see the difference with Benny and Marv in the mix your nuts. Every great team have those game changers and even an overweight Benny made the difference last night. Plus Debuchy, Taylor, Gouffran & Tiote were nowhere the team.

Some great football to be watched last night, we can be proud.

• 69 TorqToon // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Ibiza – That’s what I thought my friend!! haha What are your feelings on last night?

Crawfs – Yes sir he is. People talking about him being a £20-25mil player are way off the track. I would say £12-13mil should secure him. The problem comes if several clubs show and interest. We won’t be part of a bidding war, if the price goes above say €15mil – I would walk away.

• 70 alex84 // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Woke up today and felt bloody proud of the lads last night, we almost did it, at least the lads came off the field knowing they gave everything, and fair play to the likes of Willo and Simmo, not at the level required but still came in and gave everything.
    Fair play to Pards the game plan was almost 100% perfect.

• 71 JAMSHA // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM

TorqToon

u sure pea deal is on :-o

• 72 BigKirky // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Class, Torq.

• 73 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Sorry for the repost!

Areet lads how we all doing? Calls for Pardews head started yet? If so those lads can take a running jump off the Tyne bridge!!!
    No doubt the likes of catchy and his crew have been on b1tching etc but they just don’t have a clue!

Just got back from the game and have to say am immensely proud of the lads and pardew tonight, and to be a supporter of this club the fans were fantastic even after the benfica goal they were still chanting the lads on, was a fantastic night on Tyneside regardless of the result

Just thought I’d give me thoughts on the match tonight!

Krul
    Pulled off some world class saves tonight absolutely top draw, well except for his David James moment in the first half!!!

Simmo
    Was absolutely solid tonight, really shocked me played a blinder at the back and linked up well going forward, could he be trying to play for an improved contract on Tyneside?!?!

Willo
    The odd hoofball but was like simmo solid at the back cleared every ariel threat broke down play and even played some football on the deck, had a job to do and done it well, great display from the forgotten man!

Yanga
    Another great display a few small errors but gave everything this lad is going to be some player for us next season!

Hiadara
    Close call for MOTM for me, gave absolutely everything he had, he defended he attacked he was just fantastic didn’t shy away from the occasion, santon has got a job on to keep his LB spot! Blinding performance

Bigi
    For me, he was the only disappointment tonight, I think the gravity of the occasion got to him, he was nervous his touches were heavy his passing was off , good little player but tonight just wasn’t for him

Anita
    Decent enough played well with the ball on the floor found a few tidy little passes played well

Cabs
    Poor cabs looked knackered tonight!!! No questioning his commitment like grafted his nuts off for the full 90 really taken to his new role as leader and gave 110% toon hero already!

Socks
    What an engine this lad has, never stopped running! Grafts all game creates some great chances just a very special player thought he brilliant tonight and lead the push at the death do unlucky to get caught out for there goal

Guti
    Can’t say enough about him at the moment, he’s had a new lease of life and looks a top player again, brilliant again tonight done everything anyone could of asked of him and more, brilliant tonight

Cisse
    Grafted hard again played well linked up well got his goal but seriously needs to learn the offside rule!!!

HBA
    Great to see him back, couldn’t miss him though ;)
    He got the crowd going, he got the team going and was unlucky with his chance but yeah he looked lively when he came on and defo started to make things happen

Marv
    Not sure how fit he was, but guessing that’s why he didn’t start!
    Once again fantastic tonight tortured there backline, controlled midfield bought a bit precision to our play, with him and benny in the team the mackems could be in serious trouble!!!

Shola
    Has his critics but played a great game tonight, kept the ball alive for cisse’s goal, won nearly all the ariel battles, held the ball up and generally bullied there back line!

Pardew
    Got it spot on tonight for me apart from bigi but set the team up right made the right changes and generally had the lads up for it, we’ll done pards!!!

• 74 LeToonARMY // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Graham and Bramble. could be for the scum on sunday and if we wre to sign PEA and Bony wilfred and another good center back i think we could dominate the premire league next season

• 75 Bambams // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I and I am sure several of us older bloggers will remember the two defeats in the pouring rain, game should have been called off derbies. …. As much as I respect the banter between genuine football fans I cannot wait for Sunday.

If saylor is back, debuchy and a half fit marv and benny…. ooh its mouth watering…..

Now I resd from Torq we are also looking at PEA….. :-D

• 76 Transfer Sage // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Torq

That’s good news. Did you enjoy the game last night?

I thought we were great, just didn’t get the break we needed.

• 77 Markaccus // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Wonder if we are going to have a trend of people posting footballers names linked with vegetables. I cant think of any appart from p.e.a. at the moment but there was a french rugby player called Carat.

• 78 TorqToon // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Jamsha – Not saying that a deal is on, or done or anything, but just that we are meeting with his reps.

I know this information to be correct, just as I know that we have met with St. Etienne in a formal capacity.

• 79 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Tads…Agree with all of that. Glad you made the trip? Sounded like the atmosphere was mental.

• 80 JAMSHA // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM

TorqToon

NOW IM GETNG EXICTED :-D

• 81 TorqToon // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Sage – It was incredible mate. Nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE can beat SJP on a European night!

We did fantastically. Stuck to the brief and the tactics were spot on. So nice to see Benny and marvs together. And whilst I’ve watched Haidara since he was a boy, now many of my fellow toon fans can see what I’ve been bleeting about and why I was buzzing when we signed the lad.

Roll on the makems!!

• 82 TorqToon // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Jamsha – Try not too. Plenty can happen in the world of transfers.

Solidifies our interest in the lad though!

• 83 Markaccus // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Torq… is it at the stage where i should start asking people on busses to see if they have any mates who know about the PEA deal? Thats where i found out about carrolls potential return. Us ITKs must stick together :D

• 84 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Great to see Haidara commit himself last night. You would think he might hold back a bit after his injury, but cor, what a battler. Got a great future that kid.

• 85 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Ibiza
    The second half alone was worth the drive, add to the the atmosphere, btw fair play to the benfica fans they never stopped really added to the atmosphere, then yeah defiantly glad I made the trip, just gutted I couldn’t get enough time off work to stay up for the derby :(!

• 86 Rainrix // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Honestly thought it’d be like the sack of rome on here this morning, glad to see everyones happy with the performance and tactics. Still bitterly disappointed our adventures over. To think 2 individual errors really lost this tie for us. Ah well onwards and upwards.

• 87 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Torq…All we can do is pursue the players, after that it’s down to themselves. So great to see the club tracking down more quality…what relegation threat? :)

• 88 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:53 AM

tads….Don’t want to be seen as greedy though :)

Were there any knocks or anything last night? I can imagine the lads will be well fired up for the mackems on Sunday – should be another SJP cracker.

• 89 TorqToon // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Mark – keep up the good work sir.

Maybe you can bridge out onto the metro as well!? Just an idea. :-)

It’s all quiet on AC so not sure what’s happening. You might know, hear more than I do. Although I read that WHU will bid £10mil for Carroll and not a penny more.

Part if me still thinks it could be well on the way to being wrapped up.

• 90 TorqToon // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Ibiza – Very true. We can only approach players, we can’t force them to sign.

If we could, kets would’ve nabbed scharner months ago!! :-)

• 91 TorqToon // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Rain – We are a different kettle of fish on here, compared to some of the jokers on here last night mate.

• 92 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 12, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Torq….Well we say we “can’t”, but have we tried yet? Honestly, chloroform, PEA, van…sorted. Stop making this ITK stuff harder than it needs to be. I’m sure when he wakes up to find he’s signed at Newcastle he’ll be happy with it.

• 93 TorqToon // Apr 12, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Ibiza you are a genius!

Plus my job allows me access to many different potions and sedatives that I could utilise!!

Why didn’t I think of this sooner!!? :-)

• 94 Markaccus // Apr 12, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Sorry about the length of the link. Hopefully you can see this pic.

• 95 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Torq…Needs must and all that :)

• 96 Edmond // Apr 12, 2013 at 10:10 AM