Cabaye – We Gave Everything On The Pitch

Newcastle didn’t manage to win 2-0 against Benfica last night, and go through to the semi-finals of the Europa League, but the team did everything but get that second goal in those final 20 minutes of the game.

yohan cabaye in action last night

Yohan Cabaye tries to score with free kick after 90 minutes last night

Apparently the lads were disappointed we didn;t go through – but they gave it all they had – everybody watching the game could see that.

This is what Yohan said on the Newcastle web-site immediately after the game:

“We gave everything on the pitch.” “We played well and we followed the plan. When we were winning 1-0, they were scared about the second goal we were close to.”

“Unfortunately we couldn’t do it. That is football but we have gained a lot of experience tonight because the game was good to play in and trying to claim back two goals is a good experience for the young players.”

“Playing in an atmosphere such as tonight was unbelievable. When Papiss scored, everyone was thinking that we could do it. We had a chance at the end but unfortunately we didn’t score again so we are sad tonight.”

“It wasn’t enough to go through but I think we have to be proud of our game tonight and now just look forward to Sunday and keep the crowd behind us for this big game.”

“The experience for me was fantastic, being the captain of this team. “I am proud of this football club, proud of everyone.” “The fans were amazing so I can’t wait for Sunday’s game and the derby.”

“I just want to win the game to move up the table but also for us and for the fans.”

Another excellent interview from Yohan – and we need him to lead the lads to a win on Sunday afternoon, against Sunderland,  and we’ll all feel a lot better – because basically we’ll be safe in the league.

And with our best players coming back, we could have a strong finish to the season – with just one game a week – that’s a piece of cake after what the lads have been through this season.

That’s what we are hoping for, after what was an excellent run in the Europa League – even with all the injuries we’ve had.

Note – today we are trying to help one of our readers, Bagus Asmanu – who is studying at INTO Manchester – in partnership with Manchester University – and Bagus is completing a dissertation – and some of the work is on the Wonga deal with Newcastle United – and he wants as many Newcastle supporters as possible to complete his questionnaire. Here it is – please help Bagus.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Novocastrian66

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Yet another hard luck story. I’m proud of the club, and the fans. Always have been always will be. It’s the board, managers and players that always fail as far as I’m concerned. I’m talking about our modern history here not just the current incumbents. Luck always seems to be against us when it matters also. Well never mind there is always next season.

• RonVanDam

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM

If only we can replicate the barnstorming finish we had last season without the everton defeat I could see use in the top 10

• RonVanDam

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:33 AM

I prefer Cabaye as captain, atleast i know how he truely feels about the club and fans and what he wants the team to do unlike Colo.
    Hope the captaincy doesnt lead him to another depression where he ends up personally taking responsibility for losses and poor form

• Jamiemac

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Just got back from Newcastle (finally)

Well what can I say, amazing performance by the lads tonight, I really really believed when Papiss scored that we would go on to score the second but it wasnt to be 🙁

Atmosphere was insane!!!

About tot read back over tonights comments, if I see anyone posting negatively about the performance I’ll go skits.

• toonhamu

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:22 AM

It’s a shame Cabaye was possibly our most disappointing player tonight, he could’ve been the difference. Honourable mentions for our full backs who I thought were excellent. Onwards & upwards

• Grafton83

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:42 AM

It was great to watch, HBA was brilliant, Jonas had another blinder.

I would still have liked to see Marv get on the pitch earlier but credit to Pardew our game plan was a good one and in the end we came very close.

Cabs didn’t have his best game, unusual for him.

Most importantly it was a performance we can all be proud of, indeed the whole competition has shown we are still a very good football club especially when you consider how many injuries we’ve had.

• KayZey78

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:57 AM

It was a great game to watch and I thought the subs where really good. Marv, Jonas and Hatem played very well together.

• roshan MAGPIE

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:06 AM

it was really mouth watering to watch Ben arfa marveux cisse and sissoko link up play and now I think we can go for top half finish this season since we don’t have any europa league distraction

• renzo

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Very happy with the performance of haidara. Next season he will be starting. Uninspiring first half but I understand the tactics. To win any trophy you need luck and not make defensive mistakes

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Is Cabaye carrying an injury? Last night he was totally off the pace, and every time Supersport did a close up he looked like he was either exhausted, or in agony and fighting on with gritted teeth.

Willo did fine, can’t put him at fault for too much, same with Simmo, I imagine that will disappoint a number of people. I’d be happy if both were to stay to be honest, but Simmo will definitely be gone.

The team performance, I thought we were poor/average in the first half. We went out to contain them, but we were a little lucky on a number of occasions. Still, we deserved a bit of luck. Thought Pards got the game plan mostly right, although I did feel Marveaux or Hatem should have been on maybe 5/10 minutes earlier. I felt we left it too late. Having said that, we had a couple of half chances to do it.

There goal is largely irrelevant to me, we didn’t do what we needed to, so them getting a late equaliser doesn’t really bother me.

The team staff and fans can be proud of last night. Now, lets get at Sunderland, get the three points and aim as high up the table as we can manage.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Great atmosphere last night Gallowgate was bouncing second half.

Have not seen Cisse’s off side goals. Told the first one was the second one touch and go.

Ref bottled it – booked every tackle near the end let one of their players off (would of been second yello card) when he cynically pulled back Sissoko near the end.

BUT – great to see Marvo and Benni in the same team running at their defence – Those two and Sissoko if we can keep them and keep them fit running at defenders with the ball are going to terrify opposition defences.

ALSO – Pardew got his tactics spot on and a metion for ‘Iron Mike” Williamson had good game for being out so long

• Bambams

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:23 AM

I had to rub my eyes for a fifteen minute spell during the second half. … It was fantastic attacking football. ……

If only benny had hit the target.

Roll on Sunday

• northernirishtoon

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Lilongwe

Are u serious?

I thought cabaye was awesome. I voted him mom. Most tackles, most interceptions, most passes and most shots

The man was everywhere and every thing we did went through him. I was really suprised at the lack of votes he had for mom but it just shows how good he is when everyone just expects that level of performance

What a pleasure it was seeing marv and benny on the same pitch. Very ‘Keegan’esque. Hope pardew can find a way to make that a regular theme

Roll on Sunday

• northernirishtoon

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Cabaye had most chances created as well

Forgot that one lol

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM

charlie

couldn’t get to the game unfortunately so had to watch it on tv. Both were offside, only just but offside from what I saw on replays.

I think it was a great effort by the lads, did everything we could have done and proud of the fight they showed.

This tie was decided by fine margins, twice we hit the post, twice we gifted them goals and twice we had offside goals ruled out…..at this level small things are crucial and 6 key ones went against us in this tie so was always going to be hard.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:36 AM

manx

if you are about this morning, sorry never got chance to reply last night.

I think this season has been very unlucky and also hard for Pardew. I don’t want him gone, happy for him to stay but also wouldn’t mind an upgrade if available.

I do think he has struggled and I don’t agree with how defensive we play this or last year but I do appreciate he is payed to win games not make us look good. I just think by being a bit more attacking, not full on keegan days, but more sir bobby, we could do better.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Transfer Sage
    cheers for letting me know
    hopefully no injuries and we take that performance and a little bit of luck into Sunday’s game.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:37 AM

northern irish

I think cabaye was solid enough, he did the basics pretty well, the only problem was like you say, he didn’t have a blinder like we know he can.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:39 AM

charlie

If we play like that we will destroy sunderland, they won’t create much against us, they are poor in that department and we have more than enough to score past them…especially with marv, benny, cabaye all feeding cisse and with sissoko’s driving runs.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:39 AM

NorhernIrish, I don’t think he had a good game, but he wasn’t bad. He also gave away a lot of fouls which had he been on the pace he wouldn’t have, some silly late challenges, a couple of tugs at the back of someone who shouldn’t have been past him. A number of people I’ve spoken to, some at the match and some who watched on tv have said the same. I think I saw a couple of other posters mention it too.

But, my main point of my mentioning it was to see he was carrying a knock? The TV pictures showed him limping a couple of times, and struggling to chase back on occasions. As well as him looking generally exhausted (some of this within the first 15minutes). More worried for Sunday and the run in then I am about his performance last night

• Patoon

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Must start marveaux against the scum on sunday, he’s our best player atm, when him and benny wer running at benfica they didn’t kno wot 2 do, imagine that against sunderland, they’l create far more for cisse 2, let play sissoko back in midfield with tiote and let cabaye hav a bit more freedom

• toonheroes

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Thought we did really well last night. Pardew got the tactics spot on in my opinion and the lads gave everything. They showed real fight and the crowd were fantastic. What more can you ask? Thought Shola and Cisse worked very well together as well and we very nearly did it. Ben Arfa and Marv look great, in fact everyone played out of their skin. So proud! Congratulations to Pardew and the boys. Roll on the scum. 3:0 HWTL

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:44 AM

On Cabaye
    I think he is wasted playing to deep – should be pushed further upfield in a more central midfield.
    Don’t know how we do it maybe – bring Perch in or take a chance Tiote in as the defensive midfield player

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Sage,
    Spot on, if we perform as we did yesterday, Sunderland won’t be able to cope. Man for man there isn’t a player I would swap from the 2 starting 11’s. If Marveaux Benny and Socks all play, then we could win comfortably.

I’m right in thinking they are missing Fletcher, Clattermole, and Gardner? Anyone else?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:52 AM

And before I forget, big mention foe Haidara. Thoughht he had a good game. Carr has done it again with this gem. 2million was he? Bargain at twice the price.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:54 AM

lilongwe

Not sure who else they have out but definitely those 3…we have a great chance.

Graham and whickam haven’t done much for sunderland and struggle to score when on so we should keep them quiet.

I think ben arfa and marv will be able to create chance for fun and cisse will have the beating of o’shea and kilgallon/bramble all day long with his movement.

I’m not sure who they have for centre mid to combat us…..will be the likes of colback, vaughan, maybe larsson in there..not good enough if we play well.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Sage,
    Do you think Ben Arfa AND Marveaux will start? I would love to see it, bu I imagine that probably would mean leaving Guti out, and I think Pards might want to keep his battling qualities in the side.

Is Tiote fit? I suppose Guti could move central and leave Tiote and Anita out, but I’m not a massive fan of him in that position.

Whatever team we play should have enough to get the job done. I can’t see where they will get a goal from unless it is a set piece. Larsson might be a tw@ and poor in open play, but he can hit a dead ball.

• Williamsonsuks

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Happy with the tactics and performance last night. If we’d went out all attack from the start, we’d have been slaughtered. Their defence was solid and pressed us in our own half, never seen a team look so organised at closing down their opponents. If we didn’t sit back in the first half (sorry to say it again) Williamson would’ve been exposed at the back. I think Williamson done ok but still had me nervous. Loved hus air shot when he kicked the Benfica player, and got a free kick 🙂

• Novocastrian66

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Just got in from work after night shift. I work in Sunderland and I overheard two makems talking about our performance last night. They thought if we play anywhere near as well on Sunday we will hammer them.

• Williamsonsuks

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Simpson played his best game last night, even made a few dribbles, neat 1 2 passing and even put a few crosses in. Jonas and Haidara look excellent on the left. Cabaye started really slow but looked better in the second half, although his free kicks were poor at best. Where dies Sissoko and Cisse get their energy from? Them guys have great engines. Honestly I thought Marveaux edged out Benny last night with flair and composure, both were great and can see Marveaux being just as good in a season or 2.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:31 AM

lilongwe

not sure, i doubt he will start both, ben arfa on the bench due to fitness i think.

• Markaccus

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Fantastic to see mostly posetive on here this morning. Lads played well even willo had a good game. Gutz was fkn tremendous last night. Benfica couldnt deal with him even when he dropped into LB. He was my m.o.m. Pards tactics and subs were spot on imo and had we nicked that second goal we would be calling him a genius. As it is he has at least earned some respect from his detractors. Not sure he’ll get it from some people like.

• Williamsonsuks

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Gonna stick a fiver on 4-1, the 1 will probably be an own goal, cant any them scoring 🙂

• Guj NUFC

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM

So unlucky not to get a fairytale finish to the game 🙂 but what a journey!!! I would give Danny Simpson a contract. Decent cover for R.B – will be hard with Raylor coming back though. On Hatem- he’s just the thing the club need right now, a massive morale boost and our best player is back!! 😀

Team to play the unwashed-

……………………….Krul………………………………………
    Debuchy….M’biwa….Taylor?…..Haidara…………….
    ………………Jonas…….Cabaye…………………………….BenArfa………..Sissoko………..Marveaux……………………………………Cisse………………………………………

• Williamsonsuks

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM

*see

• Markaccus

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Williamsonsuks…. in honour of his good game last night i think (just for today) you should drop the ‘suks’ from your name 😀

• NobbyNolano

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Immensely proud, both goals were definitely offside so there’s no point debating it. The damage was done in the first leg, onwards to the derby. Could do with a good thrashing to keep my spirits up.

• NobbyNolano

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Immensely proud, both goals were definitely offside so there’s no point debating it. The damage was done in the first leg, onwards to the derby. Could do with thrashing the mackems to cheer me up.

• NobbyNolano

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Didn’t realise that posted twice, sorry lads.

• Assam Toon

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Marv hatem cabs sissoko cisse at the same time was like a teaser of the next season,but sissoko disappointed yesterday and cabaye was not upto his high standards. Shola didnt set a foot wrong and when he was walking back after full time he had this expression…as if European nights are over for him.
    Bring on the mackems!!!